Rate the Window

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Rate the Window

Post by Kennyb41 »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:18 am Window now closed.

I will give it an 8/10. I think the 49ers did a pretty good job to be honest. Better than I expected. They clearly had a hand tied behind their back with the idiotic contract situations. But they have left Daniel Farke a talented Championship squad with depth at every position other than LB. I trust DF to make something out of all this.

Sucks to lose Sinisterra late but at least we got a replacement in the deal. Jaidon Anthony scored 8 goals in 40+ games in the Championship when AFCB got promoted two years ago. Then he struggled in the Prem. We are looking at him as a DEPTH piece. Not bad in my view.

I'm happy that Farke can now concentrate on football. I'm excited for the season.
This ^ :tup:

Df's done fantastic in 7 weeks, crack on.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
User avatar
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Rate the Window

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:55 pm It’s the “Life of Brian” window.
What have the 49ers ever done for us.
Welease Wodger :lol:
User avatar
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Rate the Window

Post by malcolmw »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:18 am Window now closed.

I will give it an 8/10. I think the 49ers did a pretty good job to be honest. Better than I expected. They clearly had a hand tied behind their back with the idiotic contract situations. But they have left Daniel Farke a talented Championship squad with depth at every position other than LB. I trust DF to make something out of all this.

Sucks to lose Sinisterra late but at least we got a replacement in the deal. Jaidon Anthony scored 8 goals in 40+ games in the Championship when AFCB got promoted two years ago. Then he struggled in the Prem. We are looking at him as a DEPTH piece. Not bad in my view.

I'm happy that Farke can now concentrate on football. I'm excited for the season.
I'd agree Paul. I also think the 49ers are clearly working with the manager and valuing not only the type of players he wants, but are valuing his input through the process.
Paraag referred to that in his initial interview after the ownership change.
This points to a more long-term, building approach.
Nothing's perfect, but it seems we are light-years further ahead than just 3 months ago.
User avatar
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Rate the Window

Post by malcolmw »

YorkshireSquare wrote: ↑Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:41 pm With deadline day looming, how do we think we've done? Eighteen out and eight in so far.


Incomings (8)
Ethan Ampadu
Karl Darlow
Joe Rodon
Joel Piroe (Loan)
Djed Spence (Loan)
Ilia Gruev
Glen Kamara
Sam Byram

Outgoings (8)
Adam Forshaw
Tyler Roberts
Rodrigo Moreno
Alfie Mccalmont
Stuart McKinstry
Tyler Adams
Joel Robles
Weston McKennie

Loans Out (9)
Brenden Aaronson
Sam Greenwood
Jack Harrison
Robin Koch
Rasmus Kristensen
Diego Llorente
SonnyPerkins
Marc Roca
Max Wober
Cody Drameh
OK so can those wiser than me (yes, yes I know that's most of you) explain how those 'loans out' will work at the end of the loan period?
Strikes me there are very few on that list we will want back. So how do we 'monetize' those loan deals?
User avatar
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 13931
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois

Re: Rate the Window

Post by John in Louisiana »

Have to agree with the general consensus of opinion.

Farke and the 49ers seem to be on the same page and working together, something that was clearly not the case under previous ownership. Very sorry to see Sinisterra go; clearly our most talented player. We did, however, get someone decent in return and if there's any place we could afford to lose someone it was a winger.

Most of all, we got the malcontents out of the way.

I am very much looking forward to the rest of the season.
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4519
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Rate the Window

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

malcolmw wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:04 am OK so can those wiser than me (yes, yes I know that's most of you) explain how those 'loans out' will work at the end of the loan period?
Strikes me there are very few on that list we will want back. So how do we 'monetize' those loan deals?
Hopefully every single one of them will be sold to help raise funds to build a true Premier League level squad.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Rate the Window

Post by malcolmw »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:17 am Hopefully every single one of them will be sold to help raise funds to build a true Premier League level squad.
That was where my thinking was going. Hopefully there aren't any promotion based clauses.
User avatar
JoeDenver
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4124
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Re: Rate the Window

Post by JoeDenver »

Been on the fence between a 7.5 and an 8. Had us at an 8-8.5 prior to Sini departing, but the Anthony swap reduces that slightly. Would’ve been a 10/10 if they had kept Sini and landed an extra no. 10 and an LB. So splitting the difference, how about a 7.75? Pretty solid and far superior to any transfer window since Leeds’ promotion…thus my excitement.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
User avatar
JoeDenver
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4124
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Re: Rate the Window

Post by JoeDenver »

malcolmw wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:04 am OK so can those wiser than me (yes, yes I know that's most of you) explain how those 'loans out' will work at the end of the loan period?
Strikes me there are very few on that list we will want back. So how do we 'monetize' those loan deals?
I echo what Paul said, but some of those loans won’t materialize into much…for instance Koch and Drameh’s loans will end at the same time that their contracts expire, meaning we won’t get anything for them (which is why I find the mention of an “option to buy” associated with Drameh’s loan a bit strange).

A part of me was hoping that given Marc Roca’s recent success at Real Betis, Leeds’ ownership could entice the Real Betis leadership into making the loan move permanent early so as to add additional funds for transfers (such as a No. 10 and LB, as I’ve mentioned before).

But given the benefit of hindsight, I think patience might be beneficial here. Should Marc Roca continue to impress, he’ll only command a higher sell-on fee (it’s a miracle what we were able to come up with in transfers with such a little war chest from the FFP restrictions).

That said, I think some loans should improve certain players’ values by season end (as evidenced by the Roca example). Sadly, I don’t see Aaronson or Rasmus as being among those players. I’m afraid we’ll be begging for $5M from someone for either player by season’s end. I do hope I’m wrong there…as much as it pains to say it, we want all of our loanees to be successful. If we get promoted, that will be “free firepower” incoming to the squad OR, as Paul said, it will allow us to recoup maximum funds to fund a true Premier League side.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
User avatar
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Rate the Window

Post by malcolmw »

JoeDenver wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:27 am I echo what Paul said, but some of those loans won’t materialize into much…for instance Koch and Drameh’s loans will end at the same time that their contracts expire, meaning we won’t get anything for them (which is why I find the mention of an “option to buy” associated with Drameh’s loan a bit strange).

A part of me was hoping that given Marc Roca’s recent success at Real Betis, Leeds’ ownership could entice the Real Betis leadership into making the loan move permanent early so as to add additional funds for transfers (such as a No. 10 and LB, as I’ve mentioned before).

But given the benefit of hindsight, I think patience might be beneficial here. Should Marc Roca continue to impress, he’ll only command a higher sell-on fee (it’s a miracle what we were able to come up with in transfers with such a little war chest from the FFP restrictions).

That said, I think some loans should improve certain players’ values by season end (as evidenced by the Roca example). Sadly, I don’t see Aaronson or Rasmus as being among those players. I’m afraid we’ll be begging for $5M from someone for either player by season’s end. I do hope I’m wrong there…as much as it pains to say it, we want all of our loanees to be successful. If we get promoted, that will be “free firepower” incoming to the squad OR, as Paul said, it will allow us to recoup maximum funds to fund a true Premier League side.
Radz and Orta's gifts that keep on giving!
We have to draw line on last season, even if we're still drawing it at the end of this one.
User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 15049
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Rate the Window

Post by YorkshireSquare »

JoeDenver wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:27 am Which is why I find the mention of an “option to buy” associated with Drameh’s loan a bit strange.

Due to his age I think. We are entitled to compensation but only if we’ve offered him a new contract.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155396
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Rate the Window

Post by 1964white »

I'll go with 8.5/10.

Well done the niners. :clap:
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155396
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Rate the Window

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote: ↑Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:35 am 3/10

business done far far far too late, still no LB, signings in centre mid are questionable at best

ampadu and piroe look like good signings

lost a lot of players because of the unwise loan release clauses they had

unable to convince several players to join (aarons, german cm guy)

piroe not on loan btw, think you meant to put it on rondon
Not the niners fault

Spoilt brats wanted Premier League/top European League, we can't compete with that.

3/10 is ridiculous!
User avatar
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Rate the Window

Post by malcolmw »

I'll give the window a solid 8. Always room for improvement, but given the chaos of where we started it, pretty damn good finish.
Knew we'd lose Sini, so didn't affect my score, and glad DF settled Willie down - at least for a bit.
User avatar
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Rate the Window

Post by malcolmw »

1964white wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:52 am Not the niners fault

Spoilt brats wanted Premier League/top European League, we can't compete with that.

3/10 is ridiculous!
Not only is 3/10 ridiculous, its just plain half-arsed - no consideration for the context.
User avatar
foxy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:42 am

Re: Rate the Window

Post by foxy »

Given where we were a couple of weeks ago then I think the owners and DF have done a pretty good job in assembling a competitive squad for this division. I still think we are exposed at LB and at number 10 but if gnonto Jimmy and pirloe can fire together we will cause most defences a load of grief. We seem to have plenty of DM and CB cover so spine should be ok as always the proof will be in how the various jicksaw pieces fit together which is where DF's magic comes in. At least we look like we might be challenging for a play off place rather than battling relegation which looked the case after the Birmingham performance. Key thing is that we give the manager the time to work out how best to mould this group into a consistent outfit and we all get behind him.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Rate the Window

Post by Jaydog »

malcolmw wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:39 am Welease Wodger :lol:
They did. His name is Luis Roger Sinisterra. The middle name comes from his Auntie.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Chilli D
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8792
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Rate the Window

Post by Chilli D »

I woke up this morning to the news that Sini had gone to Bournemouth on loan but out of nowhere we gained Jaydon Anthony!
Gnonto and Jimmy still with us - excellent news.
For me, the jury is still out on how well Kamara and Gruev will do but well pleased with the Djed Spence signing and Rodon, Byram and Ampadu have already done well.
Piroe will get us goals without question.
All in all, a decent transfer window.
7.5
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Rate the Window

Post by mentalcase »

I'm glad we still have gnonto & jimmy but, will we keep them in the next window !!
If we're doing well then maybe, but they've seen their petulant mates go and I think they'll want out too.
I hope DF sees through them and gets shut for the best price possible, I utterly detest players who want to hold our/my great club to ransom.
I don't want any of those asking for moves back, non.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 6766
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: Rate the Window

Post by Carrick Dave »

8 for me.

It’s good that Jimmy and Gnonto are still here since they’re best buddies and that might be the x-factor we need, they’ll enjoy tearing it up together this season.

Add Piroe, Ampadu and the increased depth elsewhere, what’s not to like.

Anthony may turn out to be the icing on the cake.
Post Reply