Steve Evans

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
danhirons
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3881
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: Steve Evans

Post by danhirons »

I think he came across as quite genuine in the press conference - but as we saw with rosler and god knows how many managers, they often can talk the talk but never back it up! Will be expecting to see a lot more fight from the side though.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155459
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Steve Evans

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote:I think he came across as quite genuine in the press conference - but as we saw with rosler and god knows how many managers, they often can talk the talk but never back it up! Will be expecting to see a lot more fight from the side though.
As oppose to the team who have laid down & died in several matches this season :tup:
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79207
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Steve Evans

Post by The Subhuman »

not difficult to keep the Leeds managers job...just win football games, the more you win the longer the lead gets
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5801
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Steve Evans

Post by Genghers »

danhirons wrote:Kept them in the Championship last year.
Two ways of interpreting a lot of stats, but I don't want to be 'kept in' the Championship, I want to see progression.
mav
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Steve Evans

Post by mav »

Genghers wrote: Two ways of interpreting a lot of stats, but I don't want to be 'kept in' the Championship, I want to see progression.
I presume the squad still had guys in it from L2, if so staying up is an achievement, that said I know nothing about the squad they had and funds available etc.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5801
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Steve Evans

Post by Genghers »

mav wrote:I presume the squad still had guys in it from L2, if so staying up is an achievement, that said I know nothing about the squad they had and funds available etc.
Maybe, but they were good enough to get out of League 1... We did excellently for the first season back in the Championship and many of those players werelambasted by many while we were in League 1!

I'm not against him, I'm just arguing that despite his impressive promotion record he's still no better than Rosler in win % or record in this league!
TwatsBack
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:56 am
Twitter: @armleywhite

Re: Steve Evans

Post by TwatsBack »

Genghers wrote: Maybe, but they were good enough to get out of League 1... We did excellently for the first season back in the Championship and many of those players werelambasted by many while we were in League 1!

I'm not against him, I'm just arguing that despite his impressive promotion record he's still no better than Rosler in win % or record in this league!
I think they were only lambasted up to SG taking over?? Lets not forget what that team entailed and who got us back into the championship. Grayson brought out the best in that team, sadly had not much idea in the championship and was let go. I really can't see evans been any better than SG was??
Yup, it's me.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5801
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Steve Evans

Post by Genghers »

TwatsBack wrote:I think they were only lambasted up to SG taking over?? Lets not forget what that team entailed and who got us back into the championship. Grayson brought out the best in that team, sadly had not much idea in the championship and was let go. I really can't see evans been any better than SG was??
Maybe so, I hadn't been following for 7 or 8 years before the 09/10 season. I remember the likes of Johnson and Howson getting stick on here (though not from everyone). Grayson did really well during our first season back, did we not just miss out on playoffs? I think (once again) off-field happenings had a big effect the following year, as well as losing key players like Gradel, Howson etc...

I don't see him being better than SG, but I suppose if it's not working try something else? We've had managers who have bee there and done it in this division (McD, Warnock) and it's not worked. Clearly Rosler's philosophy hasn't won out (though I'd have given him more time), so we move on to something else. Whether Evans will be that successful else we'll just have to see!
TwatsBack
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:56 am
Twitter: @armleywhite

Re: Steve Evans

Post by TwatsBack »

I think it was Twiggs that constantly ran down Howson. However, that aside, it was plain to all the team what was going on. Bates was selling players to fund his building plan and not strengthening the team. Had that been done I do feel l we would be back in the prem by now, but you could see the likes of Snodgrass and Bechio becoming more and more despondent over their mates being sold / wanting out that they too left the team a bare bones squad, imo. I honestly don't think we have recovered from that.
Yup, it's me.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5801
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Steve Evans

Post by Genghers »

TwatsBack wrote:I think it was Twiggs that constantly ran down Howson. However, that aside, it was plain to all the team what was going on. Bates was selling players to fund his building plan and not strengthening the team. Had that been done I do feel l we would be back in the prem by now, but you could see the likes of Snodgrass and Bechio becoming more and more despondent over their mates being sold / wanting out that they too left the team a bare bones squad, imo. I honestly don't think we have recovered from that.
Quite right. We sold all our best assets without replacing them and were fortunate enough that another player could take up the mantle of 'key player' as Becchio/Snoddy did after Beckford, Ross did after Becchio and... erm... I think if you took our League 1 promotion squad, put the current defence at the back and added the likes of Cook, Mowatt and Byram then we'd certainly be title contenders now if we hadn't already been promoted.

We've finally found an owner who actually does seem passionate and driven to take us back to the prem, it's just a shame that he's had/is having to build the squad from the ground up after the mess Bates/GFH left us in. Also that he's mad.
User avatar
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4224
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Re: Steve Evans

Post by Ratscoot »

If I was in a position to make the decision I wouldn't have given SE the job, but he's our manager now so he'll have my full backing and support (suppose like many others) I hope he does really and prove my doubts wrong MOT
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155459
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Steve Evans

Post by 1964white »

mav wrote:
I presume the squad still had guys in it from L2, if so staying up is an achievement, that said I know nothing about the squad they had and funds available etc.
It wasn't great Mav, they signed Paul Green & took Scott Wootton on loan & they were two of their better players :lol:
gessa

Re: Steve Evans

Post by gessa »

They did have a couple of decent midfielders, whose names escape me.
User avatar
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11608
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am

Re: Steve Evans

Post by Gandalf »

gessa wrote:They did have a couple of decent midfielders, whose names escape me.
Ben Pringle and Kieron Agard.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
gessa

Re: Steve Evans

Post by gessa »

Gandalf wrote: Ben Pringle and Kieron Agard.
Thanks Gandi :tup:
User avatar
Crude
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5674
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: 'Merica

Re: Steve Evans

Post by Crude »

TwatsBack wrote:TBH, I'm past caring who the manager is.. This guy will be just another casualty of the (Bates) (GFH) effect :(
fyp :wink:
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155459
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Steve Evans

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Ben Pringle and Kieron Agard.
Aye they were both decent :tup:
Post Reply