The Health Thread.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9744
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by CUSSIE01 »

There are still plenty of good nurses & doctors, my daughter comes home in tears some evenings or mornings at what is happening. She can go a 12 hr shift at times without a break, it’s not the staff it’s the system.
I guarantee whatever job you’re in there will be people who don’t give a damn leading to overworked, stressed, exhausted co workers who do care.
The only difference is if it’s a nurse or doctor someone could die, how many people could cope with that pressure every day.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7503
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by Orange Box »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 08, 2026 3:42 pm There are still plenty of good nurses & doctors, my daughter comes home in tears some evenings or mornings at what is happening. She can go a 12 hr shift at times without a break, it’s not the staff it’s the system.
I guarantee whatever job you’re in there will be people who don’t give a damn leading to overworked, stressed, exhausted co workers who do care.
The only difference is if it’s a nurse or doctor someone could die, how many people could cope with that pressure every day.
I’m not afraid to say, as a paramedic for 23 years, it broke me.
Lufcheidi
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1109
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:32 pm
Twitter: @FollowMeAndLUFC

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by Lufcheidi »

hector wrote: ↑Sun Jun 07, 2026 3:20 pm Update......
I collected Mrs H on friday morning, and brought her home. Seems that whilst in hospital she got HAP Hospital Aquired Pneumonia, so she is now on antibionics for a week to try and shift it..... The surgeon also said that if I hadn't taken her in when I did, that her bowel would have gone "pop".

She thanks all of you for your well wishes...
Thank goodness you did what you did and speedy recovery
Lufcheidi
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1109
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:32 pm
Twitter: @FollowMeAndLUFC

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by Lufcheidi »

Broad Ford wrote: ↑Sun Jun 07, 2026 4:43 pm I'm avin treatment on my right eye for macular degeneration. Too much fluid build up causes blurred vision, so round two of a steroid injection into the mince pie in two weeks. With eyelid speculum preventing one from blinking the mincer one just feels a pop as the needle breaks through the white. One can see the drug swirling around then a strange vision appears, one of the planet Mars big and bold for a few seconds followed by a white mist for six hours.

Sounds scary, but fear not, one experiences no pain nor discomfort during the procedure and it takes no more than 5 mins leaving one with only a black dot in ones vision and a blood shot eye that quickly fades in time for the Croatia fixture. 😉
Join the club although mine is for fluid build up 20 years after having a retinal vein occlusion. I've a feeling they will change what they are using in the injection for my next one as I can still see black floaters. Been having mine since January but monitored for a year before that. At my last one just before he stuck the needle in he told me he supported scum! Same when I had my hip replacement, I was just waiting for the needl to go in my spine and he told me he was a scum fan too.
Lufcheidi
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1109
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:32 pm
Twitter: @FollowMeAndLUFC

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by Lufcheidi »

whiteswan wrote: ↑Mon Jun 08, 2026 12:35 am I've waited a while to reply to this post heccy because it has feelings for me too. I've had to think my reply through. First of all I am so pleased that Mrs heccy is at home and recovering nicely and Thank goodness for your swift action.

Here goes....tears....my Mum was admitted to hospital (92 years old but happy and loving life)....we were expecting her home. BUT....she got Covid on the ward (staff not dressing in proper gear between Covid patients I know because I saw it with my own eyes :x ) ... and then she contracted HOSPITAL AQUIRED PNEUMONIA.....she never came home :verysad: ......I lost her. The hospital I won't mention but I blame it for its reckless care for the elderly. By the way, the hospital is supposedly to care for the elderly in West Yorkshire. Utter rubbish.
Tough post that for me.... :cry: How can patients get friggin Pneumonia in the place that they are supposed be well looked after :x

Hopefully Mrs heccy gets well soon

So sorry to read this, heartbreaking
Lufcheidi
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1109
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:32 pm
Twitter: @FollowMeAndLUFC

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by Lufcheidi »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Mon Jun 08, 2026 1:12 pm Care of the elderly is complete shambles. My friends 92 yo mother fractured her hip on Thursday. She’s been starved on each of 3 days since, having her op postponed each time.
On 2 separate occasions my friend has had to call a nurse from her computer desk to change wet sheets, because she is totally immobile as her hip is unstable.
And this is for a woman who herself spent 40 years nursing. The sad thing is, this will kill her.
How awful that things have got this bad. Trouble is you feel so helpless.
User avatar
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3350
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:02 am

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by GreennWhite »

Its sad to read all the terrible experiences on here that folks have to go through. I wish anyone all the best for things they are going through or may go through in the future. :tup: :love: :crossed:
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9744
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by CUSSIE01 »

GreennWhite wrote: ↑Tue Jun 16, 2026 1:58 pm Its sad to read all the terrible experiences on here that folks have to go through. I wish anyone all the best for things they are going through or may go through in the future. :tup: :love: :crossed:
Covering all bases G&W 👍🏻❤️
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14648
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by hector »

Having had my lung cancer screening CT scan last month, the results came back by post yesterday..... Completely clear... but they spotted some "incidental findings"
The arteries in my heart are calcified..... I thought the bugger electrocuted that and got rid during the insertion of the last 2 stents.... Have a Dr's appointment ( I know.,.. must be serious if I get a face to face) the week after next to discuss things, so let's see what they say, but Dr Google has written me off!!!!
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9744
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by CUSSIE01 »

hector wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2026 9:28 am Having had my lung cancer screening CT scan last month, the results came back by post yesterday..... Completely clear... but they spotted some "incidental findings"
The arteries in my heart are calcified..... I thought the bugger electrocuted that and got rid during the insertion of the last 2 stents.... Have a Dr's appointment ( I know.,.. must be serious if I get a face to face) the week after next to discuss things, so let's see what they say, but Dr Google has written me off!!!!
It’ll all depend how calcified your arteries are Hector, it’s amazing what doctors can do nowadays. Best of luck at your appointment.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79067
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2026 9:28 am Having had my lung cancer screening CT scan last month, the results came back by post yesterday..... Completely clear... but they spotted some "incidental findings"
The arteries in my heart are calcified..... I thought the bugger electrocuted that and got rid during the insertion of the last 2 stents.... Have a Dr's appointment ( I know.,.. must be serious if I get a face to face) the week after next to discuss things, so let's see what they say, but Dr Google has written me off!!!!
Couple of calgon tablets should clear that right up Hector ..

Good luck mate though, hope it all goes well. At least they're picking these things up for you early
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11781
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by Barlow Boy »

hector wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2026 9:28 am Having had my lung cancer screening CT scan last month, the results came back by post yesterday..... Completely clear... but they spotted some "incidental findings"
The arteries in my heart are calcified..... I thought the bugger electrocuted that and got rid during the insertion of the last 2 stents.... Have a Dr's appointment ( I know.,.. must be serious if I get a face to face) the week after next to discuss things, so let's see what they say, but Dr Google has written me off!!!!
All the best Mr Hec, hope all goes well 👍
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
User avatar
Tyzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4215
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by Tyzy »

Fingers crossed for you,hope all goes well 👍
User avatar
Victor_OTT_17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3291
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:27 am
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by Victor_OTT_17 »

hector wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2026 9:28 am Having had my lung cancer screening CT scan last month, the results came back by post yesterday..... Completely clear... but they spotted some "incidental findings"
The arteries in my heart are calcified..... I thought the bugger electrocuted that and got rid during the insertion of the last 2 stents.... Have a Dr's appointment ( I know.,.. must be serious if I get a face to face) the week after next to discuss things, so let's see what they say, but Dr Google has written me off!!!!
Whatever needs doing: get it done! I went if for a possible 'stent or 2' and ended up having a triple bypass: they never even let me out of hospital. My arteries were up to 96% blocked in 9 areas. I never even knew I was ill. Could have had an attack and dies anytime. Here I am 5 months later feel as good as I ever have. Whatever you need, I'm glad they caught it :tup:
The Guitar Medic on FaceBook and on YouTube

weasel wrote: ↑Tue Jul 28, 2026 4:35 pm Are you dense?
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14648
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by hector »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2026 11:30 am Whatever needs doing: get it done! I went if for a possible 'stent or 2' and ended up having a triple bypass: they never even let me out of hospital. My arteries were up to 96% blocked in 9 areas. I never even knew I was ill. Could have had an attack and dies anytime. Here I am 5 months later feel as good as I ever have. Whatever you need, I'm glad they caught it :tup:
I did have a heart attack and didn't know I was..... Went to A&E with lots of pain in the top of my left arm at 0500 and at 0900 was on the table in the cath lab getting 5 stents in the right side of my heart, with the promise that the left side was buggered as well but they would need to wait a month to do that.
I thought all the calcium was zapped away. Will wait and see what is planned....
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41721
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by Cjay »

Hope all goes well Mr Hec.

Positive vibes.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155296
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2026 11:57 am I did have a heart attack and didn't know I was..... Went to A&E with lots of pain in the top of my left arm at 0500 and at 0900 was on the table in the cath lab getting 5 stents in the right side of my heart, with the promise that the left side was buggered as well but they would need to wait a month to do that.
I thought all the calcium was zapped away. Will wait and see what is planned....
Best wishes my dear Hector. :tup:
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22394
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by White Riot »

hector wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2026 11:57 am I did have a heart attack and didn't know I was..... Went to A&E with lots of pain in the top of my left arm at 0500 and at 0900 was on the table in the cath lab getting 5 stents in the right side of my heart, with the promise that the left side was buggered as well but they would need to wait a month to do that.
I thought all the calcium was zapped away. Will wait and see what is planned....
Pleased to hear they got this identified for you Hector and hope you recover well.

I saw our doctor a while ago with this gnawing pain in the right side of my back and groin. I thought it was maybe a hernia, cos I'd been doing a lot of heavy work in the garden, and the first specialist I saw said it might be, and I could either go to hospital for all kinds of tests, or just grin and bear it and see if it worsened. I saw another older guy, and he spent ages checking me out physically and said no chance that it was a hernia, and he sent me for a scan which identified that I have gallstones. I did my own research and found that they cause pain in your right shoulder, which I have, as they press on a nerve that runs down the right side of your body. So, put two and two together and figured that's why I kept getting this pain in the right side of my back and groin.

No treatment, other than not eating greasy food, drinking coffee, or energy drinks. From what I gather if you get a really bad attack they have to remove your gall-bladder as the pain can be unbearable, and it's life threatening. I talked to an old guy who had his gall-bladder removed and asked him what that was like and he replied "f**king horrendous" thanks for the reassurance mate :)

Still have bother with gout, so generally avoid drinking beer, as that seems to trigger it more than anything, plus alcohol is supposed to be bad for these gall-stones. The joys of getting older :lol:
User avatar
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3350
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:02 am

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by GreennWhite »

All the best of luck Hector :tup: :crossed:
User avatar
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 6754
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: The Health Thread.

Post by Carrick Dave »

Just caught up with this thread Hector, so sorry to hear about Mrs H, I hope she’s managing everything and improving day to day.

And good luck with the doctor, I hope you get good news, it’s a worrying time.

Best wishes to you both.❤️
Post Reply