One for faaip and other American football fans

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by Martyn »

Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
MOTliam
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:00 pm
Location: Birmingham B68

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by MOTliam »

This was one of my highlights from the weekend! :lol:

Excessive celebration is banned in the British leagues (no idea why) and can call back a touchdown. This shows probably why!
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by The Subhuman »

it's happened in the NFL on a few occasions

most famously

"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by John in Louisiana »

Which begs the question........

How popular is "football" in the UK? We see some fairly large crowds when NFL games are played there, but my suspicion has always been that they are largely made up of US servicemen.

As one of the few Southern Americans who prefers football to "football" I'd be interested in knowing whether "football" has any real appeal outside the US.
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by Martyn »

John in Louisiana wrote:Which begs the question........

How popular is "football" in the UK? We see some fairly large crowds when NFL games are played there, but my suspicion has always been that they are largely made up of US servicemen.

As one of the few Southern Americans who prefers football to "football" I'd be interested in knowing whether "football" has any real appeal outside the US.
Channel 4 used to show it every Sunday back in the mid 80s and it became really popular. I would watch it virtually every week, never really adopted a team but if the Packers or 49-ers were playing I always rooted for them. Then it sort of dropped off and now it's on very late Monday night, so a minority sport. I happened to see it last night, but usually don't.

The Superbowl is always on of course, but as it's on live it tends to be at ridiculous hours of the night here.

Those who are into it though - and I'm looking at faaip here - are very dedicated.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by The Subhuman »

Martyn wrote:
Channel 4 used to show it every Sunday back in the mid 80s and it became really popular. I would watch it virtually every week, never really adopted a team but if the Packers or 49-ers were playing I always rooted for them. Then it sort of dropped off and now it's on very late Monday night, so a minority sport. I happened to see it last night, but usually don't.

The Superbowl is always on of course, but as it's on live it tends to be at ridiculous hours of the night here.

Those who are into it though - and I'm looking at faaip here - are very dedicated.
I pay 30 quid a month for game pass during the season, which gives me access to every game plus the ability to pause and rewind, there's also the coaches film of the games on there and after about 6 hours you can watch a condensed version. Plus archive going back a few years (they should really do something like that here)

I'll also stay up into the wee hours watching the draft along with about 20 other guys on waccoe. We do mock drafts which are enjoyable and of course there's the fantasy aspect. I run the waccoe leagues, 3 division promotion/relegation redraft (new set of players every year) and dynasty. Liam has joined waccoe 3 this season ..has a decent chance at promotion, seems to be enjoying it. Big undertaking next season when we start a 32 team dynasty so complex it will need it's own forum...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 16442
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by HarryofOz »

Ha ha ha at both those clips.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
User avatar
MOTliam
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:00 pm
Location: Birmingham B68

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by MOTliam »

John in Louisiana wrote:Which begs the question........

How popular is "football" in the UK? We see some fairly large crowds when NFL games are played there, but my suspicion has always been that they are largely made up of US servicemen.

As one of the few Southern Americans who prefers football to "football" I'd be interested in knowing whether "football" has any real appeal outside the US.
It's not hard to see I'm a big fan from my avatar/sig! I also say I know quite a lot of people that like it although there will always be that contingent that say it is 'rugby for pussies/with pads' but these can also be the people that are very defensive of their own favourite sport exclusively over others.

As Faaip has said, I've just started playing in a WACCOE fantasy league this year whilst I also play in two others and I'm looking forward to joining a dynasty league when it get's going. Going well so far! Gone 10-0-0 in one league and hoping for the perfect season although could be a hard ask this week. Going up against A-Rod whilst Dez and Murray are on bye weeks.

I have my favourite team, Green Bay Packers who I have supported since my early teens due to my Man Utd supporting friend's team (Patriots) playing them that week and just spiralled from there. I will stay up to watch my team to the early hours. Going to sleep at 9pm, waking up at 1.25, sleeping again at 4/30/5 and waking up for work at 7.30! If my team aren't playing I will watch NFL Redzone which is basically live highlights of all teams playing at that time with live coverage of the teams close to the opposing teams goal-line. This is what I will always encourage first-time watchers to view as it does away with the adverts that most complain about and gives mostly action.

So yeah it's a big commitment. Oh and I also play in the British leagues for Gateshead Senators. Anyone up this way wanting to try it out; there are rookie days happening throughout the Winter. Next one on the 7th December. Google them or FB it. It's a summer season so although there can be some cold trips to Scotland it;s definitely better than playing in Winter!
User avatar
Dimboyslim
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:19 am
Location: Foothills of the Headlands.

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by Dimboyslim »

I love to watch the NFL.
It started for me back in the early 70's with a Canadian lad I knew at school who used to listen to the American Forces Radio Network so he could keep-up with the scores. He tried to explain the rules to me.
I didn't get interested in the game until I saw the film Mean Machine, (the Burt Reynolds one, not Vinnie's) then Channel 4 started up & had a highlights/results show. In 1983 they showed the Superbowl live. Miami Dolphins v Washington Redskins.
At half time Miami were 17 -10 up. I decided to support the underdogs ( or should that be under-hogs?) Washington.
After a great fight back by the 'Skins, they won it 27-17 & I have been a fan ever since.
At the Wembley games you see plenty of different teams jersey's in the crowd. I think a lot of the supporters at Wembley are just fans of the NFL, who get a chance to experience a 'real' game.But I am not sure if London could sustain a proper NFL 'franchise' team year in year out?
And yes faaip, the clip you posted of the NFL c**k-up was DJax, who is now a Washington player! :roll:
HTTR !
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by The Subhuman »

Dimboyslim wrote: And yes faaip, the clip you posted of the NFL c**k-up was DJax, who is now a Washington player! :roll:
HTTR !

I know, I keep up to date by the minute of all the news in the NFL...nothing gets by me..
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5801
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by Genghers »

MOTliam wrote:So yeah it's a big commitment. Oh and I also play in the British leagues for Gateshead Senators. Anyone up this way wanting to try it out; there are rookie days happening throughout the Winter. Next one on the 7th December. Google them or FB it. It's a summer season so although there can be some cold trips to Scotland it;s definitely better than playing in Winter!
Not sure I'd be cut out fr playing, but I'd definitely like to come watch once the season starts! Been looking for a team up here, but the uni one doesn't seem to play much.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5801
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by Genghers »

I've only been following the NFL for a year or so, after starting to watch the series Friday Night Lights and wanting to understand the game side of it more!

Decided on the Raiders as my team after reading an article with Menelik Watson and being interested in his progression from Football to Basketball to 'Football' :lol:

So far it seems to not be the best choice considering the season they're having, but I still try to catch the games when I can (there are usually streams of every game on a Sunday night). They remind me somewhat of Leeds - prestigious history, but not exactly been great for the past decade and yet they seem to have some of the most devoted and passionate fans in the league!

Makes a weekend a bit ore sad when both Leeds and the Raiders lose, but that first win of the season is going to be great!
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by The Subhuman »

Genghers wrote:I've only been following the NFL for a year or so, after starting to watch the series Friday Night Lights and

wanting to understand the game side of it more!

Decided on the Raiders as my team after reading an article with Menelik Watson and being interested in his progression from Football to Basketball to 'Football' :lol:

So far it seems to not be the best choice considering the season they're having, but I still try to catch the games when I can (there are usually streams of every game on a Sunday night). They remind me somewhat of Leeds - prestigious history, but not exactly been great for the past decade and yet they seem to have some of the most devoted and passionate fans in the league!

Makes a weekend a bit ore sad when both Leeds and the Raiders lose, but that first win of the season is going to be great!
exactly like Leeds, go look up the tuck rule game...the Raiders "Munich"...League hates the Raiders too, stadium is run down.

I've been a Raider fan for 35 years, you only have to look at the avatar and sig,

It has been a poor season and there's a very good chance we go 0-16, but we have the toughest schedule in the league and are still recovering from the cap dump two years ago. But there are green shoots. Mack is living up to the 5 pick, Moore is playing at a very high level too, Just a shame we lost our MIKE.

Jelly looks like he's the guy to shore up the interior for the foreseeable future meaning we could go 3-4 next season, big ugly space eater there. We do need pass rush from the end but that should be a very high draft pick spent there next season

I'm still buying DJ as an high ceiling corner, The injuries will clear and that's a hell of a medical condition to come back from..TJ could be the man on the opposite side, 7th round steal and a top notch PR into the bargain

O line needs work and we need to say bye bye DMC/MJD and either draft a Gordon or let Murray loose.

oh and the HC and DC need to go
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5801
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by Genghers »

faaip wrote:exactly like Leeds, go look up the tuck rule game...the Raiders "Munich"...League hates the Raiders too, stadium is run down.

I've been a Raider fan for 35 years, you only have to look at the avatar and sig,

It has been a poor season and there's a very good chance we go 0-16, but we have the toughest schedule in the league and are still recovering from the cap dump two years ago. But there are green shoots. Mack is living up to the 5 pick, Moore is playing at a very high level too, Just a shame we lost our MIKE.

Jelly looks like he's the guy to shore up the interior for the foreseeable future meaning we could go 3-4 next season, big ugly space eater there. We do need pass rush from the end but that should be a very high draft pick spent there next season

I'm still buying DJ as an high ceiling corner, The injuries will clear and that's a hell of a medical condition to come back from..TJ could be the man on the opposite side, 7th round steal and a top notch PR into the bargain

O line needs work and we need to say bye bye DMC/MJD and either draft a Gordon or let Murray loose.

oh and the HC and DC need to go
And from that post you show how much I still need to learn - only followed about 10% of it... Not up on many of the nicknames/abbreviations!

For instance, why MIKE? As in, how did that come to be a nickname for the middle linebacker? I only gleaned that much from a quick google search.

I also didn't know about DJ's injury which sounds awful!

I'm sure I'll come to get more of it with extended exposure...
User avatar
Bakerjamessteven
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2461
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:49 pm
Location: Rochester Kent

One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by Bakerjamessteven »

We English invented the beautiful game of football.
So that stupid, soft game, with loads padding they call football should be called soccer lol
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by The Subhuman »

soft it isn't...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5801
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by Genghers »

Bakerjamessteven wrote:We English invented the beautiful game of football.
So that stupid, soft game, with loads padding they call football should be called soccer lol
Was jousting soft too?
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by The Subhuman »

great win for the Raiders yesterday...and we looked good doing it too, I feared for our O line after the mauling by the Rams, but we went extra line man a lot of the time and it worked..even allowing Penn in for his 3rd career score...We've gone from the first overall pick (which could have been worth a great deal in trade value) to the 5th now...and I reckon we can win at least one more....

next season we could make a run
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
barryanorak
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3191
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by barryanorak »

Question - How on earth did the Browns manage to lose that game last night?
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: One for faaip and other American football fans

Post by The Subhuman »

Couldn't manage the clock and sooner or later Luck will hurt you if you keep giving him chances...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Post Reply