Should he stay or should he go?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Should he stay or should he go?

Yes, needs to go
20%
No, great season considering the issues
67%
Not bothered either way
13%

Total votes: 70

BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Re: Should he stay or should he go?

Post by BradWhite »

We can't have another headless start to the season which hindered our auto promotion as did a slump towards the end.

I guess players will have to be sold and loans returned so best we crack on with it over the recess with DF.

Farke should stay and rebuild, my problem with him is his over reliance on Bamford when Joseph earned his chance against Chelsea, he was dumped on the bench for pretty much all the season, although I'm not anti Bamford he has played well in some games but just too injury prone and his goal tally is inconsistent, would he have made a difference yesterday if fit?

Also the subs have come on too far into a game to change it, had Joseph and James got on earlier I believe we could have won that play off final.

I think it is safer to keep Farke, we have had some pretty crap managers in the past but we do have better owners and auto promotion is crucial or we'll not get out of this league.

The big question is who goes and who we bring in but that's for another thread.

Farke racked up 90 points which is usually enough to win promotion.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

We still have quite a mess to muddle through.

I don't trust Kinnear to do it, and i don't trust the 49ers to know what players we need and don't need to win a Championship.

DF shows quite a lot of common sense in dealing with players incoming and outgoing.

How many Premiership quality players do folk seriously think we have huh ?

Where were the world beaters yesterday ?

At best, they are ordinary.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Also, DF has now had a full year to work through the players he feels he can and can't use, out of all our recent managers, not a single one has seen anything in CC that makes them want to start him, bar the Millwall manager.

DF will know now who to let go and who to keep, and he will be fully up to date with the players out on loan, and fully up to date with the internal runnings of LUFC.

Personally i think - Byram, Cooper, Shackleton, Bamford, Cresswell, Joffy, along with some others, will be moved on.

Lord only knows what will happen to the loanees, who's gonna handle all this huh ? Orta ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

whiteinfrance wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:21 am I think also that Farke gets too much credit for improving some players like Gnonto, Summerville and James.

I think their perceived improvement is largely due to dropping down a division.
And they were quality to start with..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BradWhite wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:36 am We can't have another headless start to the season which hindered our auto promotion as did a slump towards the end.

I guess players will have to be sold and loans returned so best we crack on with it over the recess with DF.

Farke should stay and rebuild, my problem with him is his over reliance on Bamford when Joseph earned his chance against Chelsea, he was dumped on the bench for pretty much all the season, although I'm not anti Bamford he has played well in some games but just too injury prone and his goal tally is inconsistent, would he have made a difference yesterday if fit?

Also the subs have come on too far into a game to change it, had Joseph and James got on earlier I believe we could have won that play off final.

I think it is safer to keep Farke, we have had some pretty crap managers in the past but we do have better owners and auto promotion is crucial or we'll not get out of this league.

I think we'd be closer to 100 points had Joseph started more games. It's no coincidence that if you don't play with a striker you'll struggle in a lot of games. You can have al the fancy tools in your toolbox but if you don't have a hammer the job doesn't get done or gets done badly... We've been using the end of a screwdriver for a while.
Last edited by The Subhuman on Mon May 27, 2024 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Pray Jimmy goes to Lpool or Chelsea and we get silly money for him, because that's what it will be.

And you heard it here first - He'll do fck all at either of them, arse full of splinters. Gnonto too.

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

BradWhite wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:36 am We can't have another headless start to the season which hindered our auto promotion as did a slump towards the end.

Our fans forget, Farke inherited problems from the off with no owners, players strikes, a limited time window to make signings, missed out on some players he was keen to sign, all these irritations hindered our preparation for our pre-season build-up.

Meresca, Martin & Mckenna had no such problems.

Our initial line-ups of the 2023/24 season included the likes of Ayling, Cooper, Shackleton, Poveda, Gelhardt, Hjelde, Cresswell :shock:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:24 am I think we'd be closer to 100 points had Joseph started more games. It's no coincidence that if you don't play with a striker you'll struggle in a lot of games. You can have al the fancy tools in your toolbox but if you don't have a hammer the job doesn't get done or gets done badly... We've been using the end of a screwdriver for a while.
Joseph came on yesterday, made a good run into the box & then screwed up with a simple pass, which went straight to a Southampton defender.
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:24 am I think we'd be closer to 100 points had Joseph started more games. It's no coincidence that if you don't play with a striker you'll struggle in a lot of games. You can have al the fancy tools in your toolbox but if you don't have a hammer the job doesn't get done or gets done badly... We've been using the end of a screwdriver for a while.
Yeah he needs to be played more, I think he's a diamond in the rough ready to take over.
The thing with Joseph is that he doesn't show any fear, he has youth on his side but Bamford is always first on the team sheet as he is deemed more experienced.

It's going to be difficult this season ahead the FFP which could seriously limit our options, players will have to be sold.

We also have returns from those that bailed out all on high wages and we won't be able to sell on for profit because they have under performed on loan. I'm not sure they will be welcomed back by the fans.

Let's see what the 49ers do.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:27 am Pray Jimmy goes to Lpool or Chelsea and we get silly money for him, because that's what it will be.

And you heard it here first - He'll do fck all at either of them, arse full of splinters. Gnonto too.
49's will have a price on Summerville's head & I suspect will take nothing less.

I think Cree will do OK in the PL, but he'll find playing in the PL again will be much more difficult at that level.

As for Gnonto, Willy will find it tough.
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

1964white wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:50 am Joseph came on yesterday, made a good run into the box & then screwed up with a simple pass, which went straight to a Southampton defender.
Maybe that comes down to lack of games being sat on the bench all season and putting him on in the biggest game in English footy.
He needs more games that is for sure.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

BradWhite wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:57 am Maybe that comes down to lack of games being sat on the bench all season and putting him on in the biggest game in English footy.
He needs more games that is for sure.
Yes, Joseph does need more game-time, which I suspect he shall get next season.

Farke must see something in training that concerns him.

I get the impression, he seems to rush things, lacks composure & a bit impetuous. Mateo is young, exciting & still learning his trade & we certainly haven't seen enough of him to judge his future progress.
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Amazing first season with a net return of runners up! Farkes slow, slow, quick, quick, slow safety first system relied at times on moments of individual brilliance bailing Leeds out, but then crashed against battling teams needing points for survival. At Wembley he deployed the short passing slow, slow approach building patiently for the forward quick, quick that never came. Instead we went backwards into defence and slow, slow.

The second half should have seen Gnonto replaced by James and Ampadu into midfield with Piroe replaced by Joseph and a 2 man attack. Farke needs to understand the meaning of everything but the kitchen sink.
Why sub Jimmy? He's been the player of the season. It's sending the message of throwing the towel in early. Rather than swapping him change his playing style to launching early crosses from the left to the front two with James joining from the left.

I was expecting something different at half time, but no nothing changed. In these one off finals one needs an unexpected plan B to outsmart the opposition manager, a Wiley fox like approach something totally unexpected, something different, exciting for the fans to cheer for 45 mins as crosses are rained into the two strikers from both wings stretching that Saints defence.

Why didn't the second half begin with a 4/4/2? United needed a goal and Farkes system didn't look like producing one until James came on and struck the crossbar in what was the first and last chance of scoring.

I don't want anymore of Farkes timid tactics of boring short passing and keep ball. It's worked against the lesser, but failed against the greater, delivered for long periods then crumbled at crucial moments. As seen yesterday he isn't that Wiley Fox manager Leeds United need to escape the Championship. At best he nearly made it, but ultimately his tactics, approach and substitutions delivered a losers medal without a goal. Thanks, but no thanks
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DavidH »

Hoping Farke does stay for all the positive reasons mentioned above. However, has it occurred to anyone that Kieran Mkenna is being courted by several Premiership clubs and if he does go, there's a ready made opportunity for Farke to step back into the top flight with Ipswich? I know that's controversial with the rancour between Ipswich and Farke's Norwich years, but he does have Premiership experience and which other Premiership quality manager would want to take a chance on a club that may be relegated at the close of the new season?
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

DavidH wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:56 pm Hoping Farke does stay for all the positive reasons mentioned above. However, has it occurred to anyone that Kieran Mkenna is being courted by several Premiership clubs and if he does go, there's a ready made opportunity for Farke to step back into the top flight with Ipswich? I know that's controversial with the rancour between Ipswich and Farke's Norwich years, but he does have Premiership experience and which other Premiership quality manager would want to take a chance on a club that may be relegated at the close of the new season?
I’d be surprised if Ipswich went for Farke, particularly, as you say, with the rivalry between Ipswich and Norwich.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:19 am Your opinion of course but you have a low opinion of every manager who comes through the door, finding fault with them in the knowledge that one day they will fall short and then you can satisfy yourself that your viewpoint is the right one.

Every manager has failings,even the best ones.
I talked up Gracia, even Big Sam and TC.

I've actually only taken an instant dislike to 3.

Farke, Hecky and Marsch.

Never tried to hide that.

Certain managers imo you knew would never work out and nothing wrong with saying that if that is your view.

Every manager has failings absolutely but those 3 in my opinion were the ones most likely to fail for various reasons.

Not about being right or patting myself on the back (all Leeds fans). I just didn't rate Farke before he arrived as I had already said for the reasons I had said before.

Be much happier had been wrong on them.

But my opinion of him from his time at Norwich is the same as my opinion of him now.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Anyway I think at the very least you see whose interested.

The 49ers told Radz to get "the best manager you can".

Nothing about Championship experience just the best you can.

That is how we ended up with MB.

So they should do the same now.

They made Bielsa the highest paid manager in Championship history.

You look around the world offer the same and see who comes calling.

If outstanding candidates are interested bin Farke off.
Signed

King Cjay

Johnthewhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Johnthewhite »

Back him for another season.
As for our squad of world beaters, don't make me laugh, think DF has done well with what we have. Said it before and I will say it again, get what we can for Gnonto and move him on, petulant child
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:11 pm I talked up Gracia, even Big Sam and TC.
Why talk up those three :shock:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:10 pm Why talk up those three :shock:
Gracia because we were in a desperate situation and I could actually see the logic behind appointing him.

His style was similar to Marsch which I think mid season appointments have to be and Gracia actually had a decent cv. Couple of upper mid table finishes in La Liga, couple of promotions, an FA Cup final with Watford of all clubs and an 11th placed Premier league finish. We will never know what went wrong at Palace but on paper he was for our situation fairly decent.

Allardyce was tongue in cheek but we were absolutely desperate.

TC I liked TC, I liked his style of play (job too big for him) but I think he was solid for us when he was here. So I was part of his defence on here for ages.

I don't like managers who make endless excuses, Farke, Marsch and Hecky are cut from the same cloth in that respect.
Signed

King Cjay