The Holiday thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155263
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Holiday thread

Post by 1964white »

GreennWhite wrote: ↑Thu Aug 08, 2024 3:35 pm Good pictures 64, looks like a lovely spot to be in :tup:
Peasholm Park, Scarborough, Greenn.

Lovely gardens & wildlife, then afterwards a 200 yards walk to the North Bay beach.

On the way back, we parked up in Sewerby & walked down to Bridlington.

We are very fortunate, living on the East side of Yorkshire.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155263
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Holiday thread

Post by 1964white »

Rook wrote: ↑Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:37 pm My next holiday will be to the local loony bin if this year gets any worse.
Is life not so good for you right now, Rook?
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Post A Photo You’ve Taken

Post by mentalcase »

Screenshot_20240817_010245_Gallery.jpg
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9738
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Post A Photo You’ve Taken

Post by CUSSIE01 »

mentalcase wrote: ↑Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:08 pm Screenshot_20240817_010245_Gallery.jpg
Give us a clue then ??
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Post A Photo You’ve Taken

Post by mentalcase »

Alicante
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9738
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Post A Photo You’ve Taken

Post by CUSSIE01 »

mentalcase wrote: ↑Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:50 amAlicante
Was there when Covid started and hadn’t been following the news, got to the airport and the place was mad as it was the last day of flights out before the airports closed. Nice enough spot but once was enough for me. Enjoy 🍻
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Post A Photo You’ve Taken

Post by mentalcase »

A few here for a last hooray for an old comrade.
We love the Spanish places more than where all the brits go, a couple of us can converse in Spanish which helps where we are.
Funny last night scum were on and nobody was watching it.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Post A Photo You’ve Taken

Post by mentalcase »

Screenshot_20240820_095734_Gallery.jpg
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9738
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Post A Photo You’ve Taken

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Could someone order me an Uber
Could someone order me an Uber
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9738
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Post A Photo You’ve Taken

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Porto, lovely city
Porto, lovely city
(Moved you over to the 'Holiday' thread, Cussie - MtC)
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Post A Photo You’ve Taken

Post by mentalcase »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:06 pm IMG_2353.jpeg
Thinking of going to Porto first week of October Cussie, any tips on the place.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9738
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Post A Photo You’ve Taken

Post by CUSSIE01 »

mentalcase wrote: ↑Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:51 pm Thinking of going to Porto first week of October Cussie, any tips on the place.
You’ll love it, on our 3rd of 6 days in Porto then off to Coimbra for 3 & back to the beach area for 3.. Very hilly so bring your walking boots but the wine, Port, beer & food are 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻. Doing a day trip up the Douro tomorrow with a vineyard wine tasting & lunch included.
I can PM you more details when I get home if you want ?
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
BradWhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
Location: General at Ivory Tower

Re: The Holiday thread

Post by BradWhite »

This is a great thread, I like reading about what you lot get up to.

Me and the Mrs are heading back to Spain this month, starting of in Malaga which I love for the art trail, then we're doing the Caminito del Rey trek which was originally built over a 100 years ago for the workers of El Chorro Hydroelectric plant, the path was reopened in 2015 as a scenic tourist trek.

I actually did it when it was called El Camino and was a very dangerous path, some trekkers lost their lives doing it and it was the most scariest things I ever did, you can YouTube what it is like now and what it was like before 2015, today it is very safe since they fixed it up and made it into a Unesco heritage tourist spot.

We then head on to Setenil de las Bodegas and Ronda and then on to the stunning Alhambra in Granada for a day or 2, from there we will head back down south to Estepona, Marbella and Puerto Banús and anywhere else we can fit in along the way and on to Gibraltar.

We want to cram as much into life while we can, I'll be 3 years off 60 this month and I want to semi retire at 60.

I did have the idea of retiring somewhere on the east coast of England or Cornwall but I fear that the UK is becoming more dangerous and expensive place to be and our minds are being turned on getting out to mainland Spain or Portugal.
Things may change but I'm not too convinced as we go from bad to worse with our political system.

Hope springs eternal.

The old path of El Camino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDhRvvs5Xw

The new path renamed Caminito Del Rey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbJ-t0vP3nM
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Post A Photo You’ve Taken

Post by mentalcase »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:30 pm You’ll love it, on our 3rd of 6 days in Porto then off to Coimbra for 3 & back to the beach area for 3.. Very hilly so bring your walking boots but the wine, Port, beer & food are 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻. Doing a day trip up the Douro tomorrow with a vineyard wine tasting & lunch included.
I can PM you more details when I get home if you want ?
Much apperciated :tup:
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: The Holiday thread

Post by mentalcase »

BradWhite wrote: ↑Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:09 pm This is a great thread, I like reading about what you lot get up to.

Me and the Mrs are heading back to Spain this month, starting of in Malaga which I love for the art trail, then we're doing the Caminito del Rey trek which was originally built over a 100 years ago for the workers of El Chorro Hydroelectric plant, the path was reopened in 2015 as a scenic tourist trek.

I actually did it when it was called El Camino and was a very dangerous path, some trekkers lost their lives doing it and it was the most scariest things I ever did, you can YouTube what it is like now and what it was like before 2015, today it is very safe since they fixed it up and made it into a Unesco heritage tourist spot.

We then head on to Setenil de las Bodegas and Ronda and then on to the stunning Alhambra in Granada for a day or 2, from there we will head back down south to Estepona, Marbella and Puerto Banús and anywhere else we can fit in along the way and on to Gibraltar.

We want to cram as much into life while we can, I'll be 3 years off 60 this month and I want to semi retire at 60.

I did have the idea of retiring somewhere on the east coast of England or Cornwall but I fear that the UK is becoming more dangerous and expensive place to be and our minds are being turned on getting out to mainland Spain or Portugal.
Things may change but I'm not too convinced as we go from bad to worse with our political system.

Hope springs eternal.

The old path of El Camino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDhRvvs5Xw

The new path renamed Caminito Del Rey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbJ-t0vP3nM
Bllody hell Brad, I did most of that back in t' day, ElCamino was proper dangerous as you say, not been since they made it safer though.
Go to the bull ring at Ronda, very good, the Mcdonalds next to one of the most famous arches in Spain spoils it a bit like but ignore that.
If it's busy getting into Gib, park up the car and simply walk across.
Love Malaga old town, just stunning.
Enjoy, I'm sure you will :tup:
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7503
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: The Holiday thread

Post by Orange Box »

I’ve been watching a few YouTube videos lately of couples buying old farms in Portugal and renovating them (the reason I’m interested is I’ve done the same in Scotland, similar type of buildings but the weathers not as good - in Scotland that is) . Never been to Portugal but it looks an interesting place. I’m tired of Spain so may try Portugal next.
User avatar
BradWhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
Location: General at Ivory Tower

Re: The Holiday thread

Post by BradWhite »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:39 pm I’ve been watching a few YouTube videos lately of couples buying old farms in Portugal and renovating them (the reason I’m interested is I’ve done the same in Scotland, similar type of buildings but the weathers not as good - in Scotland that is) . Never been to Portugal but it looks an interesting place. I’m tired of Spain so may try Portugal next.
Spain is absolutely massive lol, but yeah Portugal is well worth a visit.
Just be careful with property make sure you buy freehold and not leasehold, also make sure that there is no debt on the property because you'll end up with it if you buy it, different rules over there so a good lawyer is a must.
User avatar
BradWhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
Location: General at Ivory Tower

Re: The Holiday thread

Post by BradWhite »

mentalcase wrote: ↑Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:37 am Bllody hell Brad, I did most of that back in t' day, ElCamino was proper dangerous as you say, not been since they made it safer though.
Go to the bull ring at Ronda, very good, the Mcdonalds next to one of the most famous arches in Spain spoils it a bit like but ignore that.
If it's busy getting into Gib, park up the car and simply walk across.
Love Malaga old town, just stunning.
Enjoy, I'm sure you will

I'll deffo check out the bull ring in Ronda.

Thanks for the info mate,
:tup:
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9738
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: The Holiday thread

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Douro valley
Douro valley
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7503
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: The Holiday thread

Post by Orange Box »

BradWhite wrote: ↑Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:19 pm Spain is absolutely massive lol, but yeah Portugal is well worth a visit.
Just be careful with property make sure you buy freehold and not leasehold, also make sure that there is no debt on the property because you'll end up with it if you buy it, different rules over there so a good lawyer is a must.
Thanks for the advice but I’m not buying, I’m too old to start again, very happy with my place in Scot, I’m just interested in what others have done. My interest is in visiting. Thanks anyway … and don’t be giving me ideas!
Post Reply