QPR V Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Scoreline: QPR v Leeds Utd

Poll ended at Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:33 pm

0-0
No votes
1-1
20%
2-2
No votes
3-3 or higher
No votes
QPR by 1
10%
Leeds by 1
30%
QPR by 2
No votes
Leeds by 2
30%
QPR by 3 or more
No votes
Leeds by 3 or more
10%

Total votes: 10

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: QPR V Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by BGwhite »

SG90 wrote:Of course the season isn't over and there will be more twists and turns, but we need to do something soon to get that spark back as games are running out, only 13 left now.
We'll they're going quicker than you think SG as there are really only 12 Image
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Cjay wrote: But if you want definite improvements they cost, if you wait around for bargains all the time your playing a risky game as we found out with James.

It wouldn't have broke the bank to spend a decent amount in January to replace Saiz and get the winger MB wanted.

We will pay the price for not adding quality like our rivals did in January imo.
Saiz would have paid most of James' transfer fee anyway so its not like AR was going to spend a fortune. Couple of million which in reality is nothing.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

SaraM wrote:I only followed tonight's game on the commentary, but it sounded like we were creating chances which came down to fine margins again. Two or three players finding form could therefore be the difference. Points are like calories in that it doesn't really matter where they come from.
When you see my belly it matters a lot where they come from Image
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Like, no doubt everyone else on here, was totally dejected last night. QPR were not even an average side, they were poor and there for the taking but once again, our inability to make good possession count proved so costly again. Bamford could and should have had at least 2, too slow to anticipate Pablo's equisite ball that just needed a touch in first half and then not clinical enough with the header when the keeper initially saved from Dallas.

Saw a pic of Marcelo on he's haunches outside the changing room last night, head down........it made me feel so sad. He has given every ounce of energy in he's body for the cause and clearly the sides inability to meet he's high standards is beginning to frustrate him even more than us fans !

The term 6 pointer is used probably too often but seldom has it been more apt than on Friday when we play the Baggies. All you guys in attendance who will be there, the team need you more than ever on Friday, we have to make it a cauldron of noise and push the lads on for the whole 90+ minutes. It's clear the side are not firing on all cylinders and in truth we havent for a couple of months now, so our support can hopefully help push them over the line while they regain that missing 20%.
I was nervous before last night, god knows what I will be like leading to the hours before kick off on Friday. Come on Leeds, dont put us through the torture of play offs again - you can do this !!!!
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Saw a pic of Marcelo on he's haunches outside the changing room last night, head down........it made me feel so sad. He has given every ounce of energy in he's body for the cause and clearly the sides inability to meet he's high standards is beginning to frustrate him even more than us fans !

Left me with a very sad image
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

I was equally gutted last night and still feel that way today.
It didn't help that streams kept dropping and I missed all the 2nd half apart from the last 15 minutes.
QPR are a poor side and we should have put them to the sword.
We're getting players back like Bamford, Brown, Douglas and Dallas, but they're clearly nowhere near match fit.
The set pieces that I saw us take were dreadful.
But down to how poor QPR are we still could and should have won this match.
Bielsa feels it more than us.
For me its down to him and the palyers to solve our problems and get sufficient points to get us up automatically.
The problem I see is that we have much tougher games than this to come, so this was a great opportunity wasted.
I'm losing my confidence in these players as they've struggled for a while now.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

They sure are struggling Riot. Maybe time has caught up with them. We all know that they are really average players who for a while over achieved but once they start having bad days the rest of the team aren't good enough to carry them and it takes average players longer to regain form but in the meantime others are also now having bad days and so the cycle had begun. They played well against Derby but probably that's the only time this year . Like a car...it's coughing and spluttering its way through but it needs a major service including a few new parts.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

SG90 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:26 pm I just think we should look into the u23s and use them more. Why did we sign them otherwise? Playing excellent football and full of confidence. Gotts, Stevens, McCalmont, Diaz, Oduor, Bogusz, Kun, Edmondson etc. Give them a chance.
Agreed SG. Not all of them at once of course, but some should be given their chance. Particularly Edmondson.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

BGwhite wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:48 am They sure are struggling Riot. Maybe time has caught up with them. We all know that they are really average players who for a while over achieved but once they start having bad days the rest of the team aren't good enough to carry them and it takes average players longer to regain form but in the meantime others are also now having bad days and so the cycle had begun. They played well against Derby but probably that's the only time this year . Like a car...it's coughing and spluttering its way through but it needs a major service including a few new parts.
Agreed, and this was evident during December and January.
As others have pointed out, we made an excellent signing in Casilla, but the loss of Saiz and the woeful Baker meant we needed to get some creativity and pace in during January. We almost got James, but it fell through. But apart from the new goalie the most important need was a number 10, which is still a gaping void.
We seem pretty impotent at the moment, and rather thn waiting for Brown and Bamford to have an impact I really think that Bielsa must dip into the under 23s to give some spark and impetus.
Its worked with Clarke, Shacleton and Haalme, so why not take the chance.
Throwing Douglas and Dallas on didn't seem like the changes that would win the game for us, and Brown looked like he'd never played footy before :roll:
I really hope Bielsa and the players can turn this round as I would not fancy us in the play-offs.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Think we have a ready made number 10 in Kalvin Phillips, I think it's easily his best position, always has been
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

But is anyone actually expecting many if any changes on Friday
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

faaip wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:10 am But is anyone actually expecting many if any changes on Friday
If the rest of the season is anything to go by, then no.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

faaip wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:07 am Think we have a ready made number 10 in Kalvin Phillips, I think it's easily his best position, always has been
That would be worth a shot Faaip.

Maybe slot Klich or Forshaw at DM, or even Shackleton.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:10 am But is anyone actually expecting many if any changes on Friday
I wouldn't expect any changes. It is still small margins rather than particularly poor performances. We go in front last night we probably win, an early goal and maybe a comfortable win. It isn't like it was an awful performance and we got battered it was just an average performance which boiled down to who got the goal and they did.

If you look at our best performances - Stoke 1st game 1-0 up around 20 minutes, 2 up around half time. Derby (away) we got an early goal, they equalised but we were again in front around the 20 minute mark. Derby (home) 1 up around 20 minutes, 2 up around half time. Norwich we were 1 up around 20 minutes and with getting a second shortly after we again had a 2 goal cushion for the second half. It is hard not to notice the same pattern in those games. Similarly every time we have gone in front we have won. So really the problem has been the same, whether we have played a 'good' or 'bad' side, we need to go in front in the first half. The longer the game goes on then all it needs is a moment of luck (Reach's goal for Sheff Wed), a bit of bad defending, a bit of bad luck, a bit of opposition skill and we go a goal down and then the match becomes much harder. The longer the game goes on with it being level then the longer we don't look great too because we are trying to prise openings when it is very congested, get in front, especially by a couple and the spaces suddenly open up and the champagne football can be played.

Bielsa rightly cuts a frustrated figure. He knows that 90% of what we are doing is right but we just can't score the goals we should.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:22 am If the rest of the season is anything to go by, then no.
Unlikely, unless someone is injured
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Think our main problem stems from not making ourselves difficult to score against. Started at Forest 2 1 up and instead of making them work for goals we're gung ho and make it easy, we are then chasing games and becoming more vulnerable. If and buts regarding transfers didn't happen, chat all you like about it, makes no difference.

When it comes together we are as good as anyone in the division currently it's not happening hopefully things change. I understand the clamour for Clarke to to start but his best performances have come off the bench don't think he a full game player quite yet.

Fully expect a response Friday and all will be fine on here again till the next defeat 😀
Enjoy the ride folks it's been fun so far👍
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Re changes.

I don't care if they have to play Molly the tea lady on the right. Hernandez MUST be allowed to operate from the middle.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

No Plan B.. is a narrative often used widely.
Can Marcelo adapt to another option( b. ) probably not.
So we may be soon adrift from top 2, its some'at we can still figure out. So keeping our focus and belief is of course necessary. The Big games particularly at Elland road. Now become so important to win and we still can muster relevant points away from home.
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

weasel wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:36 am I wouldn't expect any changes. It is still small margins rather than particularly poor performances. We go in front last night we probably win, an early goal and maybe a comfortable win. It isn't like it was an awful performance and we got battered it was just an average performance which boiled down to who got the goal and they did.

If you look at our best performances - Stoke 1st game 1-0 up around 20 minutes, 2 up around half time. Derby (away) we got an early goal, they equalised but we were again in front around the 20 minute mark. Derby (home) 1 up around 20 minutes, 2 up around half time. Norwich we were 1 up around 20 minutes and with getting a second shortly after we again had a 2 goal cushion for the second half. It is hard not to notice the same pattern in those games. Similarly every time we have gone in front we have won. So really the problem has been the same, whether we have played a 'good' or 'bad' side, we need to go in front in the first half. The longer the game goes on then all it needs is a moment of luck (Reach's goal for Sheff Wed), a bit of bad defending, a bit of bad luck, a bit of opposition skill and we go a goal down and then the match becomes much harder. The longer the game goes on with it being level then the longer we don't look great too because we are trying to prise openings when it is very congested, get in front, especially by a couple and the spaces suddenly open up and the champagne football can be played.

Bielsa rightly cuts a frustrated figure. He knows that 90% of what we are doing is right but we just can't score the goals we should.
if, if and more ifs . be f**king honest for once that was a poor performance against a very poor team. fed up with all the same old excuses and nonsense. we wasn't good enough end off . fact is if we don't get roofe and clarke back quickly we all can kiss promotion goodbye.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Where would Roofe play? Do you drop Bamford?