Leeds United v Southampton - Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds United v Southampton - Match Thread

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:47 am So Weasel what dya reckon ? How should he go abart this ?

I reckon we'll know from the very first minute myself.

The 3-0 first half maulin they gave us should've taught him all he needs to know, and to not fck about too deep bringing it out.

What do you think will and won't work v Soton ?
We go out to play the same way we have played most games this season. The 2 matches against Southampton have no real bearing. First match and we had a totally difference line-up. I reckon only 6 starters from that game will start tomorrow and 1 of those will be in a different position (Ampadu). Second match was a dead rubber where we played bereft of confidence.

We don't need to go all out, swarming at them etc, but if we do we can get success. If we sit back an invite Southampton to come at us we can hit them on the counter. If we play to our best and Southampton do as well then it boils down to the big game players. We need Rutter, Summerville and Gnonto to be firing on all cylinders. Rutter looked back to his best v Norwich and his goal should give him his mojo back, if he rises to the occasion he could be the matchwinner. Summerville was great v Norwich, the most unselfish I have seen him play, more of that please and maybe a trademark curler too. Gnonto was lively v Norwich but his finishing wasn't it's usual self. If he plays as well as he did but had his shooting boots on then he can be the matchwinner. Piroe is important but perhaps less so as the other 3 are more of a creative force but Piroe can be a matchwinner too. If 3 of those 4 play well then we have a great chance because it then just needs the midfield, defence and keeper to play steady rather than spectacular.

For me it boils down to whether we take our chances, or enough of them. Same as most matches this season if we miss chances then any team can do what Blackburn did to us. We also need to do our best not to go behind as in both matches v Southampton we conceded early which then played into their game plan.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Ali :love:

But sorry absolutely don't need to see Paris Hilton, cringe.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Can't ever have too much inspiration :celeb:

Source: https://x.com/LUFC/status/1794360740960145870
Last edited by AcrossThePondAsh on Sat May 25, 2024 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Farke we trust...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:10 pm

Was there also a message from Beverley Travelodge?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:08 pm Was there also a message from Beverley Travelodge?
No but we do have another double barrelled supporter.

Paula Premier-Inn.

Paris is seemingly very keen
Signed

King Cjay

andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:10 pm

Paris Hilton was a strange one. Is she an investor?
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

weasel wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:59 pm We go out to play the same way we have played most games this season. The 2 matches against Southampton have no real bearing. First match and we had a totally difference line-up. I reckon only 6 starters from that game will start tomorrow and 1 of those will be in a different position (Ampadu). Second match was a dead rubber where we played bereft of confidence.

We don't need to go all out, swarming at them etc, but if we do we can get success. If we sit back an invite Southampton to come at us we can hit them on the counter. If we play to our best and Southampton do as well then it boils down to the big game players. We need Rutter, Summerville and Gnonto to be firing on all cylinders. Rutter looked back to his best v Norwich and his goal should give him his mojo back, if he rises to the occasion he could be the matchwinner. Summerville was great v Norwich, the most unselfish I have seen him play, more of that please and maybe a trademark curler too. Gnonto was lively v Norwich but his finishing wasn't it's usual self. If he plays as well as he did but had his shooting boots on then he can be the matchwinner. Piroe is important but perhaps less so as the other 3 are more of a creative force but Piroe can be a matchwinner too. If 3 of those 4 play well then we have a great chance because it then just needs the midfield, defence and keeper to play steady rather than spectacular.

For me it boils down to whether we take our chances, or enough of them. Same as most matches this season if we miss chances then any team can do what Blackburn did to us. We also need to do our best not to go behind as in both matches v Southampton we conceded early which then played into their game plan.
Think it definitely has to be selective pressing from us. I think it's also about being compact and patient and hitting them on the break, which they are obviously not the best at handling--their rest defense is definitely suspect--look no further than their place at 14th in the league for goals conceded.

Also, in all of their loses against Ipswich and Leicester, Saints had more of the ball:

Leicester 34% v. 66% Saints: 5-0
Ipswich 35% v. 65% Saints: 3-2
Saints 59% v. 41% Ipswich: 0-1
Saints 55% v. 45% Leicester: 1-4

The lads, and fans, just need to hold their nerve. It's going to be a match about big chances for us. Saints are the top in of the league in possession, but are also 10th in terms of expected goals against/allowed (xGA) at 38.65. So they should have only given up 38-39 goals, but in actuality gave up 54 from open play.
In Farke we trust...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:22 pm Paris Hilton was a strange one. Is she an investor?
Must be I suppose or maybe her husband who has his own Venture Capital fund?

Step far for me, not keen on this vc ownership concept anyway.

But atleast Russell Crowe is a genuine fan and Will Ferrell is a football fan.

I doubt Paris even knows where Leeds is.

Hope they don't lean into her fame again, nothing against her but no more please :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:59 pm We go out to play the same way we have played most games this season. The 2 matches against Southampton have no real bearing. First match and we had a totally difference line-up. I reckon only 6 starters from that game will start tomorrow and 1 of those will be in a different position (Ampadu). Second match was a dead rubber where we played bereft of confidence.

I feel a lot is riding on what type of game Piroe has, and that he could be the deciding factor with good game.

There's good battles all over the park.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:18 pm I feel a lot is riding on what type of game Piroe has, and that he could be the deciding factor with good game.

There's good battles all over the park.
Agreed. Piroe and Rutter sitting a bit deeper and effectively marking their mids when we don't have the ball could be key to slowing their roll through the middle.
In Farke we trust...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:07 am 1 more sleep
Couldn't sleep.

I wonder why?

Hopefully I can have a nap on the coach on our way back home this evening.
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:52 am Couldn't sleep.

I wonder why?

Hopefully I can have a nap on the coach on our way back home this evening.
Hair getting in the way?? ;-) :)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

0 more sleeps.

Setting off to Wembley shortly, have a great day wherever you are watching 👍
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Win or lose today, it’s been an incredible season when you consider where we were as a club last summer.
Everybody have a good day, wherever you watch the game. Hopefully we get that promotion, not the end of the world if we don’t, we go again next year whichever division we are in.
Come on Leeds!
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:42 pm
Also, in all of their loses against Ipswich and Leicester, Saints had more of the ball:

Leicester 34% v. 66% Saints: 5-0
Ipswich 35% v. 65% Saints: 3-2
Saints 59% v. 41% Ipswich: 0-1
Saints 55% v. 45% Leicester: 1-4
Should we learn our lesson from Manure. They set up to thwart the best possession play club that won the premiership.

They won by hitting them on the break, and we have the speed and the pace to do that.

It is not our style but parking the bus may be the way to win... it won't be attractive but who cares if we get a break away win.

In that 5-0 drubbing the goals a hat trick came from the winger and there was a break away goal down the middle with Vardy leading the charge.
SaintWill70
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by SaintWill70 »

Need to know time you lovely bunch.

s**t or bust now, men from boys etc. All previous results and performances are completely irrelevant.

Find time to respect the losing team and travelling supporters, it means a lot to both sets whomever that may be. There's real lives and livelihoods on the line today don't forget that.

Enjoy yourselves, may the best team win (which is us if course lol) and most importantly stay safe and healthy ;)

Oh and remember, whatever the outcome, it's only a game :lol:

UTS
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Nervous like never before now
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Absolutely rammed with Leeds at Watford Gap
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:49 am 0 more sleeps.

Setting off to Wembley shortly, have a great day wherever you are watching 👍
Or this could be the start of 365 sleeps pal.

Best of British :tup:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:40 am Should we learn our lesson from Manure. They set up to thwart the best possession play club that won the premiership.

They won by hitting them on the break, and we have the speed and the pace to do that.

It is not our style but parking the bus may be the way to win... it won't be attractive but who cares if we get a break away win.

In that 5-0 drubbing the goals a hat trick came from the winger and there was a break away goal down the middle with Vardy leading the charge.
I'm very scared if Soton do this.

;@)