Are we cursed? Just wanted a vent

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Are we cursed? Just wanted a vent

Post by Cjay »

Genuinely.

This club just always seems to go round in circles.

Leaping from one disaster to the next

One crap signing to the next

One chancer owner to the next

All out for what they can get

Making stupid decision after stupid decision.

Other clubs progress and make good decisions

Get decent owners etc.

We get the odd glimmer but It always goes to s**t.

Comes across as a moan I know :lol:

But i don't get why it always seems to be the same

What is it about this club that attract the same idiots?

Same looser mentality

Same potless chancers

Booo

Feel better now, not really looking for replies just wanted a vent :lol:
Last edited by Cjay on Wed May 03, 2023 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Are we cursed?

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:40 am Genuinely.

Get decent owners etc.

Same looser mentality

Same potless chancers

Booo

You're not wrong Cjay. We are a shambles.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

That's what I posted yesterday.

We might change owners, players, mangers, tactics, kits, decades might go by, but the one absolute certainty is that Leeds United will screw things up. The screw up itself might change, sacking a good manager, appointing a bad one, financial mismanagement, crippling purchases, awful sales, insane owners...but there is always a disaster lurking around the corner with this club.

Big Sam and Robbie Keane. This one could be right up there in the top 10. And you know, they may keep us up. It's just...how did we go from where we were 2 years ago, to this? If you sat down and actually planned how to tear down something good, you could hardly do a better job.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Who would you change places with?

Chelsea? Man City? Newcastle? Do you honestly want what they've got?

Of the better run clubs currently, there's Brighton, and Brentford, but they're small clubs with no history, who are probably as close to their glass ceiling as they're going to get. They'll have their day in the sun, and sink back down to their level.

Which other club could've bonded with Bielsa in the way that we did, and embraced everything he stood for? There's an ethos there, however beleaguered, which I think is unique.

The problems we experience are down to the corruption inherent in the pursuit of unearned wealth. To be able 'flip' a football club in a handful of years and make hundreds of millions is not an environment which is likely to attract the scrupulous or the prudent.

The chances of such individual greed aligning with the common good of the club and community are vanishingly small... and here we are once again.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:14 pm Who would you change places with?

Chelsea? Man City? Newcastle? Do you honestly want what they've got?

Of the better run clubs currently, there's Brighton, and Brentford, but they're small clubs with no history, who are probably as close to their glass ceiling as they're going to get. They'll have their day in the sun, and sink back down to their level.

Which other club could've bonded with Bielsa in the way that we did, and embraced everything he stood for? There's an ethos there, however beleaguered, which I think is unique.

The problems we experience are down to the corruption inherent in the pursuit of unearned wealth. To be able 'flip' a football club in a handful of years and make hundreds of millions is not an environment which is likely to attract the scrupulous or the prudent.

The chances of such individual greed aligning with the common good of the club and community are vanishingly small... and here we are once again.
I had a long thought I was about to type out and post …..

…… but then thought … f**k it

this
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

I don’t really believe in any of that supernatural stuff but in relation to Leeds united there is absolutely no rational or natural explanation for the cycle you describe - you miss the fact we also always buck the form book e.g no team ever won a playoff first leg away and not got to final or any team or player on a losing streak you can guarantee they will break it vs us. So yes we are absolutely and hopelessly cursed.

Would I have it any other way? Maybe not quite as bad as it is but the ups and downs are what supporting a team should be about - not billionaires taking all the mystery and jeopardy away where all your left with is whether we can win 3 or 4 trophies a year - f**k that.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Cursed or intent on self harm. After all the seeds for the current malaise were sown during Bielsa’s reign. Even when we were enjoying life someone was hell bent on bringing it to an end.
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Wasn't really looking for responses or an argument or debate

Just wanted a bit of a vent :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

Yes we are cursed, who remembers when the club brought in a fortune teller to cleanse the ground decades ago.

It does seem strange that we are a one club city with a decent following and we can't do better or we get bad owners.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

WhiteRose wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:29 pm I don’t really believe in any of that supernatural stuff
I do, but I don't think it's that.

As an astrologer, it would be interesting to have the exact time, date and location of the founding of the club, and do a chart. You could then see if the major events, fortuitous and otherwise, coincided with particular alignments. I'd be surprised if they didn't.
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

SaraM wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:14 pmThe problems we experience are down to the corruption inherent in the pursuit of unearned wealth. To be able 'flip' a football club in a handful of years and make hundreds of millions is not an environment which is likely to attract the scrupulous or the prudent.
Exactly this ^^

Radz wanted a massive profit so he gambled (one time too many)! It isn't going to work is it? And it serves him right! Of course, it's the fans that pay. We have fallen massively in the last 18 months. Bielsa aside, the running of this club has been an absolute disaster! Do I think we are cursed? Absolutely not: I don't belief in that piffle...
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

BradWhite wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:39 pm Yes we are cursed, who remembers when the club brought in a fortune teller to cleanse the ground decades ago.

It does seem strange that we are a one club city with a decent following and we can't do better or we get bad owners.
Weren’t we the only ones to have skint Arabian owners too ? 🙁
Jimstorrie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Are we cursed? Just wanted a vent

Post by Jimstorrie »

All football fans have unrealistic expectations.
Some think their club have a right to win trophies every year, some think they are a big club and haven't won a title in 60 years.
Every fan thinks different decisions would alter things, especially when it comes to who is running the club.
Be grateful you're not a fan of Bury, Macclesfield, Oldham, Scunthorpe or Southend.
Bongo1874
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Bongo1874 »

Cjay wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:40 am Genuinely.

Get decent owners etc.

Same looser mentality

Same potless chancers

Booo

No similar too me we get carried away as football fans,I know My owners are not perfect, off the field there is serious issues that need answers.

That said on it they have the best interests for our club.

Appointing Eddie seems to have been a very astute move.

You're board had a big decision 2 years ago.

Did we overachieve with that squad ,that finished 9th,why did we overachieve?

Should of been the questions asked at board room level.

Second season they did struggle, but I'm a big supporter of Marcelo ,and take into consideration that once he got they injured player's back you stay up no problem.

Again that's just my opinion it isn't fact ,but I believe he has credit for finishing 9th with what was largely a championship level team, credited with a few others that could walk into any top 6 team on there day.

Phillips, Raph 👍.

The second question that needed ask is , can we get better than Marcelo currently,or should we let him build ,so we can challenge for European football,meaning ? The reputation of the club gets bigger, due too being in European competition, which attracts better manager's/ coaches and potentially owners that think they can push the club on even further, we got lucky at Newcastle in that regard.

You aren't cursed good support, though some don't like me I don't care.

😀👍.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Finnatic wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:07 pm Weren’t we the only ones to have skint Arabian owners too ? 🙁
Beggars belief, still makes me giggle to this day.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Apparently Romany gypsies were turfed off the land to build the stadium. Once Don was informed he set about lifting the curse by means of a Blackpool gypsy, and whether it worked or not Don became obsessed with superstition, wearing the same suit to games for example.

Recent events suggest when we visit Blackpool in 2 years time we should smuggle another gypsy back with us to repeat the hoodoo voodoo stuff.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Finnatic wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:07 pm Weren’t we the only ones to have skint Arabian owners too ? 🙁
Corrupt bunch of bankers :(
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:00 pmDo I think we are cursed? Absolutely not: I don't belief in that piffle...
Evangelist

:duno:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

SaraM wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:55 pm Occupation:
Evangelist

:duno:
My occupation says:
Master Chocolatier

It was my dream job but I was over qualified
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Just some thoughts and it isnt meant at dig at anyone.

The relationship between the fans and the decision makers at Leeds has always been a volatile one and perhaps our strength has at times become a weakness. Osmosis. We send vibes and they send vibes. Sometime the influences can lead to decisions that have long lasting consequences.

I might have mentioned this before.
Last season we were in hospitality happily having a drink and chat with fellow fans ahead of the game. My mate had spent a few quid in the shop and was showing some of the other lads the clobber he had bought.
It was baby clothes, kids pjs etc. All for his new granddaughter.

One guy quipped that did he know all he was doing was condemning another generation to a life long misery.?? We all laughed knowingly.

Leeds are a big name club, as such we make big headlines, we read the stories printed, get emotionally involved and the react. It's happening now, the amount of text messages I'm getting from others about Leeds current soap opera.

We go through cycles of hope, expectation, celebration, demanding. Frustration. Terror, then despair and shock. We are currently somewhere between the last three.

I think Leeds fans live with a constant foreboding that everything to do with the club is about to turn to s**t. It's always there. It cant last... we believe deep down that we live with a sort of collective anxiety that good times wont last...
It's like a compass that instead of always showing true north it shows us true calamity is always lurking..

Perhaps it's a feeling that we will never quite be good enough or admired enough by others, any success therefore is therefore cherished well beyond its real footballing significance. Eg Beckford anyone. We won a cup game there is no need to build a statue...

The fact that that moment is etched in Leeds history tells us more about how crap it has been than how good.

Revie changing the colours to copy Real Madrid comes to mind. While I admire his ambition and revere is achievements I always felt that revealed a sort of lack on our part...

The failure worry is inherited from earlier generations of fans who lived with the self same expectation. Its boom or bust for us. We dont do stability. Going along well?
Some scream we lack ambition. Not doing well? Here we go hysteria time....

It is almost unconscious. Im sure some of our more learned forumites might have a word for it.
A couple of examples from Bielsa season 1.

The belief that Leeds NEVER play well in December, and then April.And then we didnt.
Fans fretted about that on this forum in advance Hysterical almost. I wonder if at times by a process of osmosis we project that angst onto the club and on the decison makers.
Belief 2. The playoffs. No good us using them to promote becuase WE NEVER DO. So we failed. Prophecy was it or deep down were we all really surprised. It's what we do best.
Elland Road may be loud at times but the anxiety comes off the crowd in waves at times.

Hype.
Our expectations are through the roof. The wheel turns.
We promote and fans imo impatiently started the next cycle of expectation.
BACK WHERE WE BELONG. Push push push the board for better.
Push push, over extend, crash, bang wallop.
Snakes n ladders, guess what square we just landed on?

I'm sure our situation isnt unique we do love boom and bust at Leeds.

Hexed? No. But Freud would have a field day with us.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa