New number 9

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: New number 9

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:57 pm Yeboah - 24/47
Aye, another proper striker Leon :tup:

His skill level was something else, and better than anyone else on that list in terms of technical ability imo

I know everyone remembers his goal against Liverpool, but the goal against Wimbledon is just jaw-droppingly insane :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNLl_NVUgX8
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

weasel wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:50 am Probably Chris Wood as a straightforward 9. Roofe was more of a winger or play of the big guy striker. Pierre-Michel Lasogga
(the german fella on loan) maybe could be classed as a straightforward 9 too.

maybe even JKA....
Yes, I would probably have gone for Chris Wood as well - around 30 goals in one season in all competitions wasn't it ?

I was sorry when Roofe left the club - he is a more instinctive finisher than Bamford.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

White Riot wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:06 pm Agree with that Chapel :tup:

Paddy can go on a buy one, Meslier, and get two free deal, Paddy and Cooper = cya :wave:

Chris Wood is the last decent striker we've had.

Just for comparison: Appearances/Goals Scored:

Patrick Bamford 175/56
Chris Wood 83/41
Jermaine Beckford: 126/71
Lucciano Becchio: 190/76
Mark Viduka: 130/59
JFH: 69/34
Lee Chapman 137/62
Joe Jordan: 170/35 = the only striker on this list that makes Paddy's stats look better
Allan Clarke: 273/110

Not a good read for Bamford lovers :) ;-)
Interesting stats - thanks for that White Riot. Of course, Viduka's, JFH's, Jordan's and Clarke's goals were all scored in the top tier.

Viduka's and JFH's stats are very impressive. If only we had held on to Jimmy.... from what I remember he had an explosive shot. Viduka had amazing balance and agility for a big guy - rather like Eddie Gray in that respect.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

1964white wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:34 am Some would say Viduka or Hasselbaink.

Top-notch for me would be Yeboah. 8-)

At League One/championship level --- Jermaine Beckford, although he never played for Leeds in the championship.
All three were top notch I would say.

I can still remember the thrill of marvelling at Yeboah early in the 1995/6 season. First there was the famous volley at ER against Liverpool - colleagues at work were all talking about it the next day. And then an even better goal a week or two later at Wimbledon. And then he followed it up with a stunning hat trick against Monaco in the UEFA. He had incredible instinctive ability, and was so spectacular. I was annoyed by how Graham treated him when he became manager.

Beckford at one point routinely used to score a brace every other week at ER in League One - at his best he was a prolific striker.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Fri May 03, 2024 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:36 pm Interesting stats - thanks for that White Riot. Of course, Viduka's, JFH's, Jordan's and Clarke's goals were all scored in the top tier.

Viduka's and JFH's stats are very impressive. If only we had held on to Jimmy.... from what I remember he had an explosive shot. Viduka had amazing balance and agility for a big guy - rather like Eddie Gray in that respect.
Yeah, talented players. Jimmy had a lightning bolt snapshot with no backlift and wasn't afraid to shoot.

Big Vid wasn't the most athletic, but read the game brilliantly. Held the ball up well, physically strong and difficult to dispossess. As you say Chapel, he was nimble and fleet footed for such a big fella and able to finish with head and foot.

Mark also had that typical Aussie confidence and determination to win. I'm sure Smithy learned a lot from him. I absolutely love big Mark, the 4 goals and win against Liverpool at ER was incredible.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:51 pm Aye, another proper striker Leon :tup:

His skill level was something else, and better than anyone else on that list in terms of technical ability imo

I know everyone remembers his goal against Liverpool, but the goal against Wimbledon is just jaw-droppingly insane :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNLl_NVUgX8
Yeboah scored with thunderbolts, passing the ball into the net plus tap-ins. Also scored overhead kicks, rounding a keeper, headers, goals with his left & right foot. A complete striker!

Unbelievably good in one of our poorest teams during the 90s, in-between our league title winning side & the team that did well in Europe.

I was at Old Trafford for his debut goal off his knee-cap, also memorable away days at Upton Park where Tony nearly broke the net with an absolute screamer, two headers at Filbert Street & that day at Selhurst Park when Carlton Palmer thought he had scored the goal of the season until Yeboah strutted his stuff with a awesome goal against Wimbledon. 8-)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:30 am Yeboah scored with thunderbolts, passing the ball into the net plus tap-ins. Also scored overhead kicks, rounding a keeper, headers, goals with his left & right foot. A complete striker!

Unbelievably good in one of our poorest teams during the 90s, in-between our league title winning side & the team that did well in Europe.

I was at Old Trafford for his debut goal off his knee-cap, also memorable away days at Upton Park where Tony nearly broke the net with an absolute screamer, two headers at Filbert Street & that day at Selhurst Park when Carlton Palmer thought he had scored the goal of the season until Yeboah strutted his stuff with a awesome goal against Wimbledon. 8-)
Great memories Leon :love:

George Graham's team epitomized that "safe" approach, he'd perfected at Arsenal.

We also had some great goalies in the past too ;-)

Nigel Martyn being the best for me, but John Lukic and David Harvey were also solid goalkeepers.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:48 am Great memories Leon :love:

George Graham's team epitomized that "safe" approach, he'd perfected at Arsenal.

We also had some great goalies in the past too ;-)

Nigel Martyn being the best for me, but John Lukic and David Harvey were also solid goalkeepers.
Unlike our strikers & keepers in the current set-up, nowhere near that level.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

To be honest, there are only Europe's best strikers in modern football who have the quality of Tony Yeboah, that's how great he was in his brief spell at Leeds.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:54 am Unlike our strikers & keepers in the current set-up, nowhere near that level.
Exactly Leon :)

That was the point of the exercise :lol:

To give those that blindly defend Meslier and Bamford pause for thought, as to what has been, what should be, and what could be in the future.

Mediocrity ain't my cuppa Leon 8-)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:58 am To be honest, there are only Europe's best strikers in modern football who have the quality of Tony Yeboah, that's how great he was in his brief spell at Leeds.
100% mate :tup:

He was at the level of Benzema, Lewandowski, and whoever else you want to mention.

What a gem he was :love:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:01 am 100% mate :tup:

He was at the level of Benzema, Lewandowski, and whoever else you want to mention.

What a gem he was :love:
Somehow, Wilko & his staff found Yeboah, only for George Graham to come along & rub Tony's nose in the ground, and as a consequence gave us a season of boring football.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

1964white wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:30 am Yeboah scored with thunderbolts, passing the ball into the net plus tap-ins. Also scored overhead kicks, rounding a keeper, headers, goals with his left & right foot. A complete striker!

I was living in London back in 1995, and I remember reading a preview in the Evening Standard of that weekend's Leeds vs a London club ( I can't remember which club ) It made me smile because the preview said ' Yeboah doesn't exactly do tap-ins. ' I think this was written fairly soon after his spectacular Liverpool and Wimbledon goals.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

1964white wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:29 am Somehow, Wilko & his staff found Yeboah, only for George Graham to come along & rub Tony's nose in the ground, and as a consequence gave us a season of boring football.
Everybody still remembers Yeboah's brilliance in a Leeds shirt, but few remember Graham's boring tenure as manager....
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:38 pm Everybody still remembers Yeboah's brilliance in a Leeds shirt, but few remember Graham's boring tenure as manager....
So true
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

1964white wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:49 am
Hard to tell which was his better foot - great control and explosive shooting with either. Definitely the most talented striker that's played for the club since the mid 60s, and that includes Clarke.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Fri May 03, 2024 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

I think a lot of folk have overlooked Frank Strandli.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:15 pm Hard to tell which was his better foot - great control and explosive shooting with either. Definitely the most talented striker that's ever played for the club, and that includes Clarke.
A proper striker who was comfortable with either foot.

Yeboah didn't need service, he created his own goals.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Overman wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:15 pm I think a lot of folk have overlooked Frank Strandli.
Don't forget Steve Morrison....