Leeds Utd v Nottingham Forest - Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Nottingham Forest - Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Marcelo is like a cat, he seems reluctant to change his habits, all very predictable not only to our fans but to the opposition coaches.

We need to be more adventurous at certain times. I would always use pace in the team something we've lacked for years. Teams including ourselves hate it when attackers run at pace towards them
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Two things that cause chaos in this league are set pieces and pace. We're crap at set pieces, but have abundance of pace now with Nketiah, Costa, Clarke, Shackleton and Roberts, last year we had no threat after Saiz left and Clarke collapsed. West Brom were a much worse team after Harvey Barnes was recalled last year.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:15 am Have we not learned our lessons from our previous three home games ?

Coasting against Wigan then they went down to ten men.....

Making Villa look daft then we give them a goal so Villa & the football league wouldn't sulk, passionate Pontus was having none of it & now he's gone

We're 2-0 up on aggregate v Derby & contrived to chuck the game away in 20 minutes of madness

Yesterday all last seasons frustrations came flooding back with us in total control, still missing chances & gifting yet another soft goal

So we haven't won one of our last four home games, all four have a similar theme.
No reply to my post from anyone, I suppose no one can disagree with the above content
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Nope!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Very early in the season though...ringing the changes and experimentation now would be as useful as sprinting the first mile in a marathon.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:12 am The other downside is we have no real threat from set pieces ourselves, we had a succession of corners yesterday and never looked like getting near any of them. I know it’s the type of player MB wants but our lack of aerial ability is a gaping hole in our armoury.
I love MB i really do but i can see why he hasnt been as successful as his students, Pep, Simeone etc in terms of trophies.

They adapt, look at Spurs, lots of height and power, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Dier, Sissoko, Wanyama etc which you need in the Prem.

Man City are the same.

Even Barcelona have Pique and Busquets.

Obviously its much easier to find the perfect players for those teams but i do think we could find players who can play BielsaBall but are more physically suited to this league if we really tried.

Semi Ajayi who WBA signed for £1mil stuck me as decent on the ball when i saw him for Rotherham for example but also a giant figure.

MB sticks to his ideals and picks his team based on them but you need a physical edge in this league.

Wolves for all they played lovely football had a huge team, Boly, Bennett, Coady, Saiss etc.

I think it is a blind spot but MB isnt going to change at 64.
Last edited by Cjay on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:15 am Have we not learned our lessons from our previous three home games ?

Coasting against Wigan then they went down to ten men.....

Making Villa look daft then we give them a goal so Villa & the football league wouldn't sulk, passionate Pontus was having none of it & now he's gone

We're 2-0 up on aggregate v Derby & contrived to chuck the game away in 20 minutes of madness

Yesterday all last seasons frustrations came flooding back with us in total control, still missing chances & gifting yet another soft goal

So we haven't won one of our last four home games, all four have a similar theme.
MB is stubborn so i dont expect him to learn as such.

He will just believe he can find solutions in his ideals.

Its why he is so legendary.

But we do seem to have the same issues, or we did vs Forest.

Not clinical, very undersized and still trying to walk the ball into the net.

You need pace in this league, we have it now, Costa, Clarke, Shacks, Nketiah, we have to use them because logically if you play the same players as last season then the same issues will still appear.
Signed

King Cjay

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote: No reply to my post from anyone, I suppose no one can disagree with the above content
Leeds go into panic mode once teams start to have a go at them. The last 15 against Bristol was panicky as was Forest yesterday. Leeds don't know how to game manage and Bielsa doesn't help with his substitutions which are quite bewildering at times.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

faaip wrote:Very early in the season though...ringing the changes and experimentation now would be as useful as sprinting the first mile in a marathon.
Pablo, Bamford, Kiko, Klich, Phillips, Cooper, Harrison, White all rested imo. These are probably first on MB's first team sheet so no point in risking them in this competition. The rest plus backups should be able to cope with Salford.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

For the cup game obviously, but I'm talking in the league
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

faaip wrote:For the cup game obviously, but I'm talking in the league
Harrison didn't look good when he came off possibly injured so that would force a change maybe allowing Costa in but why on earth he's not starting anyway is another mystery.

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:07 pm
You need pace in this league, we have it now, Costa, Clarke, Shacks, Nketiah, we have to use them because logically if you play the same players as last season then the same issues will still appear.
We've lacked pace for years, now we have quick players in our ranks we need to use them.

Championship defenders hate pacey players running at them just as we do, at times we are so predictable, we now have the options to offer something different & hopefully create mayhem :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not really, It's Bielsa's way..and why James wouldn't have made much of an impression for us last season had we sighed him in the window. Bogusz looks every bit as good as James and he can't get close to the first team starters
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:03 pm Not really, It's Bielsa's way..and why James wouldn't have made much of an impression for us last season had we signed him in the window. Bogusz looks every bit as good as James and he can't get close to the first team starters
James has just scored for Man Ure on his debut within minutes of coming on as a sub

Of course James would have made a difference, I suspect Marcelo was pig-sick when we missed out on that one
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:03 pm Not really, It's Bielsa's way..and why James wouldn't have made much of an impression for us last season had we sighed him in the window. Bogusz looks every bit as good as James and he can't get close to the first team starters
Oh come on.

Bogusz looks talented but hasnt played a minute of competitive first team football above the Polish pub league.

James is an £18mil player whose just scored on his Premier league debut after really impressing 2nd half of the season for Swansea.

MB never signs players in January, MB wanted James which is unusual, if MB wanted James he was going to use him very quickly imo and he must have thought he could or he wouldn't have wanted him.

MB doesnt do January signings because it takes time for them to get to his standard, he must have thought James was close or he wouldn't have been interested.

Talking earlier about the need for pace through the middle, thats what James was for, he was the Saiz replacement imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:02 pm We've lacked pace for years, now we have quick players in our ranks we need to use them.

Championship defenders hate pacey players running at them just as we do, at times we are so predictable, we now have the options to offer something different & hopefully create mayhem :)
Lets hope we use them :)

Costa, Nketiah, Hernandez :)

Clarke Shacks Hernandez

Harrison, Costa Clarke

Nketiah, Hernandez, Costa

Lots and lots of options and variations.
Signed

King Cjay

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Leeds weren't going to spend 8 mil on James and put him in the 23's. He was going straight into the first team squad and very shortly would have been a starter. You don't buy players like him to stagnate behind the scenes. After his goal today he left Kante for dead but Kante brought him down as he knew James' pace was too much and Kante is no slouch ! This kid can be anything he wants and I'm convinced he would have got Leeds up but that ship has sailed.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He'd have been a bench player ..plus I don't think we offered 8M...Costa is double that, proven and still a bench player atm.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Cjay wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:03 pm
They adapt, look at Spurs, lots of height and power, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Dier, Sissoko, Wanyama etc which you need in the Prem.
And lets not forget about those Short arses who played tic tac for Spain won the world cup...Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi and Villa
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

faaip wrote:He'd have been a bench player ..plus I don't think we offered 8M...Costa is double that, proven and still a bench player atm.
Well let's just hope that Bielsa realizes the sort of influence Costa can have in games sooner rather than later because having him in from the start is a no brainer for me .