The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Saturday 25th May) - Do you have any Leeds United rituals ahead of this weekend's big game?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Saturday 25th May) - Do you have any Leeds United rituals ahead of this weekend's big game?

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Good Morning. It's Saturday 25th May, and here is today’s Breakfast Debate…

Leeds United have always felt like a superstitious club to me. It harks back to the time of Don Revie. Leeds United’s longest serving, and most successful manager was a deeply superstitions man. Revie summoned a gypsy from Scarborough to Elland Road. Her job was to exorcise whatever curse might be hanging over the ground bringing his team bad luck in crucial matches. Did it work? Leeds would lose FA Cup semi-finals in the next two seasons and finish fourth in the League. They did win the League Cup in 1968 and their first league came in 1969, so perhaps the gypsy had done some good after all.

In September 1970 Leeds wore an orange kit for the first and only time. After a disappointing 2-0 loss away to Stoke City, Revie is said to have insisted on burning the strip after the game. It wasn’t the only time he took issue with Leeds United’s kit. The team had worn owls on their crest ever since the clubs inception in 1919, but to Revie birds were bad luck. In 1971 the owl was finally ditched in favour of the LUFC script, yet another attempt to stave off the bad luck.

In more recent years Massimo Celino famously thought the colour purple and the number 7 were bad luck, something the fans would later goad him with. Celino even repeated Revie’s curse ridding attempts by inviting Monsignor Philip Moger of St Anne's Cathedral in Leeds to bless the pitch and dressing room with holy water. In our interview with Mark Viduka earlier this week, we asked him if any of the 2000-2004 team had any superstitions before the game.

“I don't know about other players, but I had something. I wasn't really a superstition, but it was something that I liked. Maybe it was a superstition, I always used to put one shin pad on before the other for some reason. I don't know why, I just I just did it. I don't think it was a superstition. It I think it was more of a routine I would say, that you go into and I've done that since I was really young.”

But it’s not just players and managers that have their traditions and superstitions, the fans do too. Be it a lucky pair of socks, a pre-game routine or taking the same route to Elland Road every week, plenty of fans have their little ways that if not followed could, in their minds, affect the outcome of a match. With this weekends big game ahead of us, are there any superstitions or traditions you’ll be making sure you stick to ahead of 3pm on Saturday to make sure we come away from Wembley victorious?
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Saturday 25th May) - Do you have any Leeds United rituals ahead of this weekend's big g

Post by Kennyb41 »

Blame me, this ALL ties in to when i became a fan.

And i'm not joking there.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Saturday 25th May) - Do you have any Leeds United rituals ahead of this weekend's big g

Post by White Riot »

Last Friday, before the match against Norwich, I fished my old blue and yellow Strongbow shirt out of the back of the cupboard and wore it for the match.

So I'll be doing the same tomorrow 8-)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

That's a weird one for me with Viduka, I never used to wear shin pads coz i felt i didn't have as good a game when i did (superstitious, i suppose) I remember a PE teacher telling me to go into a challenge full bloodied 100% committed, or you'll come off worse and get injured, so i always did and hardly ever got injured, so i didn't wear them all thru my playing career, until....

I dusted my boots off for a local pub team after not playing for abart 8 years, pads had in that time become compulsory.

I broke my leg in 3 places, unlucky twat.

I don't believe in luck btw, apart from - It's feckin everywhere, and i wish i could bottle it.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Horse Racing Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Saturday 25th May) - Do you have any Leeds United rituals ahead of this weekend's big g

Post by Sean_Nile »

Superstitions and rituals have long been integral to human societies, serving as mechanisms to explain the unknown and to manage the perceived forces of good and evil.

Black cats, knock on wood, don't walk under a ladder, salt over the shoulder, broken mirror, lucky horse shoe, all these things are passed on from generation to generation and we believe them though we don't know their origin.

As Stevie Wonder said " When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer... very Superstitious."

Superstitions, often passed down through generations, are beliefs that certain actions, events, or objects can bring good luck or misfortune.

Rituals, on the other hand, are structured, repetitive actions performed in specific contexts to invoke positive outcomes or ward off negative ones. Together, these practices reveal a deep-seated human desire to exert control over uncertain circumstances and ensure safety and prosperity... or in the case of football that your team will win.

5001 Leeds fans wear their lucky shirt and 5000 Southampton fans wear theirs... and our fans think we won because I wore MY lucky shirt, and the Southampton fan thinks how could we loose when I'm wearing my lucky shirt.

Could be the mojo is influenced by mathematics... we'll just never know, but I suspect that skill and tactics will have more influence on the game than wearing a pair of lucky socks that you have never washed🤭😜🤪

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

As a club, we should have burned several shirts over the years.

These are three shirts I wouldn't be seen dead in.

2013/14 - The club struggled to give this shirt away at the end of the season.

Screenshot 2024-05-25 08.13.37.png

2022/23 - A horrible mess, that doesn't do our large built fans any favours

Screenshot 2024-05-25 08.17.18.png

2023/24 - A insipid, tasteless, sickly shirt

Screenshot 2024-05-25 08.19.14.png
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

One thing i do know categorically, 100%, cast iron guarantee is that.......

Whoever it's with tomorrow will win, unless there's none for either, then the luckiest team on the day will win.

Work that out.

Also, now i won't be doing any of this 'wearing of dirty socks, kissin the Blarney, 4 leaf clover, eating a rabbits foot, salt tossin' or owt of the sort, because if i do, him upstairs will say 'fck off with all that shite, i'll decide this when i'm good n ready'

And if i don't do all that and we lose, he, and I, will say 'you should've worn them socks you twat, it's ALL your fault'

You wouldn't believe how much i'm battling with not watching the game live atm, because every single time i really really really really want to win at summert, I lose, and i've had more luck totally forgetting about it, and find the result out later.

But that only works if it's a genuine forgot, coz him upstairs will say - ' I see what you're trying to do there, craic on like you've forgot huh, well you can fck off, i'm gonna fck you anyway coz i've sussed ya'

Aye, i'm not superstitious :roll:

Twat, no matter what i do, it won't be right, somehow.

And please don't join the thousands of Quacks that've said - 'Positive mental attitude mate, that's what it's all abart'

Go n fck yourself, coz if i'm positive abart owt, it's a cast iron ' The feckin sky is fallin in'
Last edited by Kennyb41 on Sat May 25, 2024 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

;@)
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

1964white wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:31 am 2023/24 - A insipid, tasteless, sickly shirt

At least we won in that! I like the blue shirt but we've never won in it.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've sacrificed a chicken ......
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:31 am As a club, we should have burned several shirts over the years.

These are three of shirts I wouldn't be seen dead in

2013/14 - The club struggled to give this shirt away at the end of the season.

Screenshot 2024-05-25 08.13.37.png

Screenshot 2024-05-25 08.17.18.png

2023/24 - A insipid, tasteless, sickly shirt

Horrible all of them Leon :sick:

You wonder which dummy thought that those designs looked great :duno: :?

I seem to remember Billy Sharp and Ross McCormack playing in the top one? Could be wrong though?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Revie was extremely superstitious man

He disliked feathered birds & ornamental elephants. Apparently he changed our original nickname 'The Peacocks'

Revie, also used to walk up & down Beeston Hill, Leeds wearing his lucky suit & coat before a game.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'm personally not superstitious, though I do believe luck plays a big part in all walks of life.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:42 am Horrible all of them Leon :sick:

You wonder which dummy thought that those designs looked great :duno: :?

I seem to remember Billy Sharp and Ross McCormack playing in the top one? Could be wrong though?
They did James. :tup:

Unfortunately, these days we couldn't burn them, we are stuck with them due to sponsors contractual rights
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:38 am I've sacrificed a chicken ......
Did it taste good, and what spices did you use. if it tasted bad you know what the result will be.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:32 am At least we won in that! I like the blue shirt but we've never won in it.
The blue shirt was nice, though too much like Chelsea/Everton tops imo!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:49 am Did it taste good, and what spices did you use. if it tasted bad you know what the result will be.
Delicious
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:55 am Delicious
A good omen then since you got a win/win.
But I would also be interested to know if any one has got the short trots from curry and lager last night. That would be an omen too.
Last edited by Sean_Nile on Sat May 25, 2024 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

1964white wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:31 am As a club, we should have burned several shirts over the years.

I have one of those actually. My "Dirty Leeds" shirt :lol:
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:46 am I'm personally not superstitious, though I do believe luck plays a big part in all walks of life.
I'm not superstitious either, happily walk under ladders, broken hundreds of mirrors just throwing them in skips ... I do believe in luck though and some people/teams etc get more than their fair share. I'm with the Don on that
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

What happens to a superstition when you lose?

Surely that negates it?