Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Middlesbrough pre match chat

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:23 pm But he has shown he can play the lone role for other teams.

He wasn't lauded for his goalscoring skills only, he was lauded for his workrate, link play and hold up play.

So it isn't he can't do these things.

Maybe he needs some faith? A run of games in his best position?

If Bamford was written off as quickly he'd have left years ago.
Let's put it this way - I wouldn't be trying to find out with just 3 games to go.

And it's not like he hasn't tried with him throughout the season.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Who would try to make sense of this league? In any normal year 90 points or above would have cemented your promotion. We can no longer rely on form to make prediction on how games will turn out, since it has become a regular occurance that teams near the bottom of the table are beating teams at the top.

At times like these that folks turn to gypsy curses to explain bad luck or inexplicable results, perhaps Don Revie has ingrained this mentality into the fans. Did he not burn the orange strip that Leeds wore when they lost to Stoke, and this phobia has resurfaced in the modern day hatred of the rhubarb and custard kit that has come to be associated with losses. We lost because our players have become barbie dolls... Hollywood has emasculated them. Remember Farke and the pink dressing room at Norwich... what were those mind games all about if not to gain some psychological advantage.

The Don had a deep-rooted fear of feathered birds and he urged the club to scrap its owl badge and shake off the nickname 'The Peacocks' - as he believed they were bad luck. Well that rules out the second away strip because it has a peacock motive woven into it... blatant disregard by the 49ers who don't know the history. Don even had his lucky blue suit, which he always wore to important games... and fans wear their lucky socks or scarves in the hope of a win.

It is not the team selection, the tactics of the manager, the strength of the opposition that determines the outcome of a game but the yellow sun in the blue sky surrounded by white clouds the colours of Leeds United that raises hope against all odds, and not the apophenic friend who had a dream of a tractor pulling a horse box with the racehorse Bielsa in it, and emblazoned on the side of the horse box was King Power Racing... Bielsa owned by King Power, it was a sign and an omen...and the tractor out in front well he said you know what that means?
Screenshot_20240417-105605_DuckDuckGo.jpg
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Sean_Nile wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:09 am Who would try to make sense of this league? In any normal year 90 points or above would have cemented your promotion. We can no longer rely on form to make prediction on how games will turn out, since it has become a regular occurance that teams near the bottom of the table are beating teams at the top.

At times like these that folks turn to gypsy curses to explain bad luck or inexplicable results, perhaps Don Revie has ingrained this mentality into the fans. Did he not burn the orange strip that Leeds wore when they lost to Stoke, and this phobia has resurfaced in the modern day hatred of the rhubarb and custard kit that has come to be associated with losses. We lost because our players have become barbie dolls... Hollywood has emasculated them. Remember Farke and the pink dressing room at Norwich... what were those mind games all about if not to gain some psychological advantage.

The Don had a deep-rooted fear of feathered birds and he urged the club to scrap its owl badge and shake off the nickname 'The Peacocks' - as he believed they were bad luck. Well that rules out the second away strip because it has a peacock motive woven into it... blatant disregard by the 49ers who don't know the history. Don even had his lucky blue suit, which he always wore to important games... and fans wear their lucky socks or scarves in the hope of a win.

It is not the team selection, the tactics of the manager, the strength of the opposition that determines the outcome of a game but the yellow sun in the blue sky surrounded by white clouds the colours of Leeds United that raises hope against all odds, and not the apophenic friend who had a dream of a tractor pulling a horse box with the racehorse Bielsa in it, and emblazoned on the side of the horse box was King Power Racing... Bielsa owned by King Power, it was a sign and an omen...and the tractor out in front well he said you know what that means?
Screenshot_20240417-105605_DuckDuckGo.jpg
You're living in the past man, Bielsa is no longer the manager so we need to channel the power of Daniel's namesake, Andrew A Farke and his knowledge of birds, especially the Femoral Strength and Posture in Terrestrial Birds and Non-Avian Theropods, and soar to promotion whilst sh*tting, from a great height, upon the rotting carcass that is the EFL.

Release the Ostriches of War, they may be unable to fly but they can sure run around ruddy fast.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Bamford runs like an ostrich. So does Gruev.
So we are the Ostriches and not the Peacocks.
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

weasel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:30 am You're living in the past man, Bielsa is no longer the manager so we need to channel the power of Daniel's namesake, Andrew A Farke and his knowledge of birds, especially the Femoral Strength and Posture in Terrestrial Birds and Non-Avian Theropods, and soar to promotion whilst sh*tting, from a great height, upon the rotting carcass that is the EFL.

Release the Ostriches of War, they may be unable to fly but they can sure run around ruddy fast.
We can all invent our own mythologies if they keep us sane and give us hope.

However ostriches have a predilection to hide their heads in the sand at any sign of trouble, and therefore regardless of their ability to perambulate at an admirable velocity they would not be a suitable metaphor... not withstanding their ability to produce copious amounts of faecal matter, which if applied at the proper opportunities might be quite efficacious.

If we must renew our mascot I would suggest a Rhodesian Ridgeback or a Rottweiler on steroids, as this image envokes one of strength, energy, and tenacity, qualities that we are in dire need of.

Although in the Californian board room in an attempt to infiltrate the Latino market, there have been serious discussions that the dog of choice should be the chihauhau... a pet that can also be regarded as an accessory... this would also appeal to the woke community so it absolutely makes financial sense.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:16 pm Piroe isn't a 9, even Farke said pre season Piroe likes to arrive late into the box. He's a goal scoring mid
Southampton’s Martin while at Swansea also agreed with Farke that he’s not a 9 for the same reason you stated.
They see them in training as well as matchday so they must have an idea on his ideal position.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:19 am Let's put it this way - I wouldn't be trying to find out with just 3 games to go.

And it's not like he hasn't tried with him throughout the season.
A handful of games sporadically isn't really trying.

It is a managers job to get the best out of his players.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:11 am A handful of games sporadically isn't really trying.

It is a managers job to get the best out of his players.
It is a players job to do what their manager demands.

Some just can't or won't.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:26 pm It is a players job to do what their manager demands.

Some just can't or won't.
Then why sign him?

It isn't like he is an unknown, if he doesn't or can't do the style then why spend millions on him?

That would be a fault of recruitment and Farke?

Because as Kinnear said himself.

‘I’m first-team manager’. That’s a semantic change in terms of job title but it actually sums up his approach, which is much more like Marcelo’s — ‘I want to run everything’. Daniel’s not going to report to a director of football. Daniel’s going to run the football department with the assistance of a technical director, head of recruitment and head of football operations
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:28 pm Then why sign him?

It isn't like he is an unknown, if he doesn't or can't do the style then why spend millions on him?

That would be a fault of recruitment and Farke?

Because as Kinnear said himself.

‘I’m first-team manager’. That’s a semantic change in terms of job title but it actually sums up his approach, which is much more like Marcelo’s — ‘I want to run everything’. Daniel’s not going to report to a director of football. Daniel’s going to run the football department with the assistance of a technical director, head of recruitment and head of football operations

Why do other managers sign flops ? Why are some players brilliant at one club, move to another and just can't do it, why is the sky black at night ?

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jeez, Leeds Soton and Lesta all play twice before Ipswich next kick a ball, who then have Hull and Coventry away in 3 days

So 6 games for Ipswich to watch.

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

What a messed up programme to have it turn out that way. I mean just fabulous planning. Ipswich must be fuming.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Piroe's goals per minutes for us would equate to him getting 19 goals if equated to playing every match for the full season - would be around 20 if you factored in 5 minutes injury time per game. That is a decent return and similar to his record for Swansea, 19 last year and 22 the season before.

What it shows is that he isn't exactly a flop despite not seemingly hitting any heights or supposedly being able to play in this team. Considering he has been played deeper than at Swansea and has also often come on in a midfield role I would say he has had a pretty decent season goals wise.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:37 am Bamford runs like an ostrich. So does Gruev.
So we are the Ostriches and not the Peacocks.
We do have some rather unorthodox running styles in the team. Bamford reminds me of Penelope Pitstop when he runs. For those who remember the Ant Hill mob cartoons.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

DDB220 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:04 pm We do have some rather unorthodox running styles in the team. Bamford reminds me of Penelope Pitstop when he runs. For those who remember the Ant Hill mob cartoons.
I remember them but not specifically Penelope. I’ll Google it.
He’ll be thrilled with that comparison :roflmao:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Piroe was finding the net when the team hadnt settled into the format we are using now.

Then it was Ampadu in MF and Rutter up top with Piroe as the 10.

Funny that, as when that was happening there was a lot of complaint over how it didnt work, but looking back it kind of did results wise.
Perhaps DF needs to go back and look at those games as see if it is worth investigating again, I would rather we risked Cresswell at the back in the next game if it allowed our MF to be beefed up as a result. And as for this left foot right foot combo as CBs, I know it is preferred, but seeing we dont see that many long ball distribution from the CBs I dont see it as a big deal, especially as we play Boro and Qpr.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:31 pm I remember them but not specifically Penelope. I’ll Google it.
He’ll be thrilled with that comparison :roflmao:
Wacky Races, Ant Hill mob were just one of the cars .... Someone once worked out the overall champion if each race followed the same scoring as Formula 1...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:55 pm Piroe was finding the net when the team hadnt settled into the format we are using now.

Then it was Ampadu in MF and Rutter up top with Piroe as the 10.

Funny that, as when that was happening there was a lot of complaint over how it didnt work, but looking back it kind of did results wise.
Perhaps DF needs to go back and look at those games as see if it is worth investigating again, I would rather we risked Cresswell at the back in the next game if it allowed our MF to be beefed up as a result. And as for this left foot right foot combo as CBs, I know it is preferred, but seeing we dont see that many long ball distribution from the CBs I dont see it as a big deal, especially as we play Boro and Qpr.
A very valid point and the reason it was viewed as not working was because Rutter wan't scoring enough as a 9. We switched Rutter to the 10 where his lack of goals is seemingly less important but then Bamford got his goal in the cup and then hit one of his trademark sstreaky scoring spells so Piroe didn't really get a chance at 9.

For me at this point I'd go with the better finisher as a goal is priceless now. That for me is Piroe as I dont know enough about how good a finisher Joseph is.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Piroe.................... is .........................not ....................a...........................9
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:37 pm Piroe.................... is .........................not ....................a...........................9
He is a goalscorer, something which we could do with. No?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa