Socrates dead at 57
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- billie1
- First Team

- Posts: 1299
- Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
- Location: Gloucestershire
Socrates dead at 57
Sad news . A true great and part of the 82 Brazilian side along with Junior , Eder and of course Zico .
Last edited by billie1 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155191
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Socrates dead at 57
More sad news, a great world class playerbillie1 wrote:Sad news . A true great and part of the 82 Brazilian side along with Junior , Eder and of course Zico .
RIP Socrates
On a personal note, we lost one of the stalwarts of our Bowls Club this week. John was a big influence on the improvement of my game with his useful advice he had drawn from all his experience over many years
John will be sorely missed by his family, friends & the folk who played with him at Middleton-On-The-Wolds Bowls Club
RIP John
I'm not sure whether i can handle much more emotion this week !
- essexwhite
- First Team

- Posts: 2041
- Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:33 pm
- Location: scotland
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: Socrates dead at 57
I still remember being totally amazed when he played for Garforth Town!
RIP
RIP
- essexwhite
- First Team

- Posts: 2041
- Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:33 pm
- Location: scotland
- billie1
- First Team

- Posts: 1299
- Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
- Location: Gloucestershire
Re: Socrates dead at 57
He was unconventional to say the least . A qualified doctor , he smoke and drank excessively even as a player and I think he was waiting for a liver transplant and had been in and out of hospital recently . The '82 Brazilians many say, were every bit as good as the class of '70 .It was just unfortunate for them that they ran into one Paulo Rossi in a game they only needed to draw . I was 9 during the 1970 world cup and probably didn't appreciate Pele et al . I was in awe of what I saw 12 years later from Socrates and co . They were simply a joy to watch . The beautiful game indeed .
-
Old Bob
- Ballboy

- Posts: 38
- Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:44 pm
Re: Socrates dead at 57
I have vague memories of the 1978 final in Beunoa Aires but the 1982 one was my 'first' full World Cup. I will forever be thankful to that Brazillian side as watching them instilled a love for football played with flair and panache. It took me al ong time to forgive Paolo Rossi for what was my my 10 year old's eyes a travesty of justice..
Names like Oscar, Júnior, Falcao, Zico and of course Socrates will forever bring warm memories to my heart and a little tear to my eye as I have them to be thankful to for giving me my love for the Beautiful Game... R.I.P.
Names like Oscar, Júnior, Falcao, Zico and of course Socrates will forever bring warm memories to my heart and a little tear to my eye as I have them to be thankful to for giving me my love for the Beautiful Game... R.I.P.
-
our lass
- Youth Team

- Posts: 64
- Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:45 pm
- Location: Leeds
Re: Socrates dead at 57
I remember the Brazil squad at the 1970 World Cup and they were amazing, the beginning of total football.
They were all brilliant players and set the scene for years to come.
They were all brilliant players and set the scene for years to come.
We're Leeds United - We rule supreme
-
Old Bob
- Ballboy

- Posts: 38
- Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:44 pm
Re: Socrates dead at 57
Very true...our lass wrote:I remember the Brazil squad at the 1970 World Cup and they were amazing, the beginning of total football.
They were all brilliant players and set the scene for years to come.
- chicagowhite
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 559
- Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:15 pm
- Location: Chicago USA
- Contact:
Re: Socrates dead at 57
82 Brazilian team was the best Brazilian team I've seen not to win the WCF & pretty close to the 70 Brazilian team which IMO was the best national side certainly the best I've seen.
I was in awe of Socrates in 82 I couldn't believe how someone so tall could have such awesome ball skills & a sublime 1st touch, always looked like he was just strolling around the pitch, only after I found out he used to smoke at least 40 a day & drank like a fish my 1st though was of that classic picture of Billy in the Donny dressing room with a tab & a glass of malt.
I was in awe of Socrates in 82 I couldn't believe how someone so tall could have such awesome ball skills & a sublime 1st touch, always looked like he was just strolling around the pitch, only after I found out he used to smoke at least 40 a day & drank like a fish my 1st though was of that classic picture of Billy in the Donny dressing room with a tab & a glass of malt.
7 Years of Lies, while L-U-F-C dies
"I shall not rest until Leeds United are kicked out of the football league. Their fans are the scum of the earth, absolute animals and a disgrace. I will do everything in my power to make sure this happens."
A quote from Mr Bates - 1984
"I shall not rest until Leeds United are kicked out of the football league. Their fans are the scum of the earth, absolute animals and a disgrace. I will do everything in my power to make sure this happens."
A quote from Mr Bates - 1984
- Twiggster
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 23104
- Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
- Location: near København, DK
- Contact:
Re: Socrates dead at 57
I remember King Billy and Big Jack sharing a tab and a hip flask in the tunnel at ER, before running onto the pitch for the 2nd ½ of a good few games. It seemed to be a ritual they had?chicagowhite wrote:82 Brazilian team was the best Brazilian team I've seen not to win the WCF & pretty close to the 70 Brazilian team which IMO was the best national side certainly the best I've seen.
I was in awe of Socrates in 82 I couldn't believe how someone so tall could have such awesome ball skills & a sublime 1st touch, always looked like he was just strolling around the pitch, only after I found out he used to smoke at least 40 a day & drank like a fish my 1st though was of that classic picture of Billy in the Donny dressing room with a tab & a glass of malt.
Cigs and booze IN!!! (ask Snoddy!
-
Armleywhite
Re: Socrates dead at 57
Nowt like good sensible health advice eh? And that was nowt like good sensible health advice.Twiggster wrote:
I remember King Billy and Big Jack sharing a tab and a hip flask in the tunnel at ER, before running onto the pitch for the 2nd ½ of a good few games. It seemed to be a ritual they had?
Cigs and booze IN!!! (ask Snoddy!)....
