Musical instruments

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
SelmaBamaMan
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:37 am
Location: home town Selma, AL

Re: Musical instruments

Post by SelmaBamaMan »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:06 pm I won't try Goo Gone then, whatever that is! Sounds like a similar effect to the nail varnish remover. The person suggesting 'human oil' might be on to something, as it does rub off under my fingers after a while.

Put on the expensive Gretsch knobs, didn't like them. Same problem as the originals, look too large for such a small bodied guitar. Tried some old Fender amp knobs, and they were ok, then managed to get one SG knob on by squeezing the shaft (oo er!). That looked best, so I'm persevering with those.

Anyone reading this who isn't a guitar nerd must be thinking, what on earth's she on about. I'll faff with it until I get it right, and then forget about it and just get on with playing it.
I'll call the technician at Sam Ash Music in Orlando tomorrow and ask him what he uses to take off glue left after removing the pick guard. He'll tell me because I gave him a bottle of Loctite Professional super glue and he know uses it where appropriate in place of what he used before. He'll ask the model, finish year it was made. It won't cost me anything to call.

If somebody says "what on earth's she on about...etc", will probably regret just jamming it on and get on playing and would love playing more if they paid attention to their instrument.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2911
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Musical instruments

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Always wanted to play guitar after listening to Gary Moore and Ronnie Montrose years ago alas not patient enough.
SelmaBamaMan
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:37 am
Location: home town Selma, AL

Re: Musical instruments

Post by SelmaBamaMan »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:27 am Thanks. It's a Taylor GS Mini, bought new a couple of months ago, so presumably made in 2018.
I talked to the technician, Rob, at Sam Ash Music. He said he uses ordinary WD 40 oil and a lot of paper towels to remove the residual glue. If you’ve not come across WD-40 it’s a thin oil in a spray can which is used to loosen up very tight nuts and bolts. He puts a little WD 40 on a paper towel and rubs and then wipes it off with a paper towel. You’ll have to do it several times to remove residual glue. He also uses Deoxite which is used to clean recording equipment. He uses it the same way as the WD 40. Either should work if you have the normal Taylor finishes on your GS Mini. Rob was happy to help.

Sam Ash Music is a big retailer with several stores across the US but all their people are musicians interested only in helping you play. So remarkable in that respect that I put that on their site and then ended up talking to “Sammy” the owner and had a few laughs about the traffic I drive through for 2 hours to get to his store (he sometimes drove through same traffic on the same roads when he comes to Florida).
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2911
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Musical instruments

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:30 pm Give it a go! As long as you can make a sound that you like, start simple and build up. It's addictive, and a great way to unwind.
May well do that, got a yamaha pacifica and practice amp currently for show 😂
SelmaBamaMan
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:37 am
Location: home town Selma, AL

Re: Musical instruments

Post by SelmaBamaMan »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: ↑Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:17 pm Always wanted to play guitar after listening to Gary Moore and Ronnie Montrose years ago alas not patient enough.

The frustrating part is practicing to achieve what you want. The thing to do is to break something down to micro goals that correspond to being able to play a song along with a recording. For example, get an easy 3 chord song for beginners off the internet. Practice each chord on the guitar neck by putting your fingers where they are supposed to be that chord.

Then pull the hand off while keeping the shape and then put the fingers back down where they are supposed to be. Do it over and over slowly without looking at the neck. Then increase the speed slowly until you can do it at the same tempo as the song. That is completion of the first micro goal of learning the first chord. Then do the same thing for each chord. That is completion of the second and third micro goals. Then, you repeat the process for the chord sequence. E, A, D if that is the sequence of the song. After a while, you’ll notice that the finger (your index finger) never moves off the string which is the fourth string. That is the pivot finger and speeds up your ability to move through the song’s sequence. On all that, you start sloooooooow until you have it down pat and then increase the tempo of all the foregoing.

I didn’t make much progress until I realized no one ever tells you how to practice. I bought a book called “The Practice of Practice” in the field of music. I realized it was no different from how I learned other things. For example, it was same as when I was a receiver on a running American football team. The coaches’ training practice was to slowly walk in a simulated game body posture for each pass reception pattern and each type of block and do it over and over, then do the same at a faster walk until I could do it at full speed. In the process I noticed there was identical strides in the strides of the patterns and the strides into each type of block. That was the equivalent of the above "pivot finger."

You should try again. The internet has a lot of things for you if you include beginner in the search terms.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2911
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Musical instruments

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Cheers I am going to give it ago again
SelmaBamaMan
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:37 am
Location: home town Selma, AL

Re: Musical instruments

Post by SelmaBamaMan »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:16 pm Thanks for taking the trouble. Yes, I've got WD 40, I actually squirt it into an old Fast-Fret stick to wipe on the strings. I've always been careful to keep it off the wood though, so it's good to know that it won't do any harm.
I just remembered Rob said don't put alcohol on it -- his exact words were "it'll tear it up."
SelmaBamaMan
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:37 am
Location: home town Selma, AL

Re: Musical instruments

Post by SelmaBamaMan »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: ↑Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:20 pm Cheers I am going to give it ago again
I found these two things indispensible. I still use them.
Stretching exercises for guitarists. This is what I do before practicing or playing. I’ve increased the span of my fingers using these. It’s the same as athletes stretching before training, running etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSrfB7JIzxY

Get one of these. It makes it easier to develop hand, finger, forearm strength, and calluses and maintain them. It’s adjustable so its cheaper than buying replacements as you get stronger. Its use will make it easier to practice and play. Play the video (the last little icon in the column on the left).
https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Varigri ... B001OCGGEM

The very best thing about taking up the guitar is you can ask another player and they will do their best to answer you. Its like joining a social group that has no admission requirements, no probationary designation to see if you are worthy of being treated an equal – no question is unworthy of answering. Some retailer’s have sales people who do not act they way. But not all retailers are like that. You find out which one is which only by asking questions.

If there’s anything you want to know, send me a personal message on here.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2911
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Musical instruments

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

👌
User avatar
woodfordwhites
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1838
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: east london

Re: Musical instruments

Post by woodfordwhites »

Hey. I began to get involved in playing the guitar. For decades, Gibson has been one of the world's leading guitar manufacturers. I recently bought a guitar for myself. But I did not buy a new one. I got the guitar in good condition. I found a person who sells used musical instruments online. If you need it, you can write to me by mail, and I will give you the contacts of this person.
Last edited by woodfordwhites on Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WestgateRun
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 518
Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 7:53 pm
Location: Wakefield

Re: Musical instruments

Post by WestgateRun »

At the beginning of lockdown, I decided to spend my extra spare time usefully and keep myself busy. So I have been practicing the (electric) piano every day.
It has been time well spent, as I can now play "Marching on Together"!
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78989
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Musical instruments

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm learning the triangle ....
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Durly
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2339
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Musical instruments

Post by Durly »

Decided three years ago (aged 49) that I would like to learn bass. I'd wanted to for God knows how many years but never got round to it. Bought this beauty and played it most days for about a year but when we moved house it got put in the loft for a bit and I stopped playing. it's now back in my music room and I've just started picking it up again but I'm almost back to square one again. I'm hugely ill disciplined, which is my main problem.
Attachments
Bass.jpg
Image
User avatar
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois

Re: Musical instruments

Post by John in Louisiana »

faaip wrote: ↑Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:22 pm I'm learning the triangle ....
Nearly fifteen years ago, Christine Balfa, the daughter of Cajun music legend Dewey Balfa and a Cajun music legend in her own right, thought it would be funny to record an album of solo triangle music. She did it as a joke, but certain people in the press took it seriously and declared it a work of genius. Got to know Christine when I was on the board of directors of Louisiana Folk Roots.

I own a copy and Christine was kind enough to sign it for me.

http://www.valcourrecords.com/downloads ... e-triangle

Here's a video of Christine with her band Balfa Toujours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuMEhIoN9hw
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78989
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Musical instruments

Post by The Subhuman »

Nice ..I'm still trying to master it.
Looks like I've got a ways to go ....Can't master that broken spoke in a bicycle wheel sound
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Post Reply