HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
ArmleyWhite

Re: For injured servicemen and women.

Post by ArmleyWhite »

Gopher wrote:
I`m short of about 6500 posts. But I blame Armley.



I have the wristband, sweatshirt, stickers on the van, tax disc holder, you get the pic. So does my girlfriend, her nephew is in the forces in Germany at the moment but could go to Afghanistan at anytime. It is a bloody shame that the servicemen, and women have to have outside help for medical expenses after they arrive back in Blighty. Not many politicians sons or daughters are on the front line though eh. :evil:
This government should either, let them do what they have to do and stop fannying about or just pull them all out NOW.

Politicians, meh! lying bastards every one of them. The only honest politician is a dead one.
Here here old chap!! Well, except for blaming me of course!! :lol:
Gopher
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Colchester Essex
Contact:

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by Gopher »

Sod off, you thieving ba***rd, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


You were to blame for global warming. And the theft of all of Saddams gold. :lol: :lol:
Image

Armley is a thievin` chav git. And maybe a poof.
User avatar
joelufc20
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2099
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:35 pm
Location: Lincoln UK

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by joelufc20 »

All we want is out dignity and a Job for us when our time comes to an End but most people just dont want to know or give us a chance. Applied for 200 jobs now and im leaving the RAF in 3 weeks and not getting anywhere. The government sjhould give tax breaks to employers who employ ex service personnel
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND



[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
User avatar
philarmy
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:38 am
Twitter: @leedsbarber
Location: Pudsey
Contact:

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by philarmy »

!ou should need credit points for service in the Forces. The more prior service you have given, the more points you get. You should also get bonus points for every award, decoration you get. Therefore, someone who has done 20 years in the Forces doing back to back tours and with more medals than a US Army General should pretty much walk into a public sector job.

Why do I not think it should apply to all public sector workers? Well other public sector workers can remain in post for the rest of their working lives (usually). The vast majority of service personnel need to start looking for a new job by the time they are in their late 30s/early 40s, depending on their engagement/commission.

Like footballers, we have relatively short careers. Unlike footallers, most of us do not earn enough to retire on at the end of our careers.
Stick a fork in me, I'm done!
LUFCRACE
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:22 pm
Twitter: lufcrace
Location: Wakefield
Contact:

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by LUFCRACE »

While I agree to some extent, it isn't as if it's unusual. EVERYONE is struggling to find work at the moment.
BRING BACK BRADDERS

Image
International English and maths study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. Give us a shout if you think your child could benefit.
www.facebook.com/KumonWakefieldNorth
Image
Tiny
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:25 am
Location: Darlington, North Yorkshire England

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by Tiny »

Hi All,
As some of you may well know im a serving soldier and 360 of my Regiment are serving in Afghan at the moment.
I would like to say this.
Please support all the men and women out there.
I personally have lost 2 good Friends last month (July),1 of those we lay to rest tomorrow,he leaves behind a Daughter
(Single Parrent)
If you can give a little then that would be much appreciated.
I also have wrist bands for sale at a cost of £2 each which goes to charity for those injured and families of those killed in action.
I see it this way,"i'm one of the lucky one's who have noy deployed and i go home at night to see me wife and loved one's"
I'm also making up parcels with goodies/treats at no cost to send out there to them.
I dont wont to sound as if im begging but just a little puts a big smile on a face.

Thanks for reading this and if you need any more information then please contact me either here or pm.
Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tiny (Leeds Utd fan since 1970)
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by Twiggster »

Tiny - you asked me to help me with summat regarding your regiment and Leeds Utd, a few weeks ago? Pls send me a pm, as I''m ashamed to say I've been really busy since then and :cry: I've forgotten what it was? I remember you asking.

Soz mate - please pm me!
User avatar
philarmy
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:38 am
Twitter: @leedsbarber
Location: Pudsey
Contact:

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by philarmy »

Tiny, who are you with? How do we buy wristbands, just send you a cheque for the bands plus postage or pay via Paypal or what? Also, how do we get goods to you? Would it be easiest to find out what matches you are attending and just bring stuff for you or do you want it sent to you or do you want to give the name and address of someone to send a shoe box of stuff to in theatre? Finally, can you let me know by PM which clerks you have out there? I'm SPS myself.

(Ha! Just had to change my own profile to reflect the fact that I'm not there anymore.)
Stick a fork in me, I'm done!
User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 15029
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Heard a great story on Radio 5 the other week about a locksmith who stated to work with the British Legion to retrain soldiers. They pay for the soliders travel up to Whitley Bay where they are based, put them up in a hotel and train them up, give them a full toolkit and everything required to set up their own business. More businesses should do things like this.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/about-u ... al-winners
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by Twiggster »

I didn't know quite where to post this on MOT....I decided to put it here.

T'was the night before Christmas, he lived all alone,
In a one bedroom house, made of plaster and stone.
I had come down the chimney, with presents to give,
And to see just who, in this home, did live.
I looked all about, a strange sight I did see,
No tinsel, no presents, not even a tree.
No stocking by mantle, just boots filled with sand,
On the wall hung pictures, of far distant lands.

With medals and badges, awards of all kinds,
A sober thought, came through my mind.
For this house was different, it was dark and dreary,
I found the home of a soldier, once i could see clearly.

The soldier lay sleeping, silent, alone,
Curled up on the floor, in this one bedroom home.
The face was so gentle, the room in disorder,
Not how i pictured, a true British soldier.

Was this the hero, of whom I’d just read?
Curled up on a poncho, the floor for a bed?
I realised the families, that i saw this night,
Owed their lives to these soldiers, who were willing to fight.

Soon round the world, the children would play,
And grownups would celebrate, a bright Christmas day.
They all enjoyed freedom, each month of the year,
Because of the soldiers, like the one lying here.

I couldn't help wonder, how many lay alone,
On a cold Christmas eve, in a land far from home.
The very thought brought, a tear to my eye,
I dropped to my knees, and started to cry.

The soldier awakened, and i heard a rough voice,
"Santa don't cry, this life is my choice;
I fight for freedom, i don't ask for more,
My life is my god, my country, my corps...."

The soldier rolled over, and drifted to sleep,
I couldn't control it, i continued to weep.
I kept watch for hours, so silent and still,
And we both shivered, from the cold night's chill.

I did not want to leave, on that cold, dark, night,
This guardian of honor, so willing to fight.
Then the soldier rolled over, with a voice soft and pure,
Whispered, "Carry on Santa, it's Christmas day, all is secure."

One look at my watch, and i knew he was right.
"Merry Christmas my friend, and to all a good night."



This poem was written by a Peacekeeping soldier stationed overseas. The following is his request. I think it is reasonable


PLEASE. Would you do me the kind favour of sending this to as many people as you can?
Christmas will be coming soon and some credit is due to all of the service men and women for our being able to celebrate these festivities.
Let's try in this small way to pay a tiny bit of what we owe. Make people stop and think of our heroes, living and dead, who sacrificed themselves for us.
Please, do your small part to plant this small seed.





LUFCRACE
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:22 pm
Twitter: lufcrace
Location: Wakefield
Contact:

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by LUFCRACE »

:thup: Well done that Soldier!
BRING BACK BRADDERS

Image
International English and maths study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. Give us a shout if you think your child could benefit.
www.facebook.com/KumonWakefieldNorth
Image
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by Twiggster »

LUFCRACE wrote::thup: Well done that Soldier!
Had me in bluddy tears that did last night!

Any idea how to post that on Jack Cummings' page on Facebook - too many chars to post direct?
FranklyLeeds
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:35 pm

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by FranklyLeeds »

Love your work Twiggs. I concur completely with your comments. Looks like a great site and they deserve some support. As an ex British Serviceman I can completely understand the messages here on this site. I have ordered a few 'things' for home.
PS, thnx for sorting out my MOT account mate and more power to your podcast elbow - love it. I am listening to the Pompey game here in Western Australia and we are crushing them 2-0!!! MOT.
Cheers, Frank
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by Twiggster »

I was emailed this today, asking if I could post it on here. I've checked it out and it seems to be genuine...but I will add the disclaimer that:
"MOTForum.com, it's owners and administration have no legal or binding connection to this organisation and are in no way responsible for the content, or any resultant consequences thereof. Any participation is at the participant's OWN RISK and any complaints or grievances should be directed to the organisation concerned and NOT to MOTForum.Com."


Hi, i would like to introduce the Grassroots Sports Foundation.
www.gsfuk.com


The Grassroots Sports Foundation aims to improve the lives of Disabled, Injured, Sick and Under Privileged people throughout the UK. We are not a Charity, we are official fundraisers for Help for Heroes. As part of our launch we have introduced ‘Football For Forces’.


‘Football For Forces’ is targeting Football Fans but we are asking anybody interested to visit our website and make a donation of at least £1.00 of which every penny goes straight to Help for Heroes. The difference to usual requests for donations and fundraisers is that everybody who does donate at least £1.00 can be entered into a prize draw. The prizes on offer are -

· 5 x £500 Cash Prizes (the Cash Prizes have been donated to the GSF and do not come out of the donations received).

· A David Beckham signed England Shirt.

· A Signed and Framed Lionel Messi Photo.

· A pair of Adidas F50 adizone football boots of which the winner can choose their size.


The prizes have been donated to the GSF to help us with our ‘Football For Forces’ launch.


As of April 1st 2011 we will be running an SMS UK Football Quiz, The UK Football Quiz gives people the chance to win prizes whilst also supporting charity, Each Quiz will last for 14 days and can be entered into via text message at any point during that period.


As stated we are already official fundraisers for Help for Heroes, but we are contacting Fans, Players and Members from the Premiership through to Sunday Morning Football to introduce the GSF and get them involved.


We would like people to contact us with Community Projects / Causes they are involved with or know of that need funding support. We are open to all requests, it may be you know of an individual needing help to purchase a wheelchair, a local club or school needs new goalposts, or your supporter’s team needs a new kit! We will consider all requests so please contact us, details are available on the website.


Funds raised will be split equally and donated to Help for Heroes and a different Charity / Community Project / Cause each quiz, information on which Charities / Community Projects / Causes will we are supporting for each quiz will be available on the website and on any literature produced.


The GSF will be mentioned on your local BBC Radio stations over the next few days in different features and bulletins so please listen out for that. We are also in contact with Sky, Talksport, etc and you will seeing and hearing us on there in the near future. Please join us on Facebook and Twitter through the links below.


Thanks for taking the time to read the above, please visit our website and spread the word about the GSF to friends, family, fans, team mates, anybody who loves football basically!


Website - http://www.gsfuk.com

Email – [email protected]

Twitter - @FootballGSF

Facebook - or FootballGSF (in search option) [email protected]









User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by Twiggster »

Too long since anyone posted on this thread: Please support this?

Sponsored Run

Thanks :thup:
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by Twiggster »

Now this even has support from the club. Link

Please use the link on that article to sponsor Steve. Thanks.


User avatar
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8966
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 am
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds
Location: Sunny Doncaster

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by Dr.Leeds »

Great news for this charity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13658077

:thup:
Image
Armleywhite

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by Armleywhite »

Good article on the BBC. Please don't forget that injury is not only physical.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13687796
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by Twiggster »

Very good article mate.
If it was kill or be killed, or if my family was threatened, I guess I'd get in first. I hope I am never in that position, as I just don't know HOW I could deal with taking a life.

Post war psychological issues seriously need to be looked at, with the suicide percentages of ex soldiers as high as they are, through lack of counselling and support.
Help for Heroes needs funds for EVERY aspect of our military casualties.

Jack Cummings had to overcome both a serious physical handicap AND the mental stress that caused him, after being maimed in Afghanistan.
He is now taking part in the Endeavor Paraplegic games in Oklahoma, this week - less than a year after the incident.
He has been "lucky" and has had help and support from his wonderful family as well as thousands of well wishers who have posted support on his facebook page.

However - there are SO many ex military heroes who don't have that support and have to work out their traumas on their own...and sometimes they just give up....

Which is exactly why this fixed post is on this forum. Hopefully to bring awareness and support for Help For Heroes.

Anyone reading this, please scroll up to my last post on here about the lad raising money for this cause, with his series of marathon runs. Donate if you can please....if not and you live along his route - please turn out to cheer him on, or even run with hime for a mile or so. Help For Heroes needs funds. And Not just for the physically maimed.

Simon - sorry to hijack your post, but I am sure you won't mind?




Armleywhite

Re: HELP FOR HEROES For injured servicemen and women.

Post by Armleywhite »

Twiggster wrote:Very good article mate.
Simon - sorry to hijack your post, but I am sure you won't mind?
No need to be sorry, good response.
Post Reply