Ilia Gruev

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
Gruev, Ilia #44 · 2023–
Gruev, Ilia
Bulgaria Gruev, Ilia
Midfielder · #44
b. 6th May 2000 (age 26)
86
Apps
26
this season
1
Goals
63
Starts
23
Sub Apps
Werder Bremen
Signed 31/08/2023
Werder Bremen (Permanent)
Last 6 Appearances
18 Apr 2026 · Premier League
3–0 W ↑ for Aaronson, Brenden
13 Apr 2026 · Premier League
2–1 W ↑ for Tanaka, Ao
5 Apr 2026 · FA Cup, Quarter Final
2–2 D ↑ for Tanaka, Ao
15 Mar 2026 · Premier League
0–0 D ↑ for Nmecha, Lukas
3 Mar 2026 · Premier League
0–1 L ↓ for Nmecha, Lukas
28 Feb 2026 · Premier League
0–1 L ↓ for Gnonto, Wilfried
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19698
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:51 pm An assist last weekend against Luton.
Got an assist then didn't celebrate at all. Looked almost p*ssed off that they had scored. Was a very unusual reaction.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19698
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: ↑Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:41 pm After tomorrow we've one game in 3 weeks, that should be enough time to get a free agent up to fitness to play some part.

Not like Farke plays some intricate flexible highly coached system.

"If you get the ball pass it back or sideways and under no circumstances go into the box, shoot or play a forward pass or make a forward run.

Do the safest most dull thing you can whenever you get the ball lad"

Simple enough for a new midfield signing :)
What absolute sh*te. Have you seen other teams trying to play out from the back? Our players are all moving two or three passes in advance. Yes we oftern play it back instead of passing with quick sharp passess but the times when we do we are quite good at it and even the passing it around backwards and sideways relies on players moving so as to support the next person receiving a pass and the person after that etc.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41703
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: ↑Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:10 pm What absolute sh*te. Have you seen other teams trying to play out from the back? Our players are all moving two or three passes in advance. Yes we oftern play it back instead of passing with quick sharp passess but the times when we do we are quite good at it and even the passing it around backwards and sideways relies on players moving so as to support the next person receiving a pass and the person after that etc.
Was just being provocative calm down :roflmao:

Every system has coaching to a degree.

But wouldn't say Farke coaches some elite masterclass of a system that would take ages to understand.

Anymore than a Warnock does.

It doesn't demand the sort of things Bielsa asked of Klich for example that level of intelligence that requires repetitive coaching and movement.

I think a competent cm should be able to do a job fairly soon which is what we need so in that sense we are lucky.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 6751
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by Carrick Dave »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:52 pm Never understood why football is made out to be so complex.
Does an incoming player need a PHD to understand the system.
Nowadays they show you an ipad and menu before coming on.
“If you score you can have the steak”
User avatar
JoeDenver
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by JoeDenver »

Cjay wrote: ↑Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:23 pm Decent is relative I suppose.

They are all free agents for a reason

Age
Injury problems

Etc.

Christoph Kramer stands out imo because he knows Farke from Mönchengladbach, decent pedigree but 33 years old and no stranger to the physio.

Edouard Michut is younger, did ok at Sunderland few years ago but isn't really a defensive midfielder.

Francis Coquelin similar to Kramer decent pedigree but fitness issues and age.

Nobody is ideal but isn't an ideal situation
Good shout re: Kramer. I saw Michut on Transferkmarkt, but according to his Wikipedia he’s back with Sunderland as of last week?

Honestly, I think we just need a competent enough of a body between our 2 starting CMs and Crew until we can get Amps healthy (by Dec?) or Gyabi back in January.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20740
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by whiteswan »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Thu Oct 03, 2024 8:26 pm

I'm a little depressed as it means more Rothwell, a player I really hate watching, think Billy Paynter was the last so it's been a while. I'm normally the player positive guy. I've even been called biased a few times.
Please don't be faaip, be depressed I mean. Come on, you are Leeds Mr Positive :scar1 we need your positive input on here.... :)
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7069
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by DDB220 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Thu Oct 03, 2024 8:48 pm I think Rothwell will be better than you think. He hasn't been as good as I hoped he would be. But I thought he improved 2nd half against Norwich. I'm optimistic that we'll see some decent stuff from him now he's guaranteed a run of games. He's certainly a more attacking alternative to our other center mids. So, him getting a few games might actually work out well.
I had to read that post you replied to for context. IMO It doesn’t deserve a reply. I wish there was a way to avoid reading certain posts completely, other than not bothering with the forum henceforth.
How any fan can actually claim to hate Rothwell playing for Leeds is astounding and quite frankly pathetic. Support should be absolute. I hope he scores against Sunderland. I would luv it, really luv it.
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: ↑Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:41 pm After tomorrow we've one game in 3 weeks, that should be enough time to get a free agent up to fitness to play some part.
That's a fair point. Plus he'd only be on the bench - assuming no further injuries
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155199
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Fri Oct 04, 2024 12:05 am I had to read that post you replied to for context. IMO It doesn’t deserve a reply. I wish there was a way to avoid reading certain posts completely, other than not bothering with the forum henceforth.
How any fan can actually claim to hate Rothwell playing for Leeds is astounding and quite frankly pathetic. Support should be absolute. I hope he scores against Sunderland. I would luv it, really luv it.
Absolutely, so do I.

I think people claimed Rothwell had a poor game, because he has scored from a set-piece previously & his free-kick hit the wall, even Ronaldo doesn't score from all his set-pieces. Apart from that moment, Joe produced several pieces of decent play.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79025
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:37 am Absolutely, so do I.

I think people claimed Rothwell had a poor game, because he has scored from a set-piece previously & his free-kick hit the wall, even Ronaldo doesn't score from all his set-pieces. Apart from that moment, Joe produced several pieces of decent play.
Didn't you criticize Joseph for missing the one on one despite Haaland doing the same a few times in his career... I don't hate Joe Rothwell, I just hate watching him play and plenty on here have expressed their dislike for a fair number of Leeds players going back years....


....I also hope he scores, hope he gets a brace ... Leeds first as always.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Jammy 07
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3821
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by Jammy 07 »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:52 pm Never understood why football is made out to be so complex.
Does an incoming player need a PHD to understand the system.
Nowadays they show you an ipad and menu before coming on.
They are footballers though remember.

Ask them 2 mins later what they saw on the iPad and they wouldn't be able to tell you.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21205
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by Jaydog »

Carrick Dave wrote: ↑Thu Oct 03, 2024 11:05 pm “If you score you can have the steak”
What does Bamford survive on?
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
whiteinfrance
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:38 am
Location: Now Scarborough UK

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by whiteinfrance »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Fri Oct 04, 2024 9:05 am What does Bamford survive on?
Treatment table :)
YES!! I'm living in SCARBADOS!! Underneath the palm trees!
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155199
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:30 am Didn't you criticize Joseph for missing the one on one despite Haaland doing the same a few times in his career... I don't hate Joe Rothwell, I just hate watching him play and plenty on here have expressed their dislike for a fair number of Leeds players going back years....


....I also hope he scores, hope he gets a brace ... Leeds first as always.
I didn't actually say you hate Rothwell.

I was critical of Mateo's one on one missed chance, but I've also praised Joseph for all his attributes he brings to the team.
User avatar
Onemanstanding
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:36 pm

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by Onemanstanding »

Bad new about Gruev, I think Wober can play defensive mid.
I know he out for at least 6 weeks, but he should be available before January.
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11772
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by Barlow Boy »

Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Ilia Gruev- Out for the foreseeable

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Thu Jan 09, 2025 5:21 pm
Wonder what kind of time frame we're looking at. Only see him as 4th choice midfielder but will be good to add depth to the squad. Especially useful as his return would allow Ampadu to play in defence if needed.
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41703
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Ilia Gruev

Post by Cjay »

DF now he can drop Tanaka and Rothwell and get Amps and Gruev back in passing back and sideways and never crossing halfway
200-1.gif
200-1.gif (4.55 MiB) Viewed 2999 times
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
Sean_Nile
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6014
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:25 pm

Re: Ilia Gruev

Post by Sean_Nile »

Cjay wrote: ↑Fri Jan 10, 2025 12:25 pm DF now he can drop Tanaka and Rothwell and get Amps and Gruev back in passing back and sideways and never crossing halfway

200-1.gif
Spot on with your tactical analysis... well done again!!!
Never confuse intellect with imagination.
Never let good taste stand in the way of style

~ big nosed Pseudo intellectual, sarky super hero, weirdly obsessed idiot stalker, boring smarmy w*nker, worst pollster, far right dimwit, and resident perspicacious comedian...OR IS HE
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21205
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Ilia Gruev

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: ↑Fri Jan 10, 2025 12:25 pm DF now he can drop Tanaka and Rothwell and get Amps and Gruev back in passing back and sideways and never crossing halfway

200-1.gif
I feel safer in that half tbh.
The other half has the big boys in it.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
Post Reply