Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
Norm
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 6930
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by Norm »

gessa wrote:

I think that's a little harsh Norm.
I totally agree that promotion has to be the number one priority, I said so in the first round we entered, but having said that, you don't expect a second string of 11 professional footballers not to have one single chance in 90 minutes against a group of enthusiastic semi pros, who lie 7 points above the relegation spot in the 5th division. What ever the reasons for Monks decision, the performance wasn't anywhere near good enough. I understand as a fan you have to expect changes in cup games and you pay your money and take your chance but that performance was pitiful, I would have felt cheated if I'd have travelled, let's face it the league cup was treated with more importance for some reason. A lot of stick as been thrown at Whitehouse and McKay who were both woeful but there is probably more concern that, Cooper, Phillips, Grimes and Doukara were just as bad, players you'd expect to lift the young players, Antonnson was totally abject, if Wood does get injured we are well and truly done for, we have to get another striker in, in the next 36 hours or all we can do is hope Wood stays injury free. Non of what we've got are good enough.
'appen

I can't imagine our abysmal performance was by design, but what I expected didn't happen. It just goes to show what a paucity of options (outside the first team) we have. What I worry about is MC showing GM the door because of some perceived slight over non-hire of strengthening players, and I don't want to see an anti-Monk faction growing. I just wish people could understand that we're only doing what Newcastle and Brighton have already done. If you look at other results, teams such as Reading have been only too willing to roll over against higher opposition. They all have the same aim - get out of the jungle, keep out of the Cup/Replay crap. It's such a shame that we can't voluntarily exempt ourselves from the FA Cup but we've got to live with it.

I just wish that people on here would realise that - don't go to games against lower-division teams. It's a sad fact, but the League and FA cups are only for those with two teams, or the ones in mid-table with nothing else to play for. Yes we bucked that trend with the EFL but, too much of that can destroy your main ambition.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19699
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by weasel »

Gary Shaw wrote:The players let you and the other 750 fans down yesterday and most of them have let us down for the last 2.5 years. I think if the likes of Silvestri, Cooper, Grimes, Dallas, Doukara and Antonsson had anything about them they would all chip in together to refund the fans mate. Put it this way I reckon our first 11 (with leaders like Pontus, Bartley, Bridcutt, Wood etc) would have done that if they put in such a pathetic performance or would have at least appeared sorry for what had happened and would have shown some appreciation to the fans. I can't tell you how angry I am at some of those players they undo a lot the good work which our first 11 has built and have done on so many occasions this season. The first 11 is now under pressure now just because of how our second 11 performed yesterday :rant:
Garry couldn't have selected a much stronger squad than that without picking some of the first team mate. McKay is our 4th choice centre back, Whitehouse is our 3rd choice number 10 (however, our 2nd choice Roofe will probably play on Wednesday) with Alex gone. The only player who probably should have played who didn't from our first team is Viera for Grimes/Whitehouse. One thing yesterday has proven is that Silvestri, Cooper, Grimes, Dallas, Doukara and Antonsson need to leave in the summer unless they start to put in some performances between now and the end of the season. I also like the look of the potential loan signing from Villareal
:-D
100% agree
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155218
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote:No, but I'll give you a refund Leon. PM me your expenses for the day and your home address and I'll happily send you a cheque for your days expenses, and I'm quite serious - 200 quid maximum - I have a Lloyds Bank Account in Ilford and I would be happy to reimburse you for your horrendous experience - my only price would be that you stop being such a negative of any kind on Garry Monk - he is the best thing that has happened to our club for so many years, and to hear you bad-mouth him is almost more than I can bear.
Where have I bad mouthed Monk ?

He has openly said that he picked the wrong team

I know he is the best manager we've ever had & I'm really concerned that if he isn't supported by the board in the January Transfer Window we could lose him. Monk has done a marvellous job but that doesn't excuse him from the hurt & expense he put on the Leeds travelling fans through yesterday

I wouldn't dream of taking up your generous refund offer Norm, the real culprits are LUFC & they should offer the 750 fans who will be no doubt be at the Ipswich game at Portman Road some recompense when the tickets go on sale
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155218
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:100% right. Whilst I still wanted the team to win and expected the team to win, even with the weakened side, the line-up was always going to have many changes and as I said earlier the benefit was to give fringe players the chance to impress and gain match fitness so that they would push the regular starting XI. We shouldn't need to put out a better side than we did to beat Sutton who are a mid table team in whatever division they are playing in (no disrespect to them and they deserved the win but they aren't even ripping their own division up).

What exactly were Monk's alternatives. If we looked at 64's suggested line up then we'd have played either Bartley or Jannson alongside Cooper. Like I mentioned earlier we are without Cooper for the next match (if his suspension is straightaway). If we'd also played Jannson or Bartley and they had got banned or injured then we'd be going into the Blackburn game with at best 2 centrebacks available and the youth defender on the bench. Well that is not ideal is it? Even if they didn't get banned or injured they might have picked up bookings and both Bartley and Jannson are near to picking up bans for accumulated yellows. As it was you picked 3 of the back 4 and the keeper that Monk picked so I fail to see how he is disrespecting you. Monk also picked 3 of the 5 midfielders you selected. He also included Dallas who started the last match. So again hardly disrespecting you. Up front and Monk picked the same attacker you picked/expected. So all in all Monk picked 7 of 64's side and also added a first team starter from the last match. That team should be good enough to compete in the championship let alone against a non-league side.

64 you mocked the strength of Newcastle and Brighton's second choice XI well guess what ours aren't great either
I hold my hands up there

Three of our players were not even 2nd XI players

If our squad is not strong enough & if we have no intention of improving this squad in the January Transfer Window we should have retained the likes of Murphy, Diagoraga & Mowatt whom are all better than that pile of dirge GM selected yesterday
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155218
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

becchio bear wrote:Well said Norm, my sentiments exactly. :bear:
Do you like the photo of little 'ol man on page 4 young lady ?
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19699
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by weasel »

It is a balancing act and the squad to some degree is strong enough but only if there is still the nucleus of the strongest XI available. We have shown we can cope with 3 or 4 of the first team being out but that is it. However the EFL cup run has shown that a seriously under-strength team can compete but only if they put the effort in. There would be no point keeping Murphy or Dave to be say 7th or 8th choice midfield players and likewise Mowatt is 3rd choice attacking midfielder and has shown he hasn't the versatility to play on the wing or even standard midfield.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
mav
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by mav »

The reality is, if you change more than 3 or 4 players in a team then you not only deserve to lose, but you probably will.


I blame the manager, 100%
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
User avatar
Cravex
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by Cravex »

Regardless of squad selection, hidden motives, messages to the Board... etc.
Several things were apparent -

Sylvestri - Needs to go. Great shot-stopper, awful decision maker.
Cooper - Needs to go. Has Bellusci/Bamba disease where he's always got mistakes in him.
Grimes - Needs to go. Has shown absolutely nothing in every appearance, bar a couple of tackles away at Brighton.

Phillips - Needs to improve. Dramatically. Wayward passing, poor positioning. Showed a lot of promise early on, now looks lost.
Coyle - Needs to improve. Mistakes in his last two games, lots of potential but he's heading into Frazer Richardson territory.
Denton - Needs to improve. Poor against Cambridge and now this. Out on loan to League 1 or 2 like Charlie did, see if he can really cut it.
Antonsson - Needs to improve. Quickly. Didn't get much service but couldn't retain the ball when it was played into him. Looking a bad signing.

As for the rest...
Doukara - like Redfearn recently said, needs a big game/crowd to get him up for it. No surprises - he wasn't.
Dallas - Hard worker, lacks pace and creativity, key attributes for a winger.
McKay - Surprised to see him start, didn't do much... wrong or right.
Whitehouse - Again a surprise, thought he tried hard but didn't do any damage.

I won't bother with the subs. Very poor all round. I think we must acknowledge that being out of the cup, with our small squad in the promotion hunt, is the best thing for Leeds United right now.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155218
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

Cravex wrote:Regardless of squad selection, hidden motives, messages to the Board... etc.
Several things were apparent -

Sylvestri - Needs to go. Great shot-stopper, awful decision maker.
Cooper - Needs to go. Has Bellusci/Bamba disease where he's always got mistakes in him.
Grimes - Needs to go. Has shown absolutely nothing in every appearance, bar a couple of tackles away at Brighton.

Phillips - Needs to improve. Dramatically. Wayward passing, poor positioning. Showed a lot of promise early on, now looks lost.
Coyle - Needs to improve. Mistakes in his last two games, lots of potential but he's heading into Frazer Richardson territory.
Denton - Needs to improve. Poor against Cambridge and now this. Out on loan to League 1 or 2 like Charlie did, see if he can really cut it.
Antonsson - Needs to improve. Quickly. Didn't get much service but couldn't retain the ball when it was played into him. Looking a bad signing.

As for the rest...
Doukara - like Redfearn recently said, needs a big game/crowd to get him up for it. No surprises - he wasn't.
Dallas - Hard worker, lacks pace and creativity, key attributes for a winger.
McKay - Surprised to see him start, didn't do much... wrong or right.
Whitehouse - Again a surprise, thought he tried hard but didn't do any damage.

I won't bother with the subs. Very poor all round. I think we must acknowledge that being out of the cup, with our small squad in the promotion hunt, is the best thing for Leeds United right now.
Can't argue with that Cravex :tup:
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19699
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by weasel »

Cravex wrote:Regardless of squad selection, hidden motives, messages to the Board... etc.
Several things were apparent -

Sylvestri - Needs to go. Great shot-stopper, awful decision maker.
Cooper - Needs to go. Has Bellusci/Bamba disease where he's always got mistakes in him.
Grimes - Needs to go. Has shown absolutely nothing in every appearance, bar a couple of tackles away at Brighton.

Phillips - Needs to improve. Dramatically. Wayward passing, poor positioning. Showed a lot of promise early on, now looks lost.
Coyle - Needs to improve. Mistakes in his last two games, lots of potential but he's heading into Frazer Richardson territory.
Denton - Needs to improve. Poor against Cambridge and now this. Out on loan to League 1 or 2 like Charlie did, see if he can really cut it.
Antonsson - Needs to improve. Quickly. Didn't get much service but couldn't retain the ball when it was played into him. Looking a bad signing.

As for the rest...
Doukara - like Redfearn recently said, needs a big game/crowd to get him up for it. No surprises - he wasn't.
Dallas - Hard worker, lacks pace and creativity, key attributes for a winger.
McKay - Surprised to see him start, didn't do much... wrong or right.
Whitehouse - Again a surprise, thought he tried hard but didn't do any damage.

I won't bother with the subs. Very poor all round. I think we must acknowledge that being out of the cup, with our small squad in the promotion hunt, is the best thing for Leeds United right now.
Or put simply a lot of players showed why they aren't starting games regularly.

Coyle and Denton definitely need to go out on loan and play regularly to see if they are any good. Unfortunately the squad is not large enough to cover their absence.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79038
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by The Subhuman »

Coyle is fine as our RB3 right now and I'd suggest a major problem is a lack of regular/competitive second team football. Loan probably a good idea for two high upside players.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19699
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by weasel »

mav wrote:The reality is, if you change more than 3 or 4 players in a team then you not only deserve to lose, but you probably will.


I blame the manager, 100%
I blame the manager 100% for giving us our best chance of beating Blackburn with our first choice starting XI all available and hopefully refreshed.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155218
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Sutton v Leeds -

Post by 1964white »

User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79038
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by The Subhuman »

what is it?
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155218
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:what is it?
First half of the show was dedicated to yesterday's fiasco
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79038
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by The Subhuman »

ahh
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
mav
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by mav »

weasel wrote:I blame the manager 100% for giving us our best chance of beating Blackburn with our first choice starting XI all available and hopefully refreshed.

And if we don't?
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19699
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by weasel »

mav wrote:And if we don't?
If we don't beat them then we don't beat them, this is the championship and any team can beat any team and Blackburn have already beaten Newcastle. I certainly feel we have more chance with Monk being able to pick his strongest XI than if Bartley or Jansson was out injured/banned and likewise any of our other regular first team starters. I certainly think we have more chance than if half the team had played on Sunday, picked up a few knocks and were then playing at only 70& fitness or we had a few of the XI that started v Sutton having to start the game due to injuries, tiredness, bans etc
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
mav
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by mav »

weasel wrote:If we don't beat them then we don't beat them, this is the championship and any team can beat any team and Blackburn have already beaten Newcastle. I certainly feel we have more chance with Monk being able to pick his strongest XI than if Bartley or Jansson was out injured/banned and likewise any of our other regular first team starters. I certainly think we have more chance than if half the team had played on Sunday, picked up a few knocks and were then playing at only 70& fitness or we had a few of the XI that started v Sutton having to start the game due to injuries, tiredness, bans etc

Dont buy it, rest 4 players, then more at HT if you are doing well, but you should always try to win your next game before any others IMHO.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Sutton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by becchio bear »

1964white wrote:Do you like the photo of little 'ol man on page 4 young lady ?
I've spotted it :P not so shy now eh unlike when we met in the car park of the Peacock and you hid your face :roflmao: :wink: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
Post Reply