Leeds Utd v Sunderland Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Sunderland Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Ampadu a doubt due to illness, needs to train tomorrow if he is to be selected.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Farke's here - how are you?
Special feeling because we are not used to a day after a loss this year. We allowed us in the first 24 hours to feel disappointed. Self-critical. Don't like vanity in the dressing room or sugarcoating things when we are not at our best and we weren't.

Important not to dwell on it and see the bigger picture. At Christmas, when we were 17 points behind Leicester, if we had been told we would be two points back with five to play, many people would have said it's not realistic. A lot to be proud of. See the bigger picture.

Speak about what we have to improve. Better results.

About which team deals with the pressure best?
I still think Southampton are in the race. They have the most difficult run to deal with, but four teams still have the chance to get into the top two.

The right mentality for this last five games. Bring yourself close to the line, but get it over the line. Need special winning mentality and need to show this.

Enjoying it?
Yes. I am a competitor. Never a fan of friendlies or testimonials. Wanted games where it matters and is important. Enjoy this time of the season. Comes with work and pressure. Think a lot about it, but enjoyable and like to find the balance between being competitive and feeling the pressure. Keep the smile on your face

How do you ensure it brings the best out in your player?
I am at my best when the sea is rough and you have to show leadership and be there, coll in the head with a fire in your heart. Football is not a manager's game. Most important are the players. Important to helping my players. We have a young group/. That's good because energy is there. Experience can be challenging because not many players were tin this situation.

First Norwich promotion was with a young team. It can be done. Great chance to finish in the top positions.

Does the sea feel rough?
Most important is staying the same. As managers, special attention on the games or anyone is going crazy you have to overreact to things. You over-interpret things. I was this way in my early years as a manger, have to surprise the opponent's coach and surprise your own players, making them feel nervous.

Many people in this business, the world goes crazy and everyone panics after a bad result or is already dancing after one good result. Important to stay level. Be a role model for the players. About the acting and the talking.

Look them in the eye after a rare defeat?
Outside our group, everyone is allowed to overreact because football is fun and emotional/. Supporters can do this. Allow them, but important to focus the group on what is necessary. Could have done without a defeat. Sharpens our senses to be there, but I have to say sometimes when you have so many good results: 2024 just positive results.

This is the first poor result we had. Perhaps Huddersfield was the only other one. Little setbacks can sharpen the senses. We cannot afford to give two per cent less. Don't like defeat, but I take the positive. If it means we are more switched on in the last five games, that last two per cent, then it was beneficial.

We spoke about this. It's a positive when we are not at our best and we still won every stat apart from the most important one.

Same squad?
No additions. Question behind Ethan. Illness in the last 48 hours. Not available to us yesterday or today. Tight race. Short session tomorrow which he has to make to play.

Have to be careful with Roberts. Felt something late on in the game. Took him out of training yesterday, no new injury, just precautionary. Same with Gnonto - muscle tired. Probably available, but can't say if more minutes than Saturday. Not ready for 90 minutes until Middlesbrough.

Sunderland
Nothing to play for? All relative in football. Several manager changes. First change in management they were sitting close to the top six. Says a lot about their ambition and where they want to finish.

Feels like a cup game for every opponent. When I read the pre-match report, sold-out stadium for the first time in 10 or 20 years. They face us in a game nobody has won at Elland Road. Opponents want to be the first team to win at ER.

They can play with freedom without anything to lose.

Hard to get things going after the break?
Yes, always tricky because it's two weeks away. When I compare the style of football with national teams, they play differently to us. Focus them without training sessions on what we want, after a busy schedule like we had over Easter and the weekend, it's always tricky. Saturday and Tuesday keeps it going.

Challenging, but not helpful to complain about it. Why did Gruev get an injury in a friendly in Azerbaijan? Was it necessary? Challenging, but hopefully improving now from day to day.

Players with each other?
Self-critical, which I like. You can sense in their conversations they were not happy individually. Several under-par individual performances on Saturday. They were all unhappy and self-critical. You can argue it can do something to confidence, but for me, it's staying humble after defeat and speaking about what we need to do better. No excuses about themitch or referee, no, no let's speak about what we can do bette
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Please god not Cooper!!!!!
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I know he won't do it.

But why not try Georgie wide? May get a bit more space

Don't like Piroe as 10 but he does keep the ball well.

Then Joseph up front.

A surprise could catch Sunderland off guard.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:00 pm Please god not Cooper!!!!!
I'm afraid so!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Oh fook off

If he hasn't the balls to drop underperforming players he needs to be much quicker at recognising when it isn't working atleast.

No manager makes subs later on average according to The Athletic
Signed

King Cjay

pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Sunderland pre match chat

Post by pjm2019 »

DDB220 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:54 pm I don’t think this is a bad shout - Geo is not 100%. I would be inclined to use him for the last 30 mins.

But we all know that DF does not make changes unless enforced. I do not think it is nailed on that Gnonto will start either.

I would not be surprised if it is the same line-up as per the Coventry game.

If the same starting 11 we are *ucked. DF Must pick players in form not his favourites or because he will only make changes if players are injured.

I am a Bamford fan BUT he is out of form so we must ensure he does not start, Rutter came back to quickly and again he needs to be on the bench
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I used to think we would win the league but:

Now I'm only falling apart
There's nothing I can do
A "total eclipse" of the heart

We will smash this lot Tomorrow... its in Mother Shipton's memoirs. The Mackems went down with the ships a long time ago. They no longer meck em and we will certainly teck em tomorrow night.

Losing the 1 game as given us a glimpse back into dark matter that exists within our shallow brains. Stop! Ask how you will cope next season when we hardly win any games. Who's fault will it be then? The illusion of reality & expectation as people already sharpening their claws... I wvant your blooood.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

The sea is definitely rough. Not quite the Irish Sea in a force 10 which I did once and I’ll always remember the vomit moving across the floor of the ferry as the ship rocked from side to side. Not mine btw. Not quite the vomit exhibition of the Scilly Isles ferry mind you.
Anyway where was I, oh yes it’s definitely choppy with the possibility of 40’ waves of angst.
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds v Sunderland. Correct Score/First Goalscorer. 8pm Tuesday - TABLE UP!

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:45 am Negativity gets you nowhere this season, Kenny boy.

If we are promoted, we'll draw & lose more games than we'll win.
What abart the irony games Sid, i'm negative, but you're saying we'll not win as many huh, u double edged sword you.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

This is the most talented team in the division, we had a necessary slow start to the season which would be an excuse except we got ourselves back into it and went top with 8/9 games to go. Failing to finish top two would be a cross against Farke's name for me...

Farke has done most things very well, where he's failed is in not giving us the best chance to win games. Bielsa had a similar failing
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:58 pm Losing the 1 game as given us a glimpse back into dark matter that exists within our shallow brains. Stop! Ask how you will cope next season when we hardly win any games. Who's fault will it be then? The illusion of reality & expectation as people already sharpening their claws... I wvant your blooood.
Ah done tell you them there Mackems be running round like we set them racoon dogs on them.
Them there guys in white gonna be snaping and biting at their heels like God dam rottweilers hopped up on speed. You ever got chased by a rabid dog what thinks you been stealing his bone?

He be one of them mad dogs, once he get those fangs in you, he ain't never let go. Best you just lie down on the ground, cover up your ears cos those be the juicy bit they go for. What Ah is saying, it gonna be carnage, them there boys don't like the taste of defeat... they gonna spit that out like grits gone bad. They be like one them bully dogs shaking a Rag doll in them there mouth.

Hundred dollars for sure there be blood.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

pjm2019 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:39 pm If the same starting 11 we are *ucked. DF Must pick players in form not his favourites or because he will only make changes if players are injured.

I am a Bamford fan BUT he is out of form so we must ensure he does not start, Rutter came back to quickly and again he needs to be on the bench
He is not out of form, he is isolated.

You will soon see a 'return to form' if that's what you think it is.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:25 pm The sea is definitely rough. Not quite the Irish Sea in a force 10 which I did once and I’ll always remember the vomit moving across the floor of the ferry as the ship rocked from side to side. Not mine btw. Not quite the vomit exhibition of the Scilly Isles ferry mind you.
Anyway where was I, oh yes it’s definitely choppy with the possibility of 40’ waves of angst.
The wife and I go to the Sciilies every few years to stay ,Jay.
Had a rough trip @ Easter a few years ago , took over3 hours rather than the usual 2 1/2.
There was green everywhere. Doesn't bother me much though.
You been ?
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:40 pm He is not out of form, he is isolated.

You will soon see a 'return to form' if that's what you think it is.
He has indeed been isolated Kenny , to be honest he looks fucked . He's currently like a bit of Teflon when the balls played to him. Hopefully as you say it improves.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Madron wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:53 pm The wife and I go to the Sciilies every few years to stay ,Jay.
Had a rough trip @ Easter a few years ago , took over3 hours rather than the usual 2 1/2.
There was green everywhere. Doesn't bother me much though.
You been ?
Yes Ron. We went a couple of years ago and loved it. We’ll go back at some point hopefully. We stayed on Bryher.
The outward ferry journey is renowned for a sick fest.
It’s like a fairground ride. No sooner had we got a half hour out it started. Has never ever affected me but the Mrs succumbed in the end. It seemed to be a competition amongst the men. Loudest gag.
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Reports on Roberts and Gnonto means they won't start. Leaves Gray at RB and Kamara in midfield.

Comments on Bamford make it odds on he will start.

And if Ampadu is out, it will certainly be Cooper.

Regardless of opinions. Let's support whatever team Farke picks.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:56 pm He has indeed been isolated Kenny , to be honest he looks fucked . He's currently like a bit of Teflon when the balls played to him. Hopefully as you say it improves.
If DF has paced the team like i think he has after the Itnl break, then it's now time in these last 5 fixtures, to turn up the gas, and open full throat throttle.

We're at home tomorrow, then there's adequate breaks of - 4 days, 9 days, 7 days, 4 days, 8 days - to go s**t or bust, and hope Ipswich come undone against - Watford, Boro, Hull and Coventry

;@)
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:58 pm Yes Ron. We went a couple of years ago and loved it. We’ll go back at some point hopefully. We stayed on Bryher.
The outward ferry journey is renowned for a sick fest.
It’s like a fairground ride. No sooner had we got a half hour out it started. Has never ever affected me but the Mrs succumbed in the end. It seemed to be a competition amongst the men. Loudest gag.
Only island I've never been on is Bryher-next time.
Generally the trip does get a bit choppy once the boat gets into open sea past Lands End, Return trip is always smoother.
My father was born on St Marys and when we were kids we always spent a couple of weeks over there in the summer with our grandparents.
Best place on the planet for me (weather permitting). Got an ambience like nowhere else.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:23 pm
Oh fook off

If he hasn't the balls to drop underperforming players he needs to be much quicker at recognising when it isn't working atleast.

No manager makes subs later on average according to The Athletic
I was quite surprised that he put him such a staunch defence of The Fraud :shock:

Talk about nailing your colours to the mast, that was a clear message that he'll be starting tomorrow.

"He runs around a lot" 😂

What about putting the ball in the net? Holding the ball up? Competing for the ball? Getting on the end of crosses? Finishing? Creating? Being physical?

These reporters just sat back and said nothing when he was talking this shite about Bamfraud.

If he continues to start then forget promotion.