Marc Roca

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
JoeDenver
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4124
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Re: Marc Roca

Post by JoeDenver »

Phild wrote: ↑Wed May 24, 2023 4:39 am Betis must have their own version of Orta. Hope they like the look of some others Perhaps put a buy one get one free package together to take Lorente back to his home country.
One of many you would pay for their airfare to get rid
We have three Spanish players who are not Premier League quality…it would be a stretch to call them Prem quality squad players: Roca, Firpo, and Llorente. All three can go back home and I doubt a tear will be shed.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4519
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Marc Roca

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

We needed midfielders. And Roca was worth a punt for 10M. But it didn't take long to figure out why he never played at Bayern. He's been a complete turnover machine. And our weakest link in midfield for most of the season. Never even close to 90 minutes fit. Which I guess we are now blaming on Marsch and his training regime. Although I would be interested in Tyler Adams take on that.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155396
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Marc Roca

Post by 1964white »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Wed May 24, 2023 2:41 pm We needed midfielders. And Roca was worth a punt for 10M. But it didn't take long to figure out why he never played at Bayern. He's been a complete turnover machine. And our weakest link in midfield for most of the season. Never even close to 90 minutes fit. Which I guess we are now blaming on Marsch and his training regime. Although I would be interested in Tyler Adams take on that.
We had been better off with Klich or even Tyler Roberts.

Same with Joffy, had he not been out on loan, would be an option coming on as a sub, especially as we are not using Rutter, Joseph or Perkins.
User avatar
Tyzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4218
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Marc Roca

Post by Tyzy »

Roca, one of the worst midfielders to wear the shirt
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Marc Roca

Post by Jaydog »

JoeDenver wrote: ↑Wed May 24, 2023 12:57 pm We have three Spanish players who are not Premier League quality…it would be a stretch to call them Prem quality squad players: Roca, Firpo, and Llorente. All three can go back home and I doubt a tear will be shed.
Tears of joy most likely
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11786
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: Marc Roca

Post by Barlow Boy »

Tyzy wrote: ↑Wed May 24, 2023 4:49 pm Roca, one of the worst midfielders to wear the shirt
A touch harsh, as we have had some right old dross over the years, but I take your point.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
User avatar
Tyzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4218
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Marc Roca

Post by Tyzy »

Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Wed May 24, 2023 5:04 pm A touch harsh, as we have had some right old dross over the years, but I take your point.
Yeah maybe, I'm a bit that way out today !
Defo in the top 20 though 😁
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11786
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: Marc Roca

Post by Barlow Boy »

Tyzy wrote: ↑Wed May 24, 2023 6:04 pm Yeah maybe, I'm a bit that way out today !
Defo in the top 20 though 😁
:) :) :)
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4519
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Marc Roca

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

1964white wrote: ↑Wed May 24, 2023 4:29 pm We had been better off with Klich or even Tyler Roberts.

Same with Joffy, had he not been out on loan, would be an option coming on as a sub, especially as we are not using Rutter, Joseph or Perkins.
I won't disagree with this one Leon. Klich has been mostly good for my MLS club DC United. Who are climbing the table. Albeit at a level well below the Premier League. He still has some game in him. And his love of Leeds would have made him a valuable option under any Manager other than Marsch.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Overman
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3324
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 11:04 pm

Re: Marc Roca

Post by Overman »

1964white wrote: ↑Wed May 24, 2023 4:29 pm We had been better off with Klich or even Tyler Roberts.

Same with Joffy, had he not been out on loan, would be an option coming on as a sub, especially as we are not using Rutter, Joseph or Perkins.
Tyler Roberts? You're having a laugh, he's even more ineffectual than Roca. Another one who needs to be shown the door. Far better options amongst our youth.
King Hennessy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:04 am

Re: Marc Roca

Post by King Hennessy »

Its a shocker Gyabi was never given a run. It couldn't get much more ineffective then Roca or Greenwood. The lad should have been given a run..
From a far away land that some call "Chiraq"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155396
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Marc Roca

Post by 1964white »

Overman wrote: ↑Thu May 25, 2023 4:20 am Tyler Roberts? You're having a laugh, he's even more ineffectual than Roca. Another one who needs to be shown the door. Far better options amongst our youth.
I know :shock: but that's how bad we have become :( I was making an example that we sent out players on loan, because the ones on our bench are so ineffective.

Joe Gelhardt has struggled after his influential cameo's last season, but we've had none of that effect off the bench in recent months. Big mistake allowing him to go to Sunderland, bearing in mind the form/injuries to Bamford & Rodrigo.
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11786
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: Marc Roca

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu May 25, 2023 5:30 am Joe Gelhardt has struggled after his influential cameo's last season, but we've had none of that effect off the bench in recent months. Big mistake allowing him to go to Sunderland, bearing in mind the form/injuries to Bamford & Rodrigo.
The number of times I’ve stood there and thought, I wouldn’t mind seeing Gelhardt coming off that bench now with 15 minutes to go when we needed something.

I suppose the club, and our previous DOF in particular, thought Rutter was the answer but that’s a different story entirely.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155396
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Marc Roca

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Thu May 25, 2023 7:11 am The number of times I’ve stood there and thought, I wouldn’t mind seeing Gelhardt coming off that bench now with 15 minutes to go when we needed something.

I suppose the club, and our previous DOF in particular, thought Rutter was the answer but that’s a different story entirely.
What were they thinking?
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11786
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: Marc Roca

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu May 25, 2023 7:14 am What were they thinking?
You’ll have to ask them that one mate.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155396
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Marc Roca

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Thu May 25, 2023 7:17 am You’ll have to ask them that one mate.
They spend £37m on a young lad with no proven or PL goalscoring record, then allow our young star from last season who cost us next to nothing with the necessary experience to go out on loan. Surely it should have been Rutter going out on loan.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19705
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Marc Roca

Post by weasel »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Thu May 25, 2023 3:39 am I won't disagree with this one Leon. Klich has been mostly good for my MLS club DC United. Who are climbing the table. Albeit at a level well below the Premier League. He still has some game in him. And his love of Leeds would have made him a valuable option under any Manager other than Marsch.
How has Klich looked movement wise? I ask this because a lot of fans wrote him off because he'd soldiered on with a hip injury so hadn't looked as fluid in his movement. I did think though that after a full summer break, his first full summer break for a long time after having covid shortened seasons and international matches, that he may have been back to normal but we never really got to see enough of him under Marsch to tell.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19705
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Marc Roca

Post by weasel »

Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Thu May 25, 2023 7:11 am The number of times I’ve stood there and thought, I wouldn’t mind seeing Gelhardt coming off that bench now with 15 minutes to go when we needed something.

I suppose the club, and our previous DOF in particular, thought Rutter was the answer but that’s a different story entirely.
That's the key bit. You and other fans get a lift seeing Gelhardt coming on, it buoys the crowd up and gives the team a lift. THe fans and the team believe something can happen. Yes I would agree with fans who said Gelhardt didn't really do much this year but getting 5 minutes here and there was never going to keep him sharp. What he does have though is the fact that he had shown how much of an impact he could have, it wasn't a case of us wondering if he could do it. He ad proven himself when it really mattered, his crucial winnr against Norwich and his crucial assist against Brighton showing his calmness when everyone else were losing their heads. Even against Brentford he scored a superb goal only to be denied by an extremely close offside call.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11786
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: Marc Roca

Post by Barlow Boy »

weasel wrote: ↑Thu May 25, 2023 9:15 am That's the key bit. You and other fans get a lift seeing Gelhardt coming on, it buoys the crowd up and gives the team a lift. THe fans and the team believe something can happen. Yes I would agree with fans who said Gelhardt didn't really do much this year but getting 5 minutes here and there was never going to keep him sharp. What he does have though is the fact that he had shown how much of an impact he could have, it wasn't a case of us wondering if he could do it. He ad proven himself when it really mattered, his crucial winnr against Norwich and his crucial assist against Brighton showing his calmness when everyone else were losing their heads. Even against Brentford he scored a superb goal only to be denied by an extremely close offside call.
Couldn’t agree more, now I see the subs coming on and I just feel nothing. I pretty much know, nothing is going to change.

I’m not saying having Gelhardt here would have kept us up, of course not, but I’d rather see him coming on in the last 15 when we need something like the likes of Greenwood et Al (and that’s no disrespect to Greenwood et al).
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
User avatar
JoeDenver
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4124
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Re: Marc Roca

Post by JoeDenver »

weasel wrote: ↑Thu May 25, 2023 9:11 am How has Klich looked movement wise? I ask this because a lot of fans wrote him off because he'd soldiered on with a hip injury so hadn't looked as fluid in his movement. I did think though that after a full summer break, his first full summer break for a long time after having covid shortened seasons and international matches, that he may have been back to normal but we never really got to see enough of him under Marsch to tell.
I’ll take a stab at this, and Paul will likely have even more to offer. He scored a worldie to open up the season…the strike was superb. His composure and dribbling with the ball is still outstanding. Passing has been pretty decent and I think will only improve as the team gels/he settles in. He does look a touch slow. I’m not sure if that’s him losing a step or MLS being an athletic league, but that’s the one knock on him at the moment that I’m seeing.
Last edited by JoeDenver on Fri May 26, 2023 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
Post Reply