The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 13th May) Leeds gain upper hand after goalless goal

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 13th May) Leeds gain upper hand after goalless goal

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 13th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds gain upper hand after goalless goal

Caution was utmost as Norwich City and Leeds played out a goalless draw in the first leg of the Championship play-off Semi-final at Carrow Road on Sunday lunchtime. With so much at stake (and Bamford still injured), Daniel Farke sacrificed Joel Piroe, and went with a five man midfield to keep the Canaries at bay, and it worked. It may not have been pretty, but the hosts were restricted to just one shot on target.

It was a similar story at the other end of the pitch, though the draw will definitely suit Leeds better. Norwich' away form has let them down this season. Away from Carrow Road, the Canaries have won six out of 23, placing them 19th in the away form guide against a team with (up until recently) an impeccable home record. Back to back losses at Elland Road saw Leeds slip to second place in the home form guide, behind the Tractor Boys whose only home defeat was against Leeds. Even so, Leeds are firm favourites to book their place in the final against either Southampton or West Brom.

If we had used VAR this season, we'd be automatically promoted

Speaking at his post match press conference, Leeds Manager Daniel Farke expressed anger and bewilderment regarding the amount of decisions that have gone against the Whites this season. The gaffer was discussing Firpo's goal that had been ruled out by the referee's assistant as Rutter was judged to have been ruled out in the build up. Without VAR and Hawk-Eye's virtual offside line technology, it was impossible to gage whether it was the correct decision or not, but Farke was clearly not happy with the outcome!

Furthermore, Farke revealed he has twelve letters of apologies from match officials, admitting mistakes that have cost Leeds points this season, leading to claims that his side would have won automatic promotion had VAR been in place.

Norfolk Police searching for third man who assaulted Leeds fan

Norfolk Police have arrested two men, and searching for a third, after a Leeds fan was attacked whilst leaving Carrow Road yesterday. The victim, a man in his 60's was punched, struck with a can, and slashed in the face and neck with a sharp object of some description. He was treated by paramedics at the scene, and allowed to head home without the need for hospital treatment.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 13th May) Leeds gain upper hand after goalless goal

Post by 1964white »

After reading the title header, I don't think we have gained the upper hand, we are still level & have to play a team who'll be up for it at Elland Road where we have suffered two consecutive home defeats against two poorer teams than the canaries.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2nd leg ends up as another draw, can see it being tight & a low scoring game, just as it was in our league match vs Norwich.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 13th May) Leeds gain upper hand after goalless goal

Post by 1964white »

Looking closely at the photo above, if that was taken from our game at Norwich, it seems the police had already apprehended a man in a pink top.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

1964white wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:47 am After reading the title thread, I don't think we have gained the upper hand, we are still level & have to play a team who'll be up for it at Elland Road where we have suffered two consecutive home defeats against two poorer teams than the canaries.
Getting the upper hand.

For picking teams two kids would hold on to a bat and with their hands move alternatively up the bat towards the top.

Whoever reached the top of the bat had the upper hand and had the first pick in choosing someone for their team, thus gaining a small advantage.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
I only saw around 10 minutes of the game under the stand at Headingley stadium, it looked boring.
It's all about the one game shoot-out now, nothing else matters till after that game, home advantage with the crowd !! well, we've seen many many times how that can have the reverse effect with the players freezing and basically bottling it with a baying for blood partisan crowd urging them on, in effect, expecting too much.
Whatever happens, we really need to get shots on goal to be effective.
It's been a fantastic season for us thus far, I predicted 8th at the beginning with the turmoil, obviously disappointed since the Int break but what do you do.
We can't complain about VAR, it's the rotten officials who have cost us, we know the rules.
Onward and upwards.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

Upper hand,I don't think so,we'll buckle under the pressure guaranteed !
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks,

We had a job to do yesterday and we did it, not pretty but at this stage the result is all that matters.

DF has a couple of days now to solve the striker situation.
From what I gather Rutter couldnt adapt to the role, it might be his fitness issues or it may be also that he does not yet understand the role he needs to play.

Re DFs VAR claims, I know it was probably an off the cuff reaction, there have been some moments over the season where non VAR has helped us, I recall Amps fouling someone in the box one time and escaping, there was of course home to Leicester and away to Boro that also went our way.

On the other side of the coin we have been denied a couple of penalties and been on the wrong end of violent conduct which has went unpunished.

The attack. I hate to see it, it seemed to have been ignited by tragedy chanting as well. Nasty stuff.
Of course Leeds fans have proved to be trouble as well.

In every case I wish those inclined that way would stay away and allow everyone to enjoy the occasion safely.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

tempFileForShare_20240506-183316.jpg
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

Regarding VAR,swings and roundabouts
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Come on people show a bit of belief for once, my wife swears by manifesting and being positive, I think it’s nonsense personally but there must be some correlation with how Leeds regularly under perform and how negative we are as a fan base. We will get through Thursday and hopefully get revenge on Southampton in the final.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

WhiteRose wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:29 am Come on people show a bit of belief for once, my wife swears by manifesting and being positive, I think it’s nonsense personally but there must be some correlation with how Leeds regularly under perform and how negative we are as a fan base. We will get through Thursday and hopefully get revenge on Southampton in the final.
Agree with you WhiteRose about the need to be positive and upbeat. Too many of our own fans want to put us down even before a ball is kicked.
We have a good chance to win this next game, and if we do we also have a good chance to win the play-off final regardless of who we play or whats gone on during the past season. Why some of our fans have to be so negative is hard to understand.
As long as we give it a good go, show our fighting spirit then that`s all you can ask.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

WhiteRose wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:29 am Come on people show a bit of belief for once, my wife swears by manifesting and being positive, I think it’s nonsense personally but there must be some correlation with how Leeds regularly under perform and how negative we are as a fan base. We will get through Thursday and hopefully get revenge on Southampton in the final.
Hear Hear

It's always the same miserable buggers who can only make negative statements and have nothing positive to say :(
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

whiteinfrance wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:43 am Hear Hear

It's always the same miserable buggers who can only make negative statements and have nothing positive to say :(
And let's not forget the magical powers of superstition. When the fans start blaming the team's woes on everything from pink strips to the bygone blue suit of the Don, rituals and strange beliefs abound. (Alioski shaking the tunnel)

Suddenly, it's not about skill or strategy; it's about appeasing the gods of luck and fortune. (White heather from a gypsy, lucky rabbit's foot)

Who needs a fit team with a defined strategy and game plan when you have lucky socks, lucky scarf, drinking as many pints as you want the team to score goals, might not always work but it can give you a hell of a buzz, or have a dream that you hope will come true?

Just don't forget to knock on wood and avoid stepping on cracks; wear anything purple or sit in a seat with the number 17 (did Cellino really have those removed)... you never know what could tip the scales in favor of victory... and if you win you can boast about the omen that you had that assured you of the win.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The Upper Hand was an 80’s sit-com which centred around an ex Spurs footballer….
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Did we get the DVD or splash out on the blue ray?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BlancdeBlanc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by BlancdeBlanc »

Please, please no penalties, I couldn’t bear it, think I would rather lose! Come on Leeds, finish it in the 90, think of our hearts.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I thought we could have turned the screw a little more in the last 15mins as it looked like Norwich had run out of ideas and we were in complete control. It was also encouraging that they are good at set pieces and yet you wouldn't have guessed it. 0-0 perfect really because nothing to protect just get out there and win the game.

I agree sings and roundabouts with VAR.

Mixed reporting on the incident with the sensationalist tabloids going with the slashing and Sky sports reporting a punch with objects thrown. Either way name them and shame them.