O/T: The NFL thread with some baseball thrown in

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79006
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

O/T: The NFL thread with some baseball thrown in

Post by The Subhuman »

PaulUSA wrote: OT (sorry)

When considering rookies, I'd look at RBs before QBs or WRs (since the adjustment from college to pro is less complex for RBs). The two that I think could have the most impact are Ryan Matthews (San Diego) and Ben Tate (Houston). Matthews is stepping into LT's position and Tate has a good chance to start because of Steve Slaton's fumblitis. Matthews a 4th to 7th round pick. Tate a little later. As a Raider fan, do you rate McFadden this time around? Or is he chronically soft?

Everyone seems to be hot on Matthews, Id take him no higher than low round two but He's moving up those draft boards I'm not sold on Tate yet, It's a solid OL though so If he's around I'd take him in 7 or 8

Spiller interests me, talent is there but I don't see him starting. no the two Rookie RBs that have me thinking are Hardesty at the Browns and Javid Best at the Lions.

I'm not touching a rookie reciever till the final rounds at the earliest and even then not one of the "rated" ones. There are a enough lower ranked talents in Doucet, Aromashodu, Floyd, even Royal at the Broncos, not to have to take a rookie like Bryant, Tate or Benn. I will throw Jordan Shipley's name into the hat, Behind Occho and Bryant in the depth charts I reckon he's gonna get a run at some point

I'm just not sold yet on Run DMC, he goes to ground to easily. hopefully though with an improved OL who knows. no Raider player is fantasy kosher though, with the possible exception of Zach Miller, and may I suggest the DST :roll:

last two points: I'm not touching a rookie QB at all ( I'm hoping to pick up Stafford though) and if Matthews goes 4 rounds in a 12 team draft I'll eat my hat :lol:
Last edited by The Subhuman on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
PaulUSA
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:37 am
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by PaulUSA »

faaip wrote:Everyone seems to be hot on Matthews, Id take him no higher than low round two but He's moving up those draft boards I'm not sold on Tate yet, It's a solid OL though so If he's around I'd take him in 7 or 8

Spiller interests me, talent is there but I don't see him starting. no the two Rookie RBs that have me thinking are Hardesty at the Browns and Javid Best at the Lions.

I'm not touching a rookie reciever till the final rounds at the earliest and even then not one of the "rated" ones. There are a enough lower ranked talents in Doucet, Aromashodu, Floyd, even Royal at the Broncos, not to have to take a rookie like Bryant, Tate or Benn. I will throw Jordan Shipley's name into the hat, Behind Occho and Bryant in the depth charts I reckon he's gonna get a run at some point

I'm just not sold yet on Run DMC, he goes to ground to easily. hopefully though with an improved OL who knows. no Raider player is fantasy kosher though, with the possible exception of Zach Miller, and may I suggest the DST :roll:

last two points: I'm not touching a rookie QB at all ( I'm hoping to pick up Stafford though) and if Matthews goes 4 rounds in a 12 team draft I'll eat my hat :lol:
Spiller will supposedly be used as a specialty back, which makes me a bit skeptical. Best is a good prospect, although I tend to avoid the Lions at all costs b/c they are so perpetually poor. If Kevin Smith ever gets healthy, it'll be a 2 back system, I fear.

Dez Bryant could be a quick start, but many receivers take awhile to learn the pro coverages. I like Crabtree to blossom this year (bad pun), although it would help to give him an upgrade at QB.

Shon Greene could be big this year b/c the Jets offensive line is beast -- GW could rush for 1,000 in that system. Knowshon Moreno -- I had him last year and the results were uneven.

My big dilemma is Jay Cutler. After winning three years in a row, I discarded P. Manning last year, thinking that Cutler was the future. Yup, last place. I still love his arm, but he's not the brightest light -- forces everything. [We are allowed to keep two players from the previous year -- the rest are all thrown back into the draft.] Not sure whether to give him another year or just go fishing.
Last edited by PaulUSA on Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helplessly hoping
User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 16442
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by HarryofOz »

Paul is interested enough to click on the quote button but not interested enough to say anything
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
User avatar
PaulUSA
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:37 am
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by PaulUSA »

HarryofOz wrote:Paul is interested enough to click on the quote button but not interested enough to say anything
I was so excited that I prematurely...well...posted.

It's been edited, so all is well that ends...
Helplessly hoping
User avatar
Jason123
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1342
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:22 am

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by Jason123 »

when we put comments in the wrong section we are told "wrong section"

guys wrong forum lol
User avatar
Johnny Utah
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 am

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by Johnny Utah »

Got my copies of the college & nfl previews from sportsweek on saturday...i'm getting moist as we speak :lol:
Gooooooooo CHARGERS !!!!!
KEN BATES IS AN EVIL CROOK
yorkshiremackem
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1118
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:12 pm
Location: on my ass, in a warm chair
Contact:

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by yorkshiremackem »

go vikes
hopefully farve will sign on again, the williams will play a whole season(no jail time) and ad peterson will pick up another 1000 yards.
as for the draft in the uk there is no info on players untill the draft show so i know nothing about who is out there, all i know the vikes have picked up a couple of stars with peterson and harvey
User avatar
Johnny Utah
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 am

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by Johnny Utah »

Favre will sign...he is already doing some practice after his op...cant see the vikings doing anything though...New York Jets are going to be the team to beat this year i think :(
KEN BATES IS AN EVIL CROOK
yorkshiremackem
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1118
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:12 pm
Location: on my ass, in a warm chair
Contact:

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by yorkshiremackem »

vikes all way this year. need a back up for farve and thats it. allen to get 20+ sacks :lol:
User avatar
kindestcut
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: Upstate New York, USA

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by kindestcut »

I really hope Favre decides to come back as well. If he doesn't, then I may never fulfill my dream of one day seeing his arm fall off. :-D
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79006
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by The Subhuman »

Johnny Utah wrote:Favre will sign...he is already doing some practice after his op...cant see the vikings doing anything though...New York Jets are going to be the team to beat this year i think :(
He has with our own Jason Campbell I believe,

as for the Jets, they spent bags of money this off season, they'll need to do well this season. somehow though I don't see it. Packers for me to win the whole thing with my Raiders hopefully getting toward parity
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79006
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by The Subhuman »

Paul, I know Spiller has been designated as the specialty back, but as one savvy commentator noted why use the stationwagons when you have a rolls royce, I like what I saw of Spiller on ESPN last season, and class should tell over Jackson and Lynch, who may not be at Buffalo next season anyway

Greene should post no less than 1400 yards this season, but my fear is the finishing skills of LT will detract from his points

I will say I had the worst draft of anybody last season, fortunate to pick first and get All Day, I then proceeded to show incredible stupidity and lack of preparation and favouritism towards Raider players including DHB in round 8 I think. i'll see if it's still available It's been a while since MOT had a really good laugh..that said I took JJ's Rodgers and Rice lead Waccoebowl winning team to finally put an end to a 7 game winning run in the semi finals....I was ever so proud of the lads :roll:
Last edited by The Subhuman on Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79006
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by The Subhuman »

yorkshiremackem wrote:go vikes
hopefully farve will sign on again, the williams will play a whole season(no jail time) and ad peterson will pick up another 1000 yards.
as for the draft in the uk there is no info on players untill the draft show so i know nothing about who is out there, all i know the vikes have picked up a couple of stars with peterson and harvey

not sure quite what you mean by no information or draft show, and I suspect you mean Percy Harvin, who was a rookie last season I think , if it's news on The Vikings you are after then here should help

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/NFL/Minnesota+Vikings

NFL draft has been and gone though and this was the Vikings draft picks

http://www.vikings.com/news/2010-Draft- ... picks.html
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
yorkshiremackem
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1118
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:12 pm
Location: on my ass, in a warm chair
Contact:

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by yorkshiremackem »

i mean no info on the players as in the uk there is no collage football so i dont know who to look out for and if we got a great pick, harvey was great last year, popping up all over the place
User avatar
Johnny Utah
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 am

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by Johnny Utah »

I dont know if anyone knows about this but if you are into college football as well this link has all the games from the SEC conference 2009 season you can watch for free. Just scroll down until you get GRIDIRON CLASSICS-

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/default.aspx

TEBOW !!!
KEN BATES IS AN EVIL CROOK
User avatar
PaulUSA
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:37 am
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by PaulUSA »

faaip -- For whatever it's worth, when getting ready for the draft, I've had good luck using the position-by-position rankings from CSBSportlines to back up/compare with my own rankings. I've attached a link below, just in case you don't have a source you trust.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantas ... MidContent
Helplessly hoping
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79006
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by The Subhuman »

PaulUSA wrote:faaip -- For whatever it's worth, when getting ready for the draft, I've had good luck using the position-by-position rankings from CSBSportlines to back up/compare with my own rankings. I've attached a link below, just in case you don't have a source you trust.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantas ... MidContent
cheers mate I also use The NFL site and more often than not ESPN

your being enquired after on VLR though
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
PaulUSA
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:37 am
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by PaulUSA »

faaip wrote: cheers mate I also use The NFL site and more often than not ESPN

your being enquired after on VLR though
Security software at work generally blocks me from chatrooms/streams. How are we doing?
Helplessly hoping
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79006
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by The Subhuman »

PaulUSA wrote: Security software at work generally blocks me from chatrooms/streams. How are we doing?
1 down
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
PaulUSA
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:37 am
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: O?T The NFL thread, lets see if we have enough interest

Post by PaulUSA »

Thanks faaip. I found your link, and once I got the password squared, I was able to get access. No such luck w/ VLR. Give my best to everyone. Two Leeds goals in the second half to seal a win. (Paynter and Snoddy)
Helplessly hoping
Post Reply