Leeds Utd v Sunderland Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Re: Leeds Utd v Sunderland Match Thread

Post by mentalcase »

White Riot wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:56 pm I was quite surprised that he put him such a staunch defence of The Fraud :shock:

Talk about nailing your colours to the mast, that was a clear message that he'll be starting tomorrow.

"He runs around a lot" 😂

What about putting the ball in the net? Holding the ball up? Competing for the ball? Getting on the end of crosses? Finishing? Creating? Being physical?

These reporters just sat back and said nothing when he was talking this shite about Bamfraud.

If he continues to start then forget promotion.
He runs around a lot, ............but does f**k all else, he's well past his sell by date, he'll score again someday, law of averages, and everyone will be lauding him. :roll:
His last 3 games have been utterly awful, it dosent seem to matter he's doing the square route of bugger all as long as he trains well.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

So we go into three hugely important games with the so called fans getting on the back of the team

The irony being that staying in this division actually makes the players they love to loathe more likely of be here next season.

Team selection all depends on the fitness not form.
The engine of the side in in need of some tlc.

Clarke is back playing and had Grays pants down last time, unfortunately he can't be dropped even though he will struggle against Clarke and has proved ineffective in midfield.

Piroe should start which will imo keep Joseph on the bench.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:25 pm The sea is definitely rough. Not quite the Irish Sea in a force 10 which I did once and I’ll always remember the vomit moving across the floor of the ferry as the ship rocked from side to side. Not mine btw. Not quite the vomit exhibition of the Scilly Isles ferry mind you.
Anyway where was I, oh yes it’s definitely choppy with the possibility of 40’ waves of angst.
I will raise you - in the early 80’s (post war) I sailed to the Falklands from the Ascension Islands in a North Sea ferry. The South Atlantic is brutal. In a force 12 nearing 13 the view out of the windows as we tore across the floor of the canteen area, chairs and bodies a flying everywhere aplenty, as they were not fixed down, was either sky or the biggest wall of water imaginable - they put The Poseidon Adventure on the first night followed by The Titanic the following evening - the rough seas lasted for 48 hours. Most of the blokes giggled and got lashed up and then chundered everywhere. Ironically, I don’t get seasick but the smell of vomit was ever present until we arrived at Costa Del middle of nowhere.
hector

Post by hector »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:16 pm I will raise you - in the early 80’s (post war) I sailed to the Falklands from the Ascension Islands in a North Sea ferry. The South Atlantic is brutal. In a force 12 nearing 13 the view out of the windows as we tore across the floor of the canteen area, chairs and bodies a flying everywhere aplenty, as they were not fixed down, was either sky or the biggest wall of water imaginable - they put The Poseidon Adventure on the first night followed by The Titanic the following evening - the rough seas lasted for 48 hours. Most of the blokes giggled and got lashed up and then chundered everywhere. Ironically, I don’t get seasick but the smell of vomit was ever present until we arrived at Costa Del middle of nowhere.
Was that perchance the MV Keren??
I did the reverse journey after one of my tours

Exciting trip :) :) :)
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:03 pm I know he won't do it.

But why not try Georgie wide? May get a bit more space

Don't like Piroe as 10 but he does keep the ball well.

Then Joseph up front.

A surprise could catch Sunderland off guard.
Been wondering the same, Cjay. James has gone off the boil, as well (worldie to end the Hull match excepted). Will force Georgie to get further upfield and if he loses the ball, it will be in less disadvantaged positions. He also has looked dangerous at the edge of the box on that right side…imho, more so than on the left.

The team needs a spark and that might just do the trick.

Still defer to DF given injuries and illness, but hopefully things are improved before team selection tomorrow.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

JoeDenver wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:47 am Been wondering the same, Cjay. James has gone off the boil, as well (worldie to end the Hull match excepted). Will force Georgie to get further upfield and if he loses the ball, it will be in less disadvantaged positions. He also has looked dangerous at the edge of the box on that right side…imho, more so than on the left.

Still defer to DF given injuries and illness, but hopefully things are improved before team selection tomorrow.
Farke has options Joe: Anthony, Jospeh, Piroe, who are all fit and definitely capable of impacting a match at this level. But he seems very entrenched in just putting out the same side and saying "Well, it's worked up until now, so it's bound to keep working". The worse some players perform then the more he persists in selecting him.

Tbh, if we get promoted then it's all immaterial. But if we don't then I'd put a big reason for that being Farke and this stubborn approach.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

JoeDenver wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:47 am Been wondering the same, Cjay. James has gone off the boil, as well (worldie to end the Hull match excepted). Will force Georgie to get further upfield and if he loses the ball, it will be in less disadvantaged positions. He also has looked dangerous at the edge of the box on that right side…imho, more so than on the left.

I don't think James has been that bad since his return to team four matches ago.

Two goals in those four games.

Against Coventry
5 good passes
4 excellent crosses
3 crosses blocked
2 runs
1 excellent pass
1 shot blocked
1 tackle

I have noticed particular against Coventry, Dan was in oceans of space unmarked but the likes of Ampadu, Gruev, Kamara & Rutter refused to pass the ball to him, we always seem to go left to Summerville who is often doubly marked or go down the congested middle route.

We should be using Dan's immense pace by lobbing the ball over the top a few times, not the case, we just play tippy-tappy short passes that generally sees us going backwards as opposed to getting the ball forward.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:59 pm So we go into three hugely important games with the so called fans getting on the back of the team

The irony being that staying in this division actually makes the players they love to loathe more likely of be here next season.

Team selection all depends on the fitness not form.
The engine of the side in in need of some tlc.

Clarke is back playing and had Grays pants down last time, unfortunately he can't be dropped even though he will struggle against Clarke and has proved ineffective in midfield.

Piroe should start which will imo keep Joseph on the bench.
Who for?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Cant escape the fact though that a loss tonight will probably be the end of autos for us, can’t go 4 points behind Ipswich with 4 games to play.

Despite the above I hope the fans lucky enough to be in the stadium can forget their anxieties and get behind the team - must be a nightmare to feel the fans desert you in the middle of a game.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

WhiteRose wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:21 am Cant escape the fact though that a loss tonight will probably be the end of autos for us, can’t go 4 points behind Ipswich with 4 games to play.

Despite the above I hope the fans lucky enough to be in the stadium can forget their anxieties and get behind the team - must be a nightmare to feel the fans desert you in the middle of a game.
To be fair I think those of us in the stadium have stuck by the players massively, I can’t really recall any big dissenting moments this season.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:16 pm I will raise you - in the early 80’s (post war) I sailed to the Falklands from the Ascension Islands in a North Sea ferry. The South Atlantic is brutal. In a force 12 nearing 13 the view out of the windows as we tore across the floor of the canteen area, chairs and bodies a flying everywhere aplenty, as they were not fixed down, was either sky or the biggest wall of water imaginable - they put The Poseidon Adventure on the first night followed by The Titanic the following evening - the rough seas lasted for 48 hours. Most of the blokes giggled and got lashed up and then chundered everywhere. Ironically, I don’t get seasick but the smell of vomit was ever present until we arrived at Costa Del middle of nowhere.
Show off :roflmao:
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

hector wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:08 am Was that perchance the MV Keren??
I did the reverse journey after one of my tours

Exciting trip :) :) :)
We sailed back to the Ascension Islands on the Agadir, which was a hospital ship during the war. It was still rough but nothing like the trip there. I cannot remember the name of the tub we got thrown around on. I remember speaking to one of the crew about the likelihood of the bucket tipping over. He said the ship had fins or words to that effect underneath the waterline. Which makes it nigh impossible. But if one failed we were in big trouble. One of those moments when I wish I had never asked the question. I was scrutinising every creak of the ship thereafter.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Waited a couple of days to post as I was so disgusted by the management and whole team. I think clearly the team is playing with too much fear and are being strangled by the manager's rigid system. For me the only logical solution is to ditch the manager and play all our U18 side who showed no fear when beating Millwall in the Youth Cup. They should be fairly fresh and that could be key when playing against tired players coming to the end of their season.

Leif Davis played in our youth side as did the fella at Coventry as well as Jack Clarke and Huggins at Sunderland so clearly this is the way forward. We might have to write this season off as to be honest I think if there were more than just 5 matches remaining I feel we would drop out of the play-off positions. Playing these youngsters not only gives us a chance to re-ignite this season which has completely fizzled out but gives us a head start going into next season as by then the youngsters would have gained experience and probably be able to add the proper FA Cup to their U18 Cup. Losing to the 7th place team in the championship was the last straw.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:12 am Waited a couple of days to post as I was so disgusted by the management and whole team. I think clearly the team is playing with too much fear and are being strangled by the manager's rigid system. For me the only logical solution is to ditch the manager and play all our U18 side who showed no fear when beating Millwall in the Youth Cup. They should be fairly fresh and that could be key when playing against tired players coming to the end of their season.

Leif Davis played in our youth side as did the fella at Coventry as well as Jack Clarke and Huggins at Sunderland so clearly this is the way forward. We might have to write this season off as to be honest I think if there were more than just 5 matches remaining I feel we would drop out of the play-off positions. Playing these youngsters not only gives us a chance to re-ignite this season which has completely fizzled out but gives us a head start going into next season as by then the youngsters would have gained experience and probably be able to add the proper FA Cup to their U18 Cup. Losing to the 7th place team in the championship was the last straw.
I agree with the intended sarcasm here young man.
In isolation it shouldn’t be something to get our tits in a tangle about but timing is everything. If we are going to have a mini slump then now is not the time for it. Lester had theirs & seem to be over it.
Lose tonight and that would be very difficult to brush off considering the opposition have nothing to play for and have lost 7 of their last ten. But they very rarely lose by more than the odd goal. 14 of 19 defeats by that margin.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Madron wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:18 pm Only island I've never been on is Bryher-next time.
Generally the trip does get a bit choppy once the boat gets into open sea past Lands End, Return trip is always smoother.
My father was born on St Marys and when we were kids we always spent a couple of weeks over there in the summer with our grandparents.
Best place on the planet for me (weather permitting). Got an ambience like nowhere else.
Very peaceful place. You can walk to Tresco if the tide is right which we did. Got the water taxi back.
My Mrs wants to fly next time but I enjoyed the ferry out. Was hilarious tbh 🤮
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:25 am To be fair I think those of us in the stadium have stuck by the players massively, I can’t really recall any big dissenting moments this season.
Definitely mate :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:12 am Waited a couple of days to post as I was so disgusted by the management and whole team. I think clearly the team is playing with too much fear and are being strangled by the manager's rigid system. For me the only logical solution is to ditch the manager and play all our U18 side who showed no fear when beating Millwall in the Youth Cup. They should be fairly fresh and that could be key when playing against tired players coming to the end of their season.

For a few seconds, I wondered what was going on here...... :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:23 am I agree with the intended sarcasm here young man.
In isolation it shouldn’t be something to get our tits in a tangle about but timing is everything. If we are going to have a mini slump then now is not the time for it. Lester had theirs & seem to be over it.
Lose tonight and that would be very difficult to brush off considering the opposition have nothing to play for and have lost 7 of their last ten. But they very rarely lose by more than the odd goal. 14 of 19 defeats by that margin.
We better Leicester's record, losing only one game by two goals at Southampton.
1964white

Re: Leeds v Sunderland. Correct Score/First Goalscorer. 8pm Tuesday - TABLE UP!

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:03 pm What abart the irony games Sid, i'm negative, but you're saying we'll not win as many huh, u double edged sword you.
You may have a point, Kenny boy.

Fact & truth is, we won't win as many games in the PL as we have in the championship this season.

Would be great if we remain unbeaten at home, especially after our appalling home record in 2022/23.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:13 am Who for?
Bamford.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa