Leeds v Southampton...Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds v Southampton...Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:
If we play to Becchio's strengths (without becoming one-dimensional), he'll score goals. Agree he has no pace, and isn't going to play off the shoulder of the last defender a la Beckford, but he never was that type of player. Decent service from the flanks into the box and he'll bury his fair share of chances.

I personally think Warnock's tactics are culpable in making Luci look distinctly average currently. By his own admission, we lack pace in the side. Yet he persists with route one where, even if Becchio wins the header, none of our players are close to the play!!

As for Ross Mac, we'll agree to differ on that one Leon, I rate him and am looking forward to his return
Ok Nick that's your opinion.... if we persist with Becchio & Ross forget the play-offs & the season is over then !
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote:
Ok Nick that's your opinion.... if we persist with Becchio & Ross forget the play-offs & the season is over then !
I don't necessarily disagree with that assessment Leon but, for me, our existing playing resources are not being properly utilised. For example, when we had Max and Snoddy, Becchio scored lots of goals. Not adequately replacing those 2 has, to some extent, impacted on Luci's effectiveness. We need pace, undoubtedly, but I'm not convinced it HAS to be up front. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Beckford-type to play off Becchio but none seem to be on the horizon, so we need to make the most of what we have, at least until January. Ball on the floor, bit of width, overlapping fullbacks and we might just see the best of Becchio. It has worked in the cup, albeit Reg replaced Luci in the last round, but that more expansive football has to be worth a punt in the league, hasn't it?
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
markolufc
First Team
First Team

Post by markolufc »

Was anyone else surprised with how quick Varney was?

I'd like to see him tried up front instead of Becchio for the next few games. After that showing, and Becchio's poor form, what's the worst that can happen?
Kepler
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Kepler »

markolufc wrote:Was anyone else surprised with how quick Varney was?

I'd like to see him tried up front instead of Becchio for the next few games. After that showing, and Becchio's poor form, what's the worst that can happen?
Not at all suprised. He has always been a player, with ok pace, workes hard, and is quite good in the air. What he has never been , is a natural goal scorer at this level

Winning doesn't really matter as longe as you win
- Vinnie Jones
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds

Leeds v Southampton...Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by Dr.Leeds »

Kepler wrote: Not at all suprised. He has always been a player, with ok pace, workes hard, and is quite good in the air. What he has never been , is a natural goal scorer at this level
And yet he scores goals...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

A word on the referee Chris Foy for the Saints game

Best performance of the season :clap2:
Kepler
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Kepler »

Dr.Leeds wrote:
And yet he scores goals...
If you look at his stats, then he has had 2 good seasons in the football league. 17 league goals for crew in league 1 06/07 and 9 goals for sheff wed in the championship 09/10

apart from that, he usualy scores around 5-6 goals a season. So I stand by my statement. He will not be the 20 goals a season striker. But he might make a really good strike partner for Ross, in the same way Andy Keogh played last season

Winning doesn't really matter as longe as you win
- Vinnie Jones