O/T Watch out for this Scam

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3048
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 pm

O/T Watch out for this Scam

Post by Drs.Dad »

Assuming it's true, and not a new urban myth!!


VERY IMPORTANT CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT


I bought a bunch of stuff, over £150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of £40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the £40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it.. I said NO! Taking the £40 would be a cash advance against my credit card & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of £20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier agreed the Electronic Pad must be defective. Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the £40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed? Just to alert everyone. My co worker went to Sainsburys, Milford last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for £20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK! My co-worker called Sainsburys who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this. This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in the queue. Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!This is NOT limited to Sainsburys; they are one of the largest retailers so they have the most incidents.of it until we read this email. I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one???? To make matters worse ..THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!! BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT........CHECK YOUR RECEIPT!!!!! THIS COULD HAPPEN ANYWHERE. CHECK YOUR RECEIPT BEFORE LEAVING THE STAND. I'VE SEEN PEOPLE DO JUST THAT. NOW I'LL START! PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS, KIDS, LOVED ONES.


:shock:
Image
User avatar
Duffman
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:17 am

Re: O/T Watch out for this Scam

Post by Duffman »

Even easier than checking your receipt afterwards, always check the amount before you enter your pin. It should say on the chip and pin reader the amount for the transaction and it should also say it somewhere on the till. Check it on the till once everything's scanned through and then check the amount on the chip and pin reader to ensure they match
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

Re: O/T Watch out for this Scam

Post by Martyn »

According to snopes it's not true.

(And note that the second item in the Snopes story even mentions Milford, except it's a Walmart rather than a Sainsbury)
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 15038
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: O/T Watch out for this Scam

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Duffman wrote:Even easier than checking your receipt afterwards, always check the amount before you enter your pin. It should say on the chip and pin reader the amount for the transaction and it should also say it somewhere on the till. Check it on the till once everything's scanned through and then check the amount on the chip and pin reader to ensure they match
Always check the amount before you put your pin in, if you don't you're stupid.
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14811
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: O/T Watch out for this Scam

Post by lufc1304 »

Guildford White wrote:According to snopes it's not true.
Beat me to the pooh-pooh, Martyn! Was pretty sure I'd come across this one before; snopes confirmed it
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
mav
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: O/T Watch out for this Scam

Post by mav »

lufc1304 wrote:
Beat me to the pooh-pooh, Martyn! Was pretty sure I'd come across this one before; snopes confirmed it
hadn't checked but some of the wording is very sus.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

Re: O/T Watch out for this Scam

Post by Martyn »

Even 64 doesn't normally double post by quoting himself
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: O/T Watch out for this Scam

Post by Twiggster »

Try again: fekking net connection! :evil:

I'm not bothered. A nice Mr. N'dongo has emailed me from Nigeria - telling me I have inherited 50 million quid from an old acquaintance of my Grandad, who helped him in the past. My bank details are on the way. 50 million quid, less tax!

Must admit, the email from American Express telling me my account will be closed unless I re send my bank details, worried me. Even tho I've never ever used American Express I sent my details, as perhaps I need American Express to receive the money from Nigeria.

Stalking me, Martyn??? :roflmao:
User avatar
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11810
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)

Re: O/T Watch out for this Scam

Post by Gino 1959 »

Always use cash and you don't get scammed 8-)
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
User avatar
Ronan
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2898
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:39 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: O/T Watch out for this Scam

Post by Ronan »

Gino 1959 wrote:Always use cash and you don't get scammed 8-)
...or caught on by the revenue,eh Gino ???? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
Post Reply