Leeds Utd v Southampton Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Southampton pre match chat

Post by DDB220 »

So assuming we are completely out of the auto promotion picture on the last day, which is currently not the case - even if Ipswich beat Coventry - we make lots of changes for the Southampton game and it turns out to be a bore fest 0-0 with each team more concerned about avoiding injury. What would we have learned. ( oh yes and Ipswich lose at home to the Udders)

Put KK in goal and he has nothing of note to deal with - does this then suggest he should replace Meslier for the play off’s ?. He is largely an unknown quantity and who can confidently say (except Faaip the prophet) that he will be any better under proper game pressure situations ?

I personally see absolutely no value in experimenting now - resting players is a different debate.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Assuming it is the play offs, who would we rather play, Norwich, West Brom or Hull?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:22 am Assuming it is the play offs, who would we rather play, Norwich, West Brom or Hull?
If Hull make it they will be going in off the back of some positive results, so I'd rather avoid them.

WBA got woofed at Wednesday, so I'd fancy us to beat them. But generally I don't fancy us at all in the playoffs as our record is terrible.

So just hope we miraculously get autos or we're up against it

I actually fancy Norwich to win the playoffs.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

From what I have seen of him I would be more than happy with KK in goal
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Madron wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:29 pm Lets hope Cov put out a reasonable team for their fans @ home.

Got these thoughts in my head that Coventry win tomorrow.
Only problem is we scrape home against the Saints and Ipswich score a bagful and pip us on GD.
Surely not.
For Ipswich to advance on goal difference, they need to only lose by one goal at Coventry and we need to only beat Saints by one goal.

They then would need to beat Udders 9-0. Won't happen.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

whiteinfrance wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:43 am From what I have seen of him I would be more than happy with KK in goal
Yeah me too 😀

One of Farke's contradictions this season was that when Rodon got sent off he publicly criticised him and put him on the bench for an extra match as punishment.

And that was for a legitimate challenge.

Meslier got a red card for raising his hands. But when he completed his ban he was straight back in the team, and no criticism from Farke.

That's double standards and poor management.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

White Riot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:55 am Yeah me too 😀

One of Farke's contradictions this season was that when Rodon got sent off he publicly criticised him and put him on the bench for an extra match as punishment.

And that was for a legitimate challenge.

Meslier got a red card for raising his hands. But when he completed his ban he was straight back in the team, and no criticism from Farke.

That's double standards and poor management.
Regarding KK It is your opinion, which I respect. But what you have seen so far amounts to what exactly ?

If he was that good would he be third choice keeper ? I haven’t heard anything about other clubs sniffing round this hidden gem. He may well be the next big thing, I have no idea, but DF see’s him in training everyday as do the all the other coaching staff. Is it the case that we have better players in our squad who are oven ready and the manager and coaching staff are clearly too incompetent to recognise this.

Because by default that is what is suggested.
Tom the Cat
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Tom the Cat »

Nobody has mentioned this but is it possible that the dire performance against QPR was the result of problems in the dressing room ?You will recall that PB and Joseph had to be separated during a pre-match warm up - may not be an isolated incident If so it may well carry on to Saturday.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:40 pm Regarding KK It is your opinion, which I respect. But what you have seen so far amounts to what exactly ?

If he was that good would he be third choice keeper ? I haven’t heard anything about other clubs sniffing round this hidden gem. He may well be the next big thing, I have no idea, but DF see’s him in training everyday as do the all the other coaching staff. Is it the case that we have better players in our squad who are oven ready and the manager and coaching staff are clearly too incompetent to recognise this.

Because by default that is what is suggested.
When KK, Joseph and Cresswell (from quite a while ago) have been given minutes they have looked capable. But we'll never know what they can do if they aren't given a chance in the first team.

For me it should always be healthy to have competition for first team places and have options. Otherwise players like Paddy, Meslier, etc, know that it doesn't matter what they do on the pitch as they will be picked regardless.

DF does not have options if things are going wrong, because he's neglected the chance to develop these players, while using every ounce of stamina of our first team players. Look at Jaidon Anthony, we don't need him, cos he's never gonna be played unless there's a plague of injuries/suspensions. And yet he's looked ok when he's had minutes. KK looked ok in the Cup matches and when IM was suspended. Going back ages CC pocketed Antonio when we played West Ham at home and had a decent loan at Millwall.

I just think, that like Bielsa, DF puts all his eggs in one basket and if that doesn't work well just throw on all your attacking players on and hope for the best. Surely it's better to have utilized the squad so that you have tried and tested options when you need them,
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

White Riot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:53 pm When KK, Joseph and Cresswell (from quite a while ago) have been given minutes they have looked capable. But we'll never know what they can do if they aren't given a chance in the first team.

For me it should always be healthy to have competition for first team places and have options. Otherwise players like Paddy, Meslier, etc, know that it doesn't matter what they do on the pitch as they will be picked regardless.

DF does not have options if things are going wrong, because he's neglected the chance to develop these players, while using every ounce of stamina of our first team players. Look at Jaidon Anthony, we don't need him, cos he's never gonna be played unless there's a plague of injuries/suspensions. And yet he's looked ok when he's had minutes. KK looked ok in the Cup matches and when IM was suspended. Going back ages CC pocketed Antonio when we played West Ham at home and had a decent loan at Millwall.

I just think, that like Bielsa, DF puts all his eggs in one basket and if that doesn't work well just throw on all your attacking players on and hope for the best. Surely it's better to have utilized the squad so that you have tried and tested options when you need them,
Don’t get me wrong I agree that the squad as a whole needed utilising more, but when you are on a fantastic run as we were and playing catch up. At what point do you give the fringe players minutes. In hindsight we can all see that this was probably a mistake. But at the time who foresaw a drop off like we have had in the last 7 games.
Team Confidence is not restricted to only those who are playing, nervous tension will be throughout the whole squad. Our current issues are not restricted to 1 or 2 players IMO - there are 6/7 that are not at the same level we have seen previously. But the finger pointing is generally aimed at those who are in the positions where the adverse situations are easily identified. A missed chance or on the end of a soft goal.
Every situation offensively and defensively has a lot of moving parts. I agree that Mes should have done better with a few of the goals but when the opposition carve through us and have all the time in the world to get a shot away - is the problem purely down to the keeper or more widespread. We were not allowing these chances on a wholesale basis previously.
The loss of confidence in all areas of the pitch is the problem as I see it.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Tom the Cat wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:41 pm Nobody has mentioned this but is it possible that the dire performance against QPR was the result of problems in the dressing room ?You will recall that PB and Joseph had to be separated during a pre-match warm up - may not be an isolated incident If so it may well carry on to Saturday.
The dressing room is generally a happy place when a team is winning. There will always be friction to some degree if that isn’t the case. This is the nature of team sports.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:27 pm Don’t get me wrong I agree that the squad as a whole needed utilising more, but when you are on a fantastic run as we were and playing catch up. At what point do you give the fringe players minutes. In hindsight we can all see that this was probably a mistake. But at the time who foresaw a drop off like we have had in the last 7 games.
Team Confidence is not restricted to only those who are playing, nervous tension will be throughout the whole squad. Our current issues are not restricted to 1 or 2 players IMO - there are 6/7 that are not at the same level we have seen previously. But the finger pointing is generally aimed at those who are in the positions where the adverse situations are easily identified. A missed chance or on the end of a soft goal.
Every situation offensively and defensively has a lot of moving parts. I agree that Mes should have done better with a few of the goals but when the opposition carve through us and have all the time in the world to get a shot away - is the problem purely down to the keeper or more widespread. We were not allowing these chances on a wholesale basis previously.
True, the collective spirit and confidence seems to have evaporated recently.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:27 pm Don’t get me wrong I agree that the squad as a whole needed utilising more, but when you are on a fantastic run as we were and playing catch up. At what point do you give the fringe players minutes. In hindsight we can all see that this was probably a mistake. But at the time who foresaw a drop off like we have had in the last 7 games.
Good post DDB ^ not easy changing a winning team while chasing a massive points difference although maybe giving the subs a bit longer to have a look at them or using them in our cup games may have helped. I can remember that even in the middle of our best run of results there was a lot of comments on how we dropped off after the subs were used and that our bench wasn’t good enough so DF is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t Even if Ipswich win tonight I’d like to see Kamara come back in & Archie back to right back and start with the team DF intends to use in the play offs without any big changes. No point resting players unless injured, if they can’t lift themselves for the final games and a chance of promotion they shouldn’t be here.
Keeping The Faith
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Orange Box wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:55 am I said it some weeks ago - this is a dress rehearsal for Wembley.
As long as that dress isn't pink
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:41 am Automatic promotion achieved on Saturday is the goal but somewhere in the deepest recesses of my twisted mind I’d love us to have another crack at the play offs. I can’t think of a better end to the season than winning the final at Wembley, what a lift that would give us all after a torrid few years.
Funny - been thinking the same thing Cussie.
It would be a marvelous boost for a season start in the Prem. And break our awful streak in playoffs. Proper fairytale stuff.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:32 pm As long as that dress isn't pink
Blue!
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Johnsie123
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Johnsie123 »

I have to say not sure I want us to go up because do we want to go to then get smashed by most of the teams in the prem because that's what will happen with this team and a manager who only has one way of setting up ,sorry but true me thinks .
Morpheus
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Morpheus »

The match is now meaningless. Ipswich won’t falter against Huddersfield at home.

We’ll bottle the playoffs.

Next season it is….
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:22 am If Ipswich are promoted

Klaesson
Gray
Firpo
Cresswell
Ampadu
Gruev
Gnonto
Kamara
Joseph
Piroe
Summerville

Rodon for CC, Geo for Piroe if we need a result
Ipswich can't be promoted until the final day. They still need a point. So we still have to go full strength, play for the win in the hope Ipswich lose. No way Farke is playing a weakened team. He has to go for the win. Imagine the uproar if he didn't and Ipswich lost. So, he'll be picking the best available team for sure.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:19 am So assuming we are completely out of the auto promotion picture on the last day, which is currently not the case - even if Ipswich beat Coventry - we make lots of changes for the Southampton game and it turns out to be a bore fest 0-0 with each team more concerned about avoiding injury. What would we have learned. ( oh yes and Ipswich lose at home to the Udders)

Put KK in goal and he has nothing of note to deal with - does this then suggest he should replace Meslier for the play off’s ?. He is largely an unknown quantity and who can confidently say (except Faaip the prophet) that he will be any better under proper game pressure situations ?

I personally see absolutely no value in experimenting now - resting players is a different debate.
There was no scenario where we'd be out of the automatic promotion picture. We're 3 points behind with a better goal difference. Hence, we still have to play to win on the off chance that Ipswich slip up.