Best Third/Middle Centre-Back over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (29th Sept)
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Best Third/Middle Centre-Back over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (29th Sept)
A difficult poll which requires a third dual-purpose centre-back.
I have selected CBs who have played in a three, plus a couple of names I haven't included in the previous CB polls.
Also, I included converted full-backs who often played in a centre-back role.
Pascal Struijk appears again as he often played on the right side of Liam Cooper.
I have selected CBs who have played in a three, plus a couple of names I haven't included in the previous CB polls.
Also, I included converted full-backs who often played in a centre-back role.
Pascal Struijk appears again as he often played on the right side of Liam Cooper.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78993
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Best Third/Middle Centre-Back over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (29th Sept)
This is tough because we've only really played the sweeper under Farke over the last year.
Not Struijk this time, he was awful right side, I think the missing name this time is Kalvin Phillips who Bielsa played as a DMF/Sweeper hybrid. Kalvin dropping into a back three on defence. It's the role I'd love to see Ampadu play tbh.
Bijol should win as he's the only one who's played that role extensively for us. Llorente I'm struggling to recall playing in a 3 but he has all the attributes of a quality sweeper. Berardi was excellent as a centre back but was it a three? He basically replaced Pontus for a while IIRC..
If it's just the best player to play CB in a two then it's White
I've gone for White
Not Struijk this time, he was awful right side, I think the missing name this time is Kalvin Phillips who Bielsa played as a DMF/Sweeper hybrid. Kalvin dropping into a back three on defence. It's the role I'd love to see Ampadu play tbh.
Bijol should win as he's the only one who's played that role extensively for us. Llorente I'm struggling to recall playing in a 3 but he has all the attributes of a quality sweeper. Berardi was excellent as a centre back but was it a three? He basically replaced Pontus for a while IIRC..
If it's just the best player to play CB in a two then it's White
I've gone for White
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41696
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: Best Third/Middle Centre-Back over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (29th Sept)
Should be Bijol imo.
Exceptional last season.
Nostalgia may get White the vote playing for us in the Championship I suppose.
Exceptional last season.
Nostalgia may get White the vote playing for us in the Championship I suppose.
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
- Carrick Dave
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 6743
- Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Best Third/Middle Centre-Back over the last 20 years - Poll of the Day (29th Sept)
No he didn't, Dave.Carrick Dave wrote: ↑Tue Sep 29, 2026 10:39 pm Did White ever play for Leeds in the middle of three CBs?
For that reason, and he was only on loan to us in the championship, I'm going to change my vote.