Welcome & Introductions
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- fileywhite
- Youth Team

- Posts: 101
- Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:59 pm
Re: Supporting Leeds
Heath - finished Filey- there was no common market fishing policy,( no fish no policy) it was made up when he flew over to sign us in - he abolished our local council and gave us to scarborough and he lied about the ultimate result of us even joining - I wanted cheap booze and fags not a federalist europe - I rather thought that many of my relatives fought in the war to prevent an unelected group of commissioners make our laws :shoot:
Sorry that should have been on drunken rants
Sorry that should have been on drunken rants
FAO- Owners, Managers and Players; you come and go WE are LEEDS
- Dr.Leeds
- Superstar

- Posts: 8966
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 am
- Twitter: @DoctorLeeds
- Location: Sunny Doncaster
Re: Supporting Leeds
What's that got to do with the price of fish?fileywhite wrote:Heath - finished Filey- there was no common market fishing policy,( no fish no policy) it was made up when he flew over to sign us in - he abolished our local council and gave us to scarborough and he lied about the ultimate result of us even joining - I wanted cheap booze and fags not a federalist europe - I rather thought that many of my relatives fought in the war to prevent an unelected group of commissioners make our laws :shoot:
Sorry that should have been on drunken rants
(Sorry...)

- dezzy
- Manager

- Posts: 4249
- Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
- Location: Cork Ireland
Re: Supporting Leeds
Enjiyed reading that post very much, could feel your pride in where you are from. It also shows how important it is for teams to have players from the local area who would have the same pride in where they are from who would give that bit extra for the team. Having said that one of our haredest working players is becchio, mabey you have had a few insperational words with him white.riotwhite.riot wrote:
Elland road dogs was a great night out faaip - did I ever see you there?
Personally I would support a flea in a flea race if it came from Leeds. I would consider it a privilege to support a Leeds whippet in a race and believe anything [other than criminals] from Leeds to be worthy of nothing less than my full support. It's not hard for me - if it's from Leeds I support it whatever it is. I feel even more strongly about Yorkshire. A county which is ingrained in my blood - my tombstone will read 'white.riot Yorkshireman'. Although I left Leeds with the job I have managed to move back within a mile and a half of the old Yorkshire boundary [I hate the Tories for many many things but Heath's decimation of Yorkshire via his boundary review and Thatcher's decimation of mining which put bread on my grandparents tables are top of my list]. I will never forgive the new nicey nicey coalition. I have found peace on the Yorks/Lancs border and cycle in [original] Yorkshire most Sunday's. This is liberating beyond belief. Seeing the white rose when crossing the M62 always makes me puff my chest out. A family not 2 miles from my front door has an original West Riding sign in their front garden. I envy that family and their location just over the border. I hate being out of Yorkshire and dream of moving back to spend my final years within the boundary.
LUFC was easy - I was born in Hunslet, lived in Belle Isle for 20 odd years, my owd fella was a fan and eulogised about our greatest ever player - I never saw John Charles but if my owd fella said he was better than Giles/Bremner etc then he was because my owd fella knew about these things. I have a shocking memory and because I'm a grumpy owd bloke I remember the bad stuff more than the good. First game for me was in 64 - I was privileged to watch Revie's sides. And the most amazing thing I have ever seen was Real Zaragoza in the Fairs Cup. Guys about 5" tall came out, pinged the ball about at breakneck pace and were 3 up inside 15 minutes or so. Jack couldn't even find his black book let alone write in it. Norman was nowhere near biting anyone's leg and our midfield was non existent. The most amazing show of football I can remember and for a young lad life changing. We did eventually get a grip but the damage was done. Revie went on to produce the template for European success which the scousers eventually made their own.
RIP Don Revie - his statue is long overdue and it's time we reclaimed the great man's memory. The media and other fans have had it their own way for far too long. Revie is as good a manager as there has ever been, turning nobody's into a dynasty feared throughout Europe.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155285
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Supporting Leeds
white.riot wrote:
Elland road dogs was a great night out faaip - did I ever see you there?
Personally I would support a flea in a flea race if it came from Leeds. I would consider it a privilege to support a Leeds whippet in a race and believe anything [other than criminals] from Leeds to be worthy of nothing less than my full support. It's not hard for me - if it's from Leeds I support it whatever it is. I feel even more strongly about Yorkshire. A county which is ingrained in my blood - my tombstone will read 'white.riot Yorkshireman'. Although I left Leeds with the job I have managed to move back within a mile and a half of the old Yorkshire boundary [I hate the Tories for many many things but Heath's decimation of Yorkshire via his boundary review and Thatcher's decimation of mining which put bread on my grandparents tables are top of my list]. I will never forgive the new nicey nicey coalition. I have found peace on the Yorks/Lancs border and cycle in [original] Yorkshire most Sunday's. This is liberating beyond belief. Seeing the white rose when crossing the M62 always makes me puff my chest out. A family not 2 miles from my front door has an original West Riding sign in their front garden. I envy that family and their location just over the border. I hate being out of Yorkshire and dream of moving back to spend my final years within the boundary.
LUFC was easy - I was born in Hunslet, lived in Belle Isle for 20 odd years, my owd fella was a fan and eulogised about our greatest ever player - I never saw John Charles but if my owd fella said he was better than Giles/Bremner etc then he was because my owd fella knew about these things. I have a shocking memory and because I'm a grumpy owd bloke I remember the bad stuff more than the good. First game for me was in 64 - I was privileged to watch Revie's sides. And the most amazing thing I have ever seen was Real Zaragoza in the Fairs Cup. Guys about 5" tall came out, pinged the ball about at breakneck pace and were 3 up inside 15 minutes or so. Jack couldn't even find his black book let alone write in it. Norman was nowhere near biting anyone's leg and our midfield was non existent. The most amazing show of football I can remember and for a young lad life changing. We did eventually get a grip but the damage was done. Revie went on to produce the template for European success which the scousers eventually made their own.
RIP Don Revie - his statue is long overdue and it's time we reclaimed the great man's memory. The media and other fans have had it their own way for far too long. Revie is as good a manager as there has ever been, turning nobody's into a dynasty feared throughout Europe.
Great memories
A night out at at the dogs was yet another childhood experience that still lives with me now, the speed of 6 greyhounds racing in unison was always fascinating sight to young eyes
Remember that Zaragoza team, we were never at the races. Glum faces on the long walk back home
My dad also reminded me about the great John Charles too, & insisted he was better than any player from the Revie era, the big fella must have been great to have an acholade like that from my old fella
I love all these different stories :thup:
-
ArmleyWhite
Re: Supporting Leeds
For those that may be interested???? I have that on my wall, it was part of the RAF's survey of the UK and was taken in 1949. Leeds V Barnsley and Leeds won 4-1!Twiggster wrote:Elland Road, when I first started going!![]()
(posted on Leodis.net)
Edit: that's way before I started going...just noticed the floodlights were not built yet, on that pic. The lights were first used in 1953..the year I was born!
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79063
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Supporting Leeds
I really miss waccoes' wry smilie, which would have been perfect for that first line. and I know your opinions on the grammar police, but I can't help thinking (lets call it a conceit) that you were going for 5 foot tall, but the image of 5 inch players(running rings around Charlton et al) kinda tickled mewhite.riot wrote:
Elland road dogs was a great night out faaip - did I ever see you there?
First game for me was in 64 - I was privileged to watch Revie's sides. And the most amazing thing I have ever seen was Real Zaragoza in the Fairs Cup. Guys about 5" tall came out, pinged the ball about at breakneck pace and were 3 up inside 15 minutes or so. Jack couldn't even find his black book let alone write in it. Norman was nowhere near biting anyone's leg and our midfield was non existent. The most amazing show of football I can remember and for a young lad life changing. We did eventually get a grip but the damage was done. Revie went on to produce the template for European success which the scousers eventually made their own.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- Martyn
- Superstar

- Posts: 10635
- Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
- Twitter: @MartynStead
- Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Re: Supporting Leeds
white.riot wrote:
Elland road dogs was a great night out faaip - did I ever see you there?
Personally I would support a flea in a flea race if it came from Leeds. I would consider it a privilege to support a Leeds whippet in a race and believe anything [other than criminals] from Leeds to be worthy of nothing less than my full support. It's not hard for me - if it's from Leeds I support it whatever it is. I feel even more strongly about Yorkshire. A county which is ingrained in my blood - my tombstone will read 'white.riot Yorkshireman'. Although I left Leeds with the job I have managed to move back within a mile and a half of the old Yorkshire boundary [I hate the Tories for many many things but Heath's decimation of Yorkshire via his boundary review and Thatcher's decimation of mining which put bread on my grandparents tables are top of my list]. I will never forgive the new nicey nicey coalition. I have found peace on the Yorks/Lancs border and cycle in [original] Yorkshire most Sunday's. This is liberating beyond belief. Seeing the white rose when crossing the M62 always makes me puff my chest out. A family not 2 miles from my front door has an original West Riding sign in their front garden. I envy that family and their location just over the border. I hate being out of Yorkshire and dream of moving back to spend my final years within the boundary.
LUFC was easy - I was born in Hunslet, lived in Belle Isle for 20 odd years, my owd fella was a fan and eulogised about our greatest ever player - I never saw John Charles but if my owd fella said he was better than Giles/Bremner etc then he was because my owd fella knew about these things. I have a shocking memory and because I'm a grumpy owd bloke I remember the bad stuff more than the good. First game for me was in 64 - I was privileged to watch Revie's sides. And the most amazing thing I have ever seen was Real Zaragoza in the Fairs Cup. Guys about 5" tall came out, pinged the ball about at breakneck pace and were 3 up inside 15 minutes or so. Jack couldn't even find his black book let alone write in it. Norman was nowhere near biting anyone's leg and our midfield was non existent. The most amazing show of football I can remember and for a young lad life changing. We did eventually get a grip but the damage was done. Revie went on to produce the template for European success which the scousers eventually made their own.
RIP Don Revie - his statue is long overdue and it's time we reclaimed the great man's memory. The media and other fans have had it their own way for far too long. Revie is as good a manager as there has ever been, turning nobody's into a dynasty feared throughout Europe.
Great stuff riot - I lived in Sale, Greater Scumchester for far too long and I also used to feel that surge of optimism and sense of coming home at the top of the M62 when I reached the white rose. It doesn't have quite the same impact coming up the M1.
Do you remember the old hard shiny toilet paper in schools with WRCC printed on?
You tell that to the youth of today, and will they believe you??
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
- Dr.Leeds
- Superstar

- Posts: 8966
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 am
- Twitter: @DoctorLeeds
- Location: Sunny Doncaster
Re: Supporting Leeds
While, at 38, I am old enough and grumpy enough to have experienced said anal atrocity and be fully aware that the kids of today don't know they are born I've not yet felt the need to illustrate the point by regaling my children with stories of how I used to have to wipe my arse with a strange hybrid if tracing paper and razor blades.Guildford White wrote: Do you remember the old hard shiny toilet paper in schools with WRCC printed on?
You tell that to the youth of today, and will they believe you??

-
ArmleyWhite
Re: Supporting Leeds
Not to mention the fact it was zero absorbent and slid half way up your back whilst in use. :shocked:Dr.Leeds wrote: While, at 38, I am old enough and grumpy enough to have experienced said anal atrocity and be fully aware that the kids of today don't know they are born I've not yet felt the need to illustrate the point by regaling my children with stories of how I used to have to wipe my arse with a strange hybrid if tracing paper and razor blades.
- Martyn
- Superstar

- Posts: 10635
- Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
- Twitter: @MartynStead
- Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Re: Supporting Leeds
But you're probably benefitting professionally from the generation of kids who regularly lacerated their anal sphincters. Every cloud has a silver lining, huh?Dr.Leeds wrote: While, at 38, I am old enough and grumpy enough to have experienced said anal atrocity and be fully aware that the kids of today don't know they are born I've not yet felt the need to illustrate the point by regaling my children with stories of how I used to have to wipe my arse with a strange hybrid if tracing paper and razor blades.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: Supporting Leeds
Never had toilet paper when I was at W.Leeds, Si....we had the YEP cut into squares. Mum thought I was ill, cos of the black newsprint skid marks in my undies!
Mind you - the bogs were mainly used for smoking in, rather than for their intended purpose!
Mind you - the bogs were mainly used for smoking in, rather than for their intended purpose!
-
revie-era
- First Team

- Posts: 1571
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:37 pm
Re: Supporting Leeds
My recollections of supporting Leeds:
The first ever game my dad took me to was at Turf Moor, Burnley v Sunderland 1964/65, mum went to see a friend over there so we went to the game whilst mum smoked a few fags with her mate.
About that time a mate bought a comic and inside was a black and white freebie bout Association Football eulogising about Arsenal and M** U**, and in particular Best, Charlton and Law. I started taking an interest although TV coverage was poor in those days, cant remember when MOTD started but I was too young to stay up and watch it.
Anyway, despite all this coverage in comics and whatnot about teams in red, another older friend came back from town one day with a scarf. This, dear reader, was no ordinary scarf. It was predominantly white, but had blue and yellow bars every now and then along its length. I was smitten and made enquiries as to its origins - "New team, Rich, just come up from't second division, called Leeds, -Leeds United, they've got this nutter plays for 'em called Collins, bout your size but kicks other team all ovver t'pitch"
And that was it. Watched in black and white as we lost the Cup Final to Liverpool. First home game was the season after v Sheffield Utd, and more or less from then until Clough became manager I went to most home games with dad. We stood at the top of the Kop, and moved to under the huge floodlights in what is now the NE Lower. Occasionally we'd go to Burnley if mum went over to see her friend. We also had friends who lived in Sheffield and supported Wednedsay so every season we'd go to Hillsborough to watch us play there. We sat (!!) in the Upper deck in the Leppings Lane........
I mention the Clough thing, as dad refused to go again after he was appointed manager, he even refused to go to the European Cup Semi Final v Barcelona, but I'm happy to say I was privilidged to see the mighty Cruyff play at Elland Road.
Throughout the remainder of the 70's and into the wild 80's I went with mates and stood on the Kop, witnessed some unbelieveable matches.
I know its a cliche, but this Club just has an aura about it, something other clubs just don't "get". No one outside our circle understands the ethos of our club, - its history - good and bad. When we had the 15 pt deduction I sent an e mail to Sky which was read out. I tried to explain the ethos/history of our Club (something I'm sure WR could have done better), and made the point that no ex Leeds player ever says anything detrimental about the Club, its fans or the facilities the players here enjoy. Indeed, I can only remember ex players having nothing but praise and feeling proud to have played here.
To finish;
I have a few books written about Leeds, I would recommend two:
The Unforgiven - Rob Bagchi and Paul Rogerson, and
Fanthology - Rob Endeacott and Graeme Garvey. This is a collection of annecdotes/ripping yarns etc collated from Leeds fans on their stories of following Leeds United. I swear you'll be wiping away the odd tear as you read it.
PS
Couldn't begin to say which was my favourite game, lowest low, etc etc
but my favourite player was Billy Bremner, he epitomised everything this Club stood/stands for. The underdog fighting for everything, never giving in, seeking no praise, playing as if every game were his last. Yet on the occasions he recieved a winners medal, gracious, courteous (watch him recieve the FA Cup from the Queen), and honoured to be Captain of The Mighty Leeds United
The first ever game my dad took me to was at Turf Moor, Burnley v Sunderland 1964/65, mum went to see a friend over there so we went to the game whilst mum smoked a few fags with her mate.
About that time a mate bought a comic and inside was a black and white freebie bout Association Football eulogising about Arsenal and M** U**, and in particular Best, Charlton and Law. I started taking an interest although TV coverage was poor in those days, cant remember when MOTD started but I was too young to stay up and watch it.
Anyway, despite all this coverage in comics and whatnot about teams in red, another older friend came back from town one day with a scarf. This, dear reader, was no ordinary scarf. It was predominantly white, but had blue and yellow bars every now and then along its length. I was smitten and made enquiries as to its origins - "New team, Rich, just come up from't second division, called Leeds, -Leeds United, they've got this nutter plays for 'em called Collins, bout your size but kicks other team all ovver t'pitch"
And that was it. Watched in black and white as we lost the Cup Final to Liverpool. First home game was the season after v Sheffield Utd, and more or less from then until Clough became manager I went to most home games with dad. We stood at the top of the Kop, and moved to under the huge floodlights in what is now the NE Lower. Occasionally we'd go to Burnley if mum went over to see her friend. We also had friends who lived in Sheffield and supported Wednedsay so every season we'd go to Hillsborough to watch us play there. We sat (!!) in the Upper deck in the Leppings Lane........
I mention the Clough thing, as dad refused to go again after he was appointed manager, he even refused to go to the European Cup Semi Final v Barcelona, but I'm happy to say I was privilidged to see the mighty Cruyff play at Elland Road.
Throughout the remainder of the 70's and into the wild 80's I went with mates and stood on the Kop, witnessed some unbelieveable matches.
I know its a cliche, but this Club just has an aura about it, something other clubs just don't "get". No one outside our circle understands the ethos of our club, - its history - good and bad. When we had the 15 pt deduction I sent an e mail to Sky which was read out. I tried to explain the ethos/history of our Club (something I'm sure WR could have done better), and made the point that no ex Leeds player ever says anything detrimental about the Club, its fans or the facilities the players here enjoy. Indeed, I can only remember ex players having nothing but praise and feeling proud to have played here.
To finish;
I have a few books written about Leeds, I would recommend two:
The Unforgiven - Rob Bagchi and Paul Rogerson, and
Fanthology - Rob Endeacott and Graeme Garvey. This is a collection of annecdotes/ripping yarns etc collated from Leeds fans on their stories of following Leeds United. I swear you'll be wiping away the odd tear as you read it.
PS
Couldn't begin to say which was my favourite game, lowest low, etc etc
but my favourite player was Billy Bremner, he epitomised everything this Club stood/stands for. The underdog fighting for everything, never giving in, seeking no praise, playing as if every game were his last. Yet on the occasions he recieved a winners medal, gracious, courteous (watch him recieve the FA Cup from the Queen), and honoured to be Captain of The Mighty Leeds United
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: Supporting Leeds
Well done to '64, for starting this thread - absolutely fascinating reading all the posts. :thup:
Frightening though - I could have been standing shoulder to shoulder at Elland Road with so many people on here, back in the 60's and 70's!
What we older fans have been through, supporting Leeds eh?
But at least we experienced the absolute joy of the Glory Years, amongst the heartbreak and the years in the lower divisions.
I am full of admiration for the younger/newer fans of our club though. Possibly some have only known the "post ridsdale era" of Leeds United...yet they have made their choice and stuck with us. I know a few Aussie fans who started supporting us because of judas and Viduka, but they have stuck with us and all credit to them.
As Revie-Era posted above...no ex players have ever said anything bad about Leeds - there is something about this club that is so addictive!
Our fans selling out almost every away allocation in the third chuffing division, for three years! Bigger average home crowds than some Prem clubs - in the third division!
No wonder the press and the FA hate us! :mrgreen:
As the saying goes.....
ON ON ON!
:scarf1: :scarf2:
Frightening though - I could have been standing shoulder to shoulder at Elland Road with so many people on here, back in the 60's and 70's!
But at least we experienced the absolute joy of the Glory Years, amongst the heartbreak and the years in the lower divisions.
I am full of admiration for the younger/newer fans of our club though. Possibly some have only known the "post ridsdale era" of Leeds United...yet they have made their choice and stuck with us. I know a few Aussie fans who started supporting us because of judas and Viduka, but they have stuck with us and all credit to them.
As Revie-Era posted above...no ex players have ever said anything bad about Leeds - there is something about this club that is so addictive!
Our fans selling out almost every away allocation in the third chuffing division, for three years! Bigger average home crowds than some Prem clubs - in the third division!
No wonder the press and the FA hate us! :mrgreen:
As the saying goes.....
ON ON ON!
- Baby Lemonade
- Reserve Player

- Posts: 372
- Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:08 am
Re: Supporting Leeds
Began spporting Leeds sometime in the mid-late 70's, not sure exactly when or why, there is no history of Leeds fans in my family, in fact my dad hated and still hates football, my Grandma was the only football fan in the family, and she supported Forest and Ipswich, yes when they were winning things, right glory hunter she was!
All my mates at school were the usual scum and Liverpool, with the odd Everton and Spurs, I was just about the only Leeds fan in my year, whilst my mates were Coppell or Dalglish on the school field I was Hird or Hamson or if I was feeling flash Sabella.
I think the main reason I became Leeds was for nothing more than simply liking the kit, I remember afore-mentioned Gran wanting to buy me a football kit for Christmas and asking me which one I wanted, I looked at a Panini sticker book or something like and said I like the white one with the bits of blue and yellow on, who is that? Leeds, that'll do. I had no idea who they were, where Leeds was or that they had a couple of years earlier been very successful. Sounds shameful but that's the truth, not the usual reason for following a football team but there you go. Thank the lord I didn't fancy the red one with the bits of black and white on!
My first game was against Liverpool in about 1979, it was a 0-0 draw and I seem to recall Kevin Hird hitting the bar or post at the Gelderd end, but I may have dreamt it. I was in the Liverpool fans in the Lowfields (I was with my Liverpool supporting uncle and my pleas for him to take me into the home end fell on deaf ears) in the pen next to the home fans. Unbeknown to my uncle I had sneakily put on my Leeds sweatbands and concealed them under my jacket sleeves, I felt slightly rebellious.
I remember a barrage of missiles raining over from the home fans to my right, including batteries, and a snooker ball, being an away fan at Elland Road in those days was not a nice place to be, I found it exciting though and longed to be in amongst the home fans.
I was hooked and a life of football related misery lay ahead.
All my mates at school were the usual scum and Liverpool, with the odd Everton and Spurs, I was just about the only Leeds fan in my year, whilst my mates were Coppell or Dalglish on the school field I was Hird or Hamson or if I was feeling flash Sabella.
I think the main reason I became Leeds was for nothing more than simply liking the kit, I remember afore-mentioned Gran wanting to buy me a football kit for Christmas and asking me which one I wanted, I looked at a Panini sticker book or something like and said I like the white one with the bits of blue and yellow on, who is that? Leeds, that'll do. I had no idea who they were, where Leeds was or that they had a couple of years earlier been very successful. Sounds shameful but that's the truth, not the usual reason for following a football team but there you go. Thank the lord I didn't fancy the red one with the bits of black and white on!
My first game was against Liverpool in about 1979, it was a 0-0 draw and I seem to recall Kevin Hird hitting the bar or post at the Gelderd end, but I may have dreamt it. I was in the Liverpool fans in the Lowfields (I was with my Liverpool supporting uncle and my pleas for him to take me into the home end fell on deaf ears) in the pen next to the home fans. Unbeknown to my uncle I had sneakily put on my Leeds sweatbands and concealed them under my jacket sleeves, I felt slightly rebellious.
I remember a barrage of missiles raining over from the home fans to my right, including batteries, and a snooker ball, being an away fan at Elland Road in those days was not a nice place to be, I found it exciting though and longed to be in amongst the home fans.
I was hooked and a life of football related misery lay ahead.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155285
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Supporting Leeds
So many fascinating stories, pictures & wonderful memories
This thread is one that i could read from start to finish again & again, hopefully this topic never ends as more Leeds fans reveal their passion for our beloved club
This thread ought to be stored in safe keeping, in other words wrapped up in gold paper with white, blue & yellow bows attatched
Thank you everyone for making this thread so very special to all us Leeds United fans
MOT
This thread is one that i could read from start to finish again & again, hopefully this topic never ends as more Leeds fans reveal their passion for our beloved club
This thread ought to be stored in safe keeping, in other words wrapped up in gold paper with white, blue & yellow bows attatched
Thank you everyone for making this thread so very special to all us Leeds United fans
MOT
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: Supporting Leeds
Rest assured Leon mate - if this thread looks like falling off the page, it will be moved to the "MOT Classic Threads" forum, for posterity. :thup:
I've enjoyed this thread so much, I'm thinking of asking my GGL listeners to post in why they became Leeds fans. My main audience is obviously based in the USA - I'm curious as to how the heck does an American get involved with Leeds?
Keep the replies coming on MOT folks, please!
I've enjoyed this thread so much, I'm thinking of asking my GGL listeners to post in why they became Leeds fans. My main audience is obviously based in the USA - I'm curious as to how the heck does an American get involved with Leeds?
Keep the replies coming on MOT folks, please!
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155285
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Supporting Leeds
We've already had our American/Australian friends on here give their reasons for their support of Leeds United, the more the merrier i say, yes keep them coming.Twiggster wrote:Rest assured Leon mate - if this thread looks like falling off the page, it will be moved to the "MOT Classic Threads" forum, for posterity. :thup:
I've enjoyed this thread so much, I'm thinking of asking my GGL listeners to post in why they became Leeds fans. My main audience is obviously based in the USA - I'm curious as to how the heck does an American get involved with Leeds?![]()
Keep the replies coming on MOT folks, please!![]()
Glad to hear the thread is to be kept for posterity, top of the classic threads i suggest
- Crude
- Superstar

- Posts: 5674
- Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:43 pm
- Location: 'Merica
Re: Supporting Leeds
Twiggs, if you want to use my reply on GGL, feel free.Twiggster wrote:Rest assured Leon mate - if this thread looks like falling off the page, it will be moved to the "MOT Classic Threads" forum, for posterity. :thup:
I've enjoyed this thread so much, I'm thinking of asking my GGL listeners to post in why they became Leeds fans. My main audience is obviously based in the USA - I'm curious as to how the heck does an American get involved with Leeds?![]()
Keep the replies coming on MOT folks, please!![]()
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023
Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000
Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000
Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
- HarryofOz
- Superstar

- Posts: 16442
- Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am
Re: Supporting Leeds
The first time ever I saw the Whites
(1st few paragraphs are a repeat of what I've already said, but they are part of the lead in).
I began supporting Leeds at the tender age of fourteen. Until then I had only followed the local game in South Africa. My team was known as Cape Town City. They went bust and out of existence in 1979 – sound familiar? But that’s an aside.
My mate who got me interested in the world game – England style – was a Leeds supporter (his mum was from Leeds) and I followed suit.
I followed Leeds from afar for many years. In those days reading my Shoot and listening to the BBC world service on a Saturday afternoon. Remember when all games kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday. Occasionally we got to see pirated copies of ‘Match of the day’ what with the boycotts against South Africa and all. We did get the FA Cup final live, but Leeds never quite made it.
In 1988 I moved to Australia and got my first taste of regular English (highlight shows and FA cup finals only) and world football via the television screen. Of course it took a few years for Leeds themselves to make to the top flight.
With the advent of Pay-TV, I finally got a regular dosage of live football from the premier league and got to see the mighty whites on many an occasion. We were going well in those days.
And then the ultimate (at this point in my Leeds supporting life anyway), Leeds announced that they were coming to play in Melbourne, Australia in a pre-season friendly. My mate and I decided to fly to Melbourne for the rare opportunity to watch the one and only Leeds United in action.
Finally the big day arrived – Saturday 27 July 2002. My mate and I flew down on the Saturday morning and booked ourselves into the hotel – the same hotel as the Leeds lads were staying.
Who’s that? Wow, its Eirik Bakke and Dominic Matteo – I can’t believe I am so close to my heroes, footballers who play for Leeds United – this is just great. A bit gushy for a 38-year-old, but I couldn’t help myself. Unfortunately they had disappeared before we could get their autographs.
But we didn’t give up, we hung around and waited. The first player saw was Lucas Radebe limping up the stairs. He gladly signed my book and my mate’s shirt. Soon the autographs were flowing – Harte, Venables, Fowler, Keane, Woodgate, Viduka, Bowyer (more on that later), Kewell (just scrawled initials and not his proper signature naturally), Gray (the great man himself), Duberry, Wilcox, Robinson, Dacourt and more.
While getting Bowyer to sign my autograph book I said ‘Lee mate, there’s just one more thing I’d like you to sign.’ He just laughed, the ba***rd, and soon left Elland Road without putting pen to a new contract.
But on to the match itself. Sitting there with the feeling of excitement welling up inside of me. I had to pinch myself – I can’t believe this I am going to see Leeds live. Live! Live! Who cares if it’s a friendly, its Leeds live !!!!!!!!
The stadium sound system swelled to the sound of ‘Marching on together’ and I sang at the top of my voice, sang with pride and heart-felt pleasure. Never mind that I was the only one in the immediate vicinity doing so – Aussies don’t sing like English football fans.
And at last the game began. It began very brightly for Leeds with Bowyer, Bakke, McPhail, Smith and Kewell in fine form. Culminating in a wonder goal for Leeds by Kewell to give us a 1-0 half time lead. Leeds! Leeds! Leeds! Leeds! Leeds! Leeds! Leeds! We held on to win by that solitary goal, thanks to an excellent performance by Paul Robinson in the Leeds goal.
The final whistle blew, Leeds had won. But that was beside the point (though a great bonus). I had finally done it; I had seen Leeds United Association Football Club live in action in front of my very eyes.
I stood an applauded till my hands hurt as the players did a lap of honour. Once again singing the words of ‘Marching on together’ as loud as I could.
What an experience, what a great time, what a privilege, what a honour, what a fantastic feeling. My first time! And as it turned out, not my last as soon as I was to travel to England and see Leeds at their home ground of Elland Road...but that's for another post
(1st few paragraphs are a repeat of what I've already said, but they are part of the lead in).
I began supporting Leeds at the tender age of fourteen. Until then I had only followed the local game in South Africa. My team was known as Cape Town City. They went bust and out of existence in 1979 – sound familiar? But that’s an aside.
My mate who got me interested in the world game – England style – was a Leeds supporter (his mum was from Leeds) and I followed suit.
I followed Leeds from afar for many years. In those days reading my Shoot and listening to the BBC world service on a Saturday afternoon. Remember when all games kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday. Occasionally we got to see pirated copies of ‘Match of the day’ what with the boycotts against South Africa and all. We did get the FA Cup final live, but Leeds never quite made it.
In 1988 I moved to Australia and got my first taste of regular English (highlight shows and FA cup finals only) and world football via the television screen. Of course it took a few years for Leeds themselves to make to the top flight.
With the advent of Pay-TV, I finally got a regular dosage of live football from the premier league and got to see the mighty whites on many an occasion. We were going well in those days.
And then the ultimate (at this point in my Leeds supporting life anyway), Leeds announced that they were coming to play in Melbourne, Australia in a pre-season friendly. My mate and I decided to fly to Melbourne for the rare opportunity to watch the one and only Leeds United in action.
Finally the big day arrived – Saturday 27 July 2002. My mate and I flew down on the Saturday morning and booked ourselves into the hotel – the same hotel as the Leeds lads were staying.
Who’s that? Wow, its Eirik Bakke and Dominic Matteo – I can’t believe I am so close to my heroes, footballers who play for Leeds United – this is just great. A bit gushy for a 38-year-old, but I couldn’t help myself. Unfortunately they had disappeared before we could get their autographs.
But we didn’t give up, we hung around and waited. The first player saw was Lucas Radebe limping up the stairs. He gladly signed my book and my mate’s shirt. Soon the autographs were flowing – Harte, Venables, Fowler, Keane, Woodgate, Viduka, Bowyer (more on that later), Kewell (just scrawled initials and not his proper signature naturally), Gray (the great man himself), Duberry, Wilcox, Robinson, Dacourt and more.
While getting Bowyer to sign my autograph book I said ‘Lee mate, there’s just one more thing I’d like you to sign.’ He just laughed, the ba***rd, and soon left Elland Road without putting pen to a new contract.
But on to the match itself. Sitting there with the feeling of excitement welling up inside of me. I had to pinch myself – I can’t believe this I am going to see Leeds live. Live! Live! Who cares if it’s a friendly, its Leeds live !!!!!!!!
The stadium sound system swelled to the sound of ‘Marching on together’ and I sang at the top of my voice, sang with pride and heart-felt pleasure. Never mind that I was the only one in the immediate vicinity doing so – Aussies don’t sing like English football fans.
And at last the game began. It began very brightly for Leeds with Bowyer, Bakke, McPhail, Smith and Kewell in fine form. Culminating in a wonder goal for Leeds by Kewell to give us a 1-0 half time lead. Leeds! Leeds! Leeds! Leeds! Leeds! Leeds! Leeds! We held on to win by that solitary goal, thanks to an excellent performance by Paul Robinson in the Leeds goal.
The final whistle blew, Leeds had won. But that was beside the point (though a great bonus). I had finally done it; I had seen Leeds United Association Football Club live in action in front of my very eyes.
I stood an applauded till my hands hurt as the players did a lap of honour. Once again singing the words of ‘Marching on together’ as loud as I could.
What an experience, what a great time, what a privilege, what a honour, what a fantastic feeling. My first time! And as it turned out, not my last as soon as I was to travel to England and see Leeds at their home ground of Elland Road...but that's for another post
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.

