Cricket 2024

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Cricket 2023/2024

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:06 pm I always loved Scarborough. My mum's parents retired there. They bought me a Scarborough season ticket for several years. My dad's parents used to vacation there every year. A couple of times they got a B&B right behind the cricket ground so I could sit and watch from the balcony. So I'd pretty much spend two vacations there every year between ages 8 and 16. And of course, I spent a great deal of time kicking around Scarborough on my own - the arcades, the water park, Peasholm Park. It really is one of my favourite places on earth.
I know the properties that overlook the cricket ground.

Sadly, Scarborough has deteriorated over the years, we were in the town centre shopping a few weeks ago, many shop windows boarded up, the town appears unclean & is a bit of a dump to be honest. It also has a major drugs/drink problem, so attracts lots of undesirables there.

We were in Southwold not long ago & heading to St Ives, Cornwall in five weeks time, there is no comparison, beautiful seaside towns with so much character.
Anderson
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: Cricket 2024

Post by Anderson »

Yorkshire beat by 22runs
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Anderson wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:48 pm Yorkshire beat by 22runs
Just knew Yorks would blow it.

Winless in six matches.

Another dour season in the second-tier of English cricket.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:39 pm Just knew Yorks would blow it.

Winless in six matches.

Another dour season in the second-tier of English cricket.
It's hard to take much interest in county cricket any more. Look at that last match. No: Bairstow, Brook, Malan, Rashid, Fisher.

County cricket has become sub standard. You've seen greater Yorkshire teams than I have, But in my childhood it used to be so much better too. International players would jump in their car after a test match wrapped up to go play for their counties. Even the opposition players. I used to get excited playing Essex, because I knew I'd see Gooch or Somerset because I knew I'd see Botham. You just don't get that in the county game any more. Even the internationals. The best West Indies players came back and played for the same counties year after year. Now the best ones are all off playing IPL and only coming to England on short contracts.

I glance at the Yorkshire scorecards out of affection. But the results have become totally meaningless.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:17 am I know the properties that overlook the cricket ground.

Sadly, Scarborough has deteriorated over the years, we were in the town centre shopping a few weeks ago, many shop windows boarded up, the town appears unclean & is a bit of a dump to be honest. It also has a major drugs/drink problem, so attracts lots of undesirables there.

We were in Southwold not long ago & heading to St Ives, Cornwall in five weeks time, there is no comparison, beautiful seaside towns with so much character.
Well sad. Sounds very much like Doncaster when I was back there for the first time in 17 years. I still see my friends posting photos of Scarborough. My guess then is that you're referring more to the town center areas and that the beach front still looks nice?
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Truly pathetic from Yorkshire that. The loss of 3 wickets for 4 runs?

Gibson needs to go asap as we're regressing further, if that's even possible. There's something deeply wrong with the club from top down.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Overman wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:43 pm Truly pathetic from Yorkshire that. The loss of 3 wickets for 4 runs?

Gibson needs to go asap as we're regressing further, if that's even possible. There's something deeply wrong with the club from top down.
YCCC are in a right mess.

Who'd have thought our county club would come to this many moons ago, or even when we won consecutive championships ten years ago.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Good win away for us, after being 44-5 chasing 170 ish. Sounds like a great innings from Fuller 77 from 97 balls for our very fast pace bowler
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Division One

Wins for : Essex, Hampshire, Somerset & Lancashire.

Screenshot 2024-05-21 12.48.52.png

Division Two

Wins for : Middlesex & Sussex.

Screenshot 2024-05-21 12.56.24.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Yorkshire chairman Colin Graves has said the club must become a private structure in order to survive.

Graves returned to the county at the start of the year with the club in a challenging financial position.

In a statement on the club website,, external he outlined that Yorkshire lost £2.7m last year and that their total losses now exceed £9m.

However, Leeds North MP Alex Sobel has said he will oppose Graves' plan.

"Unfortunately, there is no doubt that without swift and decisive action, YCCC [Yorkshire County Cricket Club] will be fighting for its survival during 2024," Graves said in the statement.

"A demutualisation – thereby converting the club to a private structure, which unlocks potential private investment – appears at this point essential for the club’s future.

"My firm intention is that members’ current rights are protected and that a demutualisation would represent no change to their current interaction with YCCC.

"The club would be better structured to be self-sustaining, still in existence and to capture maximum value for YCCC from any processes such as The Hundred.

"Other county clubs, including Hampshire and Northamptonshire, have successfully demutualised and are realising the benefits of this structure."

However, Sobel said that when Graves came before a select committee in September 2023 he said he had no plans to demutualise the club.

"Yorkshire Cricket belongs to the members of the club and their ownership of the historic Yorkshire Cricket Club is at the heart of our county," said Sobel.

"I will oppose Mr Graves' attempt to take the club from members and make it a private entity as it will be done for profit and to weaken accountability and long-term viability."

Sobel added: "Yorkshire members have been made many false promises over the last few months. I ask them to hold their nerve and oppose demutualisation until at least after the awarding of The Hundred's franchise."

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chief executive Richard Gould said they were "starting to pursue" private investment in The Hundred teams last month.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:58 pm Yorkshire chairman Colin Graves has said the club must become a private structure in order to survive.

Graves returned to the county at the start of the year with the club in a challenging financial position.

In a statement on the club website,, external he outlined that Yorkshire lost £2.7m last year and that their total losses now exceed £9m.

However, Leeds North MP Alex Sobel has said he will oppose Graves' plan.

"Unfortunately, there is no doubt that without swift and decisive action, YCCC [Yorkshire County Cricket Club] will be fighting for its survival during 2024," Graves said in the statement.

"A demutualisation – thereby converting the club to a private structure, which unlocks potential private investment – appears at this point essential for the club’s future.

"My firm intention is that members’ current rights are protected and that a demutualisation would represent no change to their current interaction with YCCC.

"The club would be better structured to be self-sustaining, still in existence and to capture maximum value for YCCC from any processes such as The Hundred.

"Other county clubs, including Hampshire and Northamptonshire, have successfully demutualised and are realising the benefits of this structure."

However, Sobel said that when Graves came before a select committee in September 2023 he said he had no plans to demutualise the club.

"Yorkshire Cricket belongs to the members of the club and their ownership of the historic Yorkshire Cricket Club is at the heart of our county," said Sobel.

"I will oppose Mr Graves' attempt to take the club from members and make it a private entity as it will be done for profit and to weaken accountability and long-term viability."

Sobel added: "Yorkshire members have been made many false promises over the last few months. I ask them to hold their nerve and oppose demutualisation until at least after the awarding of The Hundred's franchise."

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chief executive Richard Gould said they were "starting to pursue" private investment in The Hundred teams last month.
It's abysmal that YCCC is losing money. We're the biggest county by far. As 3 counties (west, north, south) we're the 4th, 10th, and 15th largest counties. Add the East Riding and even a bit of Lincoln. We've always had a hugely proud and patriotic support (is that still the case?). We should be the envy of every other county.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

County Championship matches commencing today

Screenshot 2024-05-24 10.29.11.png
Screenshot 2024-05-24 10.29.51.png
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not bloody Surrey again
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:58 am Not bloody Surrey again
Surrey at the crease.

15 for 0
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Surrey - 67 for 2
Sibley & Pope out

Yorks - 69 for 0
Lyth in good nick on 41
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We have 3 Surrey batsmen down on what has been a batsmans paradise this season ... good morning for us as they elected to bat

Dawson all three, and we have Burns back in the hutch
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Neser gets his first Hants wicket, last ball before lunch .. 89-4
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:06 pm I always loved Scarborough. My mum's parents retired there. They bought me a Scarborough season ticket for several years. My dad's parents used to vacation there every year. A couple of times they got a B&B right behind the cricket ground so I could sit and watch from the balcony. So I'd pretty much spend two vacations there every year between ages 8 and 16. And of course, I spent a great deal of time kicking around Scarborough on my own - the arcades, the water park, Peasholm Park. It really is one of my favourite places on earth.
Same here Andrew. I love Scarborough. I also went on hols there with my cousin, aunt and uncle from age 8 - 16. We stayed near the cricket ground as well. A little lower down, in a flat above a little gift shop on the corner of Victoria Park Road? Used to love it. Canoes on peasholm with the little battleships, fish and chips, harbour bar, etc etc. Great times.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

99-5 Surrey now, going well. At least till we bat as that is not our strength this season, especially when Prest doesn't play as he hasn't the last couple IIRC

edit: Yes Prest has fractured his shoulder apparently.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

whiteswan wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:39 pm Same here Andrew. I love Scarborough. I also went on hols there with my cousin, aunt and uncle from age 8 - 16. We stayed near the cricket ground as well. A little lower down, in a flat above a little gift shop on the corner of Victoria Park Road? Used to love it. Canoes on peasholm with the little battleships, fish and chips, harbour bar, etc etc. Great times.
I always said I'd retire there. Unlikely now I'm in the States. But it could still happen.