Music Chat Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2911
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Liquid Groove today.
Scorpions fabulous live act 70's early 80s not seen them since.
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18315
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Musicman1965 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2024 11:00 am Looking back at Glastonbury 2024 the headline acts on the main Pyramid Stage were Dua Lipa - Coldplay and SZA.
With the bands out there the headliners are becoming more and more difficult to find. So who would you like to see playing the headlining slots in years to come. Its a tricky one when you think about it.....
Glastonbury has had some very poor 'headliner' acts in recent years imo.........to name but a few SZA, Stormzy, Kanye West, Mumford and Sons, Jay Z.

Now maybe that just reflects my musical taste but to me they are not festival 'headliner' acts. In 2023, I did think GnR would be good, but they did bomb a bit and were disappointing.

Of bands out there that should have played a headliner slot at Glasto top of the pile (again imo) are Iron Maiden. They are a colossal live band, but I seem to recall a good few years ago, Bruce Dickinson said they had no interest in playing there.

I'd like to see the Manics headline, although they must have played there some half a dozen or so times over the years....so never going to happen.

I also don't think it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you'd see Noel and Liam make up (for the ££££) for an Oasis headliner slot at Glasto, which would be a massive draw (although I know many on here can't stand them).

GET SABBATH TO REFORM FOR LAST HURRAH !!!!
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79056
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by The Subhuman »

Don't know the Scorpions very well, but they're the ones that did the god awful Winds of Change?
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18315
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Muppet the Cat »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:51 pm Don't know the Scorpions very well, but they're the ones that did the god awful Winds of Change?
You need to go back before then, faaip
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79056
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by The Subhuman »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:50 pm Glastonbury has had some very poor 'headliner' acts in recent years imo.........to name but a few SZA, Stormzy, Kanye West, Mumford and Sons, Jay Z.

Now maybe that just reflects my musical taste but to me they are not festival 'headliner' acts. In 2023, I did think GnR would be good, but they did bomb a bit and were disappointing.

Of bands out there that should have played a headliner slot at Glasto top of the pile (again imo) are Iron Maiden. They are a colossal live band, but I seem to recall a good few years ago, Bruce Dickinson said they had no interest in playing there.

I'd like to see the Manics headline, although they must have played there some half a dozen or so times over the years....so never going to happen.

I also don't think it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you'd see Noel and Liam make up (for the ££££) for an Oasis headliner slot at Glasto, which would be a massive draw (although I know many on here can't stand them).

GET SABBATH TO REFORM FOR LAST HURRAH !!!!
Don't think AC/DC have and I'd rather those than Maiden whom I've always struggled with. Tool and AC/DC are the two biggest bands for me that's haven't headlined
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79056
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by The Subhuman »

For those that like The Break My f**king Sky I'd highly recommend Plank, and maybe start with 2023's Future of the Sea before headed back to Hivemind
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18315
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Muppet the Cat »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:59 pm For those that like The Break My f**king Sky I'd highly recommend Plank, and maybe start with 2023's Future of the Sea before headed back to Hivemind
Since you put me on to BMFS I've notched a fair few listening hours.....so will givw Plank a go.

As for BMFS as a headliner, I don't see it....not for the music, but for the reason of a lack of crowd interaction.....you need a good few songs that a bouncing crowd can sing along with (think Pulp and Common People, one of the best ever (imo) Glasto highlights).
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79056
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by The Subhuman »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:35 pm Since you put me on to BMFS I've notched a fair few listening hours.....so will givw Plank a go.

As for BMFS as a headliner, I don't see it....not for the music, but for the reason of a lack of crowd interaction.....you need a good few songs that a bouncing crowd can sing along with (think Pulp and Common People, one of the best ever (imo) Glasto highlights).
Think I said undercard for BMFS ... and to be fair probably suited to the Other stage
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79056
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by The Subhuman »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:35 pm Since you put me on to BMFS I've notched a fair few listening hours.....so will givw Plank a go.

As for BMFS as a headliner, I don't see it....not for the music, but for the reason of a lack of crowd interaction.....you need a good few songs that a bouncing crowd can sing along with (think Pulp and Common People, one of the best ever (imo) Glasto highlights).
Plank are a touch more chill but instrumental with epic soundscapes
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18315
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Muppet the Cat »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:42 pm Think I said undercard for BMFS ... and to be fair probably suited to the Other stage
Fair play, sorry my mistake :tup:
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18315
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:35 pm Since you put me on to BMFS I've notched a fair few listening hours.....so will givw Plank a go.

As for BMFS as a headliner, I don't see it....not for the music, but for the reason of a lack of crowd interaction.....you need a good few songs that a bouncing crowd can sing along with (think Pulp and Common People, one of the best ever (imo) Glasto highlights).


Although their Reading 2011 version is even better, I think
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18315
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Muppet the Cat »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:00 pm Don't think AC/DC have and I'd rather those than Maiden whom I've always struggled with. Tool and AC/DC are the two biggest bands for me that's haven't headlined
AC/DC should have been a headliner, but their day has gone, Now, whilst Maiden may be past their commercial peak, at least they still retain the band members. Not going to happen, but I think they'd be great there.
User avatar
Musicman1965
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:11 pm

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Musicman1965 »

1964white wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:25 pm XTC have a strong back catalogue.

I enjoy White Music, Black Sea, Oranges & Lemons, Drums & Wires as well as English Settlement.

Underrated band imo!
I don't suppose you have a copy of the tv documentary XTC Play at Home? I lost my copy years ago and never found a replacement.
User avatar
Musicman1965
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:11 pm

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Musicman1965 »

Some good suggestions for new headliners at Glastonbury. Most are very old school rock bands like AC/DC and Maiden, we still have no knew candidates that would set the stage alight. The Scorpions are great and I am big fan of Klaus Maine but again old school rock band. The Gallagher brothers would probably be the best option so far, but Noel would never back down to reforming Oasis, he doesn't need the money.
Who has a few good albums under there belt that's not collecting their bus pass but would appeal to a wide audience? Eminem perhaps? Adele has headlined before and did and great job... How about Riverside or Pineapple Thief, are they big enough? If its popularity people want, it pains me to say it, but the Queen of Bubblegum pop is Taylor and her teenage fans that would pack out the Glastonbury fields.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155268
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by 1964white »

Musicman1965 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:02 am I don't suppose you have a copy of the tv documentary XTC Play at Home? I lost my copy years ago and never found a replacement.
Sadly not, Musicman.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155268
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by 1964white »

Musicman1965 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:25 am Some good suggestions for new headliners at Glastonbury. Most are very old school rock bands like AC/DC and Maiden, we still have no knew candidates that would set the stage alight. The Scorpions are great and I am big fan of Klaus Maine but again old school rock band. The Gallagher brothers would probably be the best option so far, but Noel would never back down to reforming Oasis, he doesn't need the money.
Who has a few good albums under there belt that's not collecting their bus pass but would appeal to a wide audience? Eminem perhaps? Adele has headlined before and did and great job... How about Riverside or Pineapple Thief, are they big enough? If its popularity people want, it pains me to say it, but the Queen of Bubblegum pop is Taylor and her teenage fans that would pack out the Glastonbury fields.
The Rolling Stones for me, still doing the business in style after over 60 years on the music scene.

Bigger named band too, then any of those mentioned so far!
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2911
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

1964white wrote: ↑Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:38 am The Rolling Stones for me, still doing the business in style after over 60 years on the music scene.

Bigger named band too, then any of those mentioned so far!
Saw the Stones early 90's really good to be honest. Think we're struggling though if a 60's outfit is still considered the thing to see.
Glastonbury is corporate cobblers to be honest...

Can't imagine the majority of decent rock bands would touch it unless the cash was right...
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18315
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:50 pm Glastonbury has had some very poor 'headliner' acts in recent years imo.........to name but a few SZA, Stormzy, Kanye West, Mumford and Sons, Jay Z.

Now maybe that just reflects my musical taste but to me they are not festival 'headliner' acts. In 2023, I did think GnR would be good, but they did bomb a bit and were disappointing.

Of bands out there that should have played a headliner slot at Glasto top of the pile (again imo) are Iron Maiden. They are a colossal live band, but I seem to recall a good few years ago, Bruce Dickinson said they had no interest in playing there.

I'd like to see the Manics headline, although they must have played there some half a dozen or so times over the years....so never going to happen.

I also don't think it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you'd see Noel and Liam make up (for the ££££) for an Oasis headliner slot at Glasto, which would be a massive draw (although I know many on here can't stand them).

GET SABBATH TO REFORM FOR LAST HURRAH !!!!
Musicman1965 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:25 am Some good suggestions for new headliners at Glastonbury. Most are very old school rock bands like AC/DC and Maiden, we still have no knew candidates that would set the stage alight. The Scorpions are great and I am big fan of Klaus Maine but again old school rock band. The Gallagher brothers would probably be the best option so far, but Noel would never back down to reforming Oasis, he doesn't need the money.
Who has a few good albums under there belt that's not collecting their bus pass but would appeal to a wide audience? Eminem perhaps? Adele has headlined before and did and great job... How about Riverside or Pineapple Thief, are they big enough? If its popularity people want, it pains me to say it, but the Queen of Bubblegum pop is Taylor and her teenage fans that would pack out the Glastonbury fields.
E347CFDB-932F-4E03-B3DA-53DCAB4CAA5E.jpeg

Ummmm !?!?!?! :duno:
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18315
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Muppet the Cat »

MtC 1 v 0 Musicman 😄
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155268
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:23 am MtC 1 v 0 Musicman 😄
I assume you'll be applying for tickets at one of the Cardiff gigs, Cat.
Post Reply