Sherlock

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20738
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Sherlock

Post by whiteswan »

Did anyone watch the final episode of Sherlock on Sunday, just watching the recording at the moment, what does anyone think?
User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Sherlock

Post by YorkshireSquare »

whiteswan wrote:Did anyone watch the final episode of Sherlock on Sunday, just watching the recording at the moment, what does anyone think?
Thought the second was the strongest of the series, back to the original premise and style I thought.

The final episode was ok, Moffat trying to be a bit too clever perhaps with too many little twists. If it's to be the last one ever I'd be slightly disappointed it went out on that one.
User avatar
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11608
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am

Re: Sherlock

Post by Gandalf »

So far up its own arse, that it is now getting painful to watch. The first two series were excellent, with the updating to modern day and the introduction of technology really setting it apart. Now it is so far apart from the books that I cannot get interested.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14629
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: Sherlock

Post by hector »

I agree with Gandi, what also doesn't help is that Cabbage patch has one of those faces that you could never tire of hitting with a lump of wood, (looks like someone did it years ago).
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79003
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Sherlock

Post by The Subhuman »

Always second best to the master of the genre Bert Coules (outside of ACD himself) it has been entertaining to a point but Moffat' (who plays with time like no one else) final adventure for BC et al was littered with plot holes even considering the stretches of imagination required to watch "The final Episode" ... unsatisfactory but unfortunately it was always heading this way.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79003
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Sherlock

Post by The Subhuman »

Cumberbatch for me is the number 3 all time Sherlock though
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11608
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am

Re: Sherlock

Post by Gandalf »

faaip wrote:Cumberbatch for me is the number 3 all time Sherlock though
I'm sure that will cheer him up. :o Behind Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett ?
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Norm
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 6930
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: Sherlock

Post by Norm »

SH is the most played character in TV & films so there was enough to go around.

Rathbone was my favorite but that's probably my age showing.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/new ... -tv-41743/
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79003
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Sherlock

Post by The Subhuman »

Gandalf wrote:I'm sure that will cheer him up. :o Behind Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett ?

Merrison and Miller, Merrison being the only one to have ever acted the complete cannon as far as I'm aware
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20738
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Sherlock

Post by whiteswan »

Gandalf wrote:So far up its own arse, that it is now getting painful to watch. The first two series were excellent, with the updating to modern day and the introduction of technology really setting it apart. Now it is so far apart from the books that I cannot get interested.
Totally agree Gandalf. I think had it been a BBC drama with a different name then it would have worked for me, but Sherlock Holmes....? Definitely not!
User avatar
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4221
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Re: Sherlock

Post by Ratscoot »

Love Elementary starring Jonny Lee Miller and obviously the lovely Lucy Liu
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Ricb76
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:32 pm

Re: Sherlock

Post by Ricb76 »

Martin Freeman is the #1 Watson in my eyes, in fact I can't fault the acting of either of them throughout the series. Only the storytelling which got a little bit ridiculous in places. They should have just stuck with adapting the many short stories ACD wrote, plenty of material to be going on with there. Apparently, VASILY LIVANOV is rated as one of the best Shelock's, including by ACD's own daughter. Try as I may though it's proven difficult to get my hands on that series, but I'd love to watch it at sometime.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79003
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Sherlock

Post by The Subhuman »

Michael Williams is my favourite Watson
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Post Reply