Life in The Championship 23/24 - manager, squad strategy

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Life in The Championship 23/24 - manager, squad strategy

Post by malcolmw »

Don't get me wrong, I'm still hoping for the miracle on the weekend .... we beat Spurs and Everton lose. But, sadly, I'm not depending on it.
Frankly, a part of me feels we don't really deserve to stay up, given the decisions off the pitch and performance on it this season. We escaped by the skin of our teeth this time last year - not sure we can really do it 2 years in a row - or even should (in the grand scheme of things).

So, moving on - how do we work to ensure we do a 'Burnley Bounce'? .....back in the PL in 24/25

- Who should we put in place as manager to start the season?
- Who should we sell to build the financial coffers?
- Who should we fight to keep in the squad?
- How do we start feeding in the U21's in a more deliberate way?
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Life in The Championship 23/24 - manager, squad strategy

Post by John in Louisiana »

malcolmw wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:46 pm Don't get me wrong, I'm still hoping for the miracle on the weekend .... we beat Spurs and Everton lose. But, sadly, I'm not depending on it.
Frankly, a part of me feels we don't really deserve to stay up, given the decisions off the pitch and performance on it this season. We escaped by the skin of our teeth this time last year - not sure we can really do it 2 years in a row - or even should (in the grand scheme of things).

So, moving on - how do we work to ensure we do a 'Burnley Bounce'? .....back in the PL in 24/25

- Who should we put in place as manager to start the season?

Pep Guardiola. He's done everything he can at the top level and needs a new challenge.

- Who should we sell to build the financial coffers?

I don't think we're going to have much of a choice. Rodrigo, Mckennie, Adams, and (probably) Harrison will be leaving simply because they will be wanted by so many above the Championship level. They probably won't want to stay.

- Who should we fight to keep in the squad?

Adams. Absolutely, but I don't think we have much of a chance of making that happen. At the very least we'd have to pay him his PL wages and i don't imagine that would sit well with all the other guys who will be getting cut bu 50% or more.

- How do we start feeding in the U21's in a more deliberate way?

That will be up to Pep when he gets here.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

There are 2 or 3 other threads on this already
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

John in Louisiana wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:57 pm
I love your optimism John. ;-) I'm sure sure the conversation with Pep would be a very short one!

Thank God Aaronson and McKennie will be gone. I too would like to see Adams stay, but doubt it. He will go on to another of the big leagues. Aaronson, McKennie - not so much!

Personally I think we need to try to keep Summerville, Sinisterra, Gnonto (no chance), and all the U 21's. I'd move at least half of them up to 1st team squad immediately. (But then, I'm a rose coloured glasses kinda guy - I have to be I'm a Vancouver Canucks supporter).
Just me, but I'd be OK with some of the old guard staying - Ayling, Coops, Harrison. I'd also keep Robles to mentor VDH.

If we can keep him, I'd make Wober captain (Ayling and Coops have been there, done that and don't have too much different to offer - mind you, they do have some of Marcelo's drive in their blood now!)
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:58 pm There are 2 or 3 other threads on this already
I couldn't find on and was sick of talking about Masch, so started my own???
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

malcolmw wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:22 pm I love your optimism John. ;-) I'm sure sure the conversation with Pep would be a very short one!

Thank God Aaronson and McKennie will be gone. I too would like to see Adams stay, but doubt it. He will go on to another of the big leagues. Aaronson, McKennie - not so much!

Personally I think we need to try to keep Summerville, Sinisterra, Gnonto (no chance), and all the U 21's. I'd move at least half of them up to 1st team squad immediately. (But then, I'm a rose coloured glasses kinda guy - I have to be I'm a Vancouver Canucks supporter).
Just me, but I'd be OK with some of the old guard staying - Ayling, Coops, Harrison. I'd also keep Robles to mentor VDH.

If we can keep him, I'd make Wober captain (Ayling and Coops have been there, done that and don't have too much different to offer - mind you, they do have some of Marcelo's drive in their blood now!)
Forgot to add .... I am at this point totally undecided about a manager. I'll probably get clobbered for this, but I'd be tempted to start the season with Big Ears Sam. :duno: