What are you reading

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
Rook
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1513
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:02 pm

Re: What are you reading

Post by Rook »

Had a couple of new books for Christmas.


HR Giger. 45th Ed.- Andreas J. Hirsch

Image


The book shows the complete story of Giger’s life and art, his sculptures, film design, and iconic album covers as well as the heritage he left us in his own artist’s museum and self-designed bar in the Swiss Alps. In an in-depth essay, Giger scholar Andreas J. Hirsch plunges into the themes of the artist’s oeuvre while an extensive biography draws on contemporary quotes and Giger’s own statements.

Buy it here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Giger-40th-Ed- ... 202&sr=8-3



Timisoara - The Real Story behind the Romanian Revolution - Arpad Szoczi


Image


Time was running out for Romania's biggest dissident László Tökés in the western Romanian city of Timisoara. The Reformed Church Minister had been using his pulpit every week to preach to packed congregations about the brutal living conditions in the country as well as about the many human rights abuses by the regime's dreaded secret police - the Securitate. Such open dissent had never been done before, and Tökés would have to be disposed of. But Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceausescu had to be careful because of the support the minister was getting from the West. Things dramatically changed when an émigré group from North America sent in two Canadians to record a secret TV interview with Tökés. It was March 20, 1989. The interview would have dire consequences - both for Tökés, and for his country.

Buy it here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Timisoara-Stor ... 128&sr=8-3





I can highly recommend both.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
WestgateRun
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 518
Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 7:53 pm
Location: Wakefield

Re: What are you reading

Post by WestgateRun »

I have a look round the charity shops now and then to see if there are any books I fancy.
Just read "Hitman Anders and the Meaning of It All" by Jonas Jonasson.
Very funny, and an easy read.
I must seek out his other books, including the "The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window..."
Last edited by WestgateRun on Fri Jan 09, 2026 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Rook
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1513
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:02 pm

Re: What are you reading

Post by Rook »

WestgateRun wrote: ↑Fri Jan 09, 2026 1:38 pm If have a look round the charity shops now and then to see if there are any books I fancy.
Just read "Hitman Anders and the Meaning of It All" by Jonas Jonasson.
Very funny, and an easy read.
I must seek out his other books, including the "The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window..."

Yeah, Charity shops are fantastic for books.
They're really good for old magazines as well.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 15029
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: What are you reading

Post by YorkshireSquare »

WestgateRun wrote: ↑Fri Jan 09, 2026 1:38 pm If have a look round the charity shops now and then to see if there are any books I fancy.
Just read "Hitman Anders and the Meaning of It All" by Jonas Jonasson.
Very funny, and an easy read.
I must seek out his other books, including the "The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window..."

Read The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window a while back and The Prophet and the Idiot more recently. Fairly similar in terms of the storyline and farce but a good, easy read all the same.

Got a few more of his to read too.
User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 15029
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: What are you reading

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Wed Oct 15, 2025 11:44 am I didn’t realise we had such a literary bunch. I started writing in retirement and have three novels which I have been persuaded to ‘publish’ on Kindle and am in the process of so doing. I’d really like some independent feedback before I make a complete fool of myself, if anyone is interested in trying one out I could send a PDF copy.

I have:
STARFISH, two young brothers intent on hitting the big time, set in Hull in the eighties.
CENTIPEDE, a middle aged man kills his father, his twin wants to find out why. Skipton is the location this time.
COMEDIANS, a mummy’s boy tries his hand at contract killing. Leeds.

A freind of mine from school has written two novels, https://amzn.to/3LsOOfZ, I have only admiration for those who can sit down and craft a complex story like that. A 1,000 word article on here is about as good as I can manage!
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20737
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: What are you reading

Post by whiteswan »

BobHirst wrote: ↑Wed Oct 15, 2025 7:50 pm Hi Hector here. I just hijacked Bob's account for a couple of minutes.
"Let the light in".....ask her to move away from the friggin window!
Oye you :x only just seen this! don't you start, I have enough trouble from that naughty heccy without you piping up as well :x




It was quite funny though :roflmao:
User avatar
malcolmw
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3707
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: What are you reading

Post by malcolmw »

I've been reading quite a few Scandinavian mystery novels lately.
The Department Q books by Jussi Adler Olsen are excellent. Cold case murder mysteries. Intense and 'unputdownable'.

The inspector Erlandur books by Icelandic author Arlandur Indridason are also good.

Im also a huge fan of our Canadian author Louise Penny. The inspector Gamache series are amazing. Must be read in order. Set in a village in Quebec.
Jimstorrie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 762
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:47 am

Re: What are you reading

Post by Jimstorrie »

1929 by Andrew Ross Sorkin.
Story of the Wall Street Crash
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9720
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: What are you reading

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Stuart MacBride
This House of Burning Bones
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3350
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:02 am

Re: What are you reading

Post by GreennWhite »

Im reading LUFC Forum, its about a group of fans whos ideas on how football should be played, its hilarious, idiotic and crazy.

Not for the faint hearted :lol: :lol:
User avatar
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois

Re: What are you reading

Post by John in Louisiana »

How to Dodge a Cannonball by Dennard Dayle.

A wonderfully sharp, funny work that, while on the surface a novel about the American Civil War, skewers the present day American ethos. Superb.
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: What are you reading

Post by Orange Box »

YorkshireSquare wrote: ↑Fri Jan 09, 2026 2:16 pm A freind of mine from school has written two novels, https://amzn.to/3LsOOfZ, I have only admiration for those who can sit down and craft a complex story like that. A 1,000 word article on here is about as good as I can manage!
I’d love to publish mine, but it’s expensive and there’s a lot of competition out there. The joy for me is the writing and planning the plots. I don’t do it all the time, but once I get the bit in my teeth it’s all consuming.
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: What are you reading

Post by Orange Box »

GreennWhite wrote: ↑Fri Jan 09, 2026 11:16 pm Im reading LUFC Forum, its about a group of fans whos ideas on how football should be played, its hilarious, idiotic and crazy.

Not for the faint hearted :lol: :lol:
That’s what happens when you get a group of comedians, idiots and lunatics together to discuss a topic they have no idea about.
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9720
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: What are you reading

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Sat Jan 10, 2026 1:20 pm I’d love to publish mine, but it’s expensive and there’s a lot of competition out there. The joy for me is the writing and planning the plots. I don’t do it all the time, but once I get the bit in my teeth it’s all consuming.
Don’t listen to his waffle, I’ve read his book ‘Centipede’ and it’s as good as most stuff out there he just doesn’t have the balls to go for it 😁 Maybe with a bit more encouragement from the book readers on here he’ll finally pull up his big boy pants and bite the bullet. What have you got to lose apart from your self esteem, the respect of everyone on here and a bucketload of money tsk tsk.
Just think, when you’re rich we can all come for a party in your new Scottish castle 🍾🥂🍻
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: What are you reading

Post by White Riot »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Sat Jan 10, 2026 1:21 pm That’s what happens when you get a group of comedians, idiots and lunatics together to discuss a topic they have no idea about.
Sums things up nicely OB, but you should have added "and they are blissful in their ignorance" 😂
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78985
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: What are you reading

Post by The Subhuman »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Sat Jan 10, 2026 1:21 pm That’s what happens when you get a group of comedians, idiots and lunatics together to discuss a topic they have no idea about.
The Tory party?
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18293
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: What are you reading

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Currently reading: 'Skyfaring - A Journey With A Pilot' by Mark Vanhoenacker
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18293
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: What are you reading

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Rook wrote: ↑Fri Jan 09, 2026 12:32 pm Had a couple of new books for Christmas.


HR Giger. 45th Ed.- Andreas J. Hirsch

Image


The book shows the complete story of Giger’s life and art, his sculptures, film design, and iconic album covers as well as the heritage he left us in his own artist’s museum and self-designed bar in the Swiss Alps. In an in-depth essay, Giger scholar Andreas J. Hirsch plunges into the themes of the artist’s oeuvre while an extensive biography draws on contemporary quotes and Giger’s own statements.
The image on the cover of the Giger book looks very much indeed like (as I recall it) the gatefold cover to a 7" flexi disc I had back in the mid 70's from ELP. I think my Dad got it free in a magazine and it was extracts from Brain Salad Surgery, but I'd never had/seen a flexi disc before that, so was a bit of a novelty. I'm not sure if I still have it anywhere :duno:
User avatar
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3350
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:02 am

Re: What are you reading

Post by GreennWhite »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 10, 2026 3:57 pm Don’t listen to his waffle, I’ve read his book ‘Centipede’ and it’s as good as most stuff out there he just doesn’t have the balls to go for it 😁 Maybe with a bit more encouragement from the book readers on here he’ll finally pull up his big boy pants and bite the bullet. What have you got to lose apart from your self esteem, the respect of everyone on here and a bucketload of money tsk tsk.
Just think, when you’re rich we can all come for a party in your new Scottish castle 🍾🥂🍻
Respect from everyone on here :duno: What have you been drinking Cussie :lol: :lol:
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9720
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: What are you reading

Post by CUSSIE01 »

GreennWhite wrote: ↑Sun Jan 11, 2026 12:21 am Respect from everyone on here :duno: What have you been drinking Cussie :lol: :lol:
😔 Not enough G&W, tried for a lighthearted attempt ( obviously got it all wrong ) to encourage OB to publish his books as the one he emailed me was very good and the lad obviously has a talent. He’s probably too modest to sing his own praises but anyone who can write 3 novels deserves a shout out. I should take some writing lessons off him so apologies to OB if my post came across as crass and to anyone else who thought I’d lost the plot.
Away to the naughty corner to give my head a rattle 🫨🫨
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
Post Reply