O/T Drugs in sport

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

O/T Drugs in sport

Post by dezzy »

With the Tour de France coming to an end and the Olympics just around the corner I am sure that the issue of drug cheats is going to raise its ugly head. Taking preformance enchancing drugs is something that I am totally against, how horrible it must be to lose out on a medal to only find out the person who beat you has been suspended for taking drugs and then to be awarded the medal weeks after the event and miss out on the glory of stepping up to recive your medal infront of a packed stadium, our feel the glory of crossing that line as the winner, even recivingg the medal weeks after and being crowned Olympic champion would feel somewhat of a let down.
There are always going to be drugs in sport, but how do you go about making it a fair playing feild? Allow for all athletes to use them? Surely not, walk around after all athletes with a urine sample bottle 24/7? Its very tough to catch them as the people who make the drugs are not only making them better but harder to detect. A former Irish swimmer was on the radio yesterday and at the Barcalona Olympics 75% of athletes said that they would take drugs to enhance preformance and die at the age of 60, if it meant that they won a gold medal! They kept dropping the age and if it meant that you won a gold medal and were never cought, 25% of the athletes would be willing to die at the age of 40! :shock:
These people are at the top of there sports and havent got to the top of their sport by settling for second place, they take so many supplements as it is, I am sure that alot of them would be very tempted if they were offered a drug that cannot be detected. This is sad but true, is there anything that can be done to beat this cheating? It is interesting that the problem is mainly in individual sports such a swimming, running and cycling rather than team sports such as football and Rugby! Lets hope there will be very few doping bans and none after the medals have been won and lost!
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
gessa

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by gessa »

Not sure but I think I read somewhere that all medal winners are going to routinely checked at these games, if true I think it's a great idea.
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by dezzy »

gessa wrote:Not sure but I think I read somewhere that all medal winners are going to routinely checked at these games, if true I think it's a great idea.
Good, I have an interest in sports nutrition and have taken some stuff that is not banned, and my God do they make you super human! Some of the pre work out supplements along with a nice dose of Creatine and a protein shake could make you into Arnie legally!
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by dezzy »

Lance Armstrong. Drug cheat or scapegoat? Sad day for sport but there is no smoke without fire. Since he has decided not to fight this it must mean he is guilty, surprise surprise :pig:
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2119
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:32 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia.

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by Kyle_5351 »

dezzy wrote:Lance Armstrong. Drug cheat or scapegoat? Sad day for sport but there is no smoke without fire. Since he has decided not to fight this it must mean he is guilty, surprise surprise :pig:
Unfortunate I guess.

Do we believe he is guilty or look at it as he really has had enough and feels it will never be laid to rest?
User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 16442
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by HarryofOz »

It's always a shame when someone you've admired for achieving greatness in sport turns out to be a cheat.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2119
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:32 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia.

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by Kyle_5351 »

HarryofOz wrote:It's always a shame when someone you've admired for achieving greatness in sport turns out to be a cheat.
To achieve what he did with the issues you had, think it was hard not to admire him.

A lot of people will be disappointed.
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by dezzy »

HarryofOz wrote:It's always a shame when someone you've admired for achieving greatness in sport turns out to be a cheat.
Very sad H but if it is true which it looks like he deserves everything he gets.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 16442
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by HarryofOz »

dezzy wrote: Very sad H but if it is true which it looks like he deserves everything he gets.
That's true Dezzy, but I still feel sorry for his fans and for sport's fans in general.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by dezzy »

HarryofOz wrote:
That's true Dezzy, but I still feel sorry for his fans and for sport's fans in general.
Of course, the man was up there with the greats of sport, now there is a blank space where his name was. The people who I feel sorry for or those who missed out on the glory of winning the Tour
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Velotrax

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by Velotrax »

dezzy wrote:Lance Armstrong. Drug cheat or scapegoat? Sad day for sport but there is no smoke without fire. Since he has decided not to fight this it must mean he is guilty, surprise surprise :pig:
Lance never failed any of the 500 tests he had during his career, just some lawyers trying to make a quick buck at someone else's expence
our lass
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:45 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by our lass »

Is there anything to say that the riders who finished behind him in all his 7 wins were all drug free?

I think he has been made a scapegoat - he may not be drug free but all his tests came back negative, some of the riders who tested positive have come back and have been allowed to ride.

we followed the Tour a few years ago and watched him complete the time trial up Alpe d'Huez which was magnificent. The day before the road had to be painted over because of all the derogatory remarks daubed on there by the French. They hated him!
We're Leeds United - We rule supreme
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by dezzy »

Ah come on, would you just give up in this situation? He has the money to fight any battle so the I cant be bothered argument he has given is bull.
There have been many comments from other riders that he even pushed drugs and helped cover up for other riders. Is he being made a scapegoat? Yeah, have others done similar of course, but he has been so succesful over the years that if it is true I am glad he will be stripped of all the titles.
As for him never testing positive, well they must of had reason to belive that he was taking "stuff" they dont just pick out a random guy for constant abuse and pick on him, I am sure the sport would love nothing more than to have Lance as the poster boy of hard work and greatness, heck we all would, he is somebody who I would have considered to be one of the greatest sporting legends of all time, so its a no win situation for anybody and hopefully will put off the scores of people taking drugs that cannot be picked up.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
User avatar
Crude
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5674
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: 'Merica

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by Crude »

I am disgusted over the actions of the USADA against Armstrong. Never failed one drug test, EVER! Lance is one of the greatest cyclists of our generation and does not deserve his name dragged around by some self-important agency clearly with an axe to grind. Since we are proclaiming Armstrong a cheat now, lets strip every win from the likes of Eddy Merckx, Fausto Coppi, Jacques Anquetil, Roger De Vlaeminck, Bernard Hinault and tons of other legends of the sport. FFS is all I can say about this.
:evil: :evil: :evil:
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
User avatar
barryanorak
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3191
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by barryanorak »

As I understand it, one of the biggest ramifications of this is who the hell they award the TdF titles to in the years that Lance won. So many of the other riders have tested positive and been banned, it may take a very long time before anyone can rewrite the sporting history books with any degree of certainty...
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by dezzy »

barryanorak wrote:As I understand it, one of the biggest ramifications of this is who the hell they award the TdF titles to in the years that Lance won. So many of the other riders have tested positive and been banned, it may take a very long time before anyone can rewrite the sporting history books with any degree of certainty...
Fact. Its very sad for such a brilliant sport
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by dezzy »

Crude United wrote:I am disgusted over the actions of the USADA against Armstrong. Never failed one drug test, EVER! Lance is one of the greatest cyclists of our generation and does not deserve his name dragged around by some self-important agency clearly with an axe to grind. Since we are proclaiming Armstrong a cheat now, lets strip every win from the likes of Eddy Merckx, Fausto Coppi, Jacques Anquetil, Roger De Vlaeminck, Bernard Hinault and tons of other legends of the sport. FFS is all I can say about this.
:evil: :evil: :evil:
But why are they so against the guy? They surely dont just pick on one guy? Why has he decided to not contest this case? Plenty of people out there who say they have seen him push drugs aswell, is it true? Dunno but not fighting his case aint helping him in my eyes
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
User avatar
Crude
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5674
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: 'Merica

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by Crude »

dezzy wrote: But why are they so against the guy? They surely dont just pick on one guy? Why has he decided to not contest this case? Plenty of people out there who say they have seen him push drugs aswell, is it true? Dunno but not fighting his case aint helping him in my eyes
Why is the USADA out to get Armstrong? Who knows why. People can say they saw him do this and that, but he never failed one test in all of his career. That is all that needs to be said, imo. If the UCI had any balls, they'd come out against this and support a great champion.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by dezzy »

Crude United wrote: Why is the USADA out to get Armstrong? Who knows why. People can say they saw him do this and that, but he never failed one test in all of his career. That is all that needs to be said, imo. If the UCI had any balls, they'd come out against this and support a great champion.
That is true but do they know he was taking something undectectable? Who knows, I wish he could clear his name but things dont look good for the guy, and if he is stripped of his titles he will lose alot of credit. Great man and all that he is for his charity work he will go own as a cheat as it stands.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
User avatar
Crude
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5674
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: 'Merica

Re: O/T Drugs in sport

Post by Crude »

dezzy wrote: That is true but do they know he was taking something undectectable? Who knows, I wish he could clear his name but things dont look good for the guy, and if he is stripped of his titles he will lose alot of credit. Great man and all that he is for his charity work he will go own as a cheat as it stands.
If it was undetectable, then.......

I HOPE the Société du Tour de France are the voice of reason here, and not strip the titles from him.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Post Reply