Leeds Utd v Blackburn Rovers Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Blackburn Rovers Match Thread

Post by GreennWhite »

Scoobychief wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:17 am Business end of the season and things aren't going well. What do you expect. I'd rather be playing in the premier league than the championship.it was in our own hands a few times and we managed to screw it up. So it isn't any wonder why I'm moaning and groaning
It's only a game of football, there are more important things in life.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Sean_Nile wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:46 pm We are the straw men
we are the hollow men
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whipper.

We seem to have a host of prophets on here that are making gloom ladened predictions. There is a general malaise hovering in the air, the stink of defeat.

Yet Daniel Farke has said that this team have had the best season for results in the clubs history.

How is it possible to get better than the best season ever?
“ Gloom laden predictions, General malaise, Stink of defeat “ Think that’s a tad harsh Sean, everyone on here is a Leeds United supporter & therefore entitled to an opinion. Some people rightly or wrongly might take offence at being told they don’t understand aspects of the game basically because they’re too thick. Unless you haven’t watched the last 4/5 games it’s obvious the slow play, rigid team selection & late substitutions are all reasons for the increased nervousness on here and are rightly being voiced or what is the point in having a forum.
Keeping The Faith
hector

Post by hector »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:35 pm “ Gloom laden predictions, General malaise, Stink of defeat “ Think that’s a tad harsh Sean, everyone on here is a Leeds United supporter & therefore entitled to an opinion. Some people rightly or wrongly might take offence at being told they don’t understand aspects of the game basically because they’re too thick. Unless you haven’t watched the last 4/5 games it’s obvious the slow play, rigid team selection & late substitutions are all reasons for the increased nervousness on here and are rightly being voiced or what is the point in having a forum.

.You make a good point.... Perhaps I should ban everyone :) :) :)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

hector wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:38 pm .You make a good point.... Perhaps I should ban everyone :) :) :)
Even me? :shock:
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:02 pm Even me? :shock:
Especially you 🤣
Keeping The Faith
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:10 pm Especially you 🤣
:) :) :)

As long as I'm not left out...
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:35 pm “ Gloom laden predictions, General malaise, Stink of defeat “ Think that’s a tad harsh Sean, everyone on here is a Leeds United supporter & therefore entitled to an opinion. Some people rightly or wrongly might take offence at being told they don’t understand aspects of the game basically because they’re too thick. Unless you haven’t watched the last 4/5 games it’s obvious the slow play, rigid team selection & late substitutions are all reasons for the increased nervousness on here and are rightly being voiced or what is the point in having a forum.
Fear is a virus that is infectious. It affects your spirit. How many people on here express the idea that they get depressed when the results don't go our way... it seems their mental well being is dependent on positive results for us and negative results for others.

It is apparent that if we suffer a loss then fans get reved up to make an analysis of what went wrong, making proposals of what could have been done different... change of players, change of system, time of substitutions, those are the most common.

If is not enough that one person makes these obvious observations, but there is a general pile on expressing the same idea ad nauseum, and it does become a depressing read. And the conversation descends into Mass Formation Hysteria which is not good for anyone.

I can well imagine the gnashing of teeth if Lester beat the Pilgrims tonight... And the joy if they loose.

But hey that is what fans are like.
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

Sean_Nile wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:53 am As Bob Dylan used to see don't criticize what you don't understand.

In 2019 rules changed so that Defenders could receive the ball within the 18 Yard Box. Beforehand goal kicks had to be taken so that you had to be outside the 18-yard box to receive the ball which meant that more often than not you lost control of the ball.

When short passes are made to the center backs within the 18-yard Box this allows the full backs to move upfield into a more attacking position.

The goalkeepers "studs on the ball" tactics usually means that he's looking for movement ahead of him to make a pass, and if nothing is on he will play the ball to one of the center backs. The aim is to draw the opposing players out of position.

It works well for Pep and City, but is perhaps too nuanced for those that prefer kick and rush blood and thunder tactics.
Are you for real ?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Sean_Nile wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:53 am As Bob Dylan used to see don't criticize what you don't understand.

In 2019 rules changed so that Defenders could receive the ball within the 18 Yard Box. Beforehand goal kicks had to be taken so that you had to be outside the 18-yard box to receive the ball which meant that more often than not you lost control of the ball.

When short passes are made to the center backs within the 18-yard Box this allows the full backs to move upfield into a more attacking position.

The goalkeepers "studs on the ball" tactics usually means that he's looking for movement ahead of him to make a pass, and if nothing is on he will play the ball to one of the center backs. The aim is to draw the opposing players out of position.

It works well for Pep and City, but is perhaps too nuanced for those that prefer kick and rush blood and thunder tactics.
I sincerely hope you aren't comparing the slow style DF has had us playing with the one Pep uses?

The two aren't comparable
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

pjm2019 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:27 pm Are you for real ?
Yes
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Cjay wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:37 pm I sincerely hope you aren't comparing the slow style DF has had us playing with the one Pep uses?

The two aren't comparable
What I am saying since rule change regarding goal kicks, you have began to see more of the short passes within the 18 yard box as opposed to long goal kicks.

When Meslier tries to kick it long you get people complaining about his distribution, and when he plays it short he is accused of diĺly dallying. Damned if he does damned if he don't
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Sean_Nile wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:53 pm What I am saying since rule change regarding goal kicks, you have began to see more of the short passes within the 18 yard box as opposed to long goal kicks.

When Meslier tries to kick it long you get people complaining about his distribution, and when he plays it short he is accused of diĺly dallying. Damned if he does damned if he don't
I don't think anyone is complaining about playing out from the back.

It's the lack of speed that is the complaint.

It's slow, lacks any real punch or bravery and is easy to defend against.

Compare it to Bielsa or Klopp or Pep himself.

Those teams know when to move the ball at speed with sharp short passing or penetrative longer passes

We do neither.

That's the issue not the playing out from the back thing.

We prioritise possession for the sake of it.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Phild
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Phild »

When we were blowing sides away were we still agonizingly slow with our build up like we are now ?
Seems that long ago now
Sides do not need to consider the high press against us as they can start pressing when we eventually cross the half way line
This way even the mediocre sides are creating enough chances
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:20 pm Is your lovely little pooch as annoyed as you Scooby?
He's past away he was a rescue dog, previous owners had knocked it about and knocked all his teeth out (bastards) but yeah he'll allways be with us
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:12 pm I’ll see what I can do Kenny 👍
Good man, get em goin BB!

All 35,000
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

This match kicks off at 4:30am Arizona time. So I'll be watching on demand when I wake up. But I like our chances in this one. I predict a 3-0 win for LUFC. We can still WIN the league. Which would be an amazing accomplishment!! MOT!!! 8-)
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:55 pm I don't think anyone is complaining about playing out from the back.

It's the lack of speed that is the complaint.

It's slow, lacks any real punch or bravery and is easy to defend against.

Compare it to Bielsa or Klopp or Pep himself.

Those teams know when to move the ball at speed with sharp short passing or penetrative longer passes

We do neither.

That's the issue not the playing out from the back thing.

We prioritise possession for the sake of it.
DF hasn't had the time or £gazillions Pep and Klopp have trying to perfect it, and even they couldn't do it with bang average players, and players have to be able to adapt to differing games and styles of play, they themselves are hard to come by, as most players have just the one game in them, their natural one, ask them to do anything different and they're flummoxed and have to think too hard, which in turn ruins their overall game.

On the other hand, yes, you are correct mentioning Bert, he could do it with a wider range of bang average players, and a lesser budget.

And yes there are comparables in what DF is trying to do like Pep, Klopp and Bert, can you not see it ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

We have been give now multiple chances from Leicester and Ipswich with 4 games to go it's still not guaranteed because we're still third so no less than 4 wins from our games will do it's that simple and we just have to hope 1 of them will draw or screw up.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

Scoobychief wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:11 am We have been give now multiple chances from Leicester and Ipswich with 4 games to go it's still not guaranteed because we're still third so no less than 4 wins from our games will do it's that simple and we just have to hope 1 of them will draw or screw up.
I suspect we will all screw up at least once. It’s a question of who screws up the least.
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

Three points in the early kick-off, and the pressure goes right back onto the other misfiring teams.