Went to Wembley 1968 League Cup Final vs. Arsenal...LUFC 1 - 0 Arse goal from Terry Cooper (only player wearing white boots). My Auntie was engaged to John Radford from Fitzwilliam playing for Arsenal. I was 7 at the time.
Never even occurred to me to support another...one life one team.. WE R LEEDS Marching on Together
My first game I saw at Elland road was in 1937 when I was 7 years old my uncle took me to watch the Leeds v Sunderland match and they have both been my favourite teams ever since,I emigrated to "GODS COUNTRY" Australia in 1967 and Leeds are still "my team". after our recent loss to Cardiff City it jogged my memory back to the late 40s or early 50s when Leeds were drawn at home three years in a row to Cardiff in the FA cup, and on EVERY occasion Cardiff beat us 2-1 I think they are obviously our BOGEY team.......incidentally the two players in the Leeds team on my first visit to E.R.that I always remember were Willis Edwards the captain and Milburn at fullback......I must be close to being L U longest supporter, ...80 years now and still going strong.
In 1937 my uncle(who was a Leeds supporter) took me,(aged 7) to Elland Road to see my first soccer match,Sunderland were the opposition team, and I have been a staunch Leeds supporter ever since so I must be one of United's longest serving supporters (80 years) I'm afraid I deserted the Mother country in 1967 to emigrate to Australia but I still think of Leeds as "MY TEAM"...my only true disappointment with the team was in the early 1950s when for 3 years in succession they were drawn at home in the 3rd round of the FA cup to Cardiff City and lost 2-1 every year. I think the league defeat to Cardiff a few weeks ago will cost them promotion this year, however I will keep my fingers crossed and HOPE.
Bennyfishel wrote:In 1937 my uncle(who was a Leeds supporter) took me,(aged 7) to Elland Road to see my first soccer match,Sunderland were the opposition team, and I have been a staunch Leeds supporter ever since so I must be one of United's longest serving supporters (80 years) I'm afraid I deserted the Mother country in 1967 to emigrate to Australia but I still think of Leeds as "MY TEAM"...my only true disappointment with the team was in the early 1950s when for 3 years in succession they were drawn at home in the 3rd round of the FA cup to Cardiff City and lost 2-1 every year. I think the league defeat to Cardiff a few weeks ago will cost them promotion this year, however I will keep my fingers crossed and HOPE.
You are very fortunate to suffer only three true disappointments Benny
Hope i make 80, I'm on 54 years following Leeds now
I think we have now blown the chance for promotion,Losing the last two games is bad for the players as much as the supporters,their confidence will be shattered,( as well as mine),......I am 88 years old and I have been saying for several years now "I shall never see my team in the top division in my life" there is SOMETHING" missing at Elland Road that was there in the 70s,I am not sure what it is ...maybe money. or is it really "good talented players?"
Well having thrown an amazing raising bar ( or was it a Aztec
Been troubling me for years that one!!!!) at dickie guy and it hit him right on the back of his nappa.
Things will have to improve from now on.
Ps
If I'd knowing 4 years later that I'd be
Welding lifting lugs as a profession
There is absolutely no way he'd of saved that pen.
As my grand kids say "bad grandpa."
Little buggers
liggy wrote:Well having thrown an amazing raising bar ( or was it a Aztec
Been troubling me for years that one!!!!) at dickie guy and it hit him right on the back of his nappa.
Things will have to improve from now on.
Already I don't like this season . three games in and scum 1 and scum 2 have both won 3 games and are BOTH currently leading on 4th game . Scum1 being Ipscum and scum2 being Cardiff ....... I'm ignoring the scummy elements of Premier League here .
Supported Leeds since 69 (when I was 6).
Born and brought up in the New Forest (between Southampton and Bournemouth), with no car in the family and terrible public transport.
My dad (from Edinburgh) was a mad footy fan (followed Heart home and away before moving down south) so we always watched football on the TV and played in the street. The only team I could follow closely was Leeds (who because of the scottish players were always featured in my dad's scottish paper).
It was Leeds - is Leeds - and will always be Leeds.
I chose my university (york) so I could get to games and have frequently held a season ticket. It's in the blood now, for better or worse - mostly better this season (fingers crossed).
angusweir wrote:Supported Leeds since 69 (when I was 6).
Born and brought up in the New Forest (between Southampton and Bournemouth), with no car in the family and terrible public transport.
My dad (from Edinburgh) was a mad footy fan (followed Heart home and away before moving down south) so we always watched football on the TV and played in the street. The only team I could follow closely was Leeds (who because of the scottish players were always featured in my dad's scottish paper).
It was Leeds - is Leeds - and will always be Leeds.
I chose my university (york) so I could get to games and have frequently held a season ticket. It's in the blood now, for better or worse - mostly better this season (fingers crossed).
Lived in Bournemouth for a few years. My brother still lives there after a family move in the late 70's.
angusweir wrote:Supported Leeds since 69 (when I was 6).
Born and brought up in the New Forest (between Southampton and Bournemouth), with no car in the family and terrible public transport.
My dad (from Edinburgh) was a mad footy fan (followed Heart home and away before moving down south) so we always watched football on the TV and played in the street. The only team I could follow closely was Leeds (who because of the scottish players were always featured in my dad's scottish paper).
It was Leeds - is Leeds - and will always be Leeds.
I chose my university (york) so I could get to games and have frequently held a season ticket. It's in the blood now, for better or worse - mostly better this season (fingers crossed).