Heidi's Blog - Chelsea, FA Cup 5th Round

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @FollowMeAndLUFC

Heidi's Blog - Chelsea, FA Cup 5th Round

Post by Lufcheidi »

Chelsea v Leeds United | 28th February 2024 | Stamford Bridge
FA Cup 5th Round

A big thank you to everyone who shared photos of me against Leicester on Friday night as well as the uncut video from Leeds United from being pitch side with Archie Gray before the start of the game. I’ve had some fantastic comments from some of you which are all greatly appreciated. Being told Billy Bremner would be proud to have me as an ambassador, what I do off the pitch makes me a good ambassador, plus my blog shows the passion of following Leeds as well as making others feel as if they are at the game are all priceless comments for me. Obviously not everyone knows who I am or what I do, but after handing a couple of paracetamols over to a lad, I asked the group if they wanted their photos taking which they did. To be then asked by another bloke who I think was with them, “why was I taking photos of young boys?” made me laugh as I said I do a blog. Age of anyone doesn’t come into it as far as I’m concerned because we are all Leeds fans, but I’ve no idea what he thought I was doing in the middle of a football crowd!

Sadly, my dream of winning the FA Cup is over for this year but I am proud of the team and proud to be a Leeds United fan. They battled and were very unlucky in the end to go down to a winning goal in the 90th minute of the game. As long as they give their all, that’s all we can ask for. The trip itself went very smoothly apart from the police not letting our coach through even though it was booked in for disabled fans. It wasn’t even allowed to come through at the end of the game despite having a permit either which meant a very long walk back to it. It’s okay for those of us able to do that, but a big struggle for many of our fans and realistically, if you are a football fan, you get treated differently than the man on the street. Also, after hearing at the end of the game about a Leeds fan falling from the top tier when we scored our first goal, it sounded very serious as it took around 20 minutes before him being taken away on a backboard by the ambulance crew. From what I’ve just heard, it sounds like he is going to be okay thank goodness and fingers crossed will be released from hospital later today.

With a vociferous backing from the Leeds fans in the Shed End, I was surprised that Chelsea used a song that I can remember being a Spurs favourite. Leeds fans adapted the words to give them some stick and say we’re Leeds. We got off to a fantastic start when Gray started the move by winning the ball back, then Anthony gave it to Joseph who hit a great shot into the net to send everyone into a frenzy. That was just the start we needed but it didn’t last long as Chelsea equalised seven minutes later. That was disappointing but it was noticeable that they seemed to have both men on the wings in a lot of space when they stepped up the pace. Meslier stuck out a foot to save a shot but then with a clinical move they took the lead just before half time and led at the break.

When we came out at the start of the second half, Cooper was strong in his tackles to win the ball for Leeds. It gave hope as Leeds spurred on by our fans, equalised again with Anthony once again the provider with great control, after an up and under pass from Ampadu. This time it was a header that Joseph powered into the net in front of the jubilant Leeds fans showing the tie wasn’t over yet. It was always going to be the case that Chelsea would raise their game as they were playing us. I also didn’t realise it was over 50 years since we’d last played them in the FA Cup. Sadly, it was Chelsea who sent a pinpoint pass through the centre of our defence in the final minute of normal time to put the ball into the net to win the game at the death. They did have a man in an offside position but must have been classed as not interfering with play by the look of it. Up until then, we hadn’t even heard the Chelsea fans but unsurprisingly, they started singing then!

It wasn’t to be, but we matched them and played very well especially considering all the money their players cost in comparison to ours. I’d much rather have our players though but I’m blaming BBC Radio Leeds for only wanting to speak to me in the morning if we won. The last time they said the same we lost too so think we need to change the mindset. The one thing Chelsea did get right was the music before and after the game. It gave good vibes and once again the Leeds fans stayed in the stands singing away despite losing. Now my dream of winning the double is over, Saturday sees us back in league action as we head down the road to our near neighbours Huddersfield. I will be driving to this one so will head there early to make sure I’m okay for parking.

Before I finish my blog, I want to give a shout out to one of my Selby Whites Rupert, who has just started treatment. We go back a long way as he was one of my regulars when I started running the Selby Branch of the Leeds United Supporters Club in 1985. Keep fighting, good luck and sending lots of strength and love to you and your family.

LUFC – Marching on Together!

Leeds lost the game 3-2 with Joseph getting a brace (8, 59)

Team: Meslier, Cooper, Rodon, Roberts, Firpo, Ampadu, Piroe, Joseph, James, Anthony, Gray

Subs: Summerville for Piroe (78), Gnonto for James (78)

Unused Subs: Klaesson, van den Heuvel, Bamford, Shackleton, Cresswell, Byram, Kamara

Attendance: 37,892 (5,366 Leeds Fans)
Referee: David Coote
Booked: Firpo

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Heidi's blog Chelsea v Leeds FAC5 28.2.24

Post by 1964white »

Nice photos Heidi, you even manage to snap one of Gareth Southgate in the last photo. ;-)
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

1964white wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:53 am Nice photos Heidi, you even manage to snap one of Gareth Southgate in the last photo. ;-)
Had me looking to see but haven’t worked it out as yet
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Lufcheidi wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:04 pm Had me looking to see but haven’t worked it out as yet
Screenshot 2024-02-29 21.47.19.png
Screenshot 2024-02-29 21.47.19.png (304.02 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Heidi's Blog - Chelsea, FA Cup 5th Round

Post by Kennyb41 »

Thanks, one of the better travelling losses i should imagine.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

1964white wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:48 pm Screenshot 2024-02-29 21.47.19.png
He was the one who said about me taking the photos. I hadn't realised he was in it.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Heidi's Blog - Chelsea, FA Cup 5th Round

Post by Lufcheidi »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:15 am Thanks, one of the better travelling losses i should imagine.
It was yes as I didn't feel too disappointed at the end as we played well. Think we could have won it but it felt like we'd gone as far as we needed to.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Lufcheidi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:49 pm He was the one who said about me taking the photos. I hadn't realised he was in it.
He's hardly that Young himself Heidi. :) Nice shout out for your pal at the end there. I thought the team did us proud especially the one's coming in. Poch was the one looking stressed towards the end of the game as it seemed to be slipping away from them.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

Leeds1000 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:31 pm He's hardly that Young himself Heidi. :) Nice shout out for your pal at the end there. I thought the team did us proud especially the one's coming in. Poch was the one looking stressed towards the end of the game as it seemed to be slipping away from them.
Thank you. Very proud of them and I do feel we could have changed things before they got the winner and won it. Just feels like they did what they had to do for a good game.