Joel Piroe

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Joel Piroe

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:32 pm I sort of half understand it with Kamara, but he did have one or two chances to shoot from memory, just have a go.

I won’t criticise any player having a dig, even if it hits you right up there in the gods 😁
It worked for us against Leicester, mate.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:48 pm It worked for us against Leicester, mate.
Yeah, I mentioned that previously, just have a shot.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Barlow Boy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:12 pm Yeah, I mentioned that previously, just have a shot.
When we've had players take the shot and we don't score the fan mantra is so and so was wide open, pass man! (See Piroe recently) When we play in the player in space instead of shooting and he misses the mantra is just shoot to the passer of the ball

Dammed if you do ....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:05 pm When we've had players take the shot and we don't score the fan mantra is so and so was wide open, pass man! (See Piroe recently) When we play in the player in space instead of shooting and he misses the mantra is just shoot to the passer of the ball

Dammed if you do ....
Absolutely, from some fans.

Personally, as mentioned in my post above, it’s have a shot from distance every now and then. If it ends up in row z, so be it.

We’ve scored a couple lately where the ball has taken a deflection and gone in, it won’t happen every shot of course, but if you don’t buy a ticket, you don’t win the raffle.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Barlow Boy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:42 pm Absolutely, from some fans.

Personally, as mentioned in my post above, it’s have a shot from distance every now and then. If it ends up in row z, so be it.

We’ve scored a couple lately where the ball has taken a deflection and gone in, it won’t happen every shot of course, but if you don’t buy a ticket, you don’t win the raffle.
Depends how far is "distance" but we often shoot from around the box... usually having them blocked. I'd imagine we're very high in shots blocked
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:46 pm Depends how far is "distance" but we often shoot from around the box... usually having them blocked. I'd imagine we're very high in shots blocked
Think I may have mentioned this in the most recent match thread, but the average distance of our shots is the shortest in the league at 16.3 yards.

However, for context, the top four teams are all actually in the bottom (or top, depending on your point of view) six in this category, which would seem to imply that we all are more prone to "walk it into the net":

Leeds United - 16.3
Swansea - 16.5
Southampton - 16.6
Leicester - 16.7
West Brom - 16.8
Ipswich - 16.8

This would also seem to potentially imply that those teams with the greater numbers of skilled players in attacking positions can get closer to the goal before shooting.

Source: https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/shooting/ ... ship-Stats
In Farke we trust...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:00 pm Think I may have mentioned this in the most recent match thread, but the average distance of our shots is the shortest in the league at 16.3 yards.

However, for context, the top four teams are all actually in the bottom (or top, depending on your point of view) six in this category, which would seem to imply that we all are more prone to "walk it into the net":

Leeds United - 16.3
Swansea - 16.5
Southampton - 16.6
Leicester - 16.7
West Brom - 16.8
Ipswich - 16.8

This would also seem to potentially imply that those teams with the greater numbers of skilled players in attacking positions can get closer to the goal before shooting.

Source: https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/shooting/ ... ship-Stats
I'm assuming this ranks shots on and off target? Blocked shots don't count toward that stat I don't think.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:07 pm I'm assuming this ranks shots on and off target? Blocked shots don't count toward that stat I don't think.
Yes, I pretty sure that the case.
In Farke we trust...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Really important contributions today.

Nice passing with Jimmy and then the final pass before he won the pen.

Side before self with the pen.

Kept his composure when most players would have just hoofed it late on, instead played a nice pass to DJ for the goal.

Good lad JP
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He's playing more and more centre mid. For me, right now, he's Kamara's competition along with Gray. But he will score goals
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

If this was Paddy it would be mentioned so for fairness . . .

Ffs Joel :(

The chance he scored was much harder and he took that brilliantly.

He gives the keeper the eyes (which worked) but then doesn't get good connection on the shot.

If he does it probably goes in.

He had another very good cameo though.

94% pass accuracy and won the majority of his duels, took better care of the ball than Rutter and Bamford.

But that miss :(
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Bad miss but it happens to the best of them.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

He deserves more game time but will Paddy get the nod again against Sunderland?
There Is Only One United.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:55 am
If this was Paddy it would be mentioned so for fairness . . .

Ffs Joel :(

The chance he scored was much harder and he took that brilliantly.

He gives the keeper the eyes (which worked) but then doesn't get good connection on the shot.

If he does it probably goes in.

He had another very good cameo though.

94% pass accuracy and won the majority of his duels, took better care of the ball than Rutter and Bamford.

But that miss :(
Agree that it was a poor miss and Paddy would be crucified for it. But he had two good chances and scored one. I'd say that's a fair return. Tempted to say he should get more minutes than Kamara at the moment. Not sure I can see us starting Rutter at 10 and Piroe at 8 though.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Piroe vs Coventry

Positives
5 Decent passes
2 Runs
1 Excellent pass
1 Shot saved
1 Goal :soccer:

Negatives
1 Powder-puff shot saved
1 Wild shot over the bar
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

I think how we have used Joel this year has been criminal. He's gone from the hottest property in the Championship to this. Not only does he look like he has forgotten how to score but also what he actually is supposed to do. Almost as if his goal scoring brain is now stuck in pre-season mode really. What a waste but credit to him he seems the model professional throughout. While people were understandably clammering for Bamford to be dropped, did they expect Piroe to come in and find his touch immediately? It was wishful thinking after been benched for so long. Farke wasted his talent during the first half of the season and when he decided to drop Rutter back, he dropped Piroe.

I suppose it becomes all the more baffling as Farke knows the importance of a proven Championship striker like Piroe because he had one at Norwich in Pukki. While I'd love Piroe to still be able to have a say on where we finish this season I think it might be too late now. Rutter has been poor of late so I'd just go with both Joseph and Piroe to start the next three games and see how it pans out. We have nothing to lose doing that in my opinion and everything to lose going with the likes of Rutter and Bamford.

Farke has built up plenty of credit this year but his use of Piroe leaves alot to be desired. Had he persisted with him upfront after dropping Rutter back, I reckon we'd be promoted already. It's been Farke's biggest mistake if you ask me, he just seems a tad slow to react to things that aren't working.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:41 am I think how we have used Joel this year has been criminal. He's gone from the hottest property in the Championship to this. Not only does he look like he has forgotten how to score but also what he actually is supposed to do. Almost as if his goal scoring brain is now stuck in pre-season mode really. What a waste but credit to him he seems the model professional throughout. While people were understandably clammering for Bamford to be dropped, did they expect Piroe to come in and find his touch immediately? It was wishful thinking after been benched for so long. Farke wasted his talent during the first half of the season and when he decided to drop Rutter back, he dropped Piroe.

I suppose it becomes all the more baffling as Farke knows the importance of a proven Championship striker like Piroe because he had one at Norwich in Pukki. While I'd love Piroe to still be able to have a say on where we finish this season I think it might be too late now. Rutter has been poor of late so I'd just go with both Joseph and Piroe to start the next three games and see how it pans out. We have nothing to lose doing that in my opinion and everything to lose going with the likes of Rutter and Bamford.

Farke has built up plenty of credit this year but his use of Piroe leaves alot to be desired. Had he persisted with him upfront after dropping Rutter back, I reckon we'd be promoted already. It's been Farke's biggest mistake if you ask me, he just seems a tad slow to react to things that aren't working.

I think that sometimes managers and fans can place too much store on experience - playing the ' experienced ' Bamford and Piroe in the last 5 games at no 9 has given us a league form position of 21st over those 5 games. Yet the youth and energy of a Joseph is left sidelined - sacrificed at the altar of ' experience. ' Nobody can persuade me that if Joseph had started the last 5 games we would be 21st in the league based on those 5 games. Seemingly Farke is so obsessed with ' experience ' that he's failing to notice that Joseph has qualities as a no 9 which neither Bamford or Piroe possess. If you're good enough then you're old enough.

Farke should take note of how O'Leary when he became manager completely reinvogorated the side through taking a risk and giving some youngsters a chance, with the result that the stale Graham era came to an abrupt end. And suddenly the play became far more attack minded and exciting. I know he's playing Gray right now, but what's his issue with Joseph ? It reminds me of how Bielsa refused to give Nketiah a chance, which led to the signing of JKA....
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:41 am I think how we have used Joel this year has been criminal. He's gone from the hottest property in the Championship to this. Not only does he look like he has forgotten how to score but also what he actually is supposed to do. Almost as if his goal scoring brain is now stuck in pre-season mode really. What a waste but credit to him he seems the model professional throughout. While people were understandably clammering for Bamford to be dropped, did they expect Piroe to come in and find his touch immediately? It was wishful thinking after been benched for so long. Farke wasted his talent during the first half of the season and when he decided to drop Rutter back, he dropped Piroe.

Piroe didn't play striker for Swansea it seems, He hasn't really played striker for us. He's best coming from deep and ultimately I think, and this is only my opinion mind, he's an 8 or goal scoring central mid. Geo is clearly the better 10, only Pablo has played that position better for us than him in the last, what 7 years? And Pablo was better in the Strachan role.
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:54 am I think that sometimes managers and fans can place too much store on experience - playing the ' experienced ' Bamford and Piroe in the last 5 games at no 9 has given us a league form position of 21st over those 5 games. Yet the youth and energy of a Joseph is left sidelined - sacrificed at the altar of ' experience. ' Nobody can persuade me that if Joseph had started the last 5 games we would be 21st in the league based on those 5 games. Seemingly Farke is so obsessed with ' experience ' that he's failing to notice that Joseph has qualities as a no 9 which neither Bamford or Piroe possess. If you're good enough then you're old enough.

Farke should take note of how O'Leary when he became manager completely reinvogorated the side through taking a risk and giving some youngsters a chance, with the result that the stale Graham era came to an abrupt end. And suddenly the play became far more attack minded and exciting. I know he's playing Gray right now, but what's his issue with Joseph ? It reminds me of how Bielsa refused to give Nketiah a chance, which led to the signing of JKA....
Funny that I was actually thinking of O'Leary myself earlier and his use of, or more importantly faith in his kids. I think people forget though Piroe is still only 24 though. To have 2 full seasons at Swansea and come away with 40 odd goals at this level was exactly the type of striker we needed this season. While Joseph may have some qualities Bamford and Piroe are missing, nobody can deny Piroe's knack of finding the net, it's proven, it was there for all to see, it is why we signed him and he has been wasted.

I believe joseph is finding himself in a similar position to what Joffy found himself in a couple of years ago. Are we wasting away goal scoring talent? It does feel that way sometimes.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:04 am Piroe didn't play striker for Swansea it seems, He hasn't really played striker for us. He's best coming from deep and ultimately I think, and this is only my opinion mind, he's an 8 or goal scoring central mid. Geo is clearly the better 10, only Pablo has played that position better for us than him in the last, what 7 years? And Pablo was better in the Strachan role.
Primarily he is a striker. Nobody scores 41 goals over 2 seasons coming from deep, playing as an 8 or playing as a 10. Only a player in the right place at the right time can do that and that is where Piroe's strength lies. Most of his goals for us ealier in the season were a result of him finding himself and finding space in the opposition box. With how we have used him this season, he's nowhere near that area in the first place, or at least not as often as he should be.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||