Struijk or Rodon - Who Is The Better Centre-Back?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Struijk or Rodon - Who Is The Better Centre-Back?

Struijk
10%
Rodon
90%

Total votes: 20

AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Struijk or Rodon - Who Is The Better Centre-Back?

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

I see this a little like Joel and Georgi, and the hybrid-like role DF has them deployed in--each has different strengths and weaknesses where Farke is trying to maximize the former and downplay the latter. It's a little different with Pascal and Joe, but there are several similarities that other posters have pointed out.

I think in part the division of labor between the two comes down to the role they’re playing on the pitch--Pascal as Meslier's main offensive outlet (which could be in part due to Mes's left-footedness) and Joe as more of the anchor of the defensive line.

In the time that we've seen them, I think Pascal is a more versatile overall player. For example, his completion rate of 88.4% from 904 attempts highlight his offensive role. His other offensive contributions are also pretty significant, with 8 shots in the season and an xG of 0.9, making him a threat on set pieces. Defensively, while he has made 15 tackles, his aerial duel win rate is 61.2%, a little lower than Joe's.

Joe, on the other hand, despite playing fewer minutes, has made a greater impact without the ball, with 13 interceptions and an aerial duel success rate of 68.8%. His 100% tackle success over 6 attempts underscores his precision in challenges. On the other side of the coin, Joe has attempted 6 shots, though none were on target. Joe's passing is consistent with an 88% completion rate, but he has been less involved in ball progression than Pascal, with fewer overall touches and carries--Pascal has 640 progressive carries for 2,499 yards to Joe's 244 carries for 697 yards.

Any way you slice it, it seems like they are complementary players, with each player's weaknesses still being pretty dang good.
In Farke we trust...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:06 am I see this a little like Joel and Georgi, and the hybrid-like role DF has them deployed in--each has different strengths and weaknesses where Farke is trying to maximize the former and downplay the latter. It's a little different with Pascal and Joe, but there are several similarities that other posters have pointed out.

I think in part the division of labor between the two comes down to the role they’re playing on the pitch--Pascal as Meslier's main offensive outlet (which could be in part due to Mes's left-footedness) and Joe as more of the anchor of the defensive line.

In the time that we've seen them, I think Pascal is a more versatile overall player. For example, his completion rate of 88.4% from 904 attempts highlight his offensive role. His other offensive contributions are also pretty significant, with 8 shots in the season and an xG of 0.9, making him a threat on set pieces. Defensively, while he has made 15 tackles, his aerial duel win rate is 61.2%, a little lower than Joe's.

Joe, on the other hand, despite playing fewer minutes, has made a greater impact without the ball, with 13 interceptions and an aerial duel success rate of 68.8%. His 100% tackle success over 6 attempts underscores his precision in challenges. On the other side of the coin, Joe has attempted 6 shots, though none were on target. Joe's passing is consistent with an 88% completion rate, but he has been less involved in ball progression than Pascal, with fewer overall touches and carries--Pascal has 640 progressive carries for 2,499 yards to Joe's 244 carries for 697 yards.

Any way you slice it, it seems like they are complementary players, with each player's weaknesses still being pretty dang good.
Excellent stats & summary, Ash. :tup:

Weirdly this poll shows that Rodon is the better CB by a wide margin, however our MOTM & Player Ratings paint a totally different picture.

I still believe Joe's immense work goes unnoticed, the love for Pascal sways people's opinions when he is often on the ball passing the ball five yards to his left, I'm surprised after our shambolic defensive display at Southampton.

After saying that, Pascal was easily our best defender/player at St Mary's.

We missed our main man that day & will no doubt do so again, if he's unavailable this season.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

rodon's only played 7 or 8 games and already he's better than struijk :lol: come on people
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

danhirons wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:29 am rodon's only played 7 or 8 games and already he's better than struijk :lol: come on people
Never underestimate the attraction of emperors new clothes.

I don’t tend to make comparisons, every player has strengths and weaknesses. In the modern game pace is the most sought after attribute. Up front it wins free kicks and in defence it allows teams to play a higher line and put the squeeze on the opposition.
Rodon has pace and because of that we are better as a defensive unit. PS knows that he has great cover alongside him so he can play to his strengths
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

it wont matter again , because when in all probability leeds dont get promoted , rodon will go back to spurs .
its another ben white situation , we wont be able to keep hold of him stuck in the championship :tup:
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'm not interested in who's the better.

What i am watching is how they get on alongside each other, not tested enough yet, but a promising partnership developing for the Championship, if it so happened DF wanted him, i think Spurs would be prepared to sell.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

Rodon. Struijk has become a much better player since Rodon joined. That means they suit each other. Always believed Struijk was going to be a star: just needs to be in the right pairing. Hopefully he will push on from here and get better and better...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:33 pm I'm not interested in who's the better.
My point was Pascal is receiving all the plaudits in our MOTM & Player Ratings polls with Rodon way behind in the voting process.

Rodon leads this poll 18-2 which makes no sense, but proves my point.

Maybe folk will take note what Joe gives us in games just as much as Pascal does.

What a CB pairing :clap:
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

1964white wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:38 am My point was Pascal is receiving all the plaudits in our MOTM & Player Ratings polls with Rodon way behind in the voting process.

Maybe folk will take note what Joe gives us in games just as much as Pascal does.

Or vice versa, maybe folk should have given Pascal more credit in this vote, as they have in the weekly MOTM'S.
Swings and Roundabouts.
FWIW I didn't vote. Marching on TOGETHER.
Whats next ? Ampadu v Archie ?
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

If we are doing comparrisons how would you rank
Hunter/ Charlton
Radabe/ Woodgate
White/ Cooper
Rodon/ Struijk
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

This is all getting very treacherous.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:38 am My point was Pascal is receiving all the plaudits in our MOTM & Player Ratings polls with Rodon way behind in the voting process.

I understand and see where you're coming from Sid, I think you'll find that's down to mainly Faaip and if there are any more - the Orta lovers, that seemingly want to jump on any few and far between glimpses of success relating to him, but will be continually weighted down by his multiple multiple multiple failures.

If anyone has been a revelation it's Bygum, playing out of position, giving 100% and producing some displays worthy of MOTM, confounding a lot of critics here.

I would also put Rodon in front of PS if i had to, but i don't get to games and people like Heidi are the true judges, because tv action follows the ball and you don't see any off the ball work and effort, so including Les Mes and especially Ampadu, the clean sheets are a team effort.

I see your point, but i myself don't want to label any of them better than the other after 11 games and why i say that they seem to compliment one another.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:30 am If we are doing comparrisons how would you rank
Hunter/ Charlton
Radabe/ Woodgate
White/ Cooper
Rodon/ Struijk
Best CB
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:30 am If we are doing comparrisons how would you rank
Hunter/ Charlton
Radabe/ Woodgate
White/ Cooper
Rodon/ Struijk
Best footballer
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:11 am I understand and see where you're coming from Sid, I think you'll find that's down to mainly Faaip and if there are any more - the Orta lovers, that seemingly want to jump on any few and far between glimpses of success relating to him, but will be continually weighted down by his multiple multiple multiple failures.

If anyone has been a revelation it's Bygum, playing out of position, giving 100% and producing some displays worthy of MOTM, confounding a lot of critics here.

I would also put Rodon in front of PS if i had to, but i don't get to games and people like Heidi are the true judges, because tv action follows the ball and you don't see any off the ball work and effort, so including Les Mes and especially Ampadu, the clean sheets are a team effort.

I see your point, but i myself don't want to label any of them better than the other after 11 games and why i say that they seem to compliment one another.
But that's my point Kenny Boy, the match day polls are claiming Pascal is far better, whereas this poll is showing otherwise, when effectively they should be on an equal standing.

Btw, Barlow & myself are attendees at games, as well as Heidi, all three of us are season-ticket holders.

Until we were promoted to the prem & attracted an extra 50,000 fans, I was attended 100's of away games in the championship & when we were :poo: in League One.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Madron wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:37 am This is all getting very treacherous.
No it's not!

Perfectly good reasoning as I see it.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Madron wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:19 am Or vice versa, maybe folk should have given Pascal more credit in this vote, as they have in the weekly MOTM'S.
Swings and Roundabouts.
FWIW I didn't vote. Marching on TOGETHER.
Whats next ? Ampadu v Archie ?
No, as there is no need to.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Hunter/ Charlton
Radabe/Woodgate
White/ Cooper
Rodon/ Struijk
Imo!

Cooper doesn't come close, bless him.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:26 am Rodon. Struijk has become a much better player since Rodon joined. That means they suit each other. Always believed Struijk was going to be a star: just needs to be in the right pairing. Hopefully he will push on from here and get better and better...
I think the pairing is definitely a big contributor, Victor. However, I also think there's a lot to be said for DF's system and how it specifically uses Pascal. For example, the fact that he more regularly has the ball at his feet as the main option. Of the starting point for the building up. Add to this the fact that he's finally getting to play his primary position, on a regular basis, with strong players on all sides of him, especially Ampadu and Byram--seems all around like a recipe for success.
In Farke we trust...
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:28 am But that's my point Kenny Boy, the match day polls are claiming Pascal is far better, whereas this poll is showing otherwise, when effectively they should be on an equal standing.

Btw, Barlow & myself are attendees at games, as well as Heidi, all three of us are season-ticket holders.

Until we were promoted to the prem & attracted an extra 50,000 fans, I was attended 100's of away games in the championship & when we were :poo: in League One.
Whit Woo Sidney.

Was you up at the crack of dawn for Soton.

Sid don't chew the fat over a couple of players, PS also seems to be getting the plaudits in the press as well, whilst Rodon is going un-noticed, it happens, some players slip under the radar.

He's done alreet has the lad Rodon, he's one of those that gets noticed for the sending off and some bad things, s**t happens, his sending off fcked up his 'holier than thou' image i should imagine, whilst 'Twinkle toes' has scored a goal and seems heavenly.

The whole defensive unit seems better under DF, but it's mainly down to our style of play and formation, with Ampadu reading the play the best of the lot of em whilst helping out when oppo's are on the attack.

It's an interesting pairing, so let's watch what makes them tick and have they got good communication.

Leicester are coming up, that should show us where they're at.

Let's put it this way, myself and probably most are more concerned about Rodon getting injured than PS.

;@)