Ross McCormack....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155199
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Ross McCormack....

Post by 1964white »

Most fans love him !

Wasn't flogged because he's not good enough for the premiership

Not even a decent championship striker....4 league goals is proof of the pudding in his yo-yo career as a forward. His lack of fire-power was the reason Cardiff got shot & look where they are now !

Ross has certain qualities on the ball, made one superb pass on the ball yesterday & his workrate was good which was enough for most Leeds fans to give him MOTM :shock:

McCormack took all the adulation as he walked towards the kop (Robbo memories) during the lap of shame whilst there wasn't a murmur for the suited real star of our feeble season. Ross & his lack of goals has contributed to our poor season i may add !

I posted on here last September after witnessing the Becchio/McCormack partnership over our first nine games that we didn't have enough goals or pace in the team & i have been provened right with our low position in the championship.

We require two prolific goalscoring strikers up top if we are to progress & win games comfortably as oppose to sneaking our few wins by the odd goal which has been the case this season

Where that leaves McCormack's role under McDermott i really don't know, maybe midfield....even if he plays in that position he should be scoring at least 8 to 10 goals a season
white.riot

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by white.riot »

Snoddy, Becchio, McCormack. I think we know who drives 'em away in the end.

No great fan myself cos I think 442 outdated and he needs to be up top in the 2. His final pass isn't good enough for midfield. His dead ball ability is history - his free kick led to goal 2 - running around is ok but hardly motm material. Really difficult to accommodate successfully. We wouldn't miss him. That said I have him a long way behind Diouf (who will never learn) and The Beast (who really isn't good enough) in ones to release and we can't release a whole team yet again. I think BM will work with him especially as he likes wingers and 442 is his game I believe.
LUFCRACE
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:22 pm
Twitter: lufcrace
Location: Wakefield
Contact:

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by LUFCRACE »

Maybe, but I'm not sure we can only look at Ross, even good strikers need decent service, very few players can make goals out of nothing week in week out.
BRING BACK BRADDERS

Image
International English and maths study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. Give us a shout if you think your child could benefit.
www.facebook.com/KumonWakefieldNorth
Image
gessa

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by gessa »

LUFCRACE wrote:Maybe, but I'm not sure we can only look at Ross, even good strikers need decent service, very few players can make goals out of nothing week in week out.


We had one of those Anna, until Warnock drove him out.
User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 16442
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by HarryofOz »

white.riot wrote:Snoddy, Becchio, McCormack. I think we know who drives 'em away in the end.

No great fan myself cos I think 442 outdated and he needs to be up top in the 2. His final pass isn't good enough for midfield. His dead ball ability is history - his free kick led to goal 2 - running around is ok but hardly motm material. Really difficult to accommodate successfully. We wouldn't miss him. That said I have him a long way behind Diouf (who will never learn) and The Beast (who really isn't good enough) in ones to release and we can't release a whole team yet again. I think BM will work with him especially as he likes wingers and 442 is his game I believe.
Diouf, Austin and Brown should be the first three to go
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
LUFCRACE
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:22 pm
Twitter: lufcrace
Location: Wakefield
Contact:

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by LUFCRACE »

gessa wrote: [/color]
We had one of those Anna, until Warnock drove him out.
We did, but that isn't Ross' fault!
BRING BACK BRADDERS

Image
International English and maths study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. Give us a shout if you think your child could benefit.
www.facebook.com/KumonWakefieldNorth
Image
gessa

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by gessa »

LUFCRACE wrote:
We did, but that isn't Ross' fault!
Certainly not, he's not that type of player, few are, that's why it should be important to keep them, in all honesty I don't think Becchio is good enough for the Prem but is plenty good enough for the Championship.
The deal was bad for us and Norwich too, but we had the worse end of the deal, if we tried to sell Morison now we'd be lucky to get £1 mil but Norwich would get most of their outlay back from an ambitious Championship club.
white.riot

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by white.riot »

gessa wrote: [/color]
We had one of those Anna, until Warnock drove him out.
Only bloke I can think of, of late, who made goals out of nothing was Gradel. Becchio was more or less 100% dependant on others. Max made his own goals. Been better to sell Ross than Becchio cos Becchio was happy playing as a lone striker and as lone striker he had his best season. This season was about penalties. With wide fast players Becchio thrived. Anyway he's gone and that's no reason for shipping another one out without a proper replacement. We ship 'em out far too quickly for my liking. We have struggled for fullbacks but have good fullbacks playing for other clubs now. Clayton was better than his replacements IMO. And so it goes on.
ldj90
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:06 pm
Twitter: @LiamJarman1

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by ldj90 »

I like Ross. He's an honest hard working player, the sort that we will need to get out of this league. He isn't going to set the world alight with pace and bags of goals, although he did well in his first proper season, but he is committed. As riot says there are many other candidates for the chop before McCormack. I think he could still have a part to play next season depending upon how McD sets us up. I would love to see 4-2-3-1 back in action with decent wingers and someone faster than becchio who can score the same volume of goals. Perhaps even young Sam could be pushed up to play right wing in a similar way to how Gareth Bale's position has evolved? That would allow peltier to play in his favourite position as I still don't think we have seen the best of him yet. Lots to look forward to next season I hope!
User avatar
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11810
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by Gino 1959 »

gessa wrote: Norwich would get most of their outlay back from an ambitious Championship club.
That must be a real fear and that his goals take said ambitious club to the Prem.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155199
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:
Only bloke I can think of, of late, who made goals out of nothing was Gradel. Becchio was more or less 100% dependant on others. Max made his own goals. Been better to sell Ross than Becchio cos Becchio was happy playing as a lone striker and as lone striker he had his best season. This season was about penalties. With wide fast players Becchio thrived. Anyway he's gone and that's no reason for shipping another one out without a proper replacement. We ship 'em out far too quickly for my liking. We have struggled for fullbacks but have good fullbacks playing for other clubs now. Clayton was better than his replacements IMO. And so it goes on.
Agreed we have shipped out too many of our best players, now we are left with the best of an ordinary bunch with the exception of young Sam. No prem club was prepared to take a punt on Ross that's why he is still plying his trade at ER

We signed McCormack to score goals on a regular basis as clubs expect from their strikers, sadly he hasn't produced the goods we brought him to Leeds for....eg how often do you see Ross scoring a goal from set-pieces which he was renowned for apparently ?

I recall Beckford use to get slaughtered by many fans for doing what a proper striker does scoring 30 goals a season whom played a massive role in our promotion. The man from Twitter receives hero adulation for scoring 4 league goals in a season & effectively taking us backwards.

Ross is too small & lighweight in my opinion, some of our fans obviously read the game different to myself & prefer mediocrity to out & out winners
User avatar
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11810
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by Gino 1959 »

1964white wrote:Ross is too small and lighweight
Maybe hard to tell on telly, but many of our players look the same whilst other clubs seem to have giants in their team? It is the modern way that fast, powerful and muscular players are the order of the day - with exceptions like Messi - but we seem to miss out on/not prefer this type.

I was watching something where ProZone have shown how much more ground - and at greater speeds - players (not sure if only in Prem or in general) cover compared to 5 or 10 years ago. They used the example of what goes on at West Ham now and then spoke to Dicks, who said he drank coke, ate a Mars Bar and smoked before taking the field!

Some of our lot look like they smoke Mars Bar before a game!
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
Charity Shield 69
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by Charity Shield 69 »

Based on relatively few TV viewings I find Ross Mc a bit frustrating to watch and difficult to categorize and judge.
For me he doesn't make consistently good decisions, needs (or at least allows himself) too many touches on the ball ie. seems to lack a 1 touch game, and can be lightweight in possession and in the tackle. I'd be interested to see a chart of his goals - my gut feeling is that he lacks the genuine predatory instincts for getting regular goals from within close range and tends to rely on his sometimes excellent shooting from a bit further out ( not necessarily outside the box).
As we have seen he can deliver some quite stunning shots with either foot. Likewise he can play some quite superb balls over medium and longer distances, some if which lead to goals for team mates.
I'm not so sure that he can deliver the subtle little passes in and around the box that put other players into great positions nor that he can really beat an opponent regularly 1 on 1 and fully eliminate that player.
Possibly his best role in the team would be as the 3rd forward playing in the hole from where he could spread the play, and get into shooting positions around the fringe of the 18 yd area.
He would need 2 other players ahead, one a more central target man who could lay off to RMc and another genuinely pacey man who could break in behindopposition defenders on either flank.
I'd like to think that at his age there is potential for improvement - mainly in being able to deliver a more consistent level in decision making and execution which would rank him as a top
Championship and potentially useful Premiership forward.

Cheers,
CS69
Cheers,
CS69
white.riot

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by white.riot »

Ross has faults, I don't think stamina and durability are two of them. No team which comes to ER employs 11 six footers. The guys who regularly make fools of our defenders are rarely huge blokes (I thought English fans had moved on from size matters having watched the Spanish for instance). The obsession with Beckford is confusing. As far as I remember he walked out on us. He didn't have to go, he chose to. Unless I'm mistaken he scored absolutely no goals for us in The Championship. In 25 appearances this season he has 8 goals I believe. He is also injury prone. We know, if used properly, Ross will score goals. He's no goal machine but he is tricky. Again if used properly he wins penalties. He won't do that from midfield. I'm no great fan as I said earlier but he's better than some we've had and might be difficult to 'better'. The championship goal machine is Jordan Rhodes not Beckford. Ross is like neither so I fail to see the point in comparing them. Did anyone ever say Jones was poor cos he scored less than Clarke. Did anyone say Keegan was poor because he was smaller than Toshack. In a 442 he will score goals. I prefer a different approach. We'll see how BM moves forward but with wingers it's not beyond the bounds of possibilities that both Ross and Morison will score goals. Setting a team up with winger is exciting and (seems to me at least) easy to do. I just don't think it's a style which carries you forward in the Prem (wolves and McCarthy being an example). That said I wouldn't turn down Ribery and Roben? Ribery by the way is 5'7". Ross in comparison an enormous 5'9". Unless we are judging him as a bustling centre forward, which he will never be, he's surely tall enough?
User avatar
yeboOAAAH
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by yeboOAAAH »

Oh do f**k off, please.
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14634
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by hector »

yeboOAAAH wrote:Oh do flipp off, please.
not your most constructive comment there :-D

Do you disagree with Riot then??
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8966
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 am
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds
Location: Sunny Doncaster

Ross McCormack....

Post by Dr.Leeds »

hector wrote:
not your most constructive comment there :-D

Do you disagree with Riot then??
Actually that is his most constructive comment. He just set the bar pretty low. ;-)
Image
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14634
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by hector »

:roflmao:
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155199
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:Ross has faults, I don't think stamina and durability are two of them. No team which comes to ER employs 11 six footers. The guys who regularly make fools of our defenders are rarely huge blokes (I thought English fans had moved on from size matters having watched the Spanish for instance). The obsession with Beckford is confusing. As far as I remember he walked out on us. He didn't have to go, he chose to. Unless I'm mistaken he scored absolutely no goals for us in The Championship. In 25 appearances this season he has 8 goals I believe. He is also injury prone. We know, if used properly, Ross will score goals. He's no goal machine but he is tricky. Again if used properly he wins penalties. He won't do that from midfield. I'm no great fan as I said earlier but he's better than some we've had and might be difficult to 'better'. The championship goal machine is Jordan Rhodes not Beckford. Ross is like neither so I fail to see the point in comparing them. Did anyone ever say Jones was poor cos he scored less than Clarke. Did anyone say Keegan was poor because he was smaller than Toshack. In a 442 he will score goals. I prefer a different approach. We'll see how BM moves forward but with wingers it's not beyond the bounds of possibilities that both Ross and Morison will score goals. Setting a team up with winger is exciting and (seems to me at least) easy to do. I just don't think it's a style which carries you forward in the Prem (wolves and McCarthy being an example). That said I wouldn't turn down Ribery and Roben? Ribery by the way is 5'7". Ross in comparison an enormous 5'9". Unless we are judging him as a bustling centre forward, which he will never be, he's surely tall enough?
Only difference is mate the likes of Messi, Ribery, Robben, Keegan, Jones are/were different class

McCormack is a poor man's Kevin Phillips as comparisons go !
User avatar
yeboOAAAH
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Re: Ross McCormack....

Post by yeboOAAAH »

hector wrote:
not your most constructive comment there :-D

Do you disagree with Riot then??
The fact is the season prior he was brilliant in front of goal and this season he's been played in a sh!t system with sh!t players whilst being sent out of position - What the f*ck do people expect? He's not sulked about it nor has he even played the role badly. When we had Becchio it was Ross providing the majority of his goals, unfortunately for McCormack (as well as being played out of position) his Target man was buggered off and replaced with some half-fit underwhelming premier league reject... Not to mention I can't stand "I told you so" posts which relate to Leeds being rubbish. I will agree that I do struggle to form constructive posts though - I struggle to really post constructively as when I feel it's my time to make a point I'm often to outraged by some of the statements made and by the majority of your half-arsed approach in supporting Leeds. This is easily the most anti-Leeds/negative/depressing forum branch there is on the web.
Post Reply