Eddie Nketiah
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- Irish Ian
- Superstar

- Posts: 17184
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
- Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.
Re: Eddie Nketiah
I know what you are saying.
Thing is though that Eddie has a good few minutes playing against stronger opposition than some of our lads have come up against. So it isnt as if he is 4 games away from match fitness.
And there no point on keeping him out then throwing him in because of injuries.
One way or another Bamford should not play on Tuesday. We have a busy schedule coming up, with two games a week for the next few weeks.
Thing is though that Eddie has a good few minutes playing against stronger opposition than some of our lads have come up against. So it isnt as if he is 4 games away from match fitness.
And there no point on keeping him out then throwing him in because of injuries.
One way or another Bamford should not play on Tuesday. We have a busy schedule coming up, with two games a week for the next few weeks.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20762
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
Re: Eddie Nketiah
In one way I can understand Bielsa wanting players up to his very own exacting standards. But I find it frustrating that we have a ready made goalscorer in Nketiah and he's not even on the bench? I mean, what's wrong with say, 20 mins to go saying g to the lad "Ok, off you go. Go and show me what you can do...go and score me a goal" Whats wrong with that? How many 'new' signings have scored for their new clubs this weekend.....a few I think....the lad at Spurs for one.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79102
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Eddie Nketiah
And what's wrong with letting him settle in, sort out his living arrangements and meet the lads before he gets his first outing. I doubt he's even trained with us yet..I know if I got a new job up North I wouldn't want to start the same day I was moving up..He'd have gone back down to London late Thursday or on Friday (probably Friday) packed up his stuff and maybe headed back up today..I don't know that but it seems reasonable to mewhiteswan wrote: ↑Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:24 pm In one way I can understand Bielsa wanting players up to his very own exacting standards. But I find it frustrating that we have a ready made goalscorer in Nketiah and he's not even on the bench? I mean, what's wrong with say, 20 mins to go saying g to the lad "Ok, off you go. Go and show me what you can do...go and score me a goal" Whats wrong with that? How many 'new' signings have scored for their new clubs this weekend.....a few I think....the lad at Spurs for one.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79102
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Eddie Nketiah
If we start to doubt the manager, that's when it all starts to go pear shaped..Some managers deserve to be doubted and called out but I'm not there yet with Marcelo.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- BGwhite
- Superstar

- Posts: 6571
- Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am
Re: Eddie Nketiah
Maybe after the defeat at Salford ...oops !faaip wrote:If we start to doubt the manager, that's when it all starts to go pear shaped..Some managers deserve to be doubted and called out but I'm not there yet with Marcelo.
Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79102
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Eddie Nketiah
Don't think I'd sack a manager based on a result in a mickey mouse cup game...But I guess a few Leeds fans would.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41746
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: Eddie Nketiah
Tbf questioning him isnt unfair, happens to all managers everywhere.
MB makes mistakes, we know it, he knows it, everyone knows it.
Doesn't mean any of us dont love him but he makes errors like all managers.
Not necessarily on Nketiah today but in general he has made costly errors in his time here, part of the game.
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79102
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Eddie Nketiah
But they're his errors to make and ultimately who are we to think we KNOW better. He's right more often than any of us areCjay wrote: ↑Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:20 pm Tbf questioning him isnt unfair, happens to all managers everywhere.
MB makes mistakes, we know it, he knows it, everyone knows it.
Doesn't mean any of us dont love him but he makes errors like all managers.
Not necessarily on Nketiah today but in general he has made costly errors in his time here, part of the game.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41746
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: Eddie Nketiah
He obviously knows a lot more then all of us put together but he still makes errors and fans will talk about them same as when players make errors.
His subs today for example, not rotating enough last season (admitted that himself), i dont think MB would mind us discussing him and saying "i think he should have done .. . . ".
Nobody is calling for him to resign when questioning him but isnt this forum designed for discussing the club? Talking about tactics and selections and what not is part of that Shirley?
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79102
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Eddie Nketiah
Depends if the agenda is purely negative or balanced..I'll do balanced all day long, no interest in negative for negative sake. In game anything goes for me, if Phillips is junk imo I'll say so. Post game I'll reset and understand that that's football and it ain't changed in 100 years, he'll be better next time or the time after that. I've seen it all before and I've seen it when were were great and when we were s**t.
I'd be as disparaging of the overly confident and overly enthusiastic too
I'd be as disparaging of the overly confident and overly enthusiastic too
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20762
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
Re: Eddie Nketiah
Okay, I do get what you're saying faaip.faaip wrote: ↑Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:09 pm And what's wrong with letting him settle in, sort out his living arrangements and meet the lads before he gets his first outing. I doubt he's even trained with us yet..I know if I got a new job up North I wouldn't want to start the same day I was moving up..He'd have gone back down to London late Thursday or on Friday (probably Friday) packed up his stuff and maybe headed back up today..I don't know that but it seems reasonable to me
But....in the eighties I took a plunge and accepted a job dental nursing in the middle east...I arrived at my destination in the middle of the night after a seven hour flight. I was expected to join an induction course at 10.00 am that morning which I did. The following morning I was at work in the dental surgery. I didn't have time to 'settle in'....I was on a contract to work. I didn't know my work colleagues but just got on with the job I was good at. I did eventually get to know my work colleagues (team mates) by working with them.
Our new striker didn't have a seven hour flight, he isn't working in a foreign country....he could and should have been on the bench.
Also...if we are saying that players need so much time to settle in, then why do we sign a player, in the last minute of the last day of the transfer window. Why dont we get our transfer business done earlier, like most other clubs....
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155360
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Eddie Nketiah
Great point Swanniewhiteswan wrote: ↑Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:14 am Okay, I do get what you're saying faaip.
But....in the eighties I took a plunge and accepted a job dental nursing in the middle east...I arrived at my destination in the middle of the night after a seven hour flight. I was expected to join an induction course at 10.00 am that morning which I did. The following morning I was at work in the dental surgery. I didn't have time to 'settle in'....I was on a contract to work. I didn't know my work colleagues but just got on with the job I was good at. I did eventually get to know my work colleagues (team mates) by working with them.
Our new striker didn't have a seven hour flight, he isn't working in a foreign country....he could and should have been on the bench.
Also...if we are saying that players need so much time to settle in, then why do we sign a player, in the last minute of the last day of the transfer window. Why dont we get our transfer business done earlier, like most other clubs....![]()
Unfortunately comparing civvy street to the world of football is a totally different entity, in fact comparing other football clubs to Leeds United is a different entity
- BGwhite
- Superstar

- Posts: 6571
- Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am
Re: Eddie Nketiah
Nketiah has had a full pre season with Arsenal and playef against some very good opposition, theres no reason he cant start against Salford to keep his match sharpness and fitness, he's a young lad for gods sake and is eager to be out there. He'll learn more on the pitch than he will on the bench and he'll be more prepared for Wigan.
Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
- Irish Ian
- Superstar

- Posts: 17184
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
- Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.
Re: Eddie Nketiah
That's true, this is a discussion forum, regarding yesterday I think we will get over dropping the two points, other sides will do the same.Cjay wrote: ↑Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:14 pm He obviously knows a lot more then all of us put together but he still makes errors and fans will talk about them same as when players make errors.
His subs today for example, not rotating enough last season (admitted that himself), i dont think MB would mind us discussing him and saying "i think he should have done .. . . ".
Nobody is calling for him to resign when questioning him but isnt this forum designed for discussing the club? Talking about tactics and selections and what not is part of that Shirley?
Not sure we would get over Mucho Grande though...
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
-
SG90
- Superstar

- Posts: 23144
- Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm
Re: Eddie Nketiah
Bielsa would've been preparing for Forest since Sunday evening, so Nketiah was never going to go straight in, as he would need to make last minute alterations. He will start Tuesday.
-
SG90
- Superstar

- Posts: 23144
- Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm
Re: Eddie Nketiah
The players we sold this summer weren't on huge wages, so we've hardly brought the wage bill down with Costa and Nketiah coming in on big money. I'm unsure how much Clarke's wages will be paid, but his wage has shot up from £1k to £20k as well. Getting rid of ten players on £4k to bring in a player on £35k is not bringing the wage bill down.
- weasel
- Superstar

- Posts: 19704
- Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
- Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet
Re: Eddie Nketiah
The trouble is when questioning decisions and describing them as errors it is based on the assumption that another decision would have made the result better but it could just as easily have made the result worse. Take the decision to play Forshaw alongside Klich and Phillips and maybe that is an error because we lacked the attacking flair to maybe create some more chances - however the flip side is that we didn't really allow Forest to create anything and suffocated their midfield. Perhaps if Bogusz played he wouldn't have been as disciplined as Forshaw and Forest see more of the ball in midfield and create a few chances and beat us 3-2, Bogusz scoring for us but we allow Forest to have more chances and they score a couple more.Cjay wrote: ↑Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:14 pm He obviously knows a lot more then all of us put together but he still makes errors and fans will talk about them same as when players make errors.
His subs today for example, not rotating enough last season (admitted that himself), i dont think MB would mind us discussing him and saying "i think he should have done .. . . ".
Nobody is calling for him to resign when questioning him but isnt this forum designed for discussing the club? Talking about tactics and selections and what not is part of that Shirley?
Take the decision not to play Eddie and Bielsa has always been the same in that he wants new players to get used to the way we play before playing them, just look at Costa on the bench. Hopefully a training session today or Monday and then a run out for him on Tuesday. Would it have been the right decision to have him in the squad and bring him on? Yes if he came on and scored but that is easier to judge in hindsight as he could have come on and done nothing not even knowing his teammates names and taken the place of someone who might have scored or might have won us a penalty (if the referee hadn't been severely warned as to his future conduct after refereeing us 5 times last season and us not losing once).
Not saying Bielsa doesn't make errors but ultimately he has done wonders for this team and it is because of a lot of his potential errors, that don't turn out to be errors, that we are doing so well.
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
- NorfolkWhite
- Manager

- Posts: 4912
- Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:57 am
Re: Eddie Nketiah
I think Marcelo would actually love a fans forum to discuss and debate tactics. As for him going - hell no, cant believe anyone would even contemplate that, best football we’ve played in two decades with what everyone accepted last year was not the best squad, now if Marcelo had a real squad.....that could be something.Cjay wrote: ↑Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:14 pm He obviously knows a lot more then all of us put together but he still makes errors and fans will talk about them same as when players make errors.
His subs today for example, not rotating enough last season (admitted that himself), i dont think MB would mind us discussing him and saying "i think he should have done .. . . ".
Nobody is calling for him to resign when questioning him but isnt this forum designed for discussing the club? Talking about tactics and selections and what not is part of that Shirley?
- YorkshireSquare
- Administrator

- Posts: 15046
- Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
- Twitter: @motforum
- Location: Leeds
- Contact:
Re: Eddie Nketiah
Eddie Nketiah vs. Brentford:
14 mins played
7 touches
3 passes
2 shots
2 shots on-target
2 ball recoveries
1 interception
1 corner won
1 goal
An impressive 14 minutes!
14 mins played
7 touches
3 passes
2 shots
2 shots on-target
2 ball recoveries
1 interception
1 corner won
1 goal
An impressive 14 minutes!
- John in Louisiana
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 13930
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
- Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois
Re: Eddie Nketiah
Couple of pieces of brilliance from Eddie and Costa that casual fans would miss.........
First, on his centering pass, Costa created the lane by wrong-footing the defender, who was expecting Costa to use his right foot for the pass. Instead, he centered the ball using the outside of his left foot. I used to try doing that when I played, but could never achieve any sort of accuracy and certainly not with the pace Costa had on the ball. Massive display of skill. I can't imagine how many hours of practice it took to be able to make that pass so effortlessly.
As for Nketiah, as he was approaching the goal, he drove the man marking him to the near post. But as Costa tuned the corner, Eddie drew back toward the far post, leaving the defender completely at sea. By the time Costa's beautiful centering pass got to him, there wasn't a defender within five yards.
That goal is why they call this the beautiful game. I know I'm repeating myself, but when these two start getting more minutes together we are going to put a serious hurt on this league.
First, on his centering pass, Costa created the lane by wrong-footing the defender, who was expecting Costa to use his right foot for the pass. Instead, he centered the ball using the outside of his left foot. I used to try doing that when I played, but could never achieve any sort of accuracy and certainly not with the pace Costa had on the ball. Massive display of skill. I can't imagine how many hours of practice it took to be able to make that pass so effortlessly.
As for Nketiah, as he was approaching the goal, he drove the man marking him to the near post. But as Costa tuned the corner, Eddie drew back toward the far post, leaving the defender completely at sea. By the time Costa's beautiful centering pass got to him, there wasn't a defender within five yards.
That goal is why they call this the beautiful game. I know I'm repeating myself, but when these two start getting more minutes together we are going to put a serious hurt on this league.