Is London a sh*thole?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Is London a sh*thole?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 15, 2026 7:02 pm

Yes
4
11%
Yes and most of the people are c*nts too
16
46%
No
12
34%
No but most of the people are c*nts
3
9%
 
Total votes: 35

User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41695
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by Cjay »

Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Sun Sep 06, 2026 8:04 am Blimey, you’re even bringing your stats into this debate 😂😂😂
Gotta be thorough :)

Personally though can't stand London :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14623
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by hector »

weasel wrote: ↑Sun Sep 06, 2026 9:14 am Often people go to funerals, not because they want to.
Especially their own !!!! :shock:
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11764
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by Barlow Boy »

Cjay wrote: ↑Sun Sep 06, 2026 10:11 am Gotta be thorough :)

Personally though can't stand London :lol:
😂😂😂

Me neither, as mentioned, I used to go down there for work, always looked forward to my train journey home.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by Orange Box »

Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Sun Sep 06, 2026 11:10 am 😂😂😂

Me neither, as mentioned, I used to go down there for work, always looked forward to my train journey home.
Standing until Peterborough was a nice touch, I thought.
User avatar
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 2970
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:23 am

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by Pullhard »

Really like visiting London.
Lots of positives about the place. Like all cities, there are negatives as well.
I have a daughter working and living there. She absolutely loves it.
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11764
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by Barlow Boy »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Sun Sep 06, 2026 11:13 am Standing until Peterborough was a nice touch, I thought.
I always used to give up my seat for the ladies, so standing was guaranteed for me.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14623
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by hector »

Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Sun Sep 06, 2026 12:04 pm I always used to give up my seat for the ladies, so standing was guaranteed for me.
I always used to wear a dress and wig.... Always some mug willing to give up his seat for me :mrgreen:
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by John in Louisiana »

Cjay wrote: ↑Sat Sep 05, 2026 11:49 pm Not my cup of tea but its the 3rd most visited City in the world for a reason

Has some very nice areas and some bad ones

Some interesting things to see.
Seems to me that London and New York are very similar in that regard. I turned down a job offer in New York because, while it paid enough to live on, it didn't pay enough for me to pay rent and also afford doing all the things that make New York so special.

If you have lots of cash or are there on a visit, they're the best cities on earth. If you live there, however, and see all the things and places that tourists never see - and from which the wealthy can insulate themselves - it's a very different story. When I'm in England in January I'll be staying in London mostly and have tickets to the Royal Opera and two different West End shows. I can afford that once every couple of years there as a tourist, but were I to live there it would not be sustainable.

As a place to live, give me Yorkshire any day.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: ↑Sun Sep 06, 2026 1:13 pm Seems to me that London and New York are very similar in that regard. I turned down a job offer in New York because, while it paid enough to live on, it didn't pay enough for me to pay rent and also afford doing all the things that make New York so special.

If you have lots of cash or are there on a visit, they're the best cities on earth. If you live there, however, and see all the things and places that tourists never see - and from which the wealthy can insulate themselves - it's a very different story. When I'm in England in January I'll be staying in London mostly and have tickets to the Royal Opera and two different West End shows. I can afford that once every couple of years there as a tourist, but were I to live there it would not be sustainable.

As a place to live, give me Yorkshire any day.
Devon would be my choice, somewhere in the south near Kingsbridge... Prawle would be my number 1 choice and 15 years ago I took a snap of my dream home


Prawle house.JPG


It looks south, east and west and has it's own beach at the bottom of the hill ... It's on the southwest coast path between Prawle Point and Start Point
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Tom the Cat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 750
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:33 am

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by Tom the Cat »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Sun Sep 06, 2026 2:48 pm Devon would be my choice, somewhere in the south near Kingsbridge... Prawle would be my number 1 choice and 15 years ago I took a snap of my dream home



Prawle house.JPG


It looks south, east and west and has it's own beach at the bottom of the hill ... It's on the southwest coast path between Prawle Point and Start Point
Good heavens I think it is my second home.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by The Subhuman »

Tom the Cat wrote: ↑Mon Sep 07, 2026 9:47 am Good heavens I think it is my second home.
£250 quid for it
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 15029
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by YorkshireSquare »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Sat Sep 05, 2026 7:44 pm The Mayor of London is an Islamist.

I mean, he really isn't. He's a left leaning, progressive member of the labour party who supports LGBT rights and attends pride events.

He's a supporter of Surrey County Cricket Club though, which is my biggest issue with him.
User avatar
whiteinfrance
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:38 am
Location: Now Scarborough UK

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by whiteinfrance »

Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Sun Sep 06, 2026 12:04 pm I always used to give up my seat for the ladies, so standing was guaranteed for me.
How do you know whether a woman is a lady or not though?
Which is why I always call them women 8-)
YES!! I'm living in SCARBADOS!! Underneath the palm trees!
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by The Subhuman »

YorkshireSquare wrote: ↑Mon Sep 07, 2026 10:34 am I mean, he really isn't. He's a left leaning, progressive member of the labour party who supports LGBT rights and attends pride events.

He's a supporter of Surrey County Cricket Club though, which is my biggest issue with him.
Glory hunter clearly... I'm going to have to agree being a Hampshire fan.

And the reason I'm a Hampshire fan rather than Surrey where I've lived all my life is my dad didn't like going into London on his bike much. Was much happier going the extra 20 miles to Portsmouth, with me a pillion from the age of 6 ish, to watch Hants.

Great decision as I got to watch Greenidge, Richards, Roberts and then Marshall as I grew up.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Chilli D
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8780
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by Chilli D »

As others have said, there are some nice areas, such as Covent Garden, but there are others which are extremely dangerous and should be avoided at all costs.
However, even high tourist areas such as Oxford Street have seen stabbings recently.
Having lived in Suffolk nearly all my life I am very much a country mouse and can't think of anything worse than living in a city.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
User avatar
Sean_Nile
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6014
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:25 pm

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by Sean_Nile »

In the 60s I lived in Neasden NW10. My landlady was Irish and there were lots of Irish pubs and a big Irish community. On a Friday night when the pubs closed and you have been singing your heart out in the pub, some drunk Irishman would grab your hand in a death grip handshake and promise to be your friend for life.

For entertainment it was going on marches in Central London against the Vietnam war, and breaking off from the main march to try and storm the American embassy in Grosvenor Square.

Bobbies with linked arms blocked the way. There was lots of pushing and shoving but we were quite glad that they didn't let us through because behind them were mounted police and that was real serious, because you don't want to get trampled by a horse.

Tariq Ali spoke before the march began to rile up the crowd. The serious anarchists who had black and red flags had bags of marbles to scatter on the road in the eventuality that there was a horse charge.

The gentile residents observed from their windows the huge rugby scrum that shuddered and wavered on the street with mild amusement.

All in a weekends Entertainment and on Monday it was back to working on the night shift at Mcvittes and Price and Norman my mate worked at Heinz, the factory down the road, and bought baby food tins at a penny a pop, which we used to make curry and rice with cos we were saving up for a boat to sail around the world.

Ah the impetuousness of youth

Never confuse intellect with imagination.
Never let good taste stand in the way of style

~ big nosed Pseudo intellectual, sarky super hero, weirdly obsessed idiot stalker, boring smarmy w*nker, worst pollster, far right dimwit, and resident perspicacious comedian...OR IS HE
User avatar
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:17 am
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by Broad Ford »

A for me based on it being a massive concrete jungle. This man made jungle both corrupts the corruptable and hides those that thrive on corruption and lies, whilst they accumulate all that man made Fiat digital currency.

I dream of small collective rural villages of around 200 maximum residents. A couple of hundred people is about all one could meaningfully know, anymore than that and one would be socialising with strangers not knowing what their true intentions were. Picture it now, clean air and river, woodland, fields of crops and people you know very well.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19693
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by weasel »

Broad Ford wrote: ↑Mon Sep 07, 2026 1:46 pm A for me based on it being a massive concrete jungle. This man made jungle both corrupts the corruptable and hides those that thrive on corruption and lies, whilst they accumulate all that man made Fiat digital currency.

I dream of small collective rural villages of around 200 maximum residents. A couple of hundred people is about all one could meaningfully know, anymore than that and one would be socialising with strangers not knowing what their true intentions were. Picture it now, clean air and river, woodland, fields of crops and people you know very well.
Count me in.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by Orange Box »

whiteinfrance wrote: ↑Mon Sep 07, 2026 10:45 am How do you know whether a woman is a lady or not though?
Which is why I always call them women 8-)
He’s showing off. He's from Cas, same as me. He wouldn’t know a lady if she smacked him in the gob.
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11764
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: Is London a sh*thole?

Post by Barlow Boy »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Mon Sep 07, 2026 2:35 pm He’s showing off. He's from Cas, same as me. He wouldn’t know a lady if she smacked him in the gob.
If the punch was very hard I would, definitely a woman from Cas.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Post Reply