Chelsea v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Chelsea v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

28th February 7:30pm | Stamford Bridge

Fresh from their latest heroics, Leeds find themselves back in midweek action, with a trip to Stamford Bridge in the last sixteen of the FA Cup. The Whites are hitting a purple patch that even Massimo Cellino would have been in awe of. Nine straight wins have propelled them to second, and find themselves just six points from top spot! In essence, Wednesday's game is a free hit for Farke's men. They are not expected to get anything from it, but face an out of sort Chelsea side, desperate for silverware.

Despite Chelsea's recent setback in the League Cup Final against Liverpool, Farke believes this loss will only fuel their determination to secure a spot in Europe next season. Acknowledging that qualification via the league is a remote prospect, he anticipates a highly motivated Chelsea side for this encounter. For those keen on exploring the odds and placing strategic bets on this intriguing match, bettors can visit bettors.co.tz to stay in the game.

Farke acknowledges the significance of the FA Cup, considering it has the richest history in Western Europe. He emphasizes that the competition holds the same priority as the league, and the team aims to represent the club in the best possible way. With Leeds currently in the race for promotion to the Premier League, Farke emphasizes the need to be cautious with player selections, especially heading into a busy period.

The upcoming match against Chelsea is seen as a spotlight game, and Farke expresses the team's desire to achieve the best possible result. However, he mentions the challenge of facing such a crucial fixture amidst a tight schedule, questioning the choice of an early Saturday kick-off. Despite the underdog status, Farke emphasizes the importance of concentrating and preparing effectively for the game.

Regarding the pressure on Chelsea, Farke asserts that Leeds feels the responsibility to represent the club in every game. He dismisses any notion of fear, acknowledging Chelsea's fantastic potential. Mauricio Pochettino has two days less to prepare, but the strength in depth at his disposal is far greater than Leeds, as they prepare for a rematch of the 1970 FA Cup final.

Despite being on a great run, Farke views Leeds as the underdogs and emphasizes the need to make smart decisions with three upcoming league games. He reiterated the team's commitment to being themselves, aiming to play bravely and defend effectively. He emphasizes the competitive spirit as Leeds travels with a determined eleven on the pitch.

Turning to team news, Farke provides updates on player injuries. Patrick bamford has shown a reaction to his calf, and there is uncertainty surrounding Summerville. While Dan James has a minor bruise, Rutter is dealing with hip flexor problems, with a late decision expected on his availability. On a positive note, Sam Byram is back in team training and is considered an option for the game.

Addressing Summerville's ankle injury, acknowledging the challenges for a young player in a demanding season. While emphasizing the need for caution, Farke appreciates Summerville's standout performances and highlights the importance of adapting to the physical demands of professional football. Despite less-than-ideal training circumstances, the focus is on making smart decisions for the player's well-being.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Chelsea v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'm presuming this is Poch's best team atm, it's the same team he played v Citeh last week as well as today v Liverpool.
Be interesting what he does against us

Petrovic

Gusto - Disasi - Colwill - Chilwell

Caicedo - Fernández

Palmer - Gallagher - Sterling -

Jackson
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I wouldn't say they're out of sorts now he seems to have found his 11.

I think they could be out of sorts if he meddles a lot.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Btw, Mad as a box of frogs Cellino would've already sacked DF after our start.

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:40 pm I'm presuming this is Poch's best team atm, it's the same team he played v Citeh last week as well as today v Liverpool.
Be interesting what he does against us

Petrovic

Gusto - Disasi - Colwill - Chilwell

Caicedo - Fernández

Palmer - Gallagher - Sterling -

Jackson
I think Chelsea will put out their best 11 available. That may mean a few changes given they're playing 120 minutes today. But with nothing doing in the league, you know they'll want to do what they can in the cups.

Chelsea could probably field 3 lineups that would beat us. But I don't know how many of their thousands of signings are still with the club. Obviously many would have had to go out on loan since they can't register them all.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Chelsea could probably field an "Out On Loan 11" that would beat our best 11

Kepa, Lukaku, Broja, Ziyech, Angelo
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I don't think Farke will go with a full rotation

Doubt he'll go as far down the order as Joseph, Shackleton, Cresswell, Gelhardt. I think he wants us to be competitive and to avoid an embarrassment.

But I can see him rotating a few others. I think in every cup game he's rotated the wingers

Meslier
Roberts, Rodon, Cooper, Firpo
Gruev, Kamara
James, Rutter, Anthony
Piroe
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Having lost the Carabao Cup, Chelsea will be 100% into the FA cup now

With a squad their size, the need European football
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:30 pm I think Chelsea will put out their best 11 available. That may mean a few changes given they're playing 120 minutes today. But with nothing doing in the league, you know they'll want to do what they can in the cups.

Chelsea could probably field 3 lineups that would beat us. But I don't know how many of their thousands of signings are still with the club. Obviously many would have had to go out on loan since they can't register them all.
I'll stick my neck out Andrew and say there'll be at least 6 changes to what started today for Chelsea.

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:56 pm I'll stick my neck out Andrew and say there'll be at least 6 changes to what started today for Chelsea.
Maybe. But I think he's only making changes based on tired legs.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:10 pm Maybe. But I think he's only making changes based on tired legs.
He might underestimate us as well and think he can put any 11 out, he has the squad,

Either way it's gonna be interesting to say the least coz DF will go strong with only a couple of changes to our best.

They play Brentford away Staurday and he'll want to finish as high as possible in the league.

;@)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:10 pm Maybe. But I think he's only making changes based on tired legs.
I'd love it if we beat them.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:11 pm I'd love it if we beat them.
Said Kevin keegan
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:37 pm I don't think Farke will go with a full rotation

Doubt he'll go as far down the order as Joseph, Shackleton, Cresswell, Gelhardt. I think he wants us to be competitive and to avoid an embarrassment.

But I can see him rotating a few others. I think in every cup game he's rotated the wingers

Meslier
Roberts, Rodon, Cooper, Firpo
Gruev, Kamara
James, Rutter, Anthony
Piroe
No point playing if that's our motivation...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:16 pm No point playing if that's our motivation...
Hence the point. I only think Farke will make 4 or 5 changes as opposed to 11
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:23 pm Hence the point. I only think Farke will make 4 or 5 changes as opposed to 11
I've no clue why you wouldn't go for it .... QF's next round, Coventry there already. Revenge for the 87 SF on the horizon
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:34 pm I've no clue why you wouldn't go for it .... QF's next round, Coventry there already. Revenge for the 87 SF on the horizon
Wouldn't that be something if we played Coventry again in the semi and beat them to get into the FA Cup Final as a second tier team like we should have done in 87.
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

Seems there are plenty of injury worries floating about on Twitter for Chelsea game …. Bamford, Jimmy, Rutter, James
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:23 pm Hence the point. I only think Farke will make 4 or 5 changes as opposed to 11
It's being reported that Maresca is going to make 11 changes for the Bournemouth game so it shows he's totally prioritising the league.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

We need to put out a strong side and give a good account of ourselves. It's Chelsea scum at the end of the day, and a place in QF's at stake. Starting with the likes of Gelhardt, Joseph and Shacks is a no go.