Jean-Kévin Augustin-Appealing wage compensation

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Jean-Kévin Augustin-Appealing wage compensation

Post by Jaydog »

Sara wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:06 pm Depends on your definition of 'owed', I suppose. I don't see how anyone can feel justified in claiming £24.5 million for being s**t and doing f**k all. It's beyond ludicrous.
He’s got a lot of company
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Sara wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:06 pm Depends on your definition of 'owed', I suppose. I don't see how anyone can feel justified in claiming £24.5 million for being s**t and doing f**k all. It's beyond ludicrous.
The law is indeed an ass.
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

When will kinnear be held accountable for this little misdemeanor ??
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Has Kinnear ever give his side of this debacle?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Of ALL the feckin disasters cast upon us by the clown this has to be the biggest, wouldn't it be nice if we could somehow hold him personally responsible.

Dereliction of duty.

Although he'd obviously plead temporary insanity, to which we'd be duty bound to argue against the 'temporary'.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:16 pm When will kinnear be held accountable for this little misdemeanor ??
Teflon has nothing on him!
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

I blame our lawyers. They advised the club that we didn’t have to buy him. If we’d bought him, we could have at least got some use out of him. And even got something when we sold him.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Aussieleeds wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:39 am I blame our lawyers. They advised the club that we didn’t have to buy him. If we’d bought him, we could have at least got some use out of him. And even got something when we sold him.
And yet plenty of other players found themselves out of contract when the season was extended due to Covid, so that new agreements had to be put in place for them to continue playing.

By the letter of the contract, our season had ended without achieving promotion, and the terms of the agreement to buy JKA had expired. The lawyers presumably advised on the letter of the law, and couldn't foresee that the authorities were making the rules up as they went along.

If you're going to ignore that and go by the spirit or intent of the agreement rather than what was actually written down, then it also seems reasonable to say that JKA had not met his side of the deal by actually getting fit enough to play.

In any other situation, if you turn up for work not in a state to carry out your duties, you get sent home. However, player power prevailed, and Leeds were stitched up imho.
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

Lawyers are paid big bucks to advise the club on legal matters. Their advice was that the club’s position was legal.

Yet somehow we ended up liable for the salary of a player for five years while at the same time enabling the player to sign with someone else as a free agent.

The worst I could have possibly imagined was that we paid his salary until it was determined whether he was or wasn’t a Leeds player. Then we could have either played him or sold him. But our lawyers managed to conjure up a far worse outcome.

Totally embarrassing.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Aussieleeds wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:28 am Lawyers are paid big bucks to advise the club on legal matters. Their advice was that the club’s position was legal.

Yet somehow we ended up liable for the salary of a player for five years while at the same time enabling the player to sign with someone else as a free agent.

The worst I could have possibly imagined was that we paid his salary until it was determined whether he was or wasn’t a Leeds player. Then we could have either played him or sold him. But our lawyers managed to conjure up a far worse outcome.

Totally embarrassing.
A key component is Leipzig had experts on Swiss law working for them.

One of them literally works for FIFA now.

We had some English dudes.

I know who my money would be on in a case decided on based on Swiss law.

Also our witnesses were basically idiots according to CAS
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Aussieleeds wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:28 am
"................Yet somehow we ended up liable for the salary of a player for five years while at the same time enabling the player to sign with someone else as a free agent..................................."
I just can't get my head around this! At the point where his new club started to pay his salary i.e. he is that clubs employee how can Leeds United continue to liable for payment to him.

In any case, I agree with the point Sara was making that when Leeds failed failed to win promotion the obligation to buy JKA lapsed. He becomes a Leipzig problem again. So the question of signing the player is academic; Leeds and JKA go their seperate ways. Not so it seems. This whole thing is just barmy
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Jean-Kévin Augustin-Ordered to pay JKA for breach of contract

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:02 pm https://apnews.com/article/cas-leeds-au ... 847c524e74

Appealing the £24.5mil wages we agreed to give JKA which he was awarded

£93,000 a week they agreed to pay him!!!!!

Makes you wonder how much the other dross like Llorente and Aaronson were on.

And the CEO in charge is still here

Not really seeing how we win this given Fifa and more importantly CAS deemed us responsible for the transfer so by default surely we are responsible for the contract?
Can't we just say he'd have had a wage reduction and then ran off on loan just like everyone else?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:07 pm A key component is Leipzig had experts on Swiss law working for them.

One of them literally works for FIFA now.
How is that not a conflict of interest then?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

One of the biggest transfer fook ups in history :lol:

And the Chief Executive in charge is still here!!!!!
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

£24.5m for doing sweet FA. What a bonkers sport this is! Bielsa didn't even want him by all accounts.

Add to that the transfer fee, again for FA, that we can't spend on incoming players. That really is Leeds, Leeds, Leeds, all over.

Hopefully we are now in safer hands, even if Hang-us is still in position.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

We must've had really s**t lawyers! We only had to present that Jack Harrison's deal expired after 30/06/20, not to mention Ryan Fraser, Messi and a few others.

Also why would he be getting PL wages in the Championship, when everyone had to take a pay cut?
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

I don't know why anyone is aiming complaints towards jka. He'll never earn anything like this in his career again so he's going to go for it.

This is all on us. If you agree to signing someone for X amount transfer fee and Y wages for Z amount of years, you enter into an agreement to pay that regardless of sporting performance. That's why any transfer is a gamble, especially high fee deals like this one. We screwed up ultimately.
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

danhirons wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:03 pm I don't know why anyone is aiming complaints towards jka. He'll never earn anything like this in his career again so he's going to go for it.

This is all on us. If you agree to signing someone for X amount transfer fee and Y wages for Z amount of years, you enter into an agreement to pay that regardless of sporting performance. That's why any transfer is a gamble, especially high fee deals like this one. We screwed up ultimately.
This.

This was more about Leeds United stupidly trying to renege on their obligations in a contract. It has cost the Club dear
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

PhoenixUnited wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:50 pm This.

This was more about Leeds United stupidly trying to renege on their obligations in a contract. It has cost the Club dear
Apparently it was Bert that drew up the contract, and DF's fault for not being here at the time.

;@)