New Manager / Coach Rumours

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
andywatson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:18 pm

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by andywatson »

scuudz wrote:Steve Clarke is the only name being mentioned that I'd be excited about, and Adam Pope has just tweeted that sources close to Clarke have said he doesn't want the Leeds job.
Can't imagine why for a moment.

With the greatest of respect to Redders, could it possibly be that any manager..... erm sorry coach...... of any stature/status/professional nature doesn't want to work for Cellino? (note the differentiation between working for Leeds and working for Cellino).
Wise.......well lets just say I TOLD YOU SO
scuudz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by scuudz »

That is probably one reason. However, MC has also said that he has had way too many applications and needs time to sort through them.
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by Martyn »

Of course he will get a lot of applications, now that he has established that you don't need any ability to be in with a shout of managing Leeds. There are thousands of Leeds fans who all reckon they had more of a clue than the last coach he appointed.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79056
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by The Subhuman »

Guildford White wrote:Of course he will get a lot of applications, now that he has established that you don't need any ability to be in with a shout of managing Leeds. There are thousands of Leeds fans who all reckon they had more of a clue than the last coach he appointed.

Hockaday and now Redders ..you could be right
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1948
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by theleedsmango »

It's all well and good taking his time over this appointment and "leaving it to Redfearn"...

Let us remind ourselves what "it" is and what Redfearn has to work with.

For a start we have around 35 first team players, a lot of whom are new to the club, new to the league and new to the country. They fall under his caretaker manager roll. Then, not forgetting we don't have any U18 or U21 managers, he also has to coach and prepare approx 30 players for the Development Squad games.

But not to worry, because the coaching team he has to help him in this roll includes Neil Sullivan, a goalkeeping coach. I say 'includes' but that's it. We've 2 first team coaches and no manager. We've new players and we want to play a new style of football. If that doesn't burn Neil out, he is a wonder manager.

Cellino has shown he can dabble in the transfer market with great success, both selling and buying. Plenty of work still to be done; and getting the coaching sorted is critical.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by Martyn »

But he can't appoint a new U-18 coach or U-21 coach, those roles have been made redundant.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by Twiggster »

Guildford White wrote:But he can't appoint a new U-18 coach or U-21 coach, those roles have been made redundant.
He can do WTF he wants - it's HIS club. remember? Positions for those redundancies could be made available :roll:

I doubt money will be spent on cladding for the W.Stand tho.....
andywatson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:18 pm

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by andywatson »

Twiggster wrote:
He can do WTF he wants - it's HIS club. remember? Positions for those redundancies could be made available :roll:

I doubt money will be spent on cladding for the W.Stand tho.....
You are both correct, but GW is more correct!

You can only make someone redundant if the position no longer exists or is needed. Redundancy is a legal term. By placing someone new into the same position then the person who was in the role has a clear cut case for wrongful dismissal and expect a short court case to follow where compensation is decided on. Twiggs is correct however from the perspective of Cellino can afford to simply shrug his shoulders and pay the compo and carry on regardless.

Of course this then makes a mockery of the initial reason for making the coaches redundant to save money as he is now in a position of rehiring new coaches (when the old ones seemed to be doing a pretty decent job anyway) and paying out compensation.

If you give credit to Cellino for buying plenty of young developing talent (and I do), then you have to question decisions that will stop that talent developing- such as skimping on the coaching. Mangos post is bang on the money. Potentially worse is the players will become disillusioned with their own development prospects and we may find ourselves being turned down by players when these options to buy start kicking in.
Wise.......well lets just say I TOLD YOU SO
User avatar
Crude
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5674
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: 'Merica

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by Crude »

I'd be okay with Carlos Queiroz, despite the obvious connection.

http://www.thescratchingshed.com/2014/0 ... leeds-job/
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79056
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by The Subhuman »

I'll not hold being in a Scratching shed article against him....
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11608
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by Gandalf »

I saw Ian McGeechan at Leeds station this morning. He's a world renowned coach isn't he ? Someone tell Cellino.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by Martyn »

If he's world renowned Cellino won't be interested.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
Ryan_LUFC
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:35 pm
Twitter: @ryan_merri
Location: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire

New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by Ryan_LUFC »

If Redfearn gets the job full time, will he be allowed to bring back Naylor and Bromby as his assistants/youth coaches?
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by Twiggster »

Ryan_LUFC wrote:If Redfearn gets the job full time, will he be allowed to bring back Naylor and Bromby as his assistants/youth coaches?
Would they want to return, is the question... :duno: If the club you love fekks you off on a whim, would you go back?
Redders is in a horrible position right now...he has allus said he never wanted to be manager (coach), but it has been lumped upon him. He can refuse the job - but he won't as his club needs him. If he did, Cellino would sack him, I'm sure.
Or he can carry on and be sacked for failing - which he eventually will, in charge of the bunch of unknowns that Cellino has brought in.
In either case, Cellino will get another wage off the payroll and our club will have lost another LUFC stalwart.
I know times change, but I'm with GW on this. Leeds United ATM is a VERY long way from the club I love and signed up to, even before The Don.
User avatar
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11810
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by Gino 1959 »

Twiggster wrote: I know times change, but I'm with GW on this. Leeds United ATM is a VERY long way from the club I love and signed up to, even before The Don.
You mean that in 50 years time people won't be saying that they started supporting Leeds (if there still is one) because a maverick took over brought in a bunch of unknown players (by now ER legends) and got rid of loyal - pfftt - club men?
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by Twiggster »

Gino 1959 wrote: You mean that in 50 years time people won't be saying that they started supporting Leeds (if there still is one) because a maverick took over brought in a bunch of unknown players (by now ER legends) and got rid of loyal - pfftt - club men?
Fair point Gino - but I doubt I will ever see the rise and success I saw with the LUFC I signed up to again. :(

And I HOPE that the kids supporting our club today (who have only known despair) will see that success - and NEVER have to go through the utter bollox that followed the success I saw....
andywatson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:18 pm

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by andywatson »

To be fair Twiggs, I think many of us realised that a long time ago. I don't know if it is simply as I get older that I have lost the blind radical zeal- the fanatic from the fan, or whether it is as a result of the changes to the game as a whole that has caused it.

In the "Old days" and I guess I am referring to pre sky/champions league it was a much more level playing field. The financial requirements to build a team capable of challenging at the top of the league were attainable for many clubs. The Champions league changed all that, and we as a club are absolute proof of that when O Leary missed out on qualification and fucked up Ridsdales spreadsheet. The numbers flying around now are quite frankly mind boggling- I think Man U have spent £170 million this summer. There is no way a crowd of 40000, which we might expect on a premiership return, can support that kind of spending. That's £4000 per spectator per year. This means we would have to become a "global brand"- something that Man U did exceptionally well- and we are light years behind. This is despite us starting from similar places previously.

The money being poured into the champions league has distorted the entire football pyramid. The same can be said of the premiership and the TV revenue. Without Champions league money you can't afford Champions league quality players because they cost so much. The irony being that the financial fair play rules being brought in now even prevent an owner bankrolling a club to give them a kick start. So it is even harder for a new club to break into the top echelon of the game. The premiership TV revenue, with parachute payments and the like, once again place the clubs that are already there at a huge advantage to those who have been in the championship or below for any length of time.

The only solution would be an entire reorganisation of the finances of world football- which isn't going to happen. Until player wage inflation is brought under proper control there will always be haves and have nots. It is a serious question for all Leeds fans- exactly where can we end up? Will Cellino spend half of his billion $ fortune building us a team? I doubt it. If he does he is even madder than previously considered! And even if he does we fall foul of the financial fair play restrictions.

I seriously doubt I will see Leeds win the premiership again. It's not impossible, and sport should be about reaching for those goals, but being pragmatic it is far far harder now than it was for Revie or Wilko.
Wise.......well lets just say I TOLD YOU SO
gessa

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by gessa »

About sums it up Andy. :tup:
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14814
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by lufc1304 »

Excellent post, Andy, sums up my thinking to a T. Do I want us back in the Prem league? Of course I do. But it is a poisoned chalice and I'm not convinced we are big enough or 'global' enough to ever be able to compete with the Prem elite. Definitely don't want to see us yo-yoing up and down between the leagues. Moot point currently; we are, and have been for many a year now, as far away from being able to compete in the Prem as ever. I'll be happy to see improvement on the dross we've been served up over the last few years. A young team, players comfortable on the ball, passing with a purpose, players putting a proper shift in, that's enough for me. If that formula takes us to the promised land, then happy days. Can this squad achieve that? Can whomever Cellino appoints next deliver? Who knows? I think the raw materials are there, just needs the right man to mould it all together. Whether we get that man remains to be seen
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155263
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: New Manager / Coach Rumours

Post by 1964white »

Tony Mowbray, Paul Hart & Chris Hughton have applied for the Leeds job according to Phil Hay
Post Reply