summer of 2013 - transfer rumour thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
El Es Six
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: summer of 2013 - transfer rumour thread

Post by El Es Six »

Guildford White wrote:The more Brian talks, the more I respect him.

Outstanding article
I just read that article too - can't disagree with any of it. I can see a 2 year plan in action, as advertised. I can be patient so long as I see the plan unfolding, which I'd say I can at the moment.

(Wish he'd stop mentioning Reading though!)
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5801
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: summer of 2013 - transfer rumour thread

Post by Genghers »

Guildford White wrote:The more Brian talks, the more I respect him.

Outstanding article
We've finally got a manager who seems to look before he leaps. I love the way we're talking about a plan now, Warnock's appointment was always too short sighted (both he and Bates wanted one last shot at achieving something) but with the new board and Brian it seems like we really are building for the future.

Loan moves for Burke and Sharp wouldn't be awful, we clearly need the width and could do with a proven goalscorer for this level. As the article said, Burke's out of contract at the end of the season, so he could be a free next year if he does well.

Bigging up the kids too- hopefully we'll see much more of Dawson, Mowatt and co in our cup runs/ultimately in the league.
mav
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: summer of 2013 - transfer rumour thread

Post by mav »

outstanding.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
User avatar
Gurj
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 am
Location: Birmingham

Re: summer of 2013 - transfer rumour thread

Post by Gurj »

I like what BMD has said there, makes a lot of sense nut not sure I woul have said some of it publically.
If I was Chris Burke reading that, I am not sure it would inspire me to join LUFC. BMD rightly or wrongly has said Burke is not worth paying £600k being 30 and on a Bosman in the summer. That should have been kept to himself.
As, putting myself in Burke's shoes, I would probably now think.......why should I sign for a guy who didnt think I was worth, what in today's age, even with our limited finances, a small punt !
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
User avatar
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1948
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Re: summer of 2013 - transfer rumour thread

Post by theleedsmango »

Gurj wrote:I like what BMD has said there, makes a lot of sense nut not sure I woul have said some of it publically.
If I was Chris Burke reading that, I am not sure it would inspire me to join LUFC. BMD rightly or wrongly has said Burke is not worth paying £600k being 30 and on a Bosman in the summer. That should have been kept to himself.
As, putting myself in Burke's shoes, I would probably now think.......why should I sign for a guy who didnt think I was worth, what in today's age, even with our limited finances, a small punt !
YEP wrote:United inquired about the availability of an experienced winger, believed to be Birmingham City’s Chris Burke, on Monday, but the asking price of £600,000 was deemed too prohibitive
To be fair Gurj, McDermott was talking about a deal and didn't mention the player. YEP assumed. That said, I'm sure Burke knew Leeds enquired about him and could piece 2 and 2 together.

The easy fix is for Brian to explain to Burke that the deal was a bad one because of Leeds financial situation and the length of Burke's remaining contract. That is the truth anyway. McDermott isn't saying Burke is not worth £600k, it's that the offer from Birmingham is not a good deal when Leeds could wait and get Burke a week later in a better deal.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
User avatar
Gurj
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 am
Location: Birmingham

Re: summer of 2013 - transfer rumour thread

Post by Gurj »

theleedsmango wrote:


To be fair Gurj, he was talking about a deal and didn't mention the player. That said, I'm sure Burke knew Leeds enquired about him and could piece 2 and 2 together.

The easy fix is for Brian to explain to Burke that the deal was a bad one because of Leeds financial situation and the length of Burke's remaining contract. That is the truth anyway. McDermott isn't saying Burke is not worth £600k, it's that the offer from Birmingham is not a good deal when Leeds could wait and get Burke a week later in a better deal.
Very fair point mate. I take that on board, let hope there has been some dialogue between BMD and Burke which would smooth over any concerns that the player may or may not have hearing those quotes.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Post Reply