Gigs/Concerts

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22397
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by White Riot »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:03 pm Still love the first three albums, but I lost touch with him lyrically when he went a bit new age. He's a nice chap, though; donated quite a lot financially to stuff a friend is doing in Sheffield with deprived kids.
Yeah, he's always seemed like a very genuine, humble person, and that's a nice cause in Bluntsville.

I also like the early stuff, it's unique.

Last album I bought was Let It Happen, and I was a bit disappointed with it.

Kinda lost touch with Mike's stuff since then, but I have no doubt at all that he would still put on an awesome show.
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by mentalcase »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:20 pm I got sick of listening to rock music in the 90s. There wasn't much new that I liked, and I'd played all the old stuff to death.

A local bookshop sold 2nd hand classical CDs and the chap in there was quite knowledgable, so I started buying stuff he recommended based on other things I liked.

Listened to mainly classical music for nearly a decade. Still probably listen to classical about a third of the time.
I have it on in the car, helps me relax with all the knobheads on the road these days
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by mentalcase »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:15 pm Nice little festival at Castle Donnington:

https://www.offthetracks.co.uk/
A lot different from when I used to go, reportedly over 100,000 rock fans at the first one with Rainbow headlining, Cozy Powells last Rainbow gig as well.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by mentalcase »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:36 pm Off The Tracks is a different festival from the original Donnington one.
Yea looks good though sara, think I'd be heading to the real ale bar first.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
Musicman1965
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2151
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:11 pm

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by Musicman1965 »

My last gig was Amy Winehouse at Bristol.
She sang for an hour and was completely wasted by 55 minutes.
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by mentalcase »

Just booked for the"Pink Floyd by candlelight experience" at Conynanham hall.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79129
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by The Subhuman »

mentalcase wrote: ↑Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:43 am Just booked for the"Pink Floyd by candlelight experience" at Conynanham hall.
So is that listening to Pink Floyd CD's by candlelight or a tribute band? Either way sounds a great way to spend and evening
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by mentalcase »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:46 am So is that listening to Pink Floyd CD's by candlelight or a tribute band? Either way sounds a great way to spend and evening

50 Years of Pink Floyd - Performed by Candlelight Strings
They won't be appearing either, like Vivaldi ;-)
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79129
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by The Subhuman »

mentalcase wrote: ↑Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:56 am 50 Years of Pink Floyd - Performed by Candlelight Strings
They won't be appearing either, like Vivaldi ;-)
Ahh ok, get it now
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14661
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by hector »

I'm seeing a Floyd tribute band called All Floyd in September
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9761
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Has anyone ever seen anything at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester ? Seems to be mainly used for theatre but I seen The Slow Show there in 2018, prob the weirdest set up for a gig ever. Circular & only 2 rows deep and I think only 3 levels so you’re practically on top of the band. Brilliant place.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79129
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by The Subhuman »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:24 pm I've probably seen five or six different Floyd tributes. Still think the Australians are the best, but even that doesn't compare to Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets (whom I've seen three times).
I like the women who dress up in black leather mini skirts, Basques, stockings and high heels while covering Pink Floyd

Astronomy Dominatrix I think they're called
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79129
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by The Subhuman »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:17 pm Is that a thing, or a figment... I'll have to check now....
Absolutely tongue in cheek .. Imagine my surprise. Think it's a missed opportunity tbh

Cover bands that should exist
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18350
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Gigs (not that one!)

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Allah-Las at The Fleece in Bristol, last night :tup:

5E4801B0-0471-47C6-B60D-A53A9C50B83F.jpeg
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by mentalcase »

Pink Floyd, amazing orchestra
20230903_200855.jpg
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155422
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by 1964white »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:32 am Wishbone Ash - Derby Flowerpot

50th anniversary of the 1973 Live Dates album. Excellent, as always. Still the best live guitar sound.
My favourite guitar band of the early 70s, :bear: saw them many times in their pomp, Wishbone are brilliant live!

Love the twin-guitar sound of Andy Powell & Ted Turner, Andy with his flowing blonde hair, he is now bald as a coot 8-)
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14661
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: ↑Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:16 am My favourite guitar band of the early 70s, :bear: saw them many times in their pomp, Wishbone are brilliant live!

Love the twin-guitar sound of Andy Powell & Ted Turner, Andy with his flowing blonde hair, he is now bald as a coot 8-)
Stop gloating mop top :P
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
TonyT
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:34 am

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by TonyT »

Saw Coldplay at Wembley, brilliant. However my favourite gigs were all in the mid to late sixties. I saw the Stones a few times, the free concert in Hyde Park was really good. I saw the Yardbirds, firstly with Clapton and then a couple of years later with Page. I much preferred Jimmy Page. The best gig I ever went to was in late 1964 at the Marquee Club. It was a band I'd not heard of until then. The Who. It was a few months before they released My Generation. That was the most exciting gig I've ever been to. The cost of replacing their instruments must have been far more than they were making. Their version of Smokestack Lightning remains the best version I've ever heard.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155422
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by 1964white »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:37 am Incidentally, Dan Eccles from Richmond Fontaine is also up there with the best.
Dan is excellent, Sara :tup:
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155422
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by 1964white »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:32 am Andy Powell has the best live guitar tone I've ever heard, and I'm a lifelong nerd for these things. His current foil, Mark Abrahams, is also very good.

Here he is talking about his relationship with the Flying V:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytg3HAg-F-o
Totally agree, as I posted earlier, my favourite live guitar band.
Post Reply