Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22394
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by White Riot »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 5:34 pm I love YouTube for all the live versions of track’s & concerts, I won’t pay for the ad free version so it’s bl**dy annoying when someone sticks an add in the middle of a longer track 🤬 Those people should be hunted down & beaten with a shitty stick.
Aye, it is annoying Cussie, the latest one is that bird Vanessa who keeps telling me "I know the name of your guardian angel 😇, blah, blah".

I guess me finding out my guardian angel's name involves me sending Vanessa my bank account details 😂

But yeah, there is so much great music I've reconnected with and so many new artists I've found on YouTube.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79120
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by The Subhuman »

White Riot wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 5:44 pm Aye, it is annoying Cussie, the latest one is that bird Vanessa who keeps telling me "I know the name of your guardian angel 😇, blah, blah".

I guess me finding out my guardian angel's name involves me sending Vanessa my bank account details 😂

But yeah, there is so much great music I've reconnected with and so many new artists I've found on YouTube.
I like a good reaction video, not some idiot "listening to the first time" yeah right. But someone who knows what they're talking about and breaks down what you're listening to. The best of these is classical composer Doug Helvering

Today I learned the single "sonar ping" note at the start of Echoes is a Grand Piano through a Leslie speaker and it's a B
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Evan R
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2025 2:38 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by Evan R »

1964white wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 5:04 pm Excellent Evan. :tup:

I was trying to distinghuish your albums by the splne. :-D

Blood On The Tracks is a masterpiece.
Indeed. My favorite Dylan album. Yeah I wanted to somehow share a photo where you could see them easier but a lot are so old they are hard to distinguish from the spine. Some classics in there, to be sure. A lot of the usual suspects- Zeppelin, Beatles, Allman Brothers, The Who, Santana, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Stevie Wonder, etc. And then a fair bit of Hip Hop- Tribe Called Quest, Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino, Mac Miller to name a few.

A lot of the older ones from my Dad aren't in the best of shape but have sentimental value/fun stories behind them. The copy of Grateful Dead- American Beauty was given to him by his older brother in 1970 when he returned from Vietnam.
Perhaps in the music thread we could post "What are you spinning today" sort of like the pint of the day one. Would be a fun way for people to reveal their collections!
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6716
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by Finnatic »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 5:35 pm Nothings perfect, Vinyl gets warped or scratched if not careful, Tapes break or unravel, CD's also scratch easily. downloads get lost, streaming is low quality
I’ve saved most of my CD’s as lossless WAV files and I download others in the same format if possible, (most artists nowadays have this option if you want it) and keep them on my PC and also my external SSD
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9751
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Evan R wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 5:52 pm Indeed. My favorite Dylan album. Yeah I wanted to somehow share a photo where you could see them easier but a lot are so old they are hard to distinguish from the spine. Some classics in there, to be sure. A lot of the usual suspects- Zeppelin, Beatles, Allman Brothers, The Who, Santana, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Stevie Wonder, etc. And then a fair bit of Hip Hop- Tribe Called Quest, Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino, Mac Miller to name a few.

A lot of the older ones from my Dad aren't in the best of shape but have sentimental value/fun stories behind them. The copy of Grateful Dead- American Beauty was given to him by his older brother in 1970 when he returned from Vietnam.
Perhaps in the music thread we could post "What are you spinning today" sort of like the pint of the day one. Would be a fun way for people to reveal their collections!
A lot of cracking music in there Evan 👏🏻👏🏻
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14655
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by hector »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 6:40 pm A lot of cracking music in there Evan 👏🏻👏🏻
Aye.................... and some shite too :mrgreen:
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79120
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by The Subhuman »

Always thought childish gambino sounded like a mafia child who's a bit slow
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18338
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by Muppet the Cat »

How many people have still got any of these in their vinyl collection?

I must have got these when I was 8/9yrs old 😀
IMG_0497.jpeg
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18338
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Some 70’s* classics, the majority of which are probably in many people’s collections

(* before Hector corrects me, I know Led Zeppelin II is actually 1969 🙂)
IMG_0498.jpeg
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6716
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by Finnatic »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 7:28 pm How many people have still got any of these in their vinyl collection?

I must have got these when I was 8/9yrs old 😀

IMG_0497.jpeg
My mum and dad had the 1973 album 😁

Eye Level was the first single I asked my mum to buy for me 🤣
Last edited by Finnatic on Tue Apr 21, 2026 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18338
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by Muppet the Cat »

The first recorded I ever bought (as I remember, from a shop in The Stonebow, York, which was opposite the Polar Ford garage)
IMG_3827.jpeg
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18338
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Maiden vinyl, not including 7” singles and CDs
IMG_3825.jpeg
User avatar
wilsdenwhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by wilsdenwhite »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 7:28 pm How many people have still got any of these in their vinyl collection?

I must have got these when I was 8/9yrs old 😀

IMG_0497.jpeg
Bet you got your money's worth out of them over the years :)
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18338
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Very rarely play 7” singles these days, as it’s too much faff to keep getting up to change. However, most kids in the 70’s must have started their record buying life’s with the ‘single’………in my case in the early 70’s by the likes of Slade, T.Rex,Sweet etc. However, I think my single buying zenith was probably 1978/79
IMG_0499.jpeg
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155396
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 7:28 pm How many people have still got any of these in their vinyl collection?

I must have got these when I was 8/9yrs old 😀

IMG_0497.jpeg
I noticed one of those albums today.
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18338
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Madonna picture discs
IMG_3821.jpeg
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18338
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Then of course in the 80’s the 12” single was born
IMG_3822.jpeg
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22394
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by White Riot »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 5:48 pm I like a good reaction video, not some idiot "listening to the first time" yeah right. But someone who knows what they're talking about and breaks down what you're listening to. The best of these is classical composer Doug Helvering

Today I learned the single "sonar ping" note at the start of Echoes is a Grand Piano through a Leslie speaker and it's a B
Yeah, The Daily Doug is brilliant Faaip, from a musical composition perspective.

I also like the opera singer who does The Charismatic Voice, for her vocal analysis, which is really educative and she's fit of course.
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18338
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Most of the music I listen to these days is on Spotify, but these are some of the more recent vinyl albums I’ve bought

As Hector said though, not cheap these days…..just the three MONO albums were £100
IMG_0500.jpeg
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79120
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by The Subhuman »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 7:40 pm The first recorded I ever bought (as I remember, from a shop in The Stonebow, York, which was opposite the Polar Ford garage)

IMG_3827.jpeg
I was given singles but never bought one .... I went straight to albums with birthday/summer job money from about 14..

Image

Image

Image

Image

We're my first 4... After that I remember forking out and sending off for the first four REO Speedwagon albums after a summer working for Air Hanson when I was 15... Still love REO 2 and it's masterwork Golden Country
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Post Reply