The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 17th April) - Football finance expert claims Leeds will fail FFP if promoted

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 17th April) - Football finance expert claims Leeds will fail FFP if promoted

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 17th April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds will fail FFP if promoted

Top Lawyer and football finance expert Stefan Borson has claimed that Leeds Utd will fail the Premier League’s FFP regulations if promoted to the top flight this season!

Borson, Chief Executive of the 'Watchstone Group', whose past clients include Manchester City, alleges that a £20m promotion bonus (inserted in the contracts of the players and coaches) will tip Leeds over the edge of their profit and sustainability responsibilities, and make them susceptible for prosecution next season. Although Phil Hay and Keiran Maguire have both assured the Leeds faithful that the books balance, Borson is insistent that promotion bonuses will spoil the mood at Elland Road this Summer. Speaking to talkSPORT, Borson claimed...

If Leeds get promoted this season, they will fail PSR because of a £20million hit to promotion bonuses. “Of course, they’ve not had the countervailing revenue increase, they’ve actually had a revenue decrease. Ironically, by getting promotion they could fail PSR and be punished in the Premier League even though the only reason they failed is because they got promoted.

Saints claw their way back into promotion contention

Southampton moved back to within three points of Leeds (and a game in hand) with a dominant 3-0 victory over Preston, last night at St Mary's. Just when the South Coast outfit looked down and out, wins against Coventry, Watford (and Preston) have bought Russell Martin's side back into the reckoning. Leeds do still command a better goal difference than all their promotion rivals with a +42 (vs +30 Southampton, +32 Ipswich and +41 Leicester City).

Just two points separate Leeds from top spot, and with only three games of the season left, that advantage could prove critical when all said and done!

Boro could be without 11 first team players for Leeds clash

Middlesbrough could be without eleven first team players for the clash with Leeds Utd next Monday!

Whilst Luke Ayling and Sam Greenwood are ineligible to play against their parent club, Tom Glover, Tommy Smith, Darragh Lenihan, Paddy McNair, Dael Fry, Hayden Hackney, Riley McGree, Marcus Forss, Josh Coburn are all suffering with injury. Michael Carrick's team are undefeated in nine games, but their rich vein of form has come too late to make the play off's. They are eight points shy of sixth place Norwich City, and with just three to play look set to just miss out.

Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 17th April) Leeds will fail FFP if promoted

Post by Clitheroe White »

FFP - Whatever...let's see where we end up first.

Saints - no surprise. Plus we want them to rough up Leicester so still need something to play for in that match.

Middleborough...If Agent Ayling can nobble a few more in training over the next few days even better ;-)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 17th April) Leeds will fail FFP if promoted

Post by Irish Ian »

As we know it'll only be a two points deduction.

OK.it may keep us out of a Champions League spot but that's probably not a bad thing. We dont want to go too fast too soon..

Interesting how the OP paints this as some sort of dialogue between the lawyer and PH.

Lawyer says this, PH says that then lawyer dude 'insists'.

Misrepresentation at its best .

Keep it ip.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

The suggested promotion bonus amount tipping us over the FFP threshold is just speculation for me.

It would be poor financial planning to allow that to happen, considering the nature of related investigations occurring, all clubs will be very careful and doubling down to ensure the batteries in their respective Casio calculators are replaced on a frequent basis.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

We need the Scottish Hate Speech laws to be able to prosecute anyone that says anything derogatory about Leeds united, or call into question our fiscal propriety, because such allegations can cause us untold damage to our mental health.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Can’t believe you’ve led with this story when meat & crumpet prices are down. I’ve just been in the meat & crumpet shop for six hours. People are stocking up in case meat & crumpet goes up again.
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:29 am Can’t believe you’ve led with this story when meat & crumpet prices are down. I’ve just been in the meat & crumpet shop for six hours. People are stocking up in case meat & crumpet goes up again.
F*cks sake just done the weekly shop and I didn't stock up on meat and crumpets because I had no idea.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:04 pm F*cks sake just done the weekly shop and I didn't stock up on meat and crumpets because I had no idea.
I’m a member of the meat & crumpet society so got an early heads up. I’m happy to send you some at ridiculously marked up prices 👍🏼
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:06 am Leeds will fail FFP if promoted
The form we're in, I don't think we'll have to worry about FFP.

I'm already in a mindset & looking forward to another season in the championship.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Four years ago to the day, we lost a true legend...

Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:31 am As we know it'll only be a two points deduction.

OK.it may keep us out of a Champions League spot but that's probably not a bad thing. We dont want to go too fast too soon..

Interesting how the OP paints this as some sort of dialogue between the lawyer and PH.

Lawyer says this, PH says that then lawyer dude 'insists'.

Misrepresentation at its best .

Keep it ip.
I have a spy in the FL who tells me there’s secret negotiations going on that next year there will be a point-per-game penalty for all teams playing east of the Pennines, north of the river Trent and south of the Tees, specifically those with an LS11 postcode, just to ensure fair play all round.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:06 pm I’m a member of the meat & crumpet society so got an early heads up. I’m happy to send you some at ridiculously marked up prices 👍🏼
I don’t like crumpets, is it compulsory to stockpile them?
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Orange Box wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:15 pm I don’t like crumpets, is it compulsory to stockpile them?
Yes. But you can’t smoke them if born after 2009.
That’s what Ricky Sumack said.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I love crumpet
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I love crumpet
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:31 pm I love crumpet
You can say that again.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:06 pm I’m a member of the meat & crumpet society so got an early heads up. I’m happy to send you some at ridiculously marked up prices 👍🏼
Yes please, I can't wait to get my hands on your lovely meat. My lips are salivating in anticipation.
However I have just been informed that Royal Mail are no longer delivering packages so small.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:54 pm You can say that again.
I fear they are being filthy Jaydog and taking advantage of your innocnet naivety.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:35 pm I fear they are being filthy Jaydog and taking advantage of your innocnet naivety.
Yes I think so. I only know crumpet from having it with granny in front of the fire. Such innocent days.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I saw the interview on talksport and whilst we may have promotion bonuses I hardly see it as a problem as even if we got promoted we could simply not pay the bonuses until the first day of next season in terms of the financial year (I think this would be July 1st). That would then mean that the supposed £20m bonuses would be in next season's accounts and the club can set the budget accordingly.