O/T - The movies / Television thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155402
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: It wouldn't be Christmas/New Year in Australia if the Sound of Music wasn't on telly - and I watch it nearly every year

I did mention that I really enjoy reading and 'Where eagles dare' is one of the few movies that I have seen that has stuck closely to the book's storyline and for that reason I enjoyed it as well.

Usually I have to read a book again after I've seen the movie to get back the enjoyment I got from reading it after the movie has totally destroyed it.
Me too Harry

Glad you are with me on Where Eagles Dare, great cast too
User avatar
billie1
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1299
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by billie1 »

Great thread , hope it's as popular as the music one.

Movies ( no particular order)

Almost Famous
Godfather Parts 1 and 2
Goodfellas
Heat
The Longest Day
Mystic River
Downfall
Collateral
All the Presidents Men
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
A Few Good Men
United 93
True Romance
Laurel and Hardy ( numerous )
Hitchcock (numerous)

TV

Dads Army
Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads
The Office ( UK version)

Dislikes

All soaps
All reality shows

Guilty Pleasures

Mamma Mia ( C'mon who can resist Pierce Brosnan singing !)
Shall We Dance ( Richard Gere / J.Lo )
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by Twiggster »

Great O/T thread! :thup:

FILMS (the ones I never tire of seeing again): All the Peter Sellers "Pink Panther" series....NO comedy films have ever come close - All the Sean Connery "James Bond" films...Connery WAS James Bond - ALL of Mel Brook's films..totally OTT and brilliantly arranged and produced - Easy Rider and Woodstock for the music and because they typify the youth situation in the late 1960's - Most of the films that Ed Wood directed...film noir at its freakiest and regularly featuring the acting genius that was Bela Lugosi - "Spaghetti Westerns"! I love 'em! :mrgreen: - "Good Morning Vietnam"...my favourite Robin Williams role - and on to my favourite director....David Lynch.
So weird, he is brilliant! From "Eraserhead" and "Elephant man", through "Dune" to "Inland Empire", he has consistently produced disturbingly yet brilliant movies...tho none so good as my favourite film EVER..."Wild at Heart". Pairing off Nick Cage with Laura Dearn in a gripping but strange story and adding probably the best musical background ever in any film. I have seen this film over 30 times and I still see something new, every time I watch it!

T.V: Mostly comedy....TeleGoons, Hancock's ½ Hour", "TWTWTW", "The Rowan and Martin Laugh In", "The Good Life", "On the Buses", "2 Ronnies", "Porridge", "Curry and Chips", "Til Death us do Part", "Dad's Army", "Allo Allo", "Black Adder", "Monty P", "Fawlty Towers", "Reggie Perrin", "Up Pompeii"...and so many more that I could fill pages listing them! :-D
Away from comedy, other t.v. favourites have been "The Prisoner" "The Saint", "Blake's 7", "Star Trek and S.T. Voyager", the first 5 years of "Dr Who", "V" was fantastic - then "Magpie" (WAY better than Blue Peter!), "Do Not Adjust Your Set" (featuring the amazing Bonzo Dog DooDah Band!), "Ready Steady GO!"..the best music show EVER! "Old Grey Whistle Test"...2ND best music show ever....
But the most enthralling, compelling and NOT TO BE MISSED t.v. I have ever watched...."Twin Peaks"! Lynch again, weaving his whacky magyk.... :thup:



User avatar
billie1
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1299
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by billie1 »

1964white wrote:
Me too Harry

Watched " Where Eagles Dare" on my iphone on holiday . I tried to keep count of the amount of bodies Clint leaves behind but gave up.Greaaaat film . I see that Ingrid Pitt who played Heidi died a couple of days ago.
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by dezzy »

Cool thread think my taste is far different than all ye :oops:
T.V shows would be inbetweeners, most cooking shows (not come dine with me) and whatever the girlfriend makes me watch!

Like watching any decent movies and have a good few on this thread that I must watch, but top few would be

Fight club, Forest Gump, The Godfather, dumb n dumber, pulp fiction, trainspotting,
Not saying these are anywhere near best but a few I like, generally like most films
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
User avatar
billie1
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1299
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by billie1 »

billie1 wrote:Great thread , hope it's as popular as the music one.

Movies ( no particular order)

Almost Famous
Godfather Parts 1 and 2
Goodfellas
Heat
The Longest Day
Mystic River
Downfall
Collateral
All the Presidents Men
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
A Few Good Men
United 93
True Romance
Laurel and Hardy ( numerous )
Hitchcock (numerous)

TV

Dads Army
Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads
The Office ( UK version)

Dislikes

All soaps
All reality shows

Guilty Pleasures

Mamma Mia ( C'mon who can resist Pierce Brosnan singing !)
Shall We Dance ( Richard Gere / J.Lo )
I forgot to mention Top Cat ! " Ok boys let's mingle, mingle, mingle !

User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155402
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by 1964white »

billie1 wrote:Great thread , hope it's as popular as the music one.

Movies ( no particular order)

Almost Famous
Godfather Parts 1 and 2
Goodfellas
Heat
The Longest Day
Mystic River
Downfall
Collateral
All the Presidents Men
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
A Few Good Men
United 93
True Romance
Laurel and Hardy ( numerous )
Hitchcock (numerous)

TV

Dads Army
Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads
The Office ( UK version)

Dislikes

All soaps
All reality shows

Guilty Pleasures

Mamma Mia ( C'mon who can resist Pierce Brosnan singing !)
Shall We Dance ( Richard Gere / J.Lo )
Some great stuff there, forgot about Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

Can you remember a similar tv version Alias Smith & Jones featuring Pete Duel & Ben Murphy :?:

Hitchcock films are classics
User avatar
billie1
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1299
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by billie1 »

1964white wrote: Some great stuff there, forgot about Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

Can you remember a similar tv version Alias Smith & Jones featuring Pete Duel & Ben Murphy :?:

Hitchcock films are classics
I do remember Alias Smith and Jones ( seem to remember Griff Rees and Mel did a show called Alas Smith and Jones) back in the 70's ? Pete Duel committed suicide I think ? Newman and Redford were simply brilliant together and WHAT a screenplay by Willliam Goldman .
User avatar
CSA
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:46 pm
Location: South Leeds.

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by CSA »

DOWNFALL is a great film

Some good film comedies include.

BLAZING SADDLES... (TIMELESS HUMOUR) 'THE SHERIFF IS A N.........
MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL....(CLASSIC PYTHON) 'I LL ASK HIM BUT HE'S ALREADY GOT ONE'
RITA SUE AND BOB TOO...(GRITTY NORTHERN HUMOUR) 'IT'S A RUBBER JOHNNY'....WHATS THAT FOR ??
SHAUN OF THE DEAD....(PISS FUNNY ZOMBIE FEST) 'IT'S GOT AND ARM OFF'
Image
revie-era
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1571
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by revie-era »

Ah Hitchcock, great stuff
My faves in no paticular order:

Dial M For Murder
Birds
Psycho
To Catch a Thief
Rebecca
revie-era
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1571
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by revie-era »

Couple more films just come to mind:

Serpico
Insomnia

both of course starring the superb Al Pcino
User avatar
billie1
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1299
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by billie1 »

revie-era wrote:Ah Hitchcock, great stuff
My faves in no paticular order:

Dial M For Murder
Birds
Psycho
To Catch a Thief
Rebecca
Dial M was truely superb but then Grace Kelly was never better ( brilliant as well in Rear Window ).I was watching Dr No the other day and realised that the guy who gets the sissors plunged in his back by Kelly in Dial M was also shot by Sean Connery . Years and years ago I spent a few days in Monaco in the vain hope I might catch a glimse of her . Sadly I didn't .

My favourite Hitch's are

Dial M
Rear Window
Vertigo
North by Northwest
Saboteur
The Wrong Man
Frenzy
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4456
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:41 pm
Twitter: @EirikOstrem
Location: A place you cant afford to live

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by MeeTa »

tv shows:

- the big bang theory
- numb3rs
-24
- how i met your mother
- supernatural
- Ncis
- Ncis LA
- Criminal Minds
- Storm Chasers
- Man vs Nature and a numerous other discovery programs
- Couger Town
- Friends
- IT crowd
hmmm probaly a few more ive forgotten
Image
User avatar
revieboy
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:08 pm
Location: town full of Leeds fans just a town full of leeds fans

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by revieboy »

Yeah I love Where Eagles Dare, still a great film to watch nowadays. I watched it last Christmas Day.

Off top of my head..

Favourite Films in no particular order

Pulp Fiction - although my appreciation has faded but when it came out it was something else.
Birdman Of Alcatraz - timeless black and white classic
Green Mile - one of the best films of the past 20 years
Jean D'Florette/Manon Des Sources - two classic French films
Ghostbusters - just loved it on the cinema
Trading Places - one of my favourite comedies and a brilliant one to watch at Christmas
The Fog - original 1970s version
Goodfellas
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
Stalingrad - great war film from the German point of view
Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait - film focusing on Zidane through entire match when he played for Real. Sounds boring but you understand his talent as he displays a faultless performance of teamwork
Groundhog Day - brilliant film and idea

Favourite TV Series/Comedies

24 - maybe one series too many but still addictive
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Larry Sanders Show - brilliant satire of a chat show
Seinfeld
Peep Show
Black Books
Blackadder
Fawlty Towers
Monty Python
The Mighty Boosh
Only Fools And Horses
Open All Hours - filmed just round the corner from me
Red Dwarf
User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 16442
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by HarryofOz »

dezzy wrote:Cool thread think my taste is far different than all ye :oops:
T.V shows would be inbetweeners, most cooking shows (not come dine with me) and whatever the girlfriend makes me watch!

Like watching any decent movies and have a good few on this thread that I must watch, but top few would be

Fight club, Forest Gump, The Godfather, dumb n dumber, pulp fiction, trainspotting,
Not saying these are anywhere near best but a few I like, generally like most films
Godfather is top notch as is pulp fiction - how sexy is Uma Thurman?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 16442
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by HarryofOz »

My favourite movie musical is Hair
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
User avatar
JonTheBassist
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1070
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:35 pm
Location: South Africa

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by JonTheBassist »

Hmmmm, i think i must look out for 'Where Eagles Dare', it must be pretty good if so many of you folk are raving about it ey?

I see a lot of you are also V fans...have you seen the new series? I watched the first season and thought it was great :)

Another thing - I watched The Damned United recently and thought it was pretty good. I hear though that Cloughs wife was saying that its an inaccurate portrayal of the man. What are your thoughts on that?
User avatar
revieboy
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:08 pm
Location: town full of Leeds fans just a town full of leeds fans

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by revieboy »

Didnt rate the film at all, you must read the book.

I feel in some ways he was a caricature of Clough but the film generally failed to show that Cloughie was a warm hearted man in reality, he like his drink and he created a public persona that maybe the film tries to portray. I only remember Clough in his older days at Forest when he was a respected father figure. Look beyond 44 days, a fraction of his life and dismiss his errors at our club.

I feel Clough justifies a film dedicated to his life, but who would play him?
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by dezzy »

HarryofOz wrote: Godfather is top notch as is pulp fiction - how sexy is Uma Thurman?
Uma Thurman is pretty hot love her in Kill Bill more tho.. Like a dominant woman :twisted:
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
User avatar
matt leeds
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1282
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Doncaster

Re: O/T - The movies / Television thread

Post by matt leeds »

I like films like Snatch
Lock Stock
Layer Cake
Green Street
Mean Machine
and the likes of Transporter
The Matrix
then some of my old favourites Back To The Future
Lampoons

I love funny films and especially like Will Ferrell, Step Brothers being a good one!
Adam Sandler films are good with Happy Gilmour being my fave of his.

Cant think of anymore off the top of my head but I will add to this thread again later.
Leeds is in my blood, always will be.

Going Up, Going Up, Leeds are going up, na na na na na na na na
Post Reply